Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Ronnie Dunn/Sony split

  1. #1
    Huge Carrie Follower CALEBJOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    541
    Concert Stars

    Ronnie Dunn/Sony split

    I was just on Facebook and seen this statement posted by Ronnie Dunn about Sony some interesting things he mentioned like Sony is basicly broke and that more artists will be leaving Sony.

    Ronnie Dunn


    re: rant....after the "it's a marathon not a sprint" speech...Sony pulled off the cd after LET THE COWBOY ROCK was released. I guess the "marathon" ended there ? There was bad blood with Sony. Labels can't afford artists with strong contracts. Alan Jackson left, I left and there will be others...watch. I understand and actually, empathize with there position. They're basically, broke. I'm excited to have the chance to explore new label options. Independent or established....doesn't matter to me. It's all about radio promotion these days. More importantly, it's ALL about YOU the fans. Stay with me. RD

    opry051008 likes this.

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Wow, Ronnie does not know the difference between "there" and "their"...Tut tut.
    Cps235 and Hil like this.

  • #3
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    Wow - that sounds pretty dire - there are alot of great artists still on their roster -did Kenny leave , i don't remember - thanks for posting this - being broke does that mean they can't do promotion for the artist? Carrie has had pretty good promo so far but maybe it's the quality of the album that's making the difference

  • #4
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Wow, Ronnie does not know the difference between "there" and "their"...Tut tut.
    LOL. That was the first thing I picked up too.
    carebear4eva likes this.

  • #5
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,441
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    Wow - that sounds pretty dire - there are alot of great artists still on their roster -did Kenny leave , i don't remember - thanks for posting this - being broke does that mean they can't do promotion for the artist? Carrie has had pretty good promo so far but maybe it's the quality of the album that's making the difference
    What if Carrie leaves and then signs with Big Machine?

    LOL, I don't know what will happen here on CF. Just the thought alone scares me

  • #6
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    IMO Ronnie sounds bitter because he didn't get the promotion that he wanted to get, Sony not having any $$$$ isn't a secret, they have been and will continue to pay the people that they want to pay and promote the people who are making them money, now not everyone they have on their roster will stay because they will think that they deserve more $$$$ or more promotion than what Sony is paying or giving them which is what they should do.

    But what Ronnie Dunn needs to realize is that he is on the back side of his career and he isn't going to get the promotion that younger artist who are making Sony $$$$ are going to get.
    Last edited by JB172; 10-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.

  • #7
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    ^^ good points - I was thinking that going from being in a star duo that sold and won awards is different from starting a solo career- I suppose it will take some sinking in for Ronnie to realize he's starting out from halfway to stardom -
    JB172 likes this.

  • #8
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,167
    Concert Stars
    Seems to me to be another instance of a band breaking up & the soloo members having a rough go of it. By the way, his singles all sucked!
    Hil and JB172 like this.

  • #9
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    24,230
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    Wow - that sounds pretty dire - there are alot of great artists still on their roster -did Kenny leave , i don't remember - thanks for posting this - being broke does that mean they can't do promotion for the artist? Carrie has had pretty good promo so far but maybe it's the quality of the album that's making the difference
    Here is the full Sony Nashville artist roster. Obviously the artists at the top will get most of the promotion dollars.

    Carrie Underwood
    Brad Paisley
    Kenny Chesney
    Miranda Lambert
    Pistol Annies
    Jake Owen
    Chris Young
    Jerrod Niemann
    Sara Evans
    Kix Brooks
    Love and Theft
    Kristen Kelly
    Brent Anderson
    Casey James
    Bush Hawg
    Joanna Smith
    The Henningsens
    Tyler Farr
    Wade Bowen
    opry051008 likes this.

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Zman312's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,072
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    Here is the full Sony Nashville artist roster. Obviously the artists at the top will get most of the promotion dollars.

    Carrie Underwood
    Brad Paisley
    Kenny Chesney
    Miranda Lambert
    Pistol Annies
    Jake Owen
    Chris Young
    Jerrod Niemann
    Sara Evans
    Kix Brooks
    Love and Theft
    Kristen Kelly
    Brent Anderson
    Casey James
    Bush Hawg
    Joanna Smith
    The Henningsens
    Tyler Farr
    Wade Bowen

    I believe Kenny just resigned his contract with Sony and Kenny is a BIG money maker for Sony (mainly with his concerts). I see Jerrod Nieman being dropped pretty soon,

    Wow, I don't know half of these people on that list. I say Sony needs to PUT ALL THEIR EGGS ON ONE BASKET...CARRIE UNDERWOOD!! (just kidding! It's makes more sense to spread the love because the bottom can fall out any time. I am actually scared that Carrie will take a long break after this album to start a family. I would be happy for her but will desperately miss her thou.)

    I have to say I liek this Kacey M girl, her songs are rootsy.

  • #11
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    It's unfortunate that things didn't work out at Sony for Ronnie. He is a very talented man, and there was some great material there (namely Cost on Livin'). However, I think Ronnie's biggest problem is that he assumed that he would still be a big star without the Brooks & Dunn name attached. Sadly, he nor Kix seem to be having a lot of luck solo. People clearly preferred what they did as a duo.
    As for Sony being broke, all labels are struggling due to the state of the music industry. Sony makes it more clear everyday who they are willing to put all their money into and who they aren't. They have a few artists that they know make them the cash, so they give them the good stuff in terms of promo, and leave others with scraps. They don't even give most of their artists a fair chance to make them any money because the product isn't properly promoted.
    There is a reason that many artists are also choosing to develop their own labels, and only relying on ties with bigger labels for certain things. It's all about control. Artists want creative control, and want to know that their art will be respected and treated properly. Sadly, big labels could care less about the integrity of the artist. They are all about money.
    I wonder if over time we are going to see smaller labels start to grow their rosters because artists will see them as a better option than the larger labels like Sony and Universal. Kellie Pickler signing to Black River is a great example. Kellie was treated horribly by Sony this album era, and as soon as she was legally able, she signed to a smaller label that does honor an artist's integrity.

  • #12
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    24,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    I believe Kenny just resigned his contract with Sony and Kenny is a BIG money maker for Sony (mainly with his concerts). I see Jerrod Nieman being dropped pretty soon,

    Wow, I don't know half of these people on that list. I say Sony needs to PUT ALL THEIR EGGS ON ONE BASKET...CARRIE UNDERWOOD!! (just kidding! It's makes more sense to spread the love because the bottom can fall out any time. I am actually scared that Carrie will take a long break after this album to start a family. I would be happy for her but will desperately miss her thou.)

    I have to say I liek this Kacey M girl, her songs are rootsy.
    I have seen nothing about Kenny making a label change. Do you have a link?

  • #13
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    I have seen nothing about Kenny making a label change. Do you have a link?
    Z-Man didn't say that Kenny made a label change, he was referring to this.


    Kenny Chesney Resigns With Record Label New Country 105.1 FM – KNCI-FM Sacramento

  • #14
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    It's unfortunate that things didn't work out at Sony for Ronnie. He is a very talented man, and there was some great material there (namely Cost on Livin'). However, I think Ronnie's biggest problem is that he assumed that he would still be a big star without the Brooks & Dunn name attached. Sadly, he nor Kix seem to be having a lot of luck solo. People clearly preferred what they did as a duo.
    As for Sony being broke, all labels are struggling due to the state of the music industry. Sony makes it more clear everyday who they are willing to put all their money into and who they aren't. They have a few artists that they know make them the cash, so they give them the good stuff in terms of promo, and leave others with scraps. They don't even give most of their artists a fair chance to make them any money because the product isn't properly promoted.
    There is a reason that many artists are also choosing to develop their own labels, and only relying on ties with bigger labels for certain things. It's all about control. Artists want creative control, and want to know that their art will be respected and treated properly. Sadly, big labels could care less about the integrity of the artist. They are all about money.
    I wonder if over time we are going to see smaller labels start to grow their rosters because artists will see them as a better option than the larger labels like Sony and Universal. Kellie Pickler signing to Black River is a great example. Kellie was treated horribly by Sony this album era, and as soon as she was legally able, she signed to a smaller label that does honor an artist's integrity.
    Sony along with all other labels across any genre of music have signed to many aritsts and now a lot of them are paying for it.

    Now a days you are lucky to get the chance to make a second album and I don't see that changing anytime soon, as for Kellie her being on the same label as two of the Big 3, sure didn't help her trying to get promotion, but honestly if I was Sony I would have done the same thing.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

  • #15
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Sony along with all other labels across any genre of music have signed to many aritsts and now a lot of them are paying for it.

    Now a days you are lucky to get the chance to make a second album and I don't see that changing anytime soon, as for Kellie her being on the same label as two of the Big 3, sure didn't help her trying to get promotion, but honestly if I was Sony I would have done the same thing.
    I don't know if it was the fact that Kellie was on a label with Miranda and Carrie that was the problem, or the fact that she was signed to the division of Sony that seems to be capable of only adequately promoting Kenny lol.
    I think the Sony/Kellie split was likely mutual. She clearly wasn't happy there creatively, and they clearly weren't happy because she wasn't making them enough money. I'd say her contract only required she give them 3 albums, and when that ended both parties decided that things weren't working out. Kellie doesn't seem the slightest bit upset that she is done with Sony lol.

  • #16
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I don't know if it was the fact that Kellie was on a label with Miranda and Carrie that was the problem, or the fact that she was signed to the division of Sony that seems to be capable of only adequately promoting Kenny lol.
    I think the Sony/Kellie split was likely mutual. She clearly wasn't happy there creatively, and they clearly weren't happy because she wasn't making them enough money. I'd say her contract only required she give them 3 albums, and when that ended both parties decided that things weren't working out. Kellie doesn't seem the slightest bit upset that she is done with Sony lol.
    The Kellie/Sony split was best for both parties, Kellie can go someplace where she will get better promotion and Sony gets to take $$$$ off the books.

    I wonder how Chris Young would do at another label, IMO he is very good but he will never get the promo he deserves with Brad & Kenny on the roster, I can see Chris leaving the first chance that he gets.

  • #17
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    The Kellie/Sony split was best for both parties, Kellie can go someplace where she will get better promotion and Sony gets to take $$$$ off the books.

    I wonder how Chris Young would do at another label, IMO he is very good but he will never get the promo he deserves with Brad & Kenny on the roster, I can see Chris leaving the first chance that he gets.
    Sony seemed to be doing right by Chris for a while, but now it appears they've let his promo slide in a big way. They didn't seem to push his last single very hard at all. They have released another single from "Neon" just recently. Hopefully, they can promote that one a bit more because Chris is a great artist and he could bring them in lots of money if they let the audience get to know him a bit more.

  • #18
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Raleigh , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,692
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Sony seemed to be doing right by Chris for a while, but now it appears they've let his promo slide in a big way. They didn't seem to push his last single very hard at all. They have released another single from "Neon" just recently. Hopefully, they can promote that one a bit more because Chris is a great artist and he could bring them in lots of money if they let the audience get to know him a bit more.
    I heard the new single yesterday on Sirus XM The Highway and I like it. Hopefully this will do well for him.

    Also, with regards to Ronnie Dunn I wish that Brooks and Dunn never split. I just don't see Ronnie Dunn or Kix Brooks having a great solo career. That's just my opinion but I think they should have stayed together as a Duo.
    Marie2011 likes this.

  • #19
    Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    24,230
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Z-Man didn't say that Kenny made a label change, he was referring to this.


    Kenny Chesney Resigns With Record Label New Country 105.1 FM KNCI-FM Sacramento
    "Resigns" has 2 very different meanings. Since we were talking about someone leaving the label, I picked the wrong meaning.

  • #20
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    It's unfortunate that things didn't work out at Sony for Ronnie. He is a very talented man, and there was some great material there (namely Cost on Livin'). However, I think Ronnie's biggest problem is that he assumed that he would still be a big star without the Brooks & Dunn name attached. Sadly, he nor Kix seem to be having a lot of luck solo. People clearly preferred what they did as a duo.
    Sad to hear Ronnie hasn't fared well as a solo artist-it's certainly not from lack of talent as he is one of the top male vocalists and has released pretty good songs; I'm also betting that Kix would do about the same. At first, I thought they broke up because they both wanted to retire, but end on a high note. However, it seems both of them still want to have a career but I often wonder why such a successful duo as this one would separate then when it's clear that the magic was the 2 of them. What's the point?

    ETA: Looks like Ronnie isn't too happy about the recent changes of country radio due to massive politicking and backdoor deals. From Ronnie's facebook status:
    "I'm as proud of this song as any that I've EVER been in the room with and I've had the privilege
    to be in the room with some good ones !!!
    I seriously, can't believe that this is true.
    Radio screamed for COST OF LIVING when they first heard it.
    We had a meeting at SOny and decided to stop pushing Bleed Red to go with Cost Of Livin' because of the demand for Cost Of Living from so many program directors, etc.
    Then, ONE major conglomerate programmer refused to play it and killed it in one fell swoop.
    The "street chatter" is that there is movement to have his entire group of stations taken off the radio / chart panel, not just for not playing that song but because this is one of many like kind stories going around about the guy.

    ONE man ! ONE guy killed it !
    I'd say it if I wasn't a part of it...I sound like I'm stroking my ego... I'm not.
    It broke my heart...made me wanna quit trying to reach for songs that have a real message. Nashville (me / anyone) can write and record bland, three minute sonic wall paper all day, every day ....but, songs like this don't walk up and knock on your door every day.

    Ya know what's choked the heart and soul out of America...BIG business !!

    I just said too WAY much...

    THANK YOU THANK YOU (whoever) FOR FIGHTING FOR COST OF LIVIN' !!


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
    2. NASHVILLE SKYLINE: Ronnie Dunn Begins Anew
      By Naco1776 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
    3. Miranda Lambert, Ronnie Dunn Announcing ACM Noms on February 1st!
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 89
      Last Post: 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •