Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Kesha's 'Die Young' pulled from radio - Thoughts?

Kesha's 'Die Young' pulled from radio - Thoughts?

I'm pretty curious to see what you guys have to say on the matter.

Ke$ha's song "Die Young" has been pulled from radio in light of the CT tragedy. While any tragedy is a horrible event to have to recover from, should songs/movies/etc be pulled from consumption???

Personally, I don't think songs, for example, should be pulled from radio. Yes, there should be respect for the victims and their families, but what point does pulling a song really serve? Shouldn't we be focusing on preventing tragedies instead of worrying about what songs are on the radio?

I don't get it...

Here's the TMZ article: Ke$ha Song Pulled -- 'Die Young' PLUMMETS from Radio Charts After Newtown Massacre | TMZ.com

Concert Stars
    Well, I am not sure anyone wanted to listen to a song called "Die Young" when 20 young children were killed. I know if I listened to that I would change the radio station if that song came on. It might pick up after the new year . . .
    pklongbeach likes this.

Idk never heard the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    Idk never heard the song.
    The song is about partying and hooking up.

Concert Stars
    Everybody has different sensitivity levels. I'm a person who puts emotions in filing cabinets, so hearing a song that has nothing to do with an event doesn't affect me at all. On the other hand, some people allow information to bleed together, so seeing what happened to those kids and then hearing "We're gonna die young" over and over again would be gutting. I suppose this was the safest course of action for radio PDs. Our world has become about not offending the most sensitive person in the world, so I can't say I'm surprised. Personally, I would've been fine seeing the song taken off for a few days to a week, but it'll be a darned shame if this goes on for any longer since the song has nothing to do with the shootings. On the other hand, I hope this song isn't getting played at all in Connecticut. They're the most sensitive ones right now (and rightfully so), so it's only fair to them. It would be the respectful thing to do.

This could be a positive for Ke$ha. Lots of people have been griping on about how her new single (C'mon) is gonna be her first flop, but it seems the PDs don't want to appear as if they're punishing Ke$ha, so they're pumping C'mon with more spins than it would've otherwise received (from my perception; chart experts correct me if I'm wrong).

I will say it's interesting that this song is losing so much airplay, yet Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks never received such backlash, even though Pumped Up Kicks was explicitly about a school shooting. It makes me wonder if people heavily lack observational skills or if it's a sexism thing. Just some food for thought on that one.

^While I get the whole sensitivity thing, it would be different if she had released the song immediately after the tragedy. Plus, the song has nothing to do about death or anything.

IMO, Carrie's TBC and Band Perry's BDT should be pulled, as they both directly talk about killing and death. Idk, that's just me.

MTV pretty much sums up what I think:

"I understand the reasons behind pulling "Die Young" from the airwaves ... but, to me, it seems to be fueled by little more than empty sentiment, not to mention a bit of hypocrisy. No matter how you feel about Ke$ha, "Die Young" is only a song, and whether or not it's played on radio will not bring back any of the victims of Sandy Hook, or any other crime. Here's hoping that, as the nation seems to finally be willing to address larger, more important issues, we possess that same perspective, and push for a world where the chorus of a pop song is merely that."

Ke$ha's 'Die Young' And Sandy Hook: The Song Remains The Same - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    ^While I get the whole sensitivity thing, it would be different if she had released the song immediately after the tragedy. Plus, the song has nothing to do about death or anything.

IMO, Carrie's TBC and Band Perry's BDT should be pulled, as they both directly talk about killing and death. Idk, that's just me.
    That's the logical thing to do, but people's brains don't work that way. I'm sure when you're driving and have the radio on, you wouldn't really be able to tell that TBC is about killing someone. But the main hook in Die Young is, "We're gonna die young." That's what people hear the most often, and it's the most punctuated lyric in the entire song. It doesn't matter that the song itself is about partying; it's that the one thing they hear and remember about the song is, "We're gonna die young."

I think BDT is receiving a tiny, tiny bit of the same treatment since it's been losing AIs for the past few days I believe. But even if it wasn't, you really have to listen to the song to pick up on its message. You have to pay attention. Since people generally don't pay attention when they're driving and listening to the radio (hence why truck and beer songs do so well), the song can sneak by. Unfortunately, Ke$ha directly says "We're gonna die young," and though the song is irrelevant, it still reminds people of the shootings, so they'd prefer not to hear it.

So to sum up my post: yes, you're being logical, but grief is not a logical emotion.
    Pi314CA likes this.

I'm pretty curious to see what you guys have to say on the matter.

Ke$ha's song "Die Young" has been pulled from radio in light of the CT tragedy. While any tragedy is a horrible event to have to recover from, should songs/movies/etc be pulled from consumption???

Personally, I don't think songs, for example, should be pulled from radio. Yes, there should be respect for the victims and their families, but what point does pulling a song really serve? Shouldn't we be focusing on preventing tragedies instead of worrying about what songs are on the radio?

I don't get it...

Here's the TMZ article: Ke$ha Song Pulled -- 'Die Young' PLUMMETS from Radio Charts After Newtown Massacre | TMZ.com
    Well it keeps repeating "We're gonna die young young young young young young", what do you expect?

One thing to note is that it was peaking already, so it would have dropped 2-4 million in airplay every day anyways. This incident doubles or triples the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    Well, I am not sure anyone wanted to listen to a song called "Die Young" when 20 young children were killed. I know if I listened to that I would change the radio station if that song came on. It might pick up after the new year . . .
    It won't pick up after the New Year outside of the surge in airplay that happen to ALL songs. It's done.

Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Everybody has different sensitivity levels. I'm a person who puts emotions in filing cabinets, so hearing a song that has nothing to do with an event doesn't affect me at all. On the other hand, some people allow information to bleed together, so seeing what happened to those kids and then hearing "We're gonna die young" over and over again would be gutting. I suppose this was the safest course of action for radio PDs. Our world has become about not offending the most sensitive person in the world, so I can't say I'm surprised. Personally, I would've been fine seeing the song taken off for a few days to a week, but it'll be a darned shame if this goes on for any longer since the song has nothing to do with the shootings. On the other hand, I hope this song isn't getting played at all in Connecticut. They're the most sensitive ones right now (and rightfully so), so it's only fair to them. It would be the respectful thing to do.

This could be a positive for Ke$ha. Lots of people have been griping on about how her new single (C'mon) is gonna be her first flop, but it seems the PDs don't want to appear as if they're punishing Ke$ha, so they're pumping C'mon with more spins than it would've otherwise received (from my perception; chart experts correct me if I'm wrong).

I will say it's interesting that this song is losing so much airplay, yet Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks never received such backlash, even though Pumped Up Kicks was explicitly about a school shooting. It makes me wonder if people heavily lack observational skills or if it's a sexism thing. Just some food for thought on that one.
    Radio are only upping "C'mon" by around 1 million in airplay every day. I've heard reports saying they're replacing it with "We R Who We R", but I can't seem to observe a significance surge in that song either.

Most of its airplay went to songs like "Don't You Worry Child", "I Knew You Were Trouble.", "Ho Hey" and all other songs. This is hardly a positive for Ke$ha considering her album is flopping and now she has no singles in the holiday, with CO not selling well, so she's losing all momentum.

Foster The People's "Pumped Up Kicks" is experiencing a sharp decline in airplay in comparison to its current overall airplay. During its peak, there wasn't a big shooting event in schools.

The Band Perry's "Better Dig Two" is being pulled.

MTV pretty much sums up what I think:

"I understand the reasons behind pulling "Die Young" from the airwaves ... but, to me, it seems to be fueled by little more than empty sentiment, not to mention a bit of hypocrisy. No matter how you feel about Ke$ha, "Die Young" is only a song, and whether or not it's played on radio will not bring back any of the victims of Sandy Hook, or any other crime. Here's hoping that, as the nation seems to finally be willing to address larger, more important issues, we possess that same perspective, and push for a world where the chorus of a pop song is merely that."

Ke$ha's 'Die Young' And Sandy Hook: The Song Remains The Same - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
    And the same goes to something else that's being done a lot lately - Prayers.

Prayers won't bring back anyone, won't guarantee an (good) after life for anybody, and won't prevent anything. But people do it because it makes them feel better. The same goes to pulling DY.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    The Band Perry's "Better Dig Two" is being pulled
    It is?

What does a pulling a song really do? Absolutely nothing. It just hurst the artist, which is a shame. Call me insensitive, but I find this whole thing rather idiotic.

Anyways, Ke$ha tweeted earlier:

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 10.22.14 PM.jpg

And:

tweet.jpg

That 2nd tweet has now been deleted...I find it rather interesting. I had actually heard things about Ke$ha being a manipulated product with no control over her direction...

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    While I understand why they pulled it, if this song is the kind of thing they're stopping, tons of movies, commercials, shows, songs, etc., could be pulled as well based on content. Anything involving guns, children, death, separately or merged together, is up for being stopped, as they can all trigger feelings of grief. While the one lyric in this song is very clear... I don't know, it just makes me think what else is going to be pulled from the media as well.

I don't mean to sound insensitive if I do - just trying to explain myself clearly!
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Well it keeps repeating "We're gonna die young young young young young young", what do you expect?

One thing to note is that it was peaking already, so it would have dropped 2-4 million in airplay every day anyways. This incident doubles or triples the drop.

It won't pick up after the New Year outside of the surge in airplay that happen to ALL songs. It's done.

Radio are only upping "C'mon" by around 1 million in airplay every day. I've heard reports saying they're replacing it with "We R Who We R", but I can't seem to observe a significance surge in that song either.

Most of its airplay went to songs like "Don't You Worry Child", "I Knew You Were Trouble.", "Ho Hey" and all other songs. This is hardly a positive for Ke$ha considering her album is flopping and now she has no singles in the holiday, with CO not selling well, so she's losing all momentum.

Foster The People's "Pumped Up Kicks" is experiencing a sharp decline in airplay in comparison to its current overall airplay. During its peak, there wasn't a big shooting event in schools.

The Band Perry's "Better Dig Two" is being pulled.

And the same goes to something else that's being done a lot lately - Prayers.

Prayers won't bring back anyone, won't guarantee an (good) after life for anybody, and won't prevent anything. But people do it because it makes them feel better. The same goes to pulling DY.
    Wow to the bolded. I don't want to start a discussion on religion here because it is off-topic and will inevitably lead to the thread being closed, but this statement bothers me a lot. It is offensive. Go ahead and call me oversensitive and attack me if you wish, but I don't think you can liken prayer, which is a religious action, to a song being pulled from the radio. You may not personally believe in prayer, but millions of people (including myself) do. There was no reason for you to add these comments to your post at all other than to be inflammatory.

Anyway, onto the issue at hand, I think that Kesha's tweets on the issue are interesting. I'm glad to know she wasn't comfortable singing those lyrics. I think that, as others have mentioned, that the real issue with this particular song is that it does repeat the words "die young" over and over. It stirs up feelings for a lot of people given the recent tragedy, and I don't think radio is being oversensitive at all for pulling it.
    Also, TBP's Better Dig Two has not been pulled from radio. It is experiencing some loss in airplay over the past few days, but part of that could be the Christmas slowdown in conjunction with recent events. I see no reason why this song won't shoot up the charts come January.

I just think it sucks that Kesha's career has to suffer b/c of something completely out of her control.

If she's being punished, shouldn't everyone else? Such double standards.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This is interesting; I can't stand Ke$ha's music, but I have mixed feelings about this. I can see how people would be sensitive to the fact that the main hook of the song is "we're gonna die young," after such a tragic shooting. This effect has affected and touched a nerve with people all over the world, and I really think people are realizing that something needs to be done about the shootings and acceptance of violence in our culture. Add in the heated debates about gun laws and the fact that young, innocent kids were the victims, and you've got yourself a huge mess that resonates with millions of people. I think this was something that was done in the wake of the massive reaction and outrage to the shooting, and even though the song is in no way directly tied to the events, it was done in an appropriate manner, in my opinion.

Sometimes when people feel helpless and cannot do anything on their own, they feel like they need to take something into their own hands, and it seems like this is what happened here.

On the same token, though, the song isn't directly about violence, and if people are indeed offended, I would've thought they would've chosen a song that deals directly with violence/shootings, rather than this one. Hell, if we want to pull this song off the air, we might as well boycott every rapper in the business.

I can see both sides of the argument here, and I sympathize with anyone who is deeply affected by this, yet feels powerless. It seems this was done as a way to appease people and show some sensitivity to the situation and the victims, which I understand. But, if this really was done in order to take a stand against violence or to make some sort of statement, there are more effective ways to do so than pulling a top 40 song off the air.

Let's stop talking and do something proactive (or for the victims) if we REALLY want to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    It is?
    Not completely pulled, but Ke$ha's isn't either.

TBP was having massive gains but suddenly lost in airplay for the past 3 days.

What does a pulling a song really do? Absolutely nothing. It just hurst the artist, which is a shame. Call me insensitive, but I find this whole thing rather idiotic.

Anyways, Ke$ha tweeted earlier:

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 10.22.14 PM.jpg

And:

tweet.jpg

That 2nd tweet has now been deleted...I find it rather interesting. I had actually heard things about Ke$ha being a manipulated product with no control over her direction...

Pulling a song makes people feel better. If not the listeners, the DJs or PDs.

Ke$ha has writing credit on "Die Young". But there was a story saying that Nate from Fun. & Dr. Luke constructed her the chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Wow to the bolded. I don't want to start a discussion on religion here because it is off-topic and will inevitably lead to the thread being closed, but this statement bothers me a lot. It is offensive. Go ahead and call me oversensitive and attack me if you wish, but I don't think you can liken prayer, which is a religious action, to a song being pulled from the radio. You may not personally believe in prayer, but millions of people (including myself) do. There was no reason for you to add these comments to your post at all other than to be inflammatory.
    Just because millions believe it does something, doesn't make it so. Obviously a lot of DJs/PDs and listeners believe pulling the song is helping as well.

Note that I didn't say we shouldn't do prayers, but to pray and to pull the song are the same thing - They are to be done to make the living feel better. Nothing more, nothing less. Should they be done? Yes, because I think they do make people feel better, but I don't see why they shouldn't be compared. If you can give me one piece of evidence proving that prayer is a more effective measure to help the dead, I'll take back my words, but until then, I was merely speaking the truth. Again, I acknowledge that prayers might be more effective to some people than to pulling the song, but they are the same style of 'solution' in coping with the matter.

You're just feeling 'offended' because you disapprove of one thing and approve of another. I was hoping you could try to understand what the DJs are doing. There are also other things, like hugging your children after hearing the news, drawing a tribute picture and then burning it for the dead, having a moment of silence, posting your frustration and grief on a forum, etc. All of these things are useful for the living but not the dead, the same goes to pulling the song and praying.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    This is interesting; I can't stand Ke$ha's music, but I have mixed feelings about this. I can see how people would be sensitive to the fact that the main hook of the song is "we're gonna die young," after such a tragic shooting. This effect has affected and touched a nerve with people all over the world, and I really think people are realizing that something needs to be done about the shootings and acceptance of violence in our culture. Add in the heated debates about gun laws and the fact that young, innocent kids were the victims, and you've got yourself a huge mess that resonates with millions of people. I think this was something that was done in the wake of the massive reaction and outrage to the shooting, and even though the song is in no way directly tied to the events, it was done in an appropriate manner, in my opinion.

Sometimes when people feel helpless and cannot do anything on their own, they feel like they need to take something into their own hands, and it seems like this is what happened here.

On the same token, though, the song isn't directly about violence, and if people are indeed offended, I would've thought they would've chosen a song that deals directly with violence/shootings, rather than this one. Hell, if we want to pull this song off the air, we might as well boycott every rapper in the business.

I can see both sides of the argument here, and I sympathize with anyone who is deeply affected by this, yet feels powerless. It seems this was done as a way to appease people and show some sensitivity to the situation and the victims, which I understand. But, if this really was done in order to take a stand against violence or to make some sort of statement, there are more effective ways to do so than pulling a top 40 song off the air.

Let's stop talking and do something proactive (or for the victims) if we REALLY want to make a difference.
    Rappers are hardly played on Pop radio - Which is the main format where DY is being pulled.
    bigbluegrl23 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I just think it sucks that Kesha's career has to suffer b/c of something completely out of her control.
    It won't matter. The Illuminati's gonna kill her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    It won't matter. The Illuminati's gonna kill her anyway.
    Not if she continues to smash. They will need her influences to influence the world.
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

"Die Young" lost another 7.852 million AI in exchange of 1.746 million AI for "C'mon".

Concert Stars
    I agree with Hilary in that any display of humanity or effort to show sensitivity at this time is appropriate.
    Anything less would be "bad PR".
    For those who are more worried about Kesha, think what it does to the publics perception of you if you are blasting those lyrics in thier faces. IT is probably better for "her" that it is pulled.
    I mean, gosh, alot of very young children just died and thier gardians with them, in a very violent way at the hands of a mad man.
    And you want to argue about a pop song not being played out of sensitivity to them?
    (Again, it is probably better for her that they don't play it.)
    And if there was any outcry what so ever regarding Carries current single being inappropirate, I would be all for pulling it.
    This event is unpresedented in our nation and whatever its gonna take to allow people to move forward is what we should do.
    These songs are silly distractions to an otherwise serious world.
    clh_hilary likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast