Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Petition: Billboard- Stop Using Multi-Format Airplay to Determine 'Hit' Country Songs

Concert Stars
    signed.

Jason, can we sign more than once if we have several email addresses?

Huge Carrie Follower
    signed.

100 signatures reached on the petition! Thank you for everyone on this board that has signed it!
    myeverythingKU likes this.

Concert Stars
    We need to spread this hard tomorrow.
    gaycarebear likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    signed

Some posters said it's only Carrie fans going crazy over this.....but this new methodology will not only impact the country artists, but also the labels, country songwriters and even country radios as they might lose some of the audiences as well....one thing for sure, since now this topic more impact toward Taylor / Carrie...I am so glad that they both stay behind the scene....but other country artists, songwriters, country radios and any areas that represent Country Genre should voice their opinions...and I hope they do it soon

Honestly Country music is not going to be the one that's hit the hardest, but R&B.

The R&B genre in recent years is known for not having digital singles purchased but albums. And it's not that R&B radio refused to play songs that audience like - For the past few years, only Alicia Keys' "No One", Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" and Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)", "If I Were A Boy" had sold reasonably well. So unless people believe there have only been around one real R&B hit per year the format obviously just works this way. So, authentic R&B songs, and in today's climate, anything that resembles the R&B musical style (Even Alicia Keys' "Girls On Fire" featuring Nicki Minaj is unlikely to hit #1) would not go anywhere near #1 on the new R&B chart.

What does this mean to R&B stars? Two ways to cope with it:

1. To continue releasing R&B music, but flop miserably;
    2. To release generic electro-dance-pop songs the R&B audience does not like. Establish major R&B stars such as Usher and Chris Brown have been rather disappointing albums sales this year despite having successful Pop singles. So artists who choose this way to cope with the new situation will very likely to flop miserably.

And it's way easier for R&B artists to take the switch because they have always been Pop-favored to some extent. Some of the biggest R&B stars, such as Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and Mariah Carey, are known for being big Pop stars. Throw in the fact that major stars like Rihanna, Usher and Brown already have been doing the dual release thingy for years, it makes perfect sense for them to just drop R&B altogether.

Another thing is, R&B radio stations have way weaker voices. Not only is the format smaller, but it's extremely divided - They are divided into a few sub-formats like Urban, Urban AC, Rhythmic, etc. And Rap music has been taken away from R&B. And they really don't have another chart to look at! Mediabase is by no means as established there as they are within the Country music community.

Concert Stars
    I signed this yesterday and shared it on Facebook i also just posted the link for the petition on Miranda's Fanclub.As a country music fan this is a complete travesty i don't have an issue with digital downloads being counted but radio play needs to still be the main driving force for determining #1's.

And the fact that Billboard is trying to incorporate airplay for a country song that is playing on another format is absurd.I can't believe that Billboard thinks this will be accepted by the music industry the country airplay chart distinctly shows that Taylor's single is at #36.

Again thanks for starting this petition from an avid country music fan this is worse than having labels manipulate the charts.

Concert Stars
    There's a country disc jockey on the Guns N' Roses forum I frequent.

I just sent him a message asking to sign the petition. I hope he sees this injustice.
    cassie2 and Cps235 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CALEBJOE View Post
    I signed this yesterday and shared it on Facebook i also just posted the link for the petition on Miranda's Fanclub.As a country music fan this is a complete travesty i don't have an issue with digital downloads being counted but radio play needs to still be the main driving force for determining #1's.

And the fact that Billboard is trying to incorporate airplay for a country song that is playing on another format is absurd.I can't believe that Billboard thinks this will be accepted by the music industry the country airplay chart distinctly shows that Taylor's single is at #36.

Again thanks for starting this petition from an avid country music fan this is worse than having labels manipulate the charts.
    BUt it's ALL digital downloads. That means all the pop downloads for crossover artists count. How can Miranda hope to compete when she never crosses over. If BB determines a song is country, it goes on the Hot Country chart and all downloads and sales count. How else did Red, which was never released as a single and has had no country airplay get to number 2. Rihanna jumped from 61 to 1 on the R&B chart based solely on her pop downloads.

So far, the petition has been posted on the Country Weekly and GAC forums from others noticing it. Let's keep it going!
    Ann055 and PRGuy79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    So far, the petition has been posted on the Country Weekly and GAC forums from others noticing it. Let's keep it going!
    so has taste of country

Fans Start Petition to Reverse Billboard’s New Multi-Format Chart Methodology
    gaycarebear, Ann055 and PRGuy79 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    BUt it's ALL digital downloads. That means all the pop downloads for crossover artists count. How can Miranda hope to compete when she never crosses over. If BB determines a song is country, it goes on the Hot Country chart and all downloads and sales count. How else did Red, which was never released as a single and has had no country airplay get to number 2. Rihanna jumped from 61 to 1 on the R&B chart based solely on her pop downloads.
    I should have clarified if they are going to count digital single sales and if it's remixed for another format than that should not be counted toward this new chart.Either way i can't see how the country music industry will recognize this new chart as Billboard is still using the country airplay chart and shows Taylor's WENEGBT sits currently at #36 makes her jump to #1 fictional at best and not accurate.

Ann055 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower imacubsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I signed it
    gaycarebear likes this.

Signed, but didn't comment yet - I will - I need to completely get over this spell I've had - getting better all the time - I don't want to comment and not make sense - so I will comment on the Petition and to Mr. Werde on his article about this.
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Signed, but didn't comment yet - I will - I need to completely get over this spell I've had - getting better all the time - I don't want to comment and not make sense - so I will comment on the Petition and to Mr. Werde on his article about this.
    Glad to have you back and I am glad you are feeling better all the time!
    Ann055 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Welcome back Anne. Hope you found a better computer this time.
    Ann055 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower myeverythingKU's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    I posted it on Country Weekly, a country chart watching forum I frequent, and Keith Urban's fan club the other day...I will do a bunch more tomorrow!! Looks like people are noticing the petition!!

Quote Originally Posted by myeverythingKU View Post
    I posted it on Country Weekly, a country chart watching forum I frequent, and Keith Urban's fan club the other day...I will do a bunch more tomorrow!! Looks like people are noticing the petition!!
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Concert Stars
    I signed this, too! Thank you for setting this up for us. It feels good to have a constructive way to fight back against this injustice!

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast