Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Natalie Maines Upcoming Album Thread (Solo project)

Natalie Maines Upcoming Album Thread (Solo project)

Okay, main reason for creating this thread...NATALIE MAINES JUST TWEETED ME #DEAD!

No biggie, just responding to my whininess

Also, Natalie has now repeatedly confirmed that her next project, a solo album, will drop in the Spring of 2013. She has described the CD as a Rock album, and has written half the songs on the album. It is also highly likely that she will cover a Jeff Buckley song on the CD (she indicated that she recorded the song, but nut no word on whether it will make the final cut).

AND HERE'S HER RESPONSE :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...63089730_n.jpg

Concert Stars
    So are the Dixie Chicks officially broken up then? She is doing a solo project, and Emily and Marnie did Courtyard Hounds. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    So are the Dixie Chicks officially broken up then? She is doing a solo project, and Emily and Marnie did Courtyard Hounds. hmmm
    They both keep saying things like "Oh, these are just our own things, but we are still very much a band", and they do occasionally perform together for charity and stuff.

It would appear they're very much a band that is never gonna release music ever again

Emily just had another baby too.

Well I think the problem is Dixie Chicks is supposed to be a Country band, and none of them is even remotely interested in involving in the Country music anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Well I think the problem is Dixie Chicks is supposed to be a Country band, and none of them is even remotely interested in involving in the Country music anymore.
    Quite the opposite. Emily and Martie still have their heart in country-bluegrass. Natalie has no interest whatsoever in returning to Nashville. They've repeatedly said that the reason for their hiatus is that they simply are unable to reach a consensus on what direction to take their music.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Quite the opposite. Emily and Martie still have their heart in country-bluegrass. Natalie has no interest whatsoever in returning to Nashville. They've repeatedly said that the reason for their hiatus is that they simply are unable to reach a consensus on what direction to take their music.
    So Natalie still wants to sing Country music? But just not going back to Nashville?

I was under that impression cuz Emily and Martie's band is classified as 'Rock' by Billboard I believe, so I sorta assume they've left Country. And I mean, if they can't reach a consensus they can always change members...

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    There's no point in changing members, just because people remember them as a trio. Thay've been doing this sort of thing since Emily was 12, and they've survived several changes of lineup, only two of which have been trios. The Hounds have made it clear that they didn't want the hiatus (which was announced privately to them before the 2006 tour was even over). Out of deference, they waited a long time before getting back - Emily continued writing, but was unsure what to do with the songs. Joe Ely of the Flatlanders persuaded Martie to build a studio, and they went from there. Asheville to Nashville to cashville is a time honoured route to commercial success - but the Austin scene is really more suited to their type of music.

Fans have raised the question of why, if Natalie's unwilling to record and tour as a Dixie Chick, she is, nevertheless willing to record and tour in support of a solo album. I think the answer to that may be suggested by her Dallas Morning News interview and her Greg Fiztsimmons podcast, in both of which she said the Dixie Chicks will always be seen as Country. I think she wants to get away from that, for reasons that are partly a personal reaction to the events of 2003. and partly arise from socio-political stereotypes that she holds about the Mainstream sector. She also says her family suffers when she's a Dixie Chick.

However, it seems unlikely that they'll formally break up. I suspect they'll remain as an "occasional band", doing things like the Texas Wildfire benefit, and singing earlier hit material. It's the direction of any future new work that gives them difficulty.

There are still unanswered questions about Natalie's solo album. For example it's unclear whether she's releasing it independently, or whether it will have major label backing within the Sony group. It's also unclear whether it will be issued as a CD, or just to digital outlets.
    Natalie has said that it will be co-produced by herself and Ben Harper, and that Ben sings harmony throughout. That possibly implies that Ben's backing group, the Js, will play on it, as they did on Natalie's most recent concert appearances.

I wouldn't take the word "Rock" too literally. Natalie seems to use "Rock" to cover most forms of adult Pop (for example, she's covered Beach Boys and Train songs in recent years and called them "Rock.") I suspect there may not be much of the fierce Roots Rock favoured by many Alt Country and Texas musicians. Ben Harper's work seems to be a Progressive mixture of Blues, Country and Folk influences.

(Aayush - congratulations on getting a tweet back - even if it didn't delve far into the mystery)

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    If I remember correctly Natalie was not pursuing the country genre before she joined the Dixie Chicks.

She does give that impression, but her back story has been re-emphasized, to reflect her current feelings. In her first major press interview before the 2006 tour, she told Entertainment Weekly "Being in Country Music, from the beginning, was never who I was". But this does not really tie in with the facts. Her mother contradicted her claim that she didn't listen to Country Music growing up - leaving her sister to cover it by saying "well, she listened to all sorts of music". Her first known recording was "White Woman's Clothes", on an album by Andy Wilkinson, a traditional Western singer and poet, who specialized in songs about the history of the frontier and cattle drives. Of the four colleges (all unfinished) where she studied, the longest time was spent at South Plains at Levelland - which specializes in Country and Bluegrass. Her first (part time) job in music was as a session backing singer in Don Caldwell's Lubbock studio - the girl she partnered is still active, and does sing Country. Her boyfriend, and future first husband, is the bass player in Pat Green's band - and Pat (before he graduated to singing about "hanging out with Carrie Under....the spotlights!) was happy to have Natalie sing with the band. The few songs, like the oddly titled "John Wayne and Jesus" from that pre-Dixie Chick venture are mainly of little interest - but this Townes Van Zandt classic is a real gem, and shows the direction she could have gone:

I have no doubt that Natalie did enjoy other music too - but the theory that she wasn't into Country is definitely exaggerated. She auditioned for Berklee College (where she stayed for one semester) with a tape that included non-Country songs. She had already left there (her father says because she was homesick) and enrolled at Texas Tech, when her father showed the same tape to the Chicks - whose band he often played in. They were impressed - but also because she could handle Country songs as well. Versatility made her seem a good bet for a commercial push.

I don't think she'll ever go near Mainstream Country again - but the new song that we've seen a live video of (Ben Harper's "Vein in Vain") contains Alt Country influences - and she's still a big admirer of Austin Alt. Country star, Patty Griffin.
    clh_hilary likes this.

Concert Stars
    First off, Great News.
    I love her voice so much, and I so want her to get on with her creative life and leave the past behind.
    But sometimes leaving the past behind means dealing with it and having closure so you can move forward.
    Part of me feels like the Dixies' last album actually further created the divide they felt with country.
    IT went on to be huge for them but it became so public that it was a finger-jesture to county (weather intentional or not). And that just made the feelings between the two worse.
    I just feel har voice was built to sing country music and I think she just wants to be seen as a wider artist than that. And that is cool. But you don't have to abandon a love just to grow.
    I have always felt that the Dixies could have continued to make music they loved and that slowly they would have reclaimed the industry.
    Now I know it is a personal choice of Nat's to refuse them regardless. But again, that doesn't mean you should give up a love cause the system doesn't accept you.
    Believe me, as a Gay Man, If I stopped loving because the system was against my personal beliefs, I would live a life of a lie and the system couldn't care less.
    Point is, you find your happiness for your life, and the system is just going to have to deal or not deal.
    Your happiness is your on.
    And I have watched this girl perform with the Dixies, and they were "truly happy".
    I would love to see that day again.
    Natilie felt the hate of a society. And it is very scary and it hurts. But you survive it and continue on the road to happiness.
    Cause those people who hate (that woman who told her child to hate) do not hold your happiness!
    You Do!

FIRST OFF, NATALIE TWEETED ME AGAIN!

Aayush Rajasekaran ‏@aayush_raj
    Glenn Beck dumps Obama-figurine into a bottle of what he claimed was his own pee yet @1NatalieMaines was unforgivably disrespectful of POTUS

29 Nov Natalie Maines ‏@1NatalieMaines
    @aayush_raj He didn't do it on "foreign soil". Did he really do that? #sodisgusting

SECOND OFF, THEY'RE GOING ON TOUR!

Probably not a huge tour, but Natalie has confirmed that she will be going on tour in support of her album. BUT, Emily replied to a fan question saying that we could expect some DIxie Chicks tour dates in the summer! Probably a couple of festivals, maybe a 10-date tour, I don't know, But it's exciting news!

I have two updates, which should be good news for fans

Firstly, on Natalie. Her album is "finished by Christmas" and should be out on May 7th next year. Natalie has posted this picture, which she says is part of the publicity shoot for the album

https://twitter.com/1NatalieMaines/s...971136/photo/1

Secondly, on the Dixie Chicks. Summer tour dates are being announced for Canada.
    One is for the Craven Country Jamboree in Saskatchewan, on July 13th, where they will be joining Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Scotty McCreery, Brantley Gilbert, Sawyer Brown, Chad Brown, Gloriana, Randy Travis and Bill Anderson. among others
    2013 ::: Craven Country Jamboree ::: The World's Greatest Country Music Festival!
    Another is at Cavendish Beach, Prince Edward Island on July 7th, where Little Big Town and (again) Kenny Chesney are also appearing. The Chicks are closing headliners for the Sunday of the three day festival, and a "meet and greet" is available
    Cavendish Beach Music Festival 2013

Natalie agreeing to join the trio in associating with Mainstream Country events again would appear to be a significant gesture of reconciliation, and may be influenced by a desire to balance her decision to make a solo album by giving the others the opportunity of higher profile appearances. (I have no information yet, though, on whether she is also prepared to return to the Country scene in the US, which she has hitherto shown a strong desire to distance herself from)
    carebear4eva and clh_hilary like this.

To confirm what Faraway posted above, Nats new album, "Mother", which she has described as a rock record is out 7th May! I'm now bugging her to tell me when a single / preview will be released

Exciting news about the tour! So they're gonna be in Canada between 7th and 13th...Wonder if we could expect some more dates then...Those concerts are SOOOOO far from where I live :/

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    To confirm what Faraway posted above, Nats new album, "Mother", which she has described as a rock record is out 7th May! I'm now bugging her to tell me when a single / preview will be released
    It's going to be a duet with Toby called "At Twenty Paces"
    carebear4eva likes this.

Just to sorta confirm what we already suspected - there aren't gonna be very many DC shows...Natalie just tweeted that she is going on tour by herself, but there would be "just a few DC shows"

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love Natalie, but I miss the Dixie Chicks SO much. I'll be absolutely heartbroken if they never release another album.
    carebear4eva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I love Natalie, but I miss the Dixie Chicks SO much. I'll be absolutely heartbroken if they never release another album.
    Ditto...They just made magic

Home is an absolute masterpiece. I don't even like bluegrass music, but that album is perfect beyond belief.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Natalie's cover of Mother can now be listened to online for free over here : Hearing A Mother's Song After Tragedy : The Record : NPR

I'VE MISSED THAT VOICE SO MUCH :'(

Thanks for the link, Aayush

For anyone interested, I have posted a review of this song, here:

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast