Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By abbeyjones18
  • 1 Post By allamericangirl8
  • 2 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 2 Post By carebear4eva

Thread: Songs/topics that hit your 'sweet spot'?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Songs/topics that hit your 'sweet spot'?

I saw this topic over at Country Universe, and I thought it was interesting.

What are some songs/topics that hit your 'sweet spot' when you listen to them?

Mine always tend to be songs dealing with faith, home, family,loss or a good revenge song.

A few of mine:

-Temporary Home
    -Two Black Cadillacs
    -Jesus, Take The Wheel
    -So Small
    -Good In Goodbye
    -Before He Cheats
    -Don't Forget To Remember Me
    -The House That Built Me
    -Over You
    -Long Black Train
    -You And Tequila
    -There Goes My Life
    -Bring It On Home
    -The Voice Within
    -Fighter
    -If I Die Young

You can post any song/topic you want.
    Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 03-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Faith, home, family, love, loss (of any kind), friendship...too many songs to name!

GREAT thread idea!
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I appear to be more morbid. The first topic that popped to mind was war and concentration camps (Paschendale, Red Sector A, The Longest Day, Civil War, For the Greater Good of God, These Colours Don't Run, Gods of War, No Way Out). The next was suicide (Hurt, Beyond the Realms of Death, The Downward Spiral). And then depression (all of In Absentia, Somewhat Damaged, The Great Below, Breakdown, The Day The World Went Away, Top of the World, Right Where It Belongs). And murder (Murders in the Rue Morgue, once again all of In Absentia, Two Black Cadillacs, Big Man With a Gun, Killers, Atlantic City, Lost in the Flood, Jungleland). And mourning the loss of a loved one and/or young death (Just a Dream, Xanadu, Empty Sky, Breaking the Silence, Eyes of a Stranger, The River, If I Die Young, Small Bump, Travelin' Soldier, Stargazer, Acoustic Song). Oh, and I also love songs that question faith (Hallelujah, All the Love in the World, Starblind).

For lighter material, I love songs about recovering from alcoholism (Wasted, Back From the Edge) and songs that act as gentle invitations (Thunder Road, Gunshot Glitter).

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I appear to be more morbid. The first topic that popped to mind was war and concentration camps (Paschendale, Red Sector A, The Longest Day, Civil War, For the Greater Good of God, These Colours Don't Run, Gods of War, No Way Out). The next was suicide (Hurt, Beyond the Realms of Death, The Downward Spiral). And then depression (all of In Absentia, Somewhat Damaged, The Great Below, Breakdown, The Day The World Went Away, Top of the World, Right Where It Belongs). And murder (Murders in the Rue Morgue, once again all of In Absentia, Two Black Cadillacs, Big Man With a Gun, Killers, Atlantic City, Lost in the Flood, Jungleland). And mourning the loss of a loved one and/or young death (Just a Dream, Xanadu, Empty Sky, The River, If I Die Young, Small Bump, Travelin' Soldier, Stargazer, Acoustic Song). Oh, and I also love songs that question faith (Hallelujah, All the Love in the World, Starblind).

For lighter material, I love songs about recovering from alcoholism (Wasted, Back From the Edge) and songs that act as gentle invitations (Thunder Road, Gunshot Glitter).
    Damn, you're depressing.

Nah, I tend to gravitate towards ballads much more than uptempos, and many of them are pretty depressing.
    allamericangirl8 and HuiZ like this.

Concert Stars
    I kinda think most people gravitate to sadder songs. It's just the subject of the song that's different (you seem to gravitate toward songs you relate to more, I tend to gravitate towards songs I cannot even imagine relating to).

I just found out yesterday what "Copacabana" was about (I know I'm super late on the uptake, but I was super young and didn't pay attention to the song), and it devastated me so much that I downloaded it.

Concert Stars
    I kinda think most people gravitate to sadder songs. It's just the subject of the song that's different (you seem to gravitate toward songs you relate to more, I tend to gravitate towards songs I cannot even imagine relating to).

I just found out yesterday what "Copacabana" was about (I know I'm super late on the uptake, but I was super young and didn't pay attention to the song), and it devastated me so much that I downloaded it.
    Yes, I tend to gravitate towards songs I relate to, even though I don't really know why. Some people use music as an escape, but I tend to use it as my comfort. Maybe it's because of the fact that I love to write, but I often feel like WE don't know what to say in certain situations, and I love when a lyric/song fills in the gap.

I have a love/hate relationship with my love of lyrics, though, because sometimes I'm like SJDFJF9FFIF I relate to this so much, it hurts, turn it off.

It's interesting to me, though, that some people don't pay attention to lyrics at all; my Mom is like you in the sense that she gravitates towards sound more than lyrics. I cannot even fathom that.
    HuiZ likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'm actually a writer, too (and in school I actually "gained notoriety" for my writing). But I've never been a diary/journal keeper. If I wrote my feelings, I'd write them in metaphors. See, people always wanted to read what I was writing, so I think in a way, I was always subconsciously "coding" my writing. I still do it this way. Incidentally, I gravitate toward metaphorical lyrics rather than, for instance, the lyrics in "Heart Like Mine" by Miranda Lambert, and I prefer lyrics I have to "decode" to figure out.

I really wish I knew if we were both just born with different tastes or if they were crafted by the environments we grew up in. I'll have to think about it more and pester you. In case you haven't noticed, I'm absolutely fascinated by all this lol. I'm not really sure why.

Concert Stars
    I'm actually a writer, too (and in school I actually "gained notoriety" for my writing). But I've never been a diary/journal keeper. If I wrote my feelings, I'd write them in metaphors. See, people always wanted to read what I was writing, so I think in a way, I was always subconsciously "coding" my writing. I still do it this way. Incidentally, I gravitate toward metaphorical lyrics rather than, for instance, the lyrics in "Heart Like Mine" by Miranda Lambert, and I prefer lyrics I have to "decode" to figure out.

I really wish I knew if we were both just born with different tastes or if they were crafted by the environments we grew up in. I'll have to think about it more and pester you. In case you haven't noticed, I'm absolutely fascinated by all this lol. I'm not really sure why.
    I don't dislike metaphorical lyrics, I just don't gravitate towards 'em. I don't keep a journal/diary; I don't think I could. My life is too boring to dictate.
    But seriously, usually if I need to work through something, I find a song to do the talking. I mean, sometimes I need to hear exactly what I'm feeling to put it into prospective.

Well, I tend to be an emotional person, and I gravitate towards people who are really sincere/passionate. That could be part of the reason why I gravitate towards country more than anything (I'm just speculating, though). Plus, I started listening to it when I was about 10-12, and nothing about music had really grabbed (and held) my attention up until that point. I've always loved music, but country gave me the passion I have for music in general now.

It's funny, because as much as I love other genres, as soon as I listen to a country song that I love it just feels right to me (weird, but I told you I'm overly emotional).

Actually, it's really interesting to me, too.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I don't dislike metaphorical lyrics, I just don't gravitate towards 'em. I don't keep a journal/diary; I don't think I could. My life is too boring to dictate.
    For me, it was partially a paranoia that someone would read what I wrote. . . or even that I would reread what I wrote at a later point in my life and laugh at myself. If I put it in story-form, at least I got something productive out of it, and I could detach myself from it down the line if the "code" was embarrassing lol.

But seriously, usually if I need to work through something, I find a song to do the talking. I mean, sometimes I need to hear exactly what I'm feeling to put it into prospective.
    Ah, this is a very key difference between us, then. I very seldom ever find a song that can do the talking, so I end up having to figure it out for myself (apparently, nobody writes songs about how I feel x) ).

I gravitate towards people who are really sincere/passionate.
    Same here. Actually, a quirk I've always noticed about myself is that despite loving metal and rock (which are incredibly sincere and passionate genres, but in different ways), my favorite songs were always random singer/songwriter songs. Like, when I was obsessed with Judas Priest, one of my favorite songs was "Breathe" by Anna Nalick. And lately, my tastes are kinda skewed toward those types of artists [Bruce Dickinson (whose solo career was entirely singer/songwriter stuff at the beginning before returning to metal), Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen].

I'd like to say, though, that metal is the definition of sincere and passionate for me. Pure, unadulterated emotion with allegorical lyrics. When you listen to Pantera, you KNOW these people are angry lol. Likewise, every Nine Inch Nails album (I consider them industrial metal) is depressing as hell.

It's funny, because as much as I love other genres, as soon as I listen to a country song that I love it just feels right to me (weird, but I told you I'm overly emotional).
    This is me with metal lol. Which is why it's hard for me to comprehend when someone doesn't like a metal song despite all the logic in front of me.

Actually, it's really interesting to me, too.
    Oh, good. Then you won't mind my constant nagging about this. x)

My new hypothesis is that you gravitate toward concrete lyrics because you need your emotions spelled out for you (especially when you're unsure what you're feeling).

Concert Stars
    For me, it was partially a paranoia that someone would read what I wrote. . . or even that I would reread what I wrote at a later point in my life and laugh at myself. If I put it in story-form, at least I got something productive out of it, and I could detach myself from it down the line if the "code" was embarrassing lol.

Ah, this is a very key difference between us, then. I very seldom ever find a song that can do the talking, so I end up having to figure it out for myself (apparently, nobody writes songs about how I feel x) ).

Same here. Actually, a quirk I've always noticed about myself is that despite loving metal and rock (which are incredibly sincere and passionate genres, but in different ways), my favorite songs were always random singer/songwriter songs. Like, when I was obsessed with Judas Priest, one of my favorite songs was "Breathe" by Anna Nalick. And lately, my tastes are kinda skewed toward those types of artists [Bruce Dickinson (whose solo career was entirely singer/songwriter stuff at the beginning before returning to metal), Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen].

I'd like to say, though, that metal is the definition of sincere and passionate for me. Pure, unadulterated emotion with allegorical lyrics. When you listen to Pantera, you KNOW these people are angry lol. Likewise, every Nine Inch Nails album (I consider them industrial metal) is depressing as hell.

This is me with metal lol. Which is why it's hard for me to comprehend when someone doesn't like a metal song despite all the logic in front of me.

Oh, good. Then you won't mind my constant nagging about this. x)

My new hypothesis is that you gravitate toward concrete lyrics because you need your emotions spelled out for you (especially when you're unsure what you're feeling).
    So, you feel the same way about metal as I do about country. People who tell me they hate country for no freaking reason just bug me. Like, I can't wrap my mind around people who profess to hate the ENTIRE genre, because I love it so much. And, again, I think this goes back to the fact that I'm a total lyric freak, and a lot of people are not.

I don't think it's so much that I need my emotions "spelled out" it's like a form of therapy for me to know that I feel the same way, ya know? Relating so strongly to something has always been something I gravitate towards.

Concert Stars
    So, you feel the same way about metal as I do about country. People who tell me they hate country for no freaking reason just bug me. Like, I can't wrap my mind around people who profess to hate the ENTIRE genre, because I love it so much. And, again, I think this goes back to the fact that I'm a total lyric freak, and a lot of people are not.

I don't think it's so much that I need my emotions "spelled out" it's like a form of therapy for me to know that I feel the same way, ya know? Relating so strongly to something has always been something I gravitate towards.
    Gorl, I hear ya about country. My junior year of high school, I asked my band director if he liked Carrie Underwood, and he was like, "Eh, she's okaaaay. At least she doesn't whine about her dead dog and the barbecue stain on her shirt." I bit my tongue off.

Oh, sorry, that's what I got from "having the lyrics talked to [you]." Whoops. I suppose I can see it. I found "Right Where It Belongs" by Nine Inch Nails comforting because there was someone else out there with a warped perception of reality. I tend to relate more to artists themselves than to the songs they create, though.

I'm definitely siding on the side of "Can't possibly relate to"...Fancy (about being sold into prostitution by a dying mother) by Bobbie Gentry is one of the songs that probably hit me the hardest....Many of Reba's songs seem to do that for me for some reason - Ring on Her Finger, Time on Her Hands (a sad, lonely housewife who commits adultery), and even She Thinks His Name Was John (a virgin gets drunk, sleeps with a stranger and dies of AIDS).

Then of course, my beloved Chicks hit me like no one else - Silent House (about a relative losing their memory), Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover about growing old and feeling like a failure), So Hard (about the struggle of a woman to conceive), Travelling Soldier (two lonely souls find each other and the guy dies in 'Nam) and above all, Top Of The World (a torturous song about intense regret and lines that hint at a poor with - and as - a father)

TBH, none of Carrie's songs really "get" to me, with 2 exceptions - Lessons Learned hit me once when I'd been through a sh!tstorm. And JAD regularly punches me in the gut. I can be casually walking down the street and that song brings up so much in me, even though I've never lost anyone I was super-close to. It brings up the fact that I'm 10,000 miles away from my parents.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I'm definitely siding on the side of "Can't possibly relate to"...Fancy (about being sold into prostitution by a dying mother) by Bobbie Gentry is one of the songs that probably hit me the hardest....Many of Reba's songs seem to do that for me for some reason - Ring on Her Finger, Time on Her Hands (a sad, lonely housewife who commits adultery), and even She Thinks His Name Was John (a virgin gets drunk, sleeps with a stranger and dies of AIDS).

Then of course, my beloved Chicks hit me like no one else - Silent House (about a relative losing their memory), Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover about growing old and feeling like a failure), So Hard (about the struggle of a woman to conceive), Travelling Soldier (two lonely souls find each other and the guy dies in 'Nam) and above all, Top Of The World (a torturous song about intense regret and lines that hint at a poor with - and as - a father)

TBH, none of Carrie's songs really "get" to me, with 2 exceptions - Lessons Learned hit me once when I'd been through a sh!tstorm. And JAD regularly punches me in the gut. I can be casually walking down the street and that song brings up so much in me, even though I've never lost anyone I was super-close to. It brings up the fact that I'm 10,000 miles away from my parents.
    SO agree about the Chicks and Reba. I don't stan for either of them, but those songs really punch me in the gut. Especially Top of the World and Fancy. Special thanks to Karly for showing me Top of the World. TOTW is a perhaps the best example of a song that was designed for my interest. That... hopelessness.

Lyrically, Carrie's songs don't really get to me at all, but sonically, listening to her first two albums in full do, and I'm not sure why. Wasted makes sense since it's completely in line with songs that stab me in the gut (a la Cemetery Gates), but there's really no reason for me to adore AAG, for instance, as much as I do except that it makes me happy.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    A Lot Of Carrie's & Rascal Flatts's Songs

Concert Stars
    Gorl, I hear ya about country. My junior year of high school, I asked my band director if he liked Carrie Underwood, and he was like, "Eh, she's okaaaay. At least she doesn't whine about her dead dog and the barbecue stain on her shirt." I bit my tongue off.

Oh, sorry, that's what I got from "having the lyrics talked to [you]." Whoops. I suppose I can see it. I found "Right Where It Belongs" by Nine Inch Nails comforting because there was someone else out there with a warped perception of reality. I tend to relate more to artists themselves than to the songs they create, though.

A few of my friends like country, but most of 'em like to complain about it. My best friend LOVES pop music, but she likes Carrie. I asked her why one time, just because she dislikes country. She said, "She's not really country, she's more pop." I was like, huh? And, this was years before the release of CC, GG, etc. I'm assuming she was referring to the sound of the songs themselves, but I was still sorta baffled. She's one of those people who thinks country is about dead dogs and barbeque stains (the kicker: she likes JTTW ).

I've found that a lot of people don't like country because a lot of singers have that nasally tone; I know a lot of people cannot stand it. But I just don't understand passing off an entire genre because you dislike ONE element of it. If anything, I think all the hatred I've seen towards country has made me more tolerant of other genres. Then again, I've always been one of those people who has to have a concrete reason to hate something: I can't say I hate it and not give any reasoning.

To me, country is all about lyrics, but of course you can tell if something sounds really country. I actually don't love that sound, and I still put lyrics above anything else, ironically.

On the topic of Carrie, the songs that get to me the most are probably JTTW, TH, DFTRM and GIG.

My Mom used to hate country music, but now it's her favorite genre. It used to be that she'd hear a song and say "what's that about?" and I'd be like, "weren't you listening?" Like, I can't wrap my brain around someone completely ignoring lyrics.

Actually, I was listening to "Civil War" today, and I realized that the primary reason why I'm drawn to it is because of lyrics. I look at sound differently now, and of course there are monster songs with both elements (most of GNR's material fits this description, ironically), but I wouldn't be into them if I couldn't understand the lyrics, and they just had a great sound, ya know?

I relate to the artists, themselves, too. I stan for Carrie, RF and GN'R, and I respect them all as people. GN'R, in particular is different for me, because we know the kind of reputation Axl has. . But really, I just feel like GN'R's material IS an extension of his life, and I respect the material more because of that. I think I'm just drawn to certain people in general, and once I go beyond the surface a little bit it's easier to understand how it ALL fits together. Like, Carrie and RF's material is very personal to their own lives, and Axl's is very personal, but his about his demons, ya know? Obviously, most of us would relate to the former more than the latter, but showing the uglier part of yourself is probably more difficult than that. I respect both in different ways, but they're presented very differently, too.

And on the topic of DC:

Their material is flawless. I guess I love relating to songs, but if a song is a lyrical masterpiece, I don't care about that. A great song is a great song, no matter what. Which reminds me: "Wide Open Spaces" describes my life. It's funny, because that was one of my favorite songs when I was young, but of course, I never realized it was actually autobiographical until I read the lyrics.

And another one to add to my list:

•