Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By gaycarebear
  • 2 Post By sco
  • 1 Post By n8van2
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By buckeyecarriefan
  • 4 Post By carriecountrystar
  • 4 Post By Oneal
  • 1 Post By carriecountrystar

Thread: Kacey Musgraves Interview: Shade at Miranda and Carrie?

  1. #1
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472

    Kacey Musgraves Interview: Shade at Miranda and Carrie?

    Kacey did a recent interview with the Washington Post...and one quote is rather interesting.

    “I’m just so over the angry . . . scorned female perspective,” she says. “And it seems like that’s the only option for females today in country. ‘You did me wrong and now I’m gonna burn your house down!’ I have no way to relate to that. Of course I get angry, but I want to use my brain a little bit and not just smash things.”

    Kacey Musgraves, country music?s new real deal - The Washington Post


    The irony is that she co-wrote Miranda's "Mama's Broken Heart." Hmmmm.

    Everyone should read the rest of the interview. It's really cool...and makes me love Kacey even more.

    Thoughts?
    Zman312 likes this.

  • #2
    sco
    sco is offline
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,134
    I wouldn't call if shade. I think she was just saying she wants to do something different. Personally I love Mama's Broken Heart but I'm not a fan of Merry Go Round. Merry Go Round is just so defeatist and depressing that I'm not sure why people like it. I am happy to see more women having success in country and I applaud her for trying to do something bold and innovative.
    desubear and epicamends like this.

  • #3
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472
    ^I have a personal connection to "Merry Go 'Round." I'm from a small town and that "let's settle down and get married and have tons of kids" sentiment is what my hometown is about.

  • #4
    New Carrie Fan n8van2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    14
    Lol there's definitely no way she has beef with Miranda considering Miranda helped her co-write half of her previous album! Also, I don't think she was taking a dig at either, if anything I think she was taking a dig at the industry saying "look Miranda and Carrie are successful doing the revenge thing but now they won't let women do anything BUT that so I'm going to take a different approach and try to gain success" Maybe I'm just biased because I love all 3, but I don't think she meant it as a negative towards either.
    Farawayhills likes this.

  • #5
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,071
    The suggestion that she was aiming that comment at Miranda was added to the article by the writer. I agree with the last poster - the comment is really directed at the industry and Mainstream radio, for making "wronged women" revenge songs such a high expectation for female singers. In fact, though, those songs are popular with singers, songwriters, and audiences, and there are likely to be more of them - they're also popular (probably even more so) in the Alternative sector. Lisa Carver's "Whiskey and a Gun" is an outstanding current example.

    Kacey uses the example of the woman burning a house down. That suggests to me Gretchen Peters' "Independence Day" - which can be considered a modern archetype for this category of songs. I don't think Kacey's implying that's a bad song (or even that the category is bad) - only that she's "over it" and wants to try new things. Interestingly, Gretchen herself wanted to give that song a rest, and has had a self-imposed embargo on singing it for the past couple of years. (Recently, she told me on Twitter that that's coming to an end, and she's starting to sing it again.)

    Kacey's aiming high if she's using John Prine's style as a goal in her own writing. These are a couple of examples of John's story-telling-with-a-message style:
    John Prine * Unwed Fathers Lyrics | Album: Great Days: The John Prine Anthology
    John Prine * Sam Stone Lyrics | Album: Great Days: The John Prine Anthology

  • #6
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    I don't think the comment was a 'shade' at Miranda at all. Kacey and Miranda have written a ton of songs together for Miranda's albums; from what I understand, they're close friends.

    Maybe I'm misjudging Kacey here, but I'm not really a fan of the way she talks about other artists and complains about the industry thus far. It comes off as if she's trying too hard to be 'different' instead of focusing on her own ambitions.
    Cps235 likes this.

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,768
    I think it's more of a shade to Country radio and the Country community as a whole. She knows perfectly well without Carrie & Miranda her single wouldn't even be Top 40.

  • #8
    Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    3,416
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I don't think the comment was a 'shade' at Miranda at all. Kacey and Miranda have written a ton of songs together for Miranda's albums; from what I understand, they're close friends.

    Maybe I'm misjudging Kacey here, but I'm not really a fan of the way she talks about other artists and complains about the industry thus far. It comes off as if she's trying too hard to be 'different' instead of focusing on her own ambitions.

    I've only seen her talk positive of other artists. Especially the legends, but Kenny(obviously him giving her her big break with the tour helps), Miranda, George Strait. She appreciates country music and the people who have helped make it what it is. I've never personally seen her bad mouth any artist, at least not by name.

    It's extremely obvious she's not a big fan of the record labels and country radio though. Not that I blame her cause I'm getting tired of them as well. Will be interesting to see if she can make it big knowing that it's those very things she has a problem with that decide whether she gets airplay....but I personally love her attitude. Someone needs to say the things she's saying, although I'm not sure if she's a big enough name to actually get people to listen.

  • #9
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,768
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    Kenny(obviously him giving her her big break with the tour helps)
    Well Brad Paisley gave Taylor Swift her big break with the tour...But the Lord is still mad about the CMA joke.

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    I've only seen her talk positive of other artists. Especially the legends, but Kenny(obviously him giving her her big break with the tour helps), Miranda, George Strait. She appreciates country music and the people who have helped make it what it is. I've never personally seen her bad mouth any artist, at least not by name.

    It's extremely obvious she's not a big fan of the record labels and country radio though. Not that I blame her cause I'm getting tired of them as well. Will be interesting to see if she can make it big knowing that it's those very things she has a problem with that decide whether she gets airplay....but I personally love her attitude. Someone needs to say the things she's saying, although I'm not sure if she's a big enough name to actually get people to listen.
    She shaded Rascal Flatts awhile back; she said something along the lines of the fact that she would never want them to go near one of her own songs. Yeah, I know they're polished and mainstream and I stan for them and all...but the way she said it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. You should be flattered that ANYONE wants to cut one of your songs, and it almost suggests she has a superiority complex because she's 'against' the mainstream.

    I respect that she doesn't like the way the industry works, and that's she's fed up with it; the politics do get incredibly tiresome. But, the way she speaks just rubs me the wrong way a bit, like she thinks she's 'too good' to be accepted by the industry. "I'm not mainstream, I'm a badass."

    No.

    I'm just not a fan of that attitude in general, because it always comes off to me like someone is trying too hard to be different. Just be yourself and stop saying how 'different' you are. Let the music do the talking.

  • #11
    Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    3,416
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    She shaded Rascal Flatts awhile back; she said something along the lines of the fact that she would never want them to go near one of her own songs. Yeah, I know they're polished and mainstream and I stan for them and all...but the way she said it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. You should be flattered that ANYONE wants to cut one of your songs, and it almost suggests she has a superiority complex because she's 'against' the mainstream.

    I respect that she doesn't like the way the industry works, and that's she's fed up with it; the politics do get incredibly tiresome. But, the way she speaks just rubs me the wrong way a bit, like she thinks she's 'too good' to be accepted by the industry. "I'm not mainstream, I'm a badass."

    No.

    I'm just not a fan of that attitude in general, because it always comes off to me like someone is trying too hard to be different. Just be yourself and stop saying how 'different' you are. Let the music do the talking.

    She's anti RF? I HAVE TO MARRY THIS WOMAN!


    But no, I never saw that and I'm not sure how far back it was. I do hope she tones it down a bit overall simply because it's gonna be hard to have a career if you're constantly *****ing about the way things are. But I also hope she doesn't change her music just to fit into what mainstream country wants. It's obvious already she's trying for a different sound, I hope she keeps it up.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

  • #12
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,768
    While it's right to say that one should be thankful if anyone cuts your song (especially by an established act like Rascal Flatts), it's entirely reasonable for someone to not like the style of a certain act, and thus does not want them to get close to her written work. The songs are hers so she has every right to choose not to sell it to any particular act. As long as it's not discrimination it's perfectly fine.

    That's just like some acts not granting the right for the Glee Cast to cover their tunes even though that's a great exposure and would increase their sales.

  • #13
    Huge Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    545
    Concert Stars
    My take is that I'm tired of Artists that try too hard to use their platform to get across moral and political points. I think she is going to dig a hole for herself if she gets off on this kind of tanget and I don't care how good her songwriting is, if you start alienating folks and shoving your point of view in their face with your songs, it will backfire. I could see her becoming similiar to Jamey Johnson in that a ton of folks will love her music but radio will tire of her trying to be too "different".

  • #14
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    She shaded Rascal Flatts awhile back; she said something along the lines of the fact that she would never want them to go near one of her own songs. Yeah, I know they're polished and mainstream and I stan for them and all...but the way she said it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. You should be flattered that ANYONE wants to cut one of your songs, and it almost suggests she has a superiority complex because she's 'against' the mainstream.

    I respect that she doesn't like the way the industry works, and that's she's fed up with it; the politics do get incredibly tiresome. But, the way she speaks just rubs me the wrong way a bit, like she thinks she's 'too good' to be accepted by the industry. "I'm not mainstream, I'm a badass."

    No.


    I'm just not a fan of that attitude in general, because it always comes off to me like someone is trying too hard to be different. Just be yourself and stop saying how 'different' you are. Let the music do the talking.
    To be honest, Miranda also comes off the same way, to me, from the way she always used to talk about how much more country she is-like she's the "real" country. Funnily enough, her husband Blake is hardly her brand of country that she views as superior to mainstream/contemporary country music. Maybe her views have changed a bit though since I remember she mentioned (before the release of FTR) wanting to be mainstream like Taylor and Carrie.

    To digress a bit on the superiority complex-another thing that bothers me concerning the superiority attitude is when Miranda (or other women) talks about how "real" they are because they're not fit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for embracing ALL body types and shapes- which is WHY it bothers me when people somehow like to paint the non-fit/model type people as the "real" bodies and the fit/model-like-bodies as somehow "fake". First of all, some people are born skinny and tall. So how can you equate body type to how real a person is? Kind of shallow, isn't it? And besides the point, too, don't you know?

    See, it's great when you love your body- no matter how it looks- and I respect that, but I also have a whole lot of respect for people who have the self-discipline to care for their bodies. I don't understand why people can't just appreciate each other.

    Ha- that was quite a mouthful. Just had to get that out there while we were on that subject.

  • #15
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    She's anti RF? I HAVE TO MARRY THIS WOMAN!


    But no, I never saw that and I'm not sure how far back it was. I do hope she tones it down a bit overall simply because it's gonna be hard to have a career if you're constantly *****ing about the way things are. But I also hope she doesn't change her music just to fit into what mainstream country wants. It's obvious already she's trying for a different sound, I hope she keeps it up.


    Seriously though, I understand where she's coming from, really. Rascal Flatts are incredibly mainstream, and I'm sure they've done much more compromising than she would ever dream of doing. However, I just don't agree with the way she said it. Yes, she has the right to say what she wants and all, but it was just in poor taste to me. Just because someone makes music you don't like doesn't mean you have to badmouth 'em, ya know? Just because someone chooses to make mainstream music doesn't mean they've completely sold out, either. It just came off as very pretentious to me, that's all. Plus, Rascal Flatts seem to have taken more s**t than most country artists (even Taylor), and I guess it also irritates me that they're the scapegoats, too.

    I feel like a lot of people write off a lot of current country artists nowadays without actually listening to the music, and that's essentially what bothers me the most.

    Like I said, I respect that she isn't interested in selling out, and that she's brave enough to speak out on the politics. If anything, most artists (especially established ones), are too afraid to do that. I just think her attitude comes off as a bit 'holier than thou,' right now, and if she continues down this path, it'll just come off as b***chy. I mean, she agreed to tour with Kenny and is obviously aiming for mainstream success, so...I guess only time will tell.

    Chrissy basically echoed a lot of my thoughts, too. It's great if you want to be different and standout from the pack a little bit; mainstream country could use that right now. But if you constantly have to talk about how 'real' and 'badass' and 'anti mainstream' you are, that adds a whole different spin on it. Fine if you're anti-mainstream, but why don't you let the music do the talking? Constantly stressing how 'different' you are just seems to suggest a superiority complex to me, and I hate that. Maybe Kacey will prove me wrong, though, who knows?

    And Miranda...I love her, but I agree she did used to come on a bit strong in the early days of her careers. Funny how so many artists brag about how 'anti-mainstream' they are, and then sell out once they have a hit. Money does strange things to people.

    It's funny you mentioned the change in image/clothing, because I think that plays a role, too. Miranda used to wear cowboy boots, jeans and tshirts, and I believe she made some comment about how "she wouldn't change that for anyone" or something. Now, she's much more glam, and she wears tight dresses and lots of makeup. Obviously success has changed how she perceives herself, or she (or her team) believes she needs to appear more glam/sophisticated now that she's become more of a well-known artist.

    That said, though, I don't think Miranda has completely lost her edge, and she still manages to be a breath of fresh air once in awhile. Most of her material is much better than what most of her peers are releasing these days (particularly the men).

  • #16
    Huge Carrie Follower
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    545
    Concert Stars
    Why do so many people consider mainstream music and the Artists that choose to make that type of music sellouts? I mean if you are making music that is popular and tons of people like it and it happens to be mainstream it just means that people like it. It doesn't mean the Artist is a sellout.

  • #17
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Seriously though, I understand where she's coming from, really. Rascal Flatts are incredibly mainstream, and I'm sure they've done much more compromising than she would ever dream of doing. However, I just don't agree with the way she said it. Yes, she has the right to say what she wants and all, but it was just in poor taste to me. Just because someone makes music you don't like doesn't mean you have to badmouth 'em, ya know? Just because someone chooses to make mainstream music doesn't mean they've completely sold out, either. It just came off as very pretentious to me, that's all. Plus, Rascal Flatts seem to have taken more s**t than most country artists (even Taylor), and I guess it also irritates me that they're the scapegoats, too.

    I feel like a lot of people write off a lot of current country artists nowadays without actually listening to the music, and that's essentially what bothers me the most.

    Like I said, I respect that she isn't interested in selling out, and that she's brave enough to speak out on the politics. If anything, most artists (especially established ones), are too afraid to do that. I just think her attitude comes off as a bit 'holier than thou,' right now, and if she continues down this path, it'll just come off as b***chy. I mean, she agreed to tour with Kenny and is obviously aiming for mainstream success, so...I guess only time will tell.

    Chrissy basically echoed a lot of my thoughts, too. It's great if you want to be different and standout from the pack a little bit; mainstream country could use that right now. But if you constantly have to talk about how 'real' and 'badass' and 'anti mainstream' you are, that adds a whole different spin on it. Fine if you're anti-mainstream, but why don't you let the music do the talking? Constantly stressing how 'different' you are just seems to suggest a superiority complex to me, and I hate that. Maybe Kacey will prove me wrong, though, who knows?

    And Miranda...I love her, but I agree she did used to come on a bit strong in the early days of her careers. Funny how so many artists brag about how 'anti-mainstream' they are, and then sell out once they have a hit. Money does strange things to people.

    It's funny you mentioned the change in image/clothing, because I think that plays a role, too. Miranda used to wear cowboy boots, jeans and tshirts, and I believe she made some comment about how "she wouldn't change that for anyone" or something. Now, she's much more glam, and she wears tight dresses and lots of makeup. Obviously success has changed how she perceives herself, or she (or her team) believes she needs to appear more glam/sophisticated now that she's become more of a well-known artist.

    That said, though, I don't think Miranda has completely lost her edge, and she still manages to be a breath of fresh air once in awhile. Most of her material is much better than what most of her peers are releasing these days (particularly the men).
    If she really had something against mainstream artists, what kind of music, or how popular do you think she knows Kenny is? He only sells out 50k stadiums, after all. Wasn't she also originally going to tour with John Mayer? Uhh.

    I'm not sure I understand what mainstream has to do with good music. You can be mainstream and be bubblegum pop or you can be mainstream and be Adele. How is mainstream a measuring stick for the quality or style of music?
    I almost feel like she's saying that so if she doesn't become as huge as artists like Rascal Flatts or Carrie, then she could use the "I'm not mainstream aka I'm a true artist" card. I'm sorry but this just comes off as insecurity in their music. If she doesn't care if her style of music goes mainstream or not, she just won't... care, ya know?
    Again, I could be reading into to it but her comments just rubs me the wrong way.

    You know, after all these years, Carrie is still the one that keeps impressing me all the more as time passes. She is the walking example of a star. She just has this way of commanding her presence in music just by that- her music!

    When have you ever heard her say a bad thing about anyone else and their music? The most I hear from her is just how SHE wants her music to be and how- never on what others should or shouldn't be doing. If anything, Carrie is quite generous with complimenting others. Even when others don't acknowledge her (e.g. award shows) or disses her in some way (Wynonna, Faith Hill, peer snubbers, and etc.), Carrie just steps out smiling and lets the honey roll as her musical success with countless #1s do the trash talking. Shows you how confident Carrie is.

    It's funny that while others just talk and talk and talk about how good they are BY putting down other artists, Carrie just opens her mouth and it's over. For all the things some artists have to do to convince others they are better, Carrie walks out and SLAYS.


    Point of this post? Carrie is scary. Beware the smile.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

  • #18
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    To digress a bit on the superiority complex-another thing that bothers me concerning the superiority attitude is when Miranda (or other women) talks about how "real" they are because they're not fit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for embracing ALL body types and shapes- which is WHY it bothers me when people somehow like to paint the non-fit/model type people as the "real" bodies and the fit/model-like-bodies as somehow "fake". First of all, some people are born skinny and tall. So how can you equate body type to how real a person is? Kind of shallow, isn't it? And besides the point, too, don't you know?

    See, it's great when you love your body- no matter how it looks- and I respect that, but I also have a whole lot of respect for people who have the self-discipline to care for their bodies. I don't understand why people can't just appreciate each other.
    I couldn't agree more with this. It bugs me everytime I read that too. And it bugs me even more when I hear that from a celeb... and then one year later, she has lost a ton of weight, and looks just like every other "fake" model-like figures out there.

  • #19
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    If she really had something against mainstream artists, what kind of music, or how popular do you think she knows Kenny is? He only sells out 50k stadiums, after all. Wasn't she also originally going to tour with John Mayer? Uhh.

    I'm not sure I understand what mainstream has to do with good music. You can be mainstream and be bubblegum pop or you can be mainstream and be Adele. How is mainstream a measuring stick for the quality or style of music?
    I almost feel like she's saying that so if she doesn't become as huge as artists like Rascal Flatts or Carrie, then she could use the "I'm not mainstream aka I'm a true artist" card. I'm sorry but this just comes off as insecurity in their music. If she doesn't care if her style of music goes mainstream or not, she just won't... care, ya know?
    Again, I could be reading into to it but her comments just rubs me the wrong way.


    You know, after all these years, Carrie is still the one that keeps impressing me all the more as time passes. She is the walking example of a star. She just has this way of commanding her presence in music just by that- her music!

    When have you ever heard her say a bad thing about anyone else and their music? The most I hear from her is just how SHE wants her music to be and how- never on what others should or shouldn't be doing. If anything, Carrie is quite generous with complimenting others. Even when others don't acknowledge her (e.g. award shows) or disses her in some way (Wynonna, Faith Hill, peer snubbers, and etc.), Carrie just steps out smiling and lets the honey roll as her musical success with countless #1s do the trash talking. Shows you how confident Carrie is.

    It's funny that while others just talk and talk and talk about how good they are BY putting down other artists, Carrie just opens her mouth and it's over. For all the things some artists have to do to convince others they are better, Carrie walks out and SLAYS.


    Point of this post? Carrie is scary. Beware the smile.
    Exactly! If she wants to be different, let the music do the talking. There's no really no need to put down anyone or act like you're above what other artists are doing, just because your music may be a little less polished and radio-friendly. And I agree there is nothing wrong with being mainstream, but so much of the material does get weaker as that happens, too. There are dozens of examples of artists who have spoken out after having to change something, or record a certain type of album, because they were forced to by the label. Yes, the quality of the industry has diminished, but she's acting like ALL mainstream music is trash, which it isn't.



    I see Kacey's general point, but it just came off to me like she thinks she's better than everyone aiming for mainstream success.


    And Kacey is obviously aiming for some sort of mainstream success, because she's touring with Kenny and released "Merry Go Round" to country radio. The whole argument of "I'm not mainstream, so I'm better than you" just rubs me the wrong way. I wonder if Kacey will be saying these things if her second single is successful? Doubt it.

  • #20
    Ty
    Ty is offline
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,315
    She didn't lie, though. Don't get me wrong, I love a good boy-basher every now and then but they have definitely become over abundant at country radio.


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 306
      Last Post: 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM
    2. Kacey Musgraves agrees with Carrie
      By Farawayhills in forum Carrie Underwood Sightings
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
    3. Day Two: Miranda and Carrie’s Showstopping Duet
      By Claire2004 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
    4. Billboard Tweet From Miranda Lambert About Carrie :)
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Sightings
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
    5. Carrie and Miranda Duet Video
      By Goodlooken82008 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •