Like Tree32Likes
  • 9 Post By gaycarebear
  • 8 Post By Farawayhills
  • 6 Post By DizzyDollyDee
  • 3 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By opry051008
  • 5 Post By cary78663

Thread: Billboard Revises Their Country Songs Chart (and the Country Music Industry Weeps)

Billboard Revises Their Country Songs Chart (and the Country Music Industry Weeps)

So, in light of the new Billboard revamp, I put together a little post. Correct me if I'm wrong in any of my interpretations of the news. I'm sure I'll be revising this as I think more on it.

Billboard Revises Their Country Songs Chart (and the Country Music Industry Weeps) — OPINION | Jason the Gleek

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks, Jason - it's a well argued and timely piece.

From the outset, I should point out that my musical tastes are not chart focused, and I'm not likely to turn to either Billboard or the radio stations to tell me what's "hot" or what's "Country". That probably means I'm not the best person to assess the change. Having admitted that, though, I do have some mixed feelings about the apparent implications.

Firstly, I agree that, if we're going to have a Country chart at all, it shouldn't, logically, include Pop radio play. There's nothing to stop an artist appearing on both Pop and Country charts - but their performance on one chart shouldn't affect their position on the other. Hence, if Billboard are going to aggregate the radio play on, for example, AC stations and the radio play on Country reporting stations, they should label the chart something like "General Music". Having said that, though, I don't think we can expect Billboard to make separate value judgments on which artists are or are not "Country". If the Country industry accept an artist as included in their format, Billboard presumably have to go along with that - our problem in that respect, if we have one, is more with the Country industry itself than with Billboard (who presumably see themselves more as a reporting service, for developments that they don't initiate). So, while I accept that clear cut Pop or AC radio play should not be included, I don't think we can argue that if i-Tunes for example, label a given artist as Country, Billboard should then make a secondary assessment that downloads of the songs in question aren't Country enough to be accepted as Country. That would put them in an impossible position, judging every release by every artist.

That brings me to the second point - should digital sales and internet streaming services be included? Well they do seem to be retaining the more restricted Airplay chart, for those who want to focus primarily on radio - but, in general, I do support the inclusion of the digital era. Those outlets - both paid and ad supported - have become increasingly important (just as terrestrial radio has become less so). To argue that the digital outlets should be ignored would seem to fly in the face of an evolving reality. Also, I don't see what would be gained by ignoring them - Mainstream terrestrial radio has notoriously narrow playlists, and is heavily influenced by major label promotion. It doesn't give me any confidence in its ability to determine what is or isn't listenable Country.

I'd also be wary of letting this debate focus largely on Taylor Swift (or, equally, in the case of Rhythm & Blues fans, on Rihanna). While those artists may seem too Pop focused for genre purists, focusing on them can come across to observers as "sour grapes" on the part of rival fan bases - which does little to help the genuine arguments involved. Again, if we have a problem with their inclusion, it's largely a problem with the industry that promotes and labels them, rather than with Billboard.

Carrie is one of the few Mainstream artists I follow - and although there are many reasons I follow her, her chart position isn't one of them. One possible worry that does occur to me though is that this change, and some of the reaction to it, might put her under more pressure (perhaps from the label, or from management, or from general competitive market considerations, or from perceived fan concerns) to focus more on the general Pop scene herself. So far, I think she's largely resisted that - and it's one more thing that makes me proud of her.
    rainbow1, Ace, gaycarebear and 5 others like this.

Actually, it's not sour grapes when TS is the only artist that largely benefits from the new changes.

Otherwise, I agree with what you had to say

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I sure don't like the Billboard change.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I"m not in the least qualified to make any statement but I'm going to anyway. It just seems like a move to ensure Taylor is at the top no matter what she sings.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    An argument can be made that more traditional "Nashville Sound" artists may have benefited less from the digital revolution, and that their fans rely more on hard copy CDs and on background playing of terrestrial radio. By contrast, it can be argued that younger, especially female, consumers are heavy users of i-tunes and YouTube. (If so, though, that would surely benefit Carrie as well as Taylor). As far as services like Spotify go, my hunch would be that they benefit Alternative fans, and people seeking widely spread playlists, more, and may be less important for most "New Country" fans, who often give heavy attention to one, or a small number of key artists that they already find elsewhere.

Carrie Guru
    Thanks Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Carrie is one of the few Mainstream artists I follow - and although there are many reasons I follow her, her chart position isn't one of them. One possible worry that does occur to me though is that this change, and some of the reaction to it, might put her under more pressure (perhaps from the label, or from management, or from general competitive market considerations, or from perceived fan concerns) to focus more on the general Pop scene herself. So far, I think she's largely resisted that - and it's one more thing that makes me proud of her.
    That worries me too.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Thanks Jason.

That worries me too.

Carrie would either retire or find a label who let her do what she wants to do even if that meant starting her own label before she would sell herself out to become more pop.

Huge Carrie Follower myeverythingKU's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    WOW is all I have to say. This sounds horrible.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Carrie would either retire or find a label who let her do what she wants to do even if that meant starting her own label before she would sell herself out to become more pop.
    I don't doubt that, I just hope she isn't forced to make that decision.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Thanks Jason.

That worries me too.
    I would not worry about that happening. The label and her management would not make that demand just to get a #1 on a chart. As with any business, they are looking at how much money they can make. So if they were going make that demand, they would have done so long before this.

Given that Carrie was strong enough to fight the remix of BHC at the very start of her career, she is not going to give in now as a 7 year veteran.

Concert Stars
    Also, think of how this will affect the songwriters in the country community. So many fewer #1's for them, especially since Swift writes so much by herself.

•