Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Exclusive: Nicki Minaj Joins Mariah Carey as New American Idol Judge

Concert Stars

Exclusive: Nicki Minaj Joins Mariah Carey as New American Idol Judge

Singer Nicki Minaj on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" during an interview on July 13, 2012. Credit: Paul Drinkwater/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank
    Nicki Minaj -- and her multiple personas -- will be joining Mariah Carey at the judges' table on American Idol, two sources confirm to Us Weekly exclusively.
    "I'm not sure the deal is completely done yet, but yes, she is definitely doing it," one insider reveals. "A few more slight things to sign off on but it is happening."
    A second source says the "Super Bass" rapper, 29, is "100% confirmed to judge American Idol." Reps for FOX and Minaj had no comment when contacted by Us.
    PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj's craziest hairstyles
    Minaj -- born Onika Tanya Maraj -- toured North America with Britney Spears throughout 2011; she will embark on her own world tour beginning October 21 in Nottingham, England. The rapper's latest album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, debuted at No. 1 in April 2012 and spawned two Top 10 singles, "Starships" and "Pound the Alarm."
    On July 23, five-time Grammy Award winner Mariah Carey confirmed she will appear as a judge on American Idol next season. "As a singer, songwriter and producer, it's going to be fun and rewarding to help find new talent and give back with American Idol," the singer said in a statement. "I can't wait to channel my creative energy as a part of this show which is a massive global phenomenon."
    VIDEO: Would you rock a "backwards mullet" like Nicki Minaj?
    As Us exclusively reported in late July, Nick Jonas, 19, is also in the running to fill one of the vacant seats at the judges' table. (Randy Jackson, 56, is being moved into a "mentoring role," according to a source.)
    The "Who I Am" singer later confirmed the news via Twitter. "I am being considered to be a judge on American Idol," Jonas wrote. "And it would be a dream come true if it happens." N.E.R.D. rapper Pharrell Williams, 39, is also being considered, according to insiders.
    PHOTOS: American Idol judges, then and now
    Previous American Idol judges include Simon Cowell, 52, Paula Abdul, 50, Jennifer Lopez, 43, Steven Tyler, 64, Kara DioGuardi, 41, and Ellen DeGeneres, 54. Host Ryan Seacrest, 37, is slated to return for Season 12, premiering this winter.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This makes me think that they are going to go back to having four judges.

boooo note the only reason why am saying booo is because i was looking forward for a country artist to be a judge, now that isn't going to happen unless they are having 4 judges which i think they should just stick with 3.

Concert Stars
    I was hoping for someone like Brad Paisley, but oh well.
    Cps235 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    makes me think I won't be watching American Idol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Not overly excited about Nicki Minaj being a judge or Mirah Carey either. I guess Nicki could be an interesting judge. I have to say I sure hope they don't have 4 judges. I think that takes way too much time and it didn't seem to work when they did it before. I will obviously watch intially to see how these judges do and it would be nice if they also had a country artist as a judge.

Concert Stars
    This sounds dreadful.
    I refuse to watch AGT cause it feels like a circus.
    If this starts to feel like a circus, I simply will not watch.
    And that will be after 7 years of watching religiously.
    Pretty sad.
    red40 and Cathie Wynkoop like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The ultimate example of hype over substance. I cannot stand Nicki or her music. Ugh. Bye bye Idol.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA. GO NICKI.

Finally, the producers get someone who is actually current in music and not someone who needs their career revived.

Nicki amuses me, although her music isn't my cup of tea (seeing as my cup is filled with tea, not fecal matter).

Nicki and Mariah? Can't wait. This is gonna be entertaining as hell.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yeah I thought was going to be the judge oh well we'll see when the season starts again next January

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcomlvr87 View Post
    Nicki and Mariah? Can't wait. This is gonna be entertaining as hell.
    It sure will be interesting and I can't wait to see what two males that they add to go with them, I don't see there only being one male judge.

I really hope that the Pharrell rumors are true, I think he would be really good.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Interesting...

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    So much for the Brad Paisley talks. Must be they figured because he is a country artist, they did not need to offer him much. Good for Brad if he spit a crummy offer back in their faces. I have already heard rumers of what a diva Mariah is on set......there would not be enough money ever to put up with her crap. Wish them well but I did not watch once last year (other than Carrie's BA performance), I think idol wore itself out and if this is not the last year, it should be. Without Simon, tgere is no idol.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Nicki amuses me, although her music isn't my cup of tea (seeing as my cup is filled with tea, not fecal matter).
    Hey now. She does have some good songs. See her song called "Marilyn Monroe." So freaking good

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    makes me think I won't be watching American Idol
    I'm with you - I've always been loyal to AI, but don't think I'm interested, at least in these 2 as judges. Guess I'll see - I'll give it a try but doesn't sound promising for me unless Carrie is on, of course (and I did watch prior to Carrie being on the show ). JMHO

i'm going to watch the auditions for idol and if there are any constants that stand out (in a good way then i'll watch after all imo the show should be about the conestants and not the judges, and plus the new judges might be good, i won't know for sure unless i watch.

Concert Stars
    This pretty well confirms that I won't be watching Idol, lmao.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    My first reaction was "eww...no". However, after thinking about it, this might work out.
    Nicki is currently relevant in pop culture, she's not afraid to speak her mind, and she will (hopefully) bring in a new audience for Idol. On the downside, she's not the greatest singer and is actually more well-known for her rap skills. I'm not sure how that will play out while judging a competition show that focuses solely on singers. If Idol allows rappers this year, I might flip my lid lol. I won't be happy.
    I agree with those that seem to think this indicates a four judge panel. I can't see the producers letting there be two female judges and only one male. I still think we should expect to see a male country artist announced as a judge (both Brad and Keith have been mentioned in recent weeks). I think the fourth judge will be Randy. He hasn't confirmed anything, so I can only assume he is sticking around. However, I hope he sticks around as a mentor, and Pharrell takes his judging place.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast