Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ashley Monroe - new album era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Ashley Monroe - new album era

This will be Ashley's second solo album (her first, teenage album was stalled by Sony after two lead singles, and released only to a closed college student network. Considerably later it was given a general, but digital only, release). She also released some independent work, as an EP and single tracks on compilation albums, and an award winning video, "Old Enough", with Jack White. After a teenage career as one of the youngest ever songwriters signed to a Nashville publishing house, she co-wrote Carrie's "Flat on the Floor" and has written several of the Pistol Annies songs, where she appears as "Hippie Annie"

The second album (title so far unknown) is expected out on Warner Nashvile next year. It will be co-produced by Vince Gill.

This is the advance single which Ashley co-wrote with Jon Randall (of Oklahoma Wind fame) and the legendary Texas songwriter Guy Clark (that is some line-up! )

gaycarebear and opry051008 like this.

Ashley's new album will have the same title as the advance single, "Like A Rose". It will be available for digital download on Dec. 18th an in stores on January 22nd

The new album will also include a duet with Blake Shelton

Ashley posted this message to fans:
    "This has been a long journey to get to this point, and I can’t wait to share more new music with you all. Thank you so very much for sticking by me over the years and to all of you new fans & friends, welcome aboard! I hope you all enjoy hearing my story woven through every one of these tracks. I was so lucky to work with such amazing co-writers, and of course the man who produced the record, Vince Gill."
    quincyeyes likes this.

Further news:

Under Vince Gill's production, the album will be cut the old-school way, with no second takes - Ashley is used to this approach to studio vocals, from her independent work

The duet with Blake Shelton will be a a light hearted dig at themselves for not being one of the great duet partnerships of the past, "You Ain’t Dolly (And You Ain’t Porter).”

There will also be a song co-written with Karen Fairchild of Little Big Town, "You Got Me,"
    As well as the title track, Jon Randall will be involved on “She’s Driving Me Out Of Your Mind,"
    Shane McAnally, whose current hit song is Better Dig Two, wili be the co-wrtiter of "Two Weeks Late.”

Other tracks announced will include “Monroe Suede,” “Morning After,” and “Weed Instead of Roses”

Ashley is reprising one song from her earlier teenage album, "Used". Although it will be re-arranged and recut for this album, this was the original version:

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Country Universe review of "Like A Rose"

Ashley Monroe has a new album coming out December 18, and she’s offering the title track as a free download on her Facebook page. You just might find it to be the best non-purchase you’ve made in quite some time.

How to describe “Like a Rose”? Thoughtfully written, clear-eyed, quietly sincere, and country through and through – not that we would expect anything less from a song co-written by Jon Randall and Guy Clark. An absorbing, inspiring story of moving forward from a troubled past to a bright future – told in one simple snapshot of a narrator sitting at a cafe, waiting to take a bus down south.

Like Kacey Musgraves on her surprisingly well-received hit “Merry Go ‘Round,” Monroe shows that she’s not afraid to delve into the not-always-rosy details of life as she builds her characters back story. She’s had to cope with the death of one parent and the alcohol addiction of the other, as well as some romantic disappointment. But the overall tone is not despondent, but hopeful as the narrator prepares to move on to a new life, fully understanding that it is not her past heartaches that define her.

The arrangement supports the lyric beautifully, with sweet strains of dobro and steel guitar showing just how effective pure country instrumentation can be at enhancing the narrative of a well-constructed lyric. But it’s ultimately Monroe’s unaffected, sincere vocal reading that makes “Like a Rose” such a compelling record. The Pistol Annies connection has given Monroe’s profile a well-deserved boost, but “Like a Rose” gives one reason to be thankful that her solo career is not being abandoned. Now let’s hear that new album.

Written by Ashley Monroe, Jon Randall, and Guy Clark

Grade: A

Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Single Review: Ashley Monroe, “Like a Rose”
    gocountrymusic and quincyeyes like this.

A great live performance of the title track by Ashley & Vince at the Opry this week

Ashley held a preview party for her new album in Nashville last night. Vince Gill was there, who produced it.

Ashley Monroe, sometimes known as "Hippie Annie" from the Pistol Annies, gave a preview of her upcoming album, Like a Rose, at an industry function in icy, frigid Nashville last night (Jan. 14). Vince Gill, who produced the collection of songs, was also on hand to discuss the recording.

The forthcoming collection is country as grits, bathed in steel guitar, fiddle and Ashley's East Tennessee twang. And at 27 minutes long, it's an easy listen that will leave you wanting more. The rollicking leadoff track, "Two Weeks Late," tackles an unplanned pregnancy, and the semi-autobiographical title track (co-written with Guy Clark and Jon Randall Stewart) lays out some of the details of Ashley's rough teenage years. In "Used," she notes that our experiences both good and bad make us more valuable to our future mates. Then there's "Weed Instead of Roses," and you can use your imagination on that one.

Ashley and Vince came together for the project as mutual fans, and Vince insisted that he tried not to interfere too much with Ashley's sound. "I was crazy about Ashley's voice," said Vince. "I'm just flattered that she was kind enough to call me. In listening to her as a fan, what I tried to do was capture what she does best."

http://www.countryweekly.com/news/ashley-monroe-rose

The "Like a Rose" video is out!

CMT : Music Video : Like A Rose : Ashley Monroe

Listening to her album now, via Rolling Stone.

I love it so far.

Ashley Monroe Shows Her Wild Side on 'Like a Rose' Album Premiere | Music News | Rolling Stone
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    Listening to her album now, via Rolling Stone.

I love it so far.

Ashley Monroe Shows Her Wild Side on 'Like a Rose' Album Premiere | Music News | Rolling Stone
    Thanks, Jason!

I'll be downloading a few of these tracks, I love her voice.

Her tone reminds me a bit of Leann Womack's, actually.
    gaycarebear likes this.

Concert Stars
    Ashley Monroe’s ‘Like A Rose’ is the first great album of the year

Ashley Monroe?s ?Like A Rose? is the first great album of the year - The Washington Post

Time to scrub that “I like all kinds of music, except country” line off your OkCupid profile. If you’ve tried online dating, you’re fluent in human loneliness, which means you should get familiar with the sniffly catharsis of a good country song — the kind Ashley Monroe knows how to sing with Kleenex-depleting grace.

The Knoxville native’s “Like A Rose” isn’t just the first great album of 2013 — it’s the first in a cascade of discs from female country singers plotting to dominate annual best-of lists eight months down the road. Kacey Musgraves and Kelleigh Bannen are staging rookie breakouts. Lead Dixie Chick Natalie Maines is returning from exile. And the great Gretchen Wilson has promised — count ’em — three new albums by year’s end. So if you’re already hooked on ABC’s twangy record biz soap opera “Nashville,” why not lean your ear toward the real deal?

This should be a big year for Monroe alone. Pistol Annies, her fiery trio with Miranda Lambert and Angaleena Presley, have promised a sophomore effort in the months ahead, where Monroe will likely continue to play the foil to her brassier bandmates. (She’s also sung alongside Will Hoge, Wanda Jackson and Jack White, whom she first met by asking for his autograph at the airport.) But on her own, Monroe reprises the old-school balladry of Keith Whitley and the emotive oomph of Pam Tillis. At 26, she sings like she’s already lived at least two of her lifetimes.
    In concert, she’s introduced her album’s title track as a “98 percent true story.” It’s a ballad about a father who died too soon, a romance that burned too fast and the bus ticket that took her away from it all.
    From his studio swivel chair, Nashville veteran and co-producer Vince Gill frames Monroe’s survival tale with expert sensitivity, dispatching tic-tac bass lines and honeyed steel guitars, seemingly unconcerned with what might glisten or pop on the radio.
    His guidance can be heard most clearly on “Used,” a gorgeous tune that first appeared on “Satisfied,” the debut album Monroe lost in label-merger limbo in 2007, and finally released in 2009.
    Here, Gill stokes the tempo, de-clutters the arrangement and gives Monroe enough space to live inside the song, as painful as that might be. (She compares her life to “a book read so many times it starts to split in two.”)
    “Yeah, I feel sorry for me,” Monroe sighs on “Two Weeks Late,” this time throwing a pity party with an emphasis on the party. Unable to ditch a nagging landlord, or locate her AWOL lover, she finds herself “a dollar short and two weeks late.” It’s the most enjoyable pregnancy-scare anthem since Eric Church’s “Two Pink Lines.”
    Just a few ticks over 30 minutes, the album leaves little room for wrong turns, but there are two. The roadhouse-ready “Weed Instead of Roses” maps out a romantic weekend full of huffy-puffy-freaky-deakiness. Monroe’s crystalline voice is capable of lifting the heaviest of lyrics, but it doesn’t sell half-baked S&M.
    And the finale, “You Ain’t Dolly (And You Ain’t Porter),” only suffers from bad timing. It’s a playful, smack-talking duet with Blake Shelton that actually manages to squeeze in a plug for “The Voice,” the televised singing contest that Shelton co-hosts with the enthusiasm of a dental hygienist.
    He’s more charismatic here. And while it’s generous of Monroe to close out the program with a laugh, we’re not ready to put away the tissues just yet.

Recommended tracks:
    “Like A Rose,” “Two Weeks Late,” “Used”

Michael Loccisano/Getty Images - Singers Vince Gill and Ashley Monroe perform during the All For the Hall New York concert benefiting the Country Music Hall of Fame at Best Buy Theater on February 26, 2013 in New York City.

Ashley's giving a live show at 3rd & Lindsley in Nashville tonight (Thursday 7th March). If anyone would like to watch, you can get a live stream here (starting at 6, CST)
    3RD AND LINDSLEY :: OFFICIAL

edit: fot those interested, I first (incorrectly) said Eastern Time. I have now corrected that to Central Standard Time

- (Time zones are a pain - I must have thought Ashley was still in Knoxville, Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Thanks, Jason!

I'll be downloading a few of these tracks, I love her voice.

Her tone reminds me a bit of Leann Womack's, actually.
    She reminds me of a mix of Leann W. and Dolly.

Re that 3rd & Lindsley stream - the visuals are unfortunately small, with no close ups - but the audio is pretty good.

The opening act, Striking Matches (a male/female duo) were very good - I enjoyed their fast acoustic guitar work and harmonies.

They seem to be geting the stage ready for Ashley now - it's likely to be a complete launch performance of her album

On now - btw, I've found you can get a full screen version of the visuals

Wow - she has Jon Randall singing with her (a Grammy winner - Carrie fans will probably know him best for "Oklahoma Wind". He's also co-written some of Ashley's album))

Angaleena from the Pistol Annies joined her to sing "Weed instead of Roses"

Concert Stars
    Ashley Monroe will be on Leno this Monday, March 11.

Ashley Monroe, of the critically acclaimed trio Pistol Annies, will perform the title track, “Like A Rose,” from her forthcoming March 5th Warner Bros. Records release on NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on March 11.

Ashley Monroe is Headed to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno | Country Music Tattle Tale

There is a version of the "Weed Instead Of Roses" video posted earlier in this thread - but as it comes from CMT, it's blocked to most viewers outside North America. For anyone who couldn't see it, I'd like to repost a YouTube version. The video went for a deliberately "retro" look - a stage performance with no cinematic extras. The performers are trying to recapture something of the Gram Parsons era by wearing Nudie suits.

An additional reason for reposting it is that i'd like to digress to say a few words about Ashley's stage partner, Sarah Zimmerman. Sarah is a huge Dixie Chick fan - probably the artist that I've heard talk most about their influence on her in every interview. She's also opened for the Court Yard Hounds (Martie and Emily's new group). Although Sarah's playing guitar in the video, her main instrument is the mandolin. She accompanies Ashley on most current performances - most recently with Hunter Hayes.

Sarah is also half of a male/female duo called Striking Matches, which they formed after studying together at Belmont (I think they said that students were put randomly in a group to perform - she was the only girl string player, and he was the only boy willing to play with a girl!) They've since had their songs performed by cast members on the hit TV show "Nashville".

News is just developing that a new record label - I.R.S Nashville is being set up, headed by John Grady. The first release will be the last recording of Cowboy Jack Clement, who sadly died this Summer. Striking Matches are scheduled to have their debut album launched at a yet unknown date, but probably the second release of this new label.

The new label will be under the UMG umbrella - but John Grady is best known to some of us for his work at Sony. His time there was linked to the careers of Simon Renshaw's two acts, the Dixie Chicks and Miranda Lambert, and the loss of his position there in the 2006 merger, when he was replaced by Joe Galante, meant that that Chick fans lost the key figure that just might have soothed the mutual tensions surrounding their provocative album release that year. Since then John Grady has concentrated on a management company, but his return as a label head makes me hope that Striking Matches will be off to a strong start.
    gaycarebear likes this.

Ashley is very talented.

"Like A Rose" is the highest-placed pure Country album in Rolling Stone's list of the best albums of 2013 (it's number 18 on the all-genre listing - Rolling Stone is not overly fond of Country Music, lol)

Ashley tweeted "Is this real life? @RollingStone just named #LikeARose the top COUNTRY album of the year!"

(I recall that Ashley had tweeted with equal excitement earlier this year about the success of her ambitious and radically different Pistol Annies project - which had a greater chance of commercial success.
    "It's official!! Pistol Annies sold over 44,000 records our first week!!! I am in shock. I can't take it. Thanks to everyone who believed."
    Sadly, that has since been superseded by the disappointment of that project going into hiatus.
    The solo album is less pitched to the demands of the radio and chart markets - but I know that the critical, songwriter and fan response mean a lot to Ashley, and I'm hoping that reception will go some way tomake up for the disappointment)

If anyone would like to see how Rolling Stone's critical all genre list panned out, the link is here:
    50 Best Albums of 2013: Vampire Weekend, 'Modern Vampires of the City' | Rolling Stone

Fans might like to see this video, made by her home town news station, outlining Ashley's career so far:

HomeGrown
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast