Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Youtube streaming added to Billboard charts

Youtube streaming added to Billboard charts

So, Billboard added Youtube streaming to their calculations for the Hot 100 as well as the genre-specific charts, like Hot Country songs:

Billboard and Nielsen announced today the addition of U.S. YouTube video streaming data to its platforms, which includes an update to the methodology for the Billboard Hot 100, the preeminent singles chart.

The YouTube streaming data is now factored into the chart's ranking, enhancing a formula that includes Nielsen's digital download track sales and physical singles sales; as well as terrestrial radio airplay, on-demand audio streaming, and online radio streaming, also tracked by Nielsen.

Billboard is now incorporating all official videos on YouTube captured by Nielsen's streaming measurement, including Vevo on YouTube, and user-generated clips that utilize authorized audio into the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 formula-based genre charts – Hot Country Songs, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, R&B Songs, Rap Songs, Hot Latin Songs, Hot Rock Songs and Dance/Electronic Songs – to further reflect the divergent platforms for music consumption in today's world.

The most notable YouTube-influenced title this week is viral sensation "Harlem Shake" by producer Baauer, which debuts at No. 1 on both the Hot 100 and Streaming Songs charts and jumps 12-1 on Dance/Electronic Songs with 103 million views, according to YouTube. According to Nielsen, the "Harlem Shake" arrival also benefits from viral video-influenced sales of 262,000 downloads. That sales sum alone, good for a No. 3 ranking on Hot Digital Songs, would have placed the track within the top 15 on the Hot 100 without the inclusion of YouTube streams into the calculation.

Hot 100 News: Billboard and Nielsen Add YouTube Video Streaming to Platforms | Billboard

Thoughts???
    opry051008 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower desubear's Avatar
    idk what to think about it. given that tay tays fans are little prepubescent girls who have little to do but go on youtube all day, i think we'll see SWSRN higher than before

but for the country charts, carrie does really well for VEVO views (aside from tay tay). TBP seems to do well too.

I heartily approve. THIS is a sensible barometer to measure a song's popularity by ACROSS ALL GENRES.

Yes, it will definitely benefit crossover artists, but that's understandable.

I wonder how Carrie's version of HGTA would have done had the charts been changed back then.

Terrible, terrible revamping. Looks like Youtube streams have MASSIVE impact on the chart. Not here for that.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I heartily approve. THIS is a sensible barometer to measure a song's popularity by ACROSS ALL GENRES.

Yes, it will definitely benefit crossover artists, but that's understandable.
    If I understand the article, even COVERS of songs will count for the original song too. Like Adam Lambert's cover of Rihanna's "Stay" will count for Riri.

To put it into perspective, "Harlem Shakes" debuted at #1 on the Hot 100 without any airplay...

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    If I understand the article, even COVERS of songs will count for the original song too. Like Adam Lambert's cover of Rihanna's "Stay" will count for Riri.
    I don't entirely disagree with that, cause if a song is a success, you can surely expect covers to pop up. I still think only the official video should count.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    I don't entirely disagree with that, cause if a song is a success, you can surely expect covers to pop up. I still think only the official video should count.
    Every Taylor Swift song now is gonna stay on the new chart for like years...

That's why this revamping is a total mess. Billboard better get their act together.

Concert Stars
    that's why I'm not going to like this change

Apparently, even Youtube parodies count on the new chart... o.O

Billboard continues to make itself even more irrelevant.

Someone on Pulse posted saying that Youtube views count 7 to 10 times more than radio spins do... -__-

Godbecca Black's "Friday" would've been the biggest hit of America that year!
    pklongbeach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Godbecca Black's "Friday" would've been the biggest hit of America that year!
    I love that song, to be quite honest. It totally deserved to be #1.

Concert Stars
    IT would be fine if artists were still creating music that fit within the genre they were catagorized in.
    But they aren't. And now they have alot more incentive to be non specific.

I sure hope Carrie jumps on this band wagon.
    I am getting alittle tired of supporting country music along with her when no one even cares about it anymore!!!

Concert Stars
    and I secretly loved Friday to!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    and I secretly loved Friday to!!!!!
    It's so likable, isn't it? x)

Just a matter of time till they start tracking Last.fm plays. Which is not a bad idea, cause it's not like people download the song and that's it lol Radio, downloads, streaming and plays, they are all important and all should cound towards the chart... only the percentage that is debatable.

Someone on Pulse posted saying that Youtube views count 7 to 10 times more than radio spins do... -__-
    that is cray.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast