Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Luke Bryan wants to explain his All-Star Game performance...

Luke Bryan wants to explain his All-Star Game performance...

Luke Bryan wants to explain his All-Star Game performance...

Aside from “Happy Birthday” - and, let’s face it, Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me, Maybe" - “The Star-Spangled Banner” is one of the nation’s most familiar tunes. Yet singers have long scribbled the lyrics on their palms, and it seems Luke Bryan has followed suit.

The country singer appeared to glance at his hand while singing the national anthem at Tuesday night’s All-Star Game. And some media outlets and YouTube videos caught on.

"Morning everyone. I really wanna explain the national anthem performance from last night," Bryan tweeted on Wednesday. "I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn't mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart. If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest."

What do you think? Was Bryan's cheat sheet OK? Or would he have been better off winging it, and possibly joining the ranks of Cyndi Lauper, Christina Aguileraand the many other singers who’ve flubbed the national anthem?
    Luke Bryan wants to explain his All-Star Game performance… – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Oh Lord. With all the mess ups we've had recently, I want to hear the singer get it right, period. It's easy for us to sit here and call someone out for forgetting the words to a song we all know by heart.........but none of us have ever had to sing it on a major stage with millions of people watching. If I tried it I guarantee I'd screw up the 3rd word of the song.

What I cared about in his whole performance is that he actually sounded good singing it.

Carrie Guru
    He obviously knows the words, I don't think any of us can judge the amount of pressure these singers feel when singing the NA. At least he cared enough to write a few words on his hand in an attempt not to screw it up.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I noticed that last night when it happened and didn't think anything of it, not that big of a deal.

Idk. Personally, if you are going to accept an opportunity to sing it, you should know the words. As many people who have flubbed the words, there are a million more who haven't.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    Idk. Personally, if you are going to accept an opportunity to sing it, you should know the words. As many people who have flubbed the words, there are a million more who haven't.
    these people who are flubbing the words know the song though. Christina flubbed the super bowl but there are a million performances where she got it right. flubbing the words is just nerves plain and simple.
    Becca
    supercarriefan likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    He sang it great!!

Carrie Guru
    In my opinion, it is better to have a cheat sheet but sing the National Anthem correctly and nicely done!

EDIT: in some countries, you can be in jail if you do not sing the National Anthem Correctly on LIVE TV !

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    The biggest crime was that it was soooo booooring..
    Mirasa45A and robinannhunt like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It's not like he stared at his hand the whole time lol. Other than it being a little slow, he did a solid job. He sang it with respect, and didn't try to showboat.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I haven't watched the performance, as I don't feel it's necessary. Luke is a great singer (imo, a better singer than many give him credit for), and I've heard the song sung almost every day of my life so hearing how well someone has sang it no longer interests me. As for the hand notes, I have no problem with it. The only people that have the right to have an opinion on the matter is that of the singers who have had to perform the song in front of millions before. Sure, everyone knows the words to the national anthem. however, I don't know about you guys, but I get incredibly nervous when I have to talk in front of a small group of people, much less hundreds of people sitting in the stands of a baseball park as well as millions watching in front of their TV sets. Scribbling a few notes on your hands so that you don't make yourself look like a fool in front of millions is perfectly fine in my book. No harm, no foul here
    supercarriefan and liz278 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    When I heard about this, I was prepared to see Luke forget the words or make it obvious he was looking at something. But he obviously knows the words. It seemed to me he did it just in case he was overcome at anytime. He did seem nervous, but he did well and got through it without any problems. I can definately understand the other side of the issue, though. But we've seen time and time again what pressure can do to performers, as well. It's easy to say what we would've done, having just been viewers sitting at home in the comfort of our living rooms.

Concert Stars
    Ok, I finally watched it and screw paying attention to his hand. I was too busy staring at his beautiful face.
    Becca

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    LMBO! If only he was on the market, huh Becca?

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Ok, I finally watched it and screw paying attention to his hand. I was too busy staring at his beautiful face.
    Becca
    I second this . The man is beautiful! I always look forward to his performances at events because even if I don't like song, I do enjoy his hip shaking and handsome face lol.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by dsfox2009 View Post
    LMBO! If only he was on the market, huh Becca?
    and it kills me because I knew him when he was in college. granted, I was a minor but I missed my opportunity!!! haha
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I second this . The man is beautiful! I always look forward to his performances at events because even if I don't like song, I do enjoy his hip shaking and handsome face lol.
    his acceptance speech at the CMT awards made me so excited bc I thought he was gonna take his shirt off LOL
    Becca

Concert Stars
    I think he obviously knew the words but just wanted to be careful in case he got stage fright and forgot. I don't see much harm in it. It's clear was nervous.

I admit I only know the American anthem because I've watched Carrie's performance a million times. Thanks to that, I could probably sing it at a ball's drop with no flaws.

HOWEVER, if you tell me a that million people are looking at me, I bet I'd choke. Not defending Luke, just saying what I think.

TBQH, I find the idea of "singers" performing the anthem to be a little funny. It's just a completely foreign concept to me...I've lived in a few countries in my life, and the anthem is always a standard procedure - of standard length to set music. I actually wouldn't like the idea of dolled-up divas in jazzy costumes singing the Indian national anthem like it were a pop song. JMO.
    robinannhunt and Mirasa45A like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I admit I only know the American anthem because I've watched Carrie's performance a million times. Thanks to that, I could probably sing it at a ball's drop with no flaws.

HOWEVER, if you tell me a that million people are looking at me, I bet I'd choke. Not defending Luke, just saying what I think.

TBQH, I find the idea of "singers" performing the anthem to be a little funny. It's just a completely foreign concept to me...I've lived in a few countries in my life, and the anthem is always a standard procedure - of standard length to set music. I actually wouldn't like the idea of dolled-up divas in jazzy costumes singing the Indian national anthem like it were a pop song. JMO.
    At a ball's drop, eh?

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast