Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blake Shelton Goes Off On "Old Farts," Says They Don't Buy Records Anymore"

Insane Carrie Fan

Blake Shelton Goes Off On "Old Farts," Says They Don't Buy Records Anymore"

Article: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/bl...asses#comments

Excerpt:
    The reigning Country Music Association Entertainer of the Year and reality TV personality Blake Shelton made some disparaging remarks about traditional country fans in a recent interview with GAC as part of their Backstory series. The “Hillbilly Bone” singer and judge on NBC’s The Voice made the remarks as part of an update to the original GAC Backstory episode to include more information on Blake Shelton’s continued success. In connection with Blake’s first CMA for “Male Vocalist of the Year” award in 2010, Blake Shelton said,

If I am “Male Vocalist of the Year” that must mean that I’m one of those people now that gets to decide if it moves forward and if it moves on. Country music has to evolve in order to survive. Nobody wants to listen to their grandpa’s music. And I don’t care how many of these old farts around Nashville going, “My God, that ain’t country!” Well that’s because you don’t buy records anymore, jackass. The kids do, and they don’t want to buy the music you were buying.

The new version of Blake Shelton’s GAC Backstory aired first in mid December 2012, and will be airing numerous times in February.

Blake Shelton’s comments are not only hurtful to classic and traditional country fans, they are incorrect. According to a study of country radio conducted by Edison Research and released during last year’s Country Radio Seminar in Nashville, listeners actually want more classic country on radio, and the lack of it has been given credit for the contraction being experienced in the radio format. Edison Research President Larry Rosin last February said,

I believe that we as an industry have really made a mistake in our conception of our own stations. While many people don’t want to listen to classic country music, some still do, and we’ve let them float away…We run the risk that we just are more and more pleasing to fewer and fewer people until all we are is ecstatically pleasing a tiny, unsustainable number of people.”

Blake Shelton also specifically mention “records,” but statistics shows that older music listeners are the ones that still by music in physical formats, while younger listeners (aka “kids”) tend to download music illegally, stream it at very low margins for artists and their labels, or purchase individual songs.

Furthermore Blake Shelton brought up the common misconception that classic and traditional country fans do not want country music to evolve. Though this may be true for some traditional fans, as Saving Country Music pointed out in a piece titled Progress Vs. Traditionalism in Country Music, the progression of country music while still keeping it tied to its roots is the foundation of Americana which has benefited from tremendous growth over the last few years.

Blake Shelton has landed in hot water before for making inflammatory comments, especially on his infamous Twitter account. In May of 2011 Blake got in trouble for seemingly advocating violence against gays by re-writing the words to a Shania Twain song. The singer later apologized.
    1-24-13 (11:55 CST): After receiving numerous comments and posts of this story and others, Blake Shelton has taken down one of his Facebook fan pages. SCM is also attempting to confirm reports that numerous radio stations are pulling Blake Shelton songs from their rotation. SCM also asks that people be respectful to Blake in their comments.
    Windmill's (from Mjsbigblog) response article: http://www.mjsbigblog.com/blake-shel...ds-anymore.htm

Excerpt:

...Blake’s comments are surprising considering that his 2007 album Pure BS included a song he cowrote called “The Last Country Song,” and brought in John Anderson and George Jones for features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1Xf...layer_embedded

Further, as a member of the Grand Ole Opry (he was inducted in 2010), Blake has a special responsibility to honor country music’s roots and history. Then again, Blake has showed his appreciation to the Grand Ole Opry by not playing there a single time in 2012 (to name another current country star, Carrie Underwood, Opry member since 2008, played 8 shows at the Opry in 2012 despite an intense schedule that included a full album promo tour that took her overseas, plus 62 tour dates).

Blake’s comment about winning an industry award being a sign he gets to help decide the direction of the genre is also drawing attention. The fact that he is also now CMA’s Entertainer Of The Year (an honor most agree was due mainly to his presence on The Voice and not due to the quality or sales of his music) is likely something he sees as even more of an endorsement of his power and direction. That would help explain why the lead single from his upcoming album, “Sure Be Cool If You Did” continues in the adult contemporary pop power ballad direction of a lot of his previous album Red River Blue. But seeing as Blake’s most recent regular studio album was outsold by subsequent releases including those from Scotty McCreery, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Carrie Underwood, is he as powerful as he thinks?

Legendary artist and Country Music Hall Of Fame inductee Ray Price, who has enjoyed a 60+ year career in the country genre, took to his Facebook page this afternoon to respond to Blake’s comments:
    It’s a shame that I have spend 63 years in this business trying to introduce music to a larger audience and to make it easier for the younger artists who are coming behind me. Every now and then some young artist will record a rock and roll type song , have a hit first time out with kids only. This is why you see stars come with a few hits only and then just fade away believing they are God’s answer to the world. This guy sounds like in his own mind that his head is so large no hat ever made will fit him. Stupidity Reigns Supreme!!!!!!! Ray Price (CHIEF “OLD FART” & JACKASS”) ” P.S. YOU SHOULD BE SO LUCKY AS US OLD-TIMERS. CHECK BACK IN 63 YEARS (THE YEAR 2075) AND LET US KNOW HOW YOUR NAME AND YOUR MUSIC WILL BE REMEMBERED.
    Blake’s comments have also sparked quite a bit of backlash in online country communities, but do you see that extending beyond the fans into the industry? Do you think he has a point about country music or older music fans, or do you think Blake’s Voice experience and industry support has gone to his head?
    Thoughts?

Be a little more humble and grateful, will you, Blake?

Just why exactly is this guy an Opry member?

It's true that country music can't stay stagnant and it needs to evolve with time, but it doesn't mean completely abandoning the old! And way to generalize music buyers, Blake. The young people might be active with iTunes, but older people still buy physical albums. Less likely to download music illegally too. There still IS a market for more traditional sounding country music, plus, as an EOTY and Opry member, he's supposed to promote and honor the tradition, not diss it.

Anyway, he's entitled to his opinion about music buyers, but at the very least, have a little respect for the country legends and long time country fans. Calling them old farts is just rude. All the awards have clearly gone to his head.

Concert Stars
    I have seen a few comments - most are not very complimentary of Blake. I agree, why is this guy an Opry member? I love that Carrie has such a respect for those who came before her. I think people calling him and Miranda the new king and queen of country also has gone to his head. And this is audio, so there is no way that he can say they misquoted him.

I don't particularly like his music lately. His singles have been totally forgettable. In a year from now most people won't even remember his song on the chart.

Concert Stars
    I would like to say his comments were just silly misguided quotes from a guy that likes to spout off.
    But really, they are quite pointed and disrespectful to "old farts & Jackass's".
    I guess I am close to that age bracket I am not even sure.
    But wow, I am pianist for a retirement community church so maybe I am just alittle sensitive to such things.
    But a grown man of his stature who is the Entertainer of the Year and a Member of The Grand Ol Opry should surely have been taught better.
    The bigger issue that I see is that these Old Farts and Jackasses are the ones who voted for him.
    And much like his statements about a lot of things, I find him and his statements to be extemely narrow minded and back woods. Not my taste at all.
    From alchol induced rants to Fart Jokes about old people.
    You guys can have him.
    I am really not interested.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I really like Blake, but his comments were pretty disrespectful.

That said, it does get tiring to constantly see traditionalists putting down modern country, and I can sympathize with what Blake was probably TRYING to say. He has never come across as very polished, so I can see why his comments came off the way they did. I honestly don't get the impression he meant for his comments to come across as they did; he's just saying country music needs to evolve to survive. And, people ARE probably more likely to be turned on to country music these days by listening to Carrie, Kenny, Lady A, etc. over a legend like Ray Price. I don't mean any disrespect, but it's pretty accurate these days.

Blake's comments were no better (or worse), than what Eric Church said to Rolling Stone last year, but the general point remains the same. The way these guys presented their opinion was questionable, but I can't blame them for being fed up with the criticism and wanting to defend the music they make. Of course it isn't the same music it was 20 years ago; if you expect artists to respect those who paved the way, I think they should also respect the newer faces, too.

I can sympathize with both sides of the argument; in my mind some country legends have been just as disrespectful to the newer artists as some of them have been to them. The blame goes both ways, and it could be handled better from both sides.

Blake's music is getting more vanilla as the days go by; if he hopes to be a legend in 20 years he'll need to step up his game big time. Stop talking and start acting,

Concert Stars
    Agreed. ITs not like he is the poster child for inovative new music or anything.

I get what he was trying to say, problem is he stated it in the most tactless and disrespectful way possible.

And I find the statement, "If I am “Male Vocalist of the Year” that must mean that I’m one of those people now that gets to decide if it moves forward and if it moves on" a tad too arrogant lol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Agreed. ITs not like he is the poster child for inovative new music or anything.
    Lol - and that speaks volumes, Patrick!

His arrogance may make him a legend in his own lunch hour, but he needs to be careful that people don't end up thinking that's as far as it goes.

One of the artists I support, Chelle Rose, tweeted this evening:
    "awww ya such a purty man- but ooowee what a can of worms! #blakeshelton"

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That is just Blake being Blake.

Concert Stars
    ^^Like!!!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    That is just Blake being Blake.
    Arrogant and thinking he is the boss? I think he thinks he is bigger and better than he is tbh.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    The power couple mentality went to his head big time. I dont like his music anyway.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Sugarlandgirl4life's Avatar
    There's a reason I don't like his personality. Some of his music, yes - personality; no.

I wonder what his wife thinks of his statement, given Miranda's obvious love and respect for the old country.

Again, I get what Blake's trying to say, but come on, there has to be a more tactful way of stating it.

I like when his comments get him in hot water. I find him so overrated.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    I wonder what his wife thinks of his statement, given Miranda's obvious love and respect for the old country.

Again, I get what Blake's trying to say, but come on, there has to be a more tactful way of stating it.
    I agree, he didn't do a very good job at all trying to make the point he was trying to make.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post

I can imagine what his wife thinks.
    They both pride themselves for being edgy rebel trouble stirers.
    I'm sure they had a grand laugh over it.
    And we will be hearing from both soon enough: His Statement "you misunderstood, get over it". Her statement "that was hilarious, and you all take yourselves too seriously".

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

That said, it does get tiring to constantly see traditionalists putting down modern country, and I can sympathize with what Blake was probably TRYING to say. He has never come across as very polished, so I can see why his comments came off the way they did. I honestly don't get the impression he meant for his comments to come across as they did; he's just saying country music needs to evolve to survive. And, people ARE probably more likely to be turned on to country music these days by listening to Carrie, Kenny, Lady A, etc. over a legend like Ray Price. I don't mean any disrespect, but it's pretty accurate these days.

Blake's comments were no better (or worse), than what Eric Church said to Rolling Stone last year, but the general point remains the same. The way these guys presented their opinion was questionable, but I can't blame them for being fed up with the criticism and wanting to defend the music they make. Of course it isn't the same music it was 20 years ago; if you expect artists to respect those who paved the way, I think they should also respect the newer faces, too.

I can sympathize with both sides of the argument; in my mind some country legends have been just as disrespectful to the newer artists as some of them have been to them. The blame goes both ways, and it could be handled better from both sides.

Blake's music is getting more vanilla as the days go by; if he hopes to be a legend in 20 years he'll need to step up his game big time. Stop talking and start acting,

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

I like your post, Karly.

I think blame does lie on both sides (and can be egged on by some of the fans on both sides).

I don't stop at granpa's music; I listen to granpa's granma's music

(That was the great Dellie Chandler Norton. The lady to the left of the picture is Sheila Kay Adams, who learnt the technique, and today it's still sung by younger singers like Elizabeth LaPrelle)

The point for me is that Country Music is not (and never has been) just one thing. To make it so narrows it and shuts out much of its strength and variety. I always like the metaphor of seeing it as a tapestry, made up of many threads. Those who focus oinly on a few threads miss the beauty of the whole. In Country Music, no style ever really dies. All the threads, from Appalachian ballads to Psychobilly, and from Red Dirt to Nashville Neo-traditionalism continue to have practitioners and fans - and many of the niche performers and fans are actually younger than Blake himself. These styles can all be found, and the Internet has opened them up as never before. At the same time, styles continue to evolve - most forms of Country Music have both Progressive and Traditional wings.

For me (though not for all) this range of styles can co-exist. I have more respect for artists who see the variety for what its worth, and draw on it as a source of enrichment. It's one of the things I admire in Carrie and Miranda, and less so in some of their contemporaries. I can appreciate George Jones as a musician - less so as an arbiter of taste. I lose patience with people who spend a professional lifetime chasing commercial hits, awards and radio time, and then, when fashions change, decry successors who are following a similar professional imperative. By the same token, I don't blame Blake Shelton for performing music in any style that flies his kite. I'm not impressed with his assertion that winning male vocalist of the year, as a current commercial artist, from a large group of people who also earn their livings in the current commercial industry gives him any right to determine how others should go forward. It'll be a long day coming before I let either gentleman determine what Country Music should or shouldn't be.

Just wondering why does this gets it's own thread why not post it in the blake shelton thread instead?

•  
    Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast