Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Jordin Sparks Covers "Bless The Broken Road"

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Jordin Sparks Covers "Bless The Broken Road"

I know this is totally random, but I was listened to Carrie's version of "Bless The Broken Road" from 2006, and I ran across Jordin's version. I thought it was going to be on of those fake mashups, but she sang it for a radio station in 2011.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for that, Karly. I'm not familiar with this singer, but I give her credit for handling the song a capella. It's always a great song, whoever sings it.

On the 1994 NGDB album, Bob Carpenter sang lead, with a keyboard dominating the accompaniment, and, to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the song at that point - but Jeff's own version won me over and it became a favourite.

Jeff wrote it with Marcus Hummon (of "Cowboy, Take Me Away" fame) and Bobby Boyd - it became something of a Country performance classic, though it took them eleven years to win the Grammy, when Rascall Flatts covered it and made it a big Mainstream hit.

Tara, one of the writers at Country Universe said not long ago that she has around a dozen versions of the song, but Carrie's is the one that she likes best. I agree, Carrie sounds so fresh, and that shout of triumph she puts into that line about giving the lost years back to you showed that even at an early stage of her career, she could find new layers of meaning in a song. It's one of my favourite Carrie videos.
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 03-03-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

•