Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By gaycarebear
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: Pink, a true pop artist

Pink, a true pop artist

I found this piece on Twitter today that looks at the state of pop culture and music and how future generations will look back at us. Plus, there's a Taylor Swift mention (a bad one, don't worry):

One day, many years from now, future generations will look back at this time in our country's history and wonder what in the hell were we thinking.
    The Kardashians are famous for no reason, same-sex marriage is controversial for stupid reasons, and somehow the "Twilight" franchise is a cash cow.
    But our culture's biggest sin may well be the auto-tuned syrup we've allowed to dominate the pop charts. All-time chart records are handed to vacuous acts such as the Black Eyed Peas and singing awards are given to vocal lightweights such as Taylor Swift.

History will show a dark time in our culture in which a million followers on Twitter became a key component to winning a Grammy.
    But thank God for Pink.

That's what I was thinking as I was watching her performance during Sunday's American Music Awards. She recreated the video for her current single, "Try," a midtempo ballad about the ups and downs of an imperfect relationship:

"Where there is desire
    There is gonna be a flame
    Where there is a flame
    Someone's bound to get burned
    But just because it burns
    Doesn't mean you're gonna die
    You've gotta get up and try try try"

Singing words like that live with the right level of emotion that Pink is known for is hard enough. Doing so while in engaged in an athletic pas de deux, complete with lifts, is breathtaking. She received a standing ovation afterward, much in the same way she commanded one at the 2010 Grammys as she swung over the audience's heads on a trapeze, asking:

"Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
    Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, "I just don't care"?"

It would all seem like a meat-dress wearing gimmick if she didn't have the voice and lyrics to back it up. But she does, and thus we can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing her voice will be there for future generations to discover when looking back at us.

Pink, a true pop artist - CNN.com

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    I whole-heartedly agree!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Pink did an awesome job. I bet many who hardly knew her are now in awe and have become Pink fans. Her performance was breathtaking.
    If others recognize the lack of vocal abilities in some singers, why can't those giving awards to "vocal lightweights" understand the fallacy of the awards given to the underserved. It is making a mockery of too many award shows and is discouraging for those artists who deserve the awards and discouraging for their fans who see the absurdity of it.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Pink is phenomenal. She has a great voice, and she's one of the few artists left who doesn't just sing about meaningless fluff. I've always respected her for being so real and down to earth, too.
    jaylee50 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I have always liked Pink and when I heard her compliment Carrie's BA performance at the BBMA I even respected her more. It takes a real confident and honest artist to be able to give credit to another vocalist that she may be compared to at some point. Her performance that night with Try was the best I have ever seen her. How she was able to sing through all of those positions I will never know. Amazing performance, amazing lady.

•