Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Suellen
  • 2 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By buckeyecarriefan

Thread: Country Radio Pulls Sensitive Songs Following Connecticut School Shooting

Concert Stars

Country Radio Pulls Sensitive Songs Following Connecticut School Shooting

Taste of Country

In light of the December 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, a number of country music radio stations have taken a second look at certain songs that receive regular airplay. Two songs by the Band Perry have been temporarily removed from many playlists due to concerns from listeners and program directors.

‘If I Die Young’ has been rested by Curtis Media’s WQDR in Raleigh, N.C., Max Media’s WGH-FM in Norfolk, Va. and by many of the more than 40 country stations owned by Taste of Country parent company Townsquare Media. Country radio consultant Jaye Albright of Albright, O’Malley and Brenner says stations they consult were advised to rest the song as well.

Denver is within 30 minutes of two of the most tragic shootings in recent history — the Century Theater in Aurora and Columbine High School. Doll says ‘Glass’ by Thompson Square, ‘That’s Why I Pray’ by Big and Rich, ‘Jesus Take the Wheel’ by Carrie Underwood and ‘Hello World’ by Lady Antebellum were added in remembrance of victims.

Read entire article

Country Radio Pulls Sensitive Songs Following Connecticut School Shooting
    JB172, Gator, clh_hilary and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    IMO, Townsquare Media and anyone else who wants to pull whatever song by whoever the artist maybe is doing the right thing.
    supercarriefan and Claire2004 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting. These are surely troubled and sad times.

Concert Stars
    That's too bad for TBP, especially since those songs are so good, but it's only temporary and it's probably the right thing to do at the moment.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    "Better Dig Two" is my favorite song of the moment, but I can understand why this was done.

I'm also really glad to see so many fitting songs were added back into country radio playlists; country music (and music in general), has an amazing power to help us through tough times, and the songs chosen couldn't be more appropriate.

Concert Stars
    And as a Carrie fan, I can never hear JTTW too often, so there's a plus.

Overall Airplay - (Dec 18 Update)

49 (=) The Band Perry - "Better Dig Two"
    38.637 (-0.133) million AI

489 (-9) The Band Perry - "If I Die Young"
    1.168 (-0.033) million AI

All the four added songs received not enough airplay to be tracked.

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I personally don't like it. I understand if the people directly involved don't want to hear the songs, but what does Raleigh and Norfolk have to do with this?

People get offended too easily these days. I take absolutely nothing away from the families that are grieving. I have no idea what they're going through and I hope I never do. It's a absolute tragedy and you factor in that it was mostly children this may be the worst and scariest thing I've ever seen happen in this country. But I fail to see why pulling a song off the air temporarily hundreds of miles away is going to help.

Also, I have no way of proving I'm right here, but I would be almost willing to bet that at at least one of those funerals, IIDY was played. I realize no one wants to think about a young person dying, and we shouldn't have to in this way. But sadly it happens and really the song, at least IMO, is pretty much perfect.

But not much I can do about it, and I'm definitely not going to waste a whole lot of time worrying about it. If those radio stations think it's right, well then maybe it is. I just happen to disagree.
    liveasong likes this.

Concert Stars
    I heard IIDY this afternoon on the radio??

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I heard IIDY this afternoon on the radio??
    It still has a significant amount of airplay.

Concert Stars
    and i've heard Better Dig Two on the radio here the past couple days despite them taking them down

Quote Originally Posted by Audra View Post
    and i've heard Better Dig Two on the radio here the past couple days despite them taking them down
    It still has 6499 plays on radio. That's 928 plays per day, 39 plays per hour, once every 1.5 minute. With only ONE single play it's possible for you to hear it on radio. 38.141 MILLION times it had been heard for the past 7 days.

It's just like...You still feel warmth ever if the temperature suddenly drops by 60%.

•