Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Schrodinger

Thread: Miley Cyrus

  1. #1
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    1,828
    Concert Stars

    Miley Cyrus

    No. I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan - never have been. I started this thread for two reasons. One, after listening to this it makes me wish Miley had gone country instead of bad girl pop star to shed her Hannah Montana image. Two, why couldn't she have gone country to shed that image?

    This is an amazing cover.







    Why couldn't Miley have gone country and still escaped her sweet image? Because country loves its outlaw boys, but doesn't want outlaw women. The only one I can think of that comes close is Gretchen Wilson, who was part of the Memphis Mafia's rise. This is another example of country clinging to its sexiest past. Again, I believe the sexism is primary cased by female country fans. A lot of them love their outlaw boys, but wouldn't tolerate an outlaw female. Most male fans probably wouldn't care. Country radio is the other problem, but we all know some of them are living in the 1950s.
    Suellen and teesharky like this.

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan gaycarebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    N/C
    Posts
    5,472
    ^I watched this cover over and over yesterday. So good. I would be quite OK if she went Country, b/c, imo, she pulls it off convincingly.

  • #3
    Insane Carrie Fan Marie2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,862
    the only song by miley cryus that i have heard and liked is the climb.

  • #4
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    I wonder if her not wanting to go the country route had anything to do with her dad being in the business and she wanted to go her own route.

  • #5
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    1,828
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I wonder if her not wanting to go the country route had anything to do with her dad being in the business and she wanted to go her own route.
    The most common reason for a child artist to move in a different direction as an adult is to shed their child star image. In Miley's case I think she didn't go country for that reason and to not have a career in the same genre as her dad. An attempt to stand on her own. She does have deep roots in the country community and she can't ignore those. For example, Dolly is her godmother. Country music not only needs more recognition for female artists, it also needs more really good female artists, period. Bringing in those artists who already have close ties to the community, like Kelly & Miley would be good for the genre. The more great female talent there is, the harder it becomes to keep them as second class members.

  • #6
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,761
    Because her go-Country attempt with "The Climb" failed.

  • #7
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    1,828
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Because her go-Country attempt with "The Climb" failed.
    Yes, but I don't think that was really a reason. If she really wanted to go country she'd try more than one song. I can't believe she couldn't get a good duet to start moving in that direction if she wanted to, which is how Kelly got on the country map even the craptastic remix of Mr Know-it-all didn't hurt her. As Jason pointed out, she can sing convincing country. If she really wanted to move to country the biggest hindrance is her well earned bad girl image. One of the points of my post is another double stranded in country music. Bad boys and male Outlaws are welcome in country music, but bad girl & female outlaws need not apply. Do I approve of Miley's image? No. But then I think Eric is a foul mouthed twit. I guess I'm getting more irritated by the double standards & the place of women in country music seems to be regressing, at least for solo performers.

  • #8
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,983
    Thanks, Schrodinger - I enjoyed that. Not being into the Pop scene, I think that's probably the first Miley Cyrus video I've actually watched in full. I think the steady, rather hypnotic backing music suits the repetitive use of the name and frequent refrain passages in the lyric, and Miley gives the vocal a strong, believable interpretation.

    On your general point, the audience for Outlaw Music does seem to be predominantly male - but I think the biggest obstacle to a "crossover" from teen Pop would be the barriers created by the preconceived sense of "clan loyalty". Many fans show an active dislike for Mainstream Music, and prefer artists who've shown a preference for the Alternative sector all along. They can also be contemptuous of "Fake Outlaws" (people they regard as adopting some of the trappings, while still pitching to a Mainstream audience)

    Dolly Parton is an artist who has always combined a Roots background with a willingness to adapt to Mainstream tastes and contemporary appeal ("Pop Country" in the best sense of the term), and I would see "Jolene" as very much a song in that vein. There've been covers of it in a wide variety of styles and genres, from Punk to Bluegrass.
    The definitive Roots version is probably Mindy Smith's (which Dolly calls her favourite version). Mindy handles the vocal in a gentler, more vulnerable style, with markedly more Progressive backing music. I can only post one video - but for anyone interested, the You Tube address to Mindy's official album video is
    Mindy Smith - Jolene. - YouTube

    However, for a version which might come across with some contemporary Outlaw cred. , here's a Brandi Carlyle live performance (originally a fan request, but later often sung on her Bear Creek Tour)


  • #9
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    1,828
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Thanks, Schrodinger - I enjoyed that. Not being into the Pop scene, I think that's probably the first Miley Cyrus video I've actually watched in full. I think the steady, rather hypnotic backing music suits the repetitive use of the name and frequent refrain passages in the lyric, and Miley gives the vocal a strong, believable interpretation.

    On your general point, the audience for Outlaw Music does seem to be predominantly male - but I think the biggest obstacle to a "crossover" from teen Pop would be the barriers created by the preconceived sense of "clan loyalty". Many fans show an active dislike for Mainstream Music, and prefer artists who've shown a preference for the Alternative sector all along. They can also be contemptuous of "Fake Outlaws" (people they regard as adopting some of the trappings, while still pitching to a Mainstream audience)

    Dolly Parton is an artist who has always combined a Roots background with a willingness to adapt to Mainstream tastes and contemporary appeal ("Pop Country" in the best sense of the term), and I would see "Jolene" as very much a song in that vein. There've been covers of it in a wide variety of styles and genres, from Punk to Bluegrass.
    The definitive Roots version is probably Mindy Smith's (which Dolly calls her favourite version). Mindy handles the vocal in a gentler, more vulnerable style, with markedly more Progressive backing music. I can only post one video - but for anyone interested, the You Tube address to Mindy's official album video is
    Mindy Smith - Jolene. - YouTube

    However, for a version which might come across with some contemporary Outlaw cred. , here's a Brandi Carlyle live performance (originally a fan request, but later often sung on her Bear Creek Tour)
    Wow, thanks for the video. I had not heard of her. Too bad to, she was in concert in Spokane in October. I always love your posts. I learn something new about country music every time.

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    Yes, but I don't think that was really a reason. If she really wanted to go country she'd try more than one song. I can't believe she couldn't get a good duet to start moving in that direction if she wanted to, which is how Kelly got on the country map even the craptastic remix of Mr Know-it-all didn't hurt her. As Jason pointed out, she can sing convincing country. If she really wanted to move to country the biggest hindrance is her well earned bad girl image. One of the points of my post is another double stranded in country music. Bad boys and male Outlaws are welcome in country music, but bad girl & female outlaws need not apply. Do I approve of Miley's image? No. But then I think Eric is a foul mouthed twit. I guess I'm getting more irritated by the double standards & the place of women in country music seems to be regressing, at least for solo performers.
    She has the number-four-peaking duet smash with her Billy Ray Cyrus, which was called "Ready, Set, Don't Go". #BeenThereDoneThat

    She's all over the place and doesn't really have a musical direction figured out yet. And I think she hates the Country music scene as she did at one point say her father is no longer Country because of some bad thing in the scene which I forgot.

  • #11
    Ty
    Ty is offline
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,315
    I love The Backyard Sessions!


  • #12
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,696
    Concert Stars
    Miley said she wouldn't go country because the country music industry is too rigid or something. I can't recall her words- but she made it clear she doesn't like their BS politics about who they accept and who they don't accept. She probably knew they would not accept her after Hanna Montana etc- or her earlier pop albums.

    Country music is pretty closed. If they like you- you are in. If not, good luck to you. lol

    She was probably right to go her own path. Some of the closed mindedness of country can be annoying. Look how they treat even Carrie at times.

  • #13
    Ultimate Carrie Fan clh_hilary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    México
    Posts
    9,761
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Miley said she wouldn't go country because the country music industry is too rigid or something. I can't recall her words- but she made it clear she doesn't like their BS politics about who they accept and who they don't accept. She probably knew they would not accept her after Hanna Montana etc- or her earlier pop albums.

    Country music is pretty closed. If they like you- you are in. If not, good luck to you. lol

    She was probably right to go her own path. Some of the closed mindedness of country can be annoying. Look how they treat even Carrie at times.
    Hannah Montana is actually supposedly a Country Teen Pop sensation.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •