Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson lashes out at Clive Davis: 'I refuse to be bullied'

Kelly Clarkson lashes out at Clive Davis: 'I refuse to be bullied'

NASHVILLE, Tenn., February 19, 2013 - Three-time Grammy winner Kelly Clarkson is not happy about music mogul Clive Davis and his all-too revealing memoir titled, The Soundtrack of My Life. In the pages of the new book, he recounts a particularly unsettling bout of "hysterical sobbing" from the young singer years prior when putting together Clarkson's wildly successful Breakaway album (2004). News of the book broke early on Tuesday, Feb. 19, prompting Clarkson to take to her WhoSay account to address the false accusations and underlying issues.

"So, I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music," she begins. "I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don't have to cower to anyone - even Clive Davis."

As fans can recall, leading up to her My December album release in 2007, reports leaked documenting a power struggle behind-the-scenes between Clarkson and Sony label head Davis. The matter chalked up to a vast difference in creative control over the direction of the new album; Clarkson wanted more writing credits on the set, but Davis did not. Davis even labeled the American Idol alum as a "****ty writer," says Clarkson in her latest statement. She continues:

"First, he says I burst into 'hysterical sobbing' in his office when he demanded 'Since You Been Gone' be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way."

Clarkson does reveal that she "did cry in his office once," but it was under an entirely different set of circumstances. "I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called 'Because Of You.' I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a "sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me,'" she claims. "He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with."

MORE AT THE LINK --> Kelly Clarkson lashes out at Clive Davis: 'I refuse to be bullied' - National Country Music | Examiner.com

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    WOW. What an absolutely arrogant asshole.

Go for Kelly. You go girl!
    bs63093 and Cps235 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    So proud of Kelly for this. You go girl! Such a strong woman.
    bs63093 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    WOW. What an absolutely arrogant asshole.

Go for Kelly. You go girl!
    I used to have so much respect for him, but he's an arrogant jerk. I'm glad Kelly's not taking this sitting down. She's a fighter.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Round 3...FIGHT!

Clive Davis needs to know that just because a song isn't an earworm does not mean the songwriter is ****ty. My December while it had some weak spots in general the song writing was very well done and Because of You is a signature Kelly song although it is over-shadowed by SYBG, MLWSWY and Stronger.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Just another old man trying to add a million more to the money he plans to take to his grave. I'm glad Kelly said something online for the people who really care.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Good for Kelly! Clive treated her like garbage, and has no right to go around trying to tarnish her reputation after the fact. It is highly unprofessional. I'm glad she is comfortable speaking her truth.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I don't like clive all that much, but there is 2 sides to every story and i think both of them maybe telling the truth.. Can't assume just because we love Kelly that she is stating the truth and that clive is a liar..

This has been going on between them since Breakaway. The information about their relationship is no secret. Clive has done a lot of shady things and I can't stand the man.

Concert Stars
    Stories are hard to get right when so much as to do with ones interpretation of things.
    As much as I doubt Kelly was "in histerics in my office".
    I also doubt Clive would use words like "you're a sh..ty writer" to someone who was so big and popular at the time and who he clearly was working closely with.

I imagine something close to both stories happened.
    But neither "verbatim".

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    What is the deal with Clive is is usually nice but to Kelly its a different story

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Stories are hard to get right when so much as to do with ones interpretation of things.
    As much as I doubt Kelly was "in histerics in my office".
    I also doubt Clive would use words like "you're a sh..ty writer" to someone who was so big and popular at the time and who he clearly was working closely with.

I imagine something close to both stories happened.
    But neither "verbatim".
    Well he has dumb enough to sabotage her entire era of My December and Kelly was propably one, if not the, biggest pop star at that moment. Just like she says, the fact that the album went platinum even with him killing the project was a testimony of her power back then.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    If he is going to go after her in his book then she has all the right in the world to go after him.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by smilesalot2day View Post
    I don't like clive all that much, but there is 2 sides to every story and i think both of them maybe telling the truth.. Can't assume just because we love Kelly that she is stating the truth and that clive is a liar..
    Clive Davis ‏@CliveDavis Statement from @CliveDavis regarding @Kelly_Clarkson http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l3hd2u #Clive

I think the truth is likely in the middle, but I do feel bad for Kelly that she had such a hard time. Clive seems like a nice person though so it is hard to believe he would be that callous.

did Clive write about Carrie in the book?

Concert Stars

Insane Carrie Fan
    I trust that the whole situation went down exactly as Kelly remembers it. Clive is a nasty, bitter, pompous, hubristic douchebag, and I'm glad that Kelly called him out.

I don't know why I believe Kelly, but I do. Not to say Kelly may have been difficult to deal with, but I bet Clive just wants "yessir" type people, and Kelly isn't that. Good for her. If someone wrote something that challenged my character in a memoir, you believe believe I'd respond right away.

Ugh. He's such a jerk.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraebe View Post
    This has been going on between them since Breakaway. The information about their relationship is no secret. Clive has done a lot of shady things and I can't stand the man.
    This.

Concert Stars
    Is Carrie in the book? Just curious.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast