• 2 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By Marie2011
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 3 Post By Pi314CA

Thread: CMA Nominations (other artists)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

CMA Nominations (other artists)

I'm starting this separate thread because I feel some of the nominations are interesting in their own right. (This is with some trepidation, as quite a few fans are saying they've turned away from the whole process in disgust). I can understand that feeling, but I still think the nominees can't really be blamed for the situation - and some of them did raise points of interest (at least for me). Please join in with your thoughts if you think the non-Carrie nominations are worth discussing.

The inclusion of Snoop Dogg, doesn't seem at all out of place to me. He's not the primary recording artist - he's being nominated with Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Jamey Johnson (and Willie takes the biggest part.) Are people really saying those very solid Country names shouldn't get a nomination, simply because he's joining them?
    In my opinion, Snoop Dogg really enters into the spirit of the song, and sings it in a down-home rootsy way. And that music is a pretty good illustration of what we call the "Twang factor".
    I'm a little surprised (but delighted) that it got a Mainstream nomination and I hope it wins!

I'm also pleased to see Will Hoge get recognition for Song of the Year. I believe he was in a serious road accident, with a long fight back, and there's probably an autobiographical element in "Even if it Breaks Your Heart". Although the song, for me, doesn't have quite the impact of the exquisite "When I Get My Wings", it's still very deserving, and that would be my choice.

I always like to see Sam Bush get a nomination for Musician of the Year. His work in New Grass Revival was such a landmark in setting a standard for the exciting mix of authenticity and progression that I admire, and his performance with Emmylou Harris on "Walls of Time" was one on my short list of all time greats.

I'd like to see the Civil Wars win the Duo category - but the Group category gives me more of a dilemma, between Little Big Town and the Band Perry. I've long admired LBT, and wanted them to get more recognition - but "Pontoon" is just not my cup of tea, Lol

For album of the Year, I would have loved to have seen the one we're all missing - but as it's not there, I'm going for "Four the Record", which I think contains some real gems.

As a parting note, I see "Home" is getting a lot of love. What gives me pause for thought is that it's faced accusations of copying much of its structure from Jason Isbell's earlier "In a Razor Town". Both artists swore at each other in the Twitter row that ensued - but as I think it's usually impossible to determine the truth of such similarities, I'll just say that they're both great songs! "Home" was inspired by the assassination attempt on Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, and is basically a plea for us to rise above our differences and come together, even though nothing's perfect. It's a good sentiment, and it's encouraging to see it get votes.
    cole and gaycarebear like this.

Home by Dierks Bentley for single and song of the year.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Concert Stars
    I just always enjoy reading your posts. its like, wow...the amount of info you know! I havent seen the other noms, so i cant contribute yet, lol.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan countrymama22's Avatar
    I am so excited for LBT and would be so happy to see them pick up an award. Pontoon was the song of the summer. What a week they are having. First #1 and multiple nominations. Awesome to see. So, for EOTY I am pulling for Brad or Kenny. Male it would nice to see Keith win. For Female well that is obvious. Album...grrrr.... I know who I want to win, but I am rooting for Dierks. Group- LBT, Song of the year- Over You (special song for me), single- Pontoon, musical event- Dixie highway, video- Pontoon (love the Carrie plug in the video), duo- Thompson Square (not sure why MG wasn't in the running but Big and Rich were), and New artist- Hunter Hayes.

EOTY
    Who I want to win; Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley
    Who I think is going to win; Taylor Swift
    MVOTY
    Who I want to win; Keith Urban, or Luke Bryan:
    Who I think is going to win: Blake Shelton
    FVOTY
    Who I want to win: Carrie Underwood
    Who I think is going to win: Miranda Lambert
    New Artist of the year
    Who I want to win: Hunter Hayes
    Who I think is going to win: Thompson Square
    Vocal Group of the year
    Who I want to win: LBT or the Band Perry
    Who I think is going to win: Lady A
    Vocal Duo of the year
    Who I want to win Sugarland
    Who I think is going to win: Civil Wars
    Single and Song of the year
    Who I want to win: Home by Dierks Bentley
    Who I think is going to win: Springsteen by Eric Church for Single; and Over you by miranda lambert for song
    Album of the year
    Who I want to win: BA by Carrie Underwood (yeah i know it didn't get a nomination, but to ME it is the album of the year; even though the cma voters don't realize it
    Who I think is going to win: Own the night by Lady A; or FTR by ML
    Musical Event of the year
    Who I want to win: RM by BP & CU (this didn't get a nom but it is 10000000000000k times better than the songs that did get nominated)
    Who I think is going to win: SWSRN and the civil war for safe and sound
    Music Video of the year
    Who I want to win: Kenny Chesney for Come over
    Who I think is going to win: Toby Keith for Red solo cup; or ML for Over you

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I don't really care for his music or him, but I think that Eric Church could have a very big night.
    Claire2004 and Gator like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I don't really care for his music or him, but I think that Eric Church could have a very big night.
    I have to agree. He is the hottest thing on radio these days and I would be surprised if he did not get some love for Springstein. I truly hope that Kenny Chesney gets EOTY. I think LBT is in a real good spot and and hsppy for them. So bitter this year but kind of feel for KU as he is another artist that no matter what he does, he just sets there like a gentleman and smiles. He doesn't ever get recognition either. I think it seems to be all about the new acts and while it is good to encourage them, we need to keep the veterans around. Look how many years George Jones went without even a nod. That being said, good for Willie Nelson and anyone he gets to perfirm with him. He is always the outlaw and always interesting. I guess now we knowwhy we never gear from some of my favorites....Mary Chapin Carpenter, Patty Loveless, Pam Tillis, vince Gill, Tracy Byrd, Darryl Worely. You only hear the top few they are pushing and the rest fade away or go elsewhere. Can not say I blame them. Never getting involved in caring for the awards again. The ones that are deserving is great for their careers and confidence, but knowing it is all power plays is reason enough fir me to stay away. It is not genuine. I would not watch a race or game that was fixed and kind of feel that way about CMA awards. At least fan based awards, we can attempt to show the public what we care about.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    EOTY
    Who I want to win; Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley
    Who I think is going to win; Taylor Swift
    MVOTY
    Who I want to win; Keith Urban, or Luke Bryan:
    Who I think is going to win: Blake Shelton
    FVOTY
    Who I want to win: Carrie Underwood
    Who I think is going to win: Miranda Lambert
    New Artist of the year
    Who I want to win: Hunter Hayes
    Who I think is going to win: Thompson Square
    Vocal Group of the year
    Who I want to win: LBT or the Band Perry
    Who I think is going to win: Lady A
    Vocal Duo of the year
    Who I want to win Sugarland
    Who I think is going to win: Civil Wars
    Single and Song of the year
    Who I want to win: Home by Dierks Bentley
    Who I think is going to win: Springsteen by Eric Church for Single; and Over you by miranda lambert for song
    Album of the year
    Who I want to win: BA by Carrie Underwood (yeah i know it didn't get a nomination, but to ME it is the album of the year; even though the cma voters don't realize it
    Who I think is going to win: Own the night by Lady A; or FTR by ML
    Musical Event of the year
    Who I want to win: RM by BP & CU (this didn't get a nom but it is 10000000000000k times better than the songs that did get nominated)
    Who I think is going to win: SWSRN and the civil war for safe and sound
    Music Video of the year
    Who I want to win: Kenny Chesney for Come over
    Who I think is going to win: Toby Keith for Red solo cup; or ML for Over you
    So none of your favorites are going to win. That must be depressing, .

Agree, JB. I actually think Eric Church has a good chance of pulling a surprise win on the album, song/single categories. I don't like his attitude lol, but there's no denying that his album and his singles have made a huge impact.

JB, do you think his Rolling Stone comment about Blake Shelton and reality shows will have a negative impact on his chances of winning? I hope not.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Agree, JB. I actually think Eric Church has a good chance of pulling a surprise win on the album, song/single categories. I don't like his attitude lol, but there's no denying that his album and his singles have made a huge impact.

JB, do you think his Rolling Stone comment about Blake Shelton and reality shows will have a negative impact on his chances of winning? I hope not.
    I think that the Rolling Stone comments would have little or no effect on the voters.
    Claire2004 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Lady a is such a worn out record...its almost like, alright come up here and get the darn group award and get the speech out the way.

Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    So none of your favorites are going to win. That must be depressing, .
    nah i only watch because of the hosts the cma awards don't mean much to me anymore, it use to when it was more about the music, but now it seems to be mostly about the money.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Yeah, I gotta admit it is hard to post here without all my "ickiness" coming out.
    Even the fact that Pontoon (and I am so happy that LBT is finally getting some love) is such a new song and is getting all this award attention when BA is practically as new.
    And I am not sure I do understand the poor reception for GG. Yes it is standard Carrie. But I guess I am alone in thinling that it is a really well crafted well excecuted single. Sung amazingly, but also played amazingly as well. And with its success as the lead single of an album that shot straight to the top in the entire country during it chart run, it seems an odd choice to completely ignore.
    But ok, sorry about that. I knew this would be hard.
    I think the night will feel like this:
    Taylor
    Blake
    Miranda
    Springsteen
    LBT
    (Snoop will be there ((possibly to perform w/ a gratuitous standing o))
    (Kelly will be there and perform as well)

Oh! and Carrie and Brad will do their usual amazing job and probably steal the show again.
    (They just can't help themselves)
    bearball49 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I agree with Marie - I just enjoy watching Carrie and Brad some of the performances - the wins will be pretty much the same

The winners will be Miranda, Blake, Lady A, Jason, Taylor, and Luke Don't know if any other voters can make it around the voting block but more power to them if they can - would like to see LBT get the win, Dierks doesn't have a chance

So, by the sounds of things, Kelly is going to release a Country album next.

A fan tweeted from the Nashville concert tonight:

RT @Dustin2008: "I haven't earned my CMA Nomination yet... But I promise y'all I will!" - @Kelly_Clarkson

Well, there you go.

Concert Stars
    I agree. I'd really like to see Eric take AOTY.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I'm rooting for Luke to win AOTY. His album has had lots of big hits and continues to sell well after one year. I really hope Miranda does not win AOTY as her album's sales and hits do not make FTR deserving.

For EOTY, I'm rooting for Jason. Both Blake and Taylor don't deserve it based on record sales, concert sales, chart success, etc.
    Gator, gaycarebear and bearball49 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^Other than Eric, I wouldn't mind Luke winning AOTY. Agree with EOTY, with addition of KC.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    I'm rooting for Luke to win AOTY. His album has had lots of big hits and continues to sell well after one year. I really hope Miranda does not win AOTY as her album's sales and hits do not make FTR deserving.

For EOTY, I'm rooting for Jason. Both Blake and Taylor don't deserve it based on record sales, concert sales, chart success, etc.
    The CMA AOTY isn't about who sold the most or which album had the most hits. The CMAs have been far more likely to reward quality over quanity in the past for AOTY. Miranda's album is of higher quality than Luke's, IMO. Luke made an album that was meant to produce hit after hit. It's all very safe. Miranda took some risks and created a diverse album.

I'm right there with you on Taylor not deserving EOTY this year. Lady A deserved her spot. However, how does Blake not deserve EOTY based on chart success lol? Every single one of his singles this year were multi-week number ones. I do think Jason is the top choice for EOTY because of his singles doing well, his tour selling exceptionally well, and his album selling like hotcakes. Plus, they could have easily awarded him last year, and didn't. However, if there was ever a year that Blake deserved an EOTY nomination and possible win, it is this year. I don't understand why people (and not just on here) keep counting Blake out. Apparently, he hasn't jumped through enough hoops for people yet lol. Maybe the public will think he is fit to award after he works hard for another decade in the industry .

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    So, by the sounds of things, Kelly is going to release a Country album next.

A fan tweeted from the Nashville concert tonight:

RT @Dustin2008: "I haven't earned my CMA Nomination yet... But I promise y'all I will!" - @Kelly_Clarkson

Well, there you go.
    Jason, how did you get that Kelly is going to release a full country album next out of that comment lol? Saying she'll earn it means that she doesn't think she has earned it, so she feels as though she needs to work harder to impress the country audience. She said in an interview last week that she will continue to send the occasional song to country, not release a whole album.

•