Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Some country music fans say Ashton Kutcher not offensive, popular country music is

As someone that loves the new sound of country music but also likes the roots of country music and it's sound this was a brutal article that threw many of the new artists under the bus so to speak.

Read more: Some country music fans say Ashton Kutcher not offensive, popular country music is | Fox News

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Oh, Kyle Coroneos is about to get a whole lot of comments sent his way.

To call Carrie's performance a "strip tease act" is just too much. Since I heard GG I knew critics would jump on her but even when Carrie released JTTW, DFTRM, Wasted, JAD, ITYS they kept saying she's not country so who cares at this point?

Concert Stars
    Farawayhills where are you?!! This is what he has been talking to us about and has a different opinion, I think. Saying, "don't tell me, what is Country". I agree that some of it gets pretty old, with the pickup trucks and cowboy hats. I think I will go with Faraway, there's a big wide range that is always evolving.

Insane Carrie Fan
    “Ashton Kutcher is an entertainer and a comedian and he was there for entertainment. But he was dressed more country than anyone you see on the show, which is the ironic thing about it,” said country music writer and the editor of SavingCountryMusic.com Kyle Coroneos. “It is a show about country music, but there is no country music on there. Ashton, with the way he was dressed, was one of the most country music things that happened on the show."
    Corneos says what he really offensive about the telecast was Carrie Underwood’s opening act and an appearance by the rock band KISS.
    “As someone who appreciates the traditions of country music I found Carrie Underwood’s strip tease act and KISS coming onstage with their bit more offensive than what Kutcher did,” Coroneos said.
    Seriously? Yeah, country is all about cowboy hats, boots along with a hays in a barn to complete the look.

This is the guy that was referenced in another thread with a tweet. Here's his site: Saving Country Music He also tweeted an hour ago that he had done the story referenced in this thread.

@The_Triggerman
    I don't think @aplusk Ashton Kutcher was offensive on the ACMs. He's a comedian. KISS & Carrie Underwood were much more offensive. #ACMs

Here are a few other tweets of this guy recently: He's telling SWSRN to just be herself (what?)

@The_Triggerman
    Not to be "Mean" but my biggest ACM's observation: Taylor Swift did not help her public image. She's overthinking it. Just be yourself #ACMs

@The_Triggerman
    ACM Awards are this Sunday, where horse trading abounds. Story from last year on how @carrieunderwood got snubbed! ACM Nominations “Fixed,” Carrie Underwood Snubbed « Saving Country Music

@The_Triggerman
    Refreshing to see @carrieunderwood refusing to do perfume Carrie Underwood Perfume Line Would Be 'Weird' - The Boot Sad to see so many others doing it Smells Like Pop Country: Perfume, Branding & Music « Saving Country Music

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Oh, Kyle Coroneos is about to get a whole lot of comments sent his way.

I'm actually surprised by his comment. I visit his site occasionally, and I find him to be fair to Carrie in the past. Certainly not a fan, but he has praised Carrie for her vocals.

Concert Stars
    I never understood why they invited Kiss to the ACM that i agree with but to attack Carrie like that was a low blow.I didn't at first like Ashton attempt but he later tweeted Miranda to reassure her that was not his intention.Now you are going to have the traditionalists that are going to use this as an anthem against the artists and today's country music.Mind you i like most of the new artists not all but only thing i don't like when an artist is going outside the genre to appease to the masses and get rewarded for it but those that choose not to cross over get over looked time & time again.Well i don't plan on visiting Kyle Coroneos because i don't think i will be able to refrain myself from saying some unpleasant things to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CALEBJOE View Post
    I never understood why they invited Kiss to the ACM that i agree with but to attack Carrie like that was a low blow.I didn't at first like Ashton attempt but he later tweeted Miranda to reassure her that was not his intention.Now you are going to have the traditionalists that are going to use this as an anthem against the artists and today's country music.Mind you i like most of the new artists not all but only thing i don't like when an artist is going outside the genre to appease to the masses and get rewarded for it but those that choose not to cross over get over looked time & time again.Well i don't plan on visiting Kyle Coroneos because i don't think i will be able to refrain myself from saying some unpleasant things to him.
    Good plan. He tweeted the link to this Foxnews article, saying the article featured an insight from him. He's loving the attention that this article provided him, so let's not give him more.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    First of all I don't see why some of the country artists were offended by Ashton. He is a comedian and I don't think he mean't any harm at all at the award shows. Personally I did not see the need for Miranda's and Justin Moore's tweets. Sorry Justin Moore fans but I find this guy to be a redneck. I just don't like him. Anyways, I am not sure why all of these folks keep complaining about the state of today's country music. Seriously, if all of country sounded like it did back in the day then who would buy country albums today. There is no way the younger generation would be buying stuff that sounds like the old traditional country music and record labels would not be in business. As much as people want to complain about Taylor Swift there is no way Scott Borchetta and Big Machine Records would be in existence without her.

Anyways, not sure why this guy called Carrie's performance a strip tease. Don't get that at all. If he said a rock performance then fine but a strip tease. Oh well country music cannot live in the past.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    First of all I don't see why some of the country artists were offended by Ashton. He is a comedian and I don't think he mean't any harm at all at the award shows. Personally I did not see the need for Miranda's and Justin Moore's tweets. Sorry Justin Moore fans but I find this guy to be a redneck. I just don't like him. Anyways, I am not sure why all of these folks keep complaining about the state of today's country music. Seriously, if all of country sounded like it did back in the day then who would buy country albums today. There is no way the younger generation would be buying stuff that sounds like the old traditional country music and record labels would not be in business. As much as people want to complain about Taylor Swift there is no way Scott Borchetta and Big Machine Records would be in existence without her.

Anyways, not sure why this guy called Carrie's performance a strip tease. Don't get that at all. If he said a rock performance then fine but a strip tease. Oh well country music cannot live in the past.
    Well what this guy calls traditional some would not for me i grew up in the 80's country music so i have a link to that era of country music and would call that traditional.Country music is ever evolving you can go back every ten years and see how it evolved and if this guy really wants to get technical look up the origins of country music.It didn't just spring up in America it's roots can be traced back to Ireland so this guy is a loon.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Back then all the ladies did not show any skin and boobs. Now a day's that's all we see in music. That's what they do to get attention and sell records. That's why I love Taylor so much. She never dresses in a way to get anyone to find fault by the way she dresses. But it's true that record labels, award shows and radio are making money with today's type of country vs old school.

Concert Stars
    This is just one article i found that talks about the origins of country music so Kyle opinion is subjective and bias when he lashes out at today's country music.

A History of Country Music

Triggerman/Kyle has always been openly disdainful of Justin Moore, Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, and similar artists. Maybe Justin Moore tweeting against Ashton was one of the reasons he got interested in this Ashton Kutcher issue. But him saying that Ashton and his getup was one of the most country music things that happened in the show is a gross exaggeration. lol

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Well, first of all, Triggerman (Kyle) can be a bit much to take sometimes. Some of the stuff he writes on his site is quite interesting, but most of it is just sad attempts to discredit mainstream country acts.
    Second, Carrie kept all of her clothes on, so how was her performance a strip tease act ?
    I think the writer of this article found as many cranky people possible that happen to agree with him to add to his article. This is not balanced jouralism at all, and it is just another fan to the country debate flames.
    As Farawayhills pointed out in a thread earlier this week, country has many different influences and the current sound is just a progession from what has happened in the past in country music. Today's popular acts aren't the first ones to add a little pop to their country. Pop has been an influence on country music for decades, and it isn't going to stop.
    Interesting how one of the people quoted called Justin Moore "hardcore country" when his whole persona has been called into question on Triggerman's site lol. Justin Moore falls right in line with the "checklist country" referenced in the article. His music relies on every cliche in the book.

Also, not all traditonal country fans live on a farm lol. I love the traditional stuff, and I certainly don't live anywhere near a farm.

I'll agree that for some artists it's kind of hard to believe them sometimes because of the disconnect in the image. I get awfully distracted by Gary LeVox's big ol' expensive watch when he is supposed to be singing about country living lol, but that doesn't get me all riled up like the people in this article.
    I think that people just need to accept that country music has continued to change over the years, and if they don't like what is on mainstream country radio, they need to stop listening to it. There are plenty of more obscure country artists out there doing great stuff that is more traditional-leaning.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Well, first of all, Triggerman (Kyle) can be a bit much to take sometimes. Some of the stuff he writes on his site is quite interesting, but most of it is just sad attempts to discredit mainstream country acts.
    Second, Carrie kept all of her clothes on, so how was her performance a strip tease act ?
    I think the writer of this article found as many cranky people possible that happen to agree with him to add to his article. This is not balanced jouralism at all, and it is just another fan to the country debate flames.
    As Farawayhills pointed out in a thread earlier this week, country has many different influences and the current sound is just a progession from what has happened in the past in country music. Today's popular acts aren't the first ones to add a little pop to their country. Pop has been an influence on country music for decades, and it isn't going to stop.
    Interesting how one of the people quoted called Justin Moore "hardcore country" when his whole persona has been called into question on Triggerman's site lol. Justin Moore falls right in line with the "checklist country" referenced in the article. His music relies on every cliche in the book.

Also, not all traditonal country fans live on a farm lol. I love the traditional stuff, and I certainly don't live anywhere near a farm.

I'll agree that for some artists it's kind of hard to believe them sometimes because of the disconnect in the image. I get awfully distracted by Gary LeVox's big ol' expensive watch when he is supposed to be singing about country living lol, but that doesn't get me all riled up like the people in this article.
    I think that people just need to accept that country music has continued to change over the years, and if they don't like what is on mainstream country radio, they need to stop listening to it. There are plenty of more obscure country artists out there doing great stuff that is more traditional-leaning.
    I will add one more thing the word pop is abbreviated for popular and some people act like pop is a dirty word or something i much prefer them say popular country music.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Farawayhills where are you?!! This is what he has been talking to us about and has a different opinion, I think. Saying, "don't tell me, what is Country". I agree that some of it gets pretty old, with the pickup trucks and cowboy hats. I think I will go with Faraway, there's a big wide range that is always evolving.
    Thanks, Rainbow - you summed up beautifully what I think (but usually take too long to say)

What I really object to in the Country Music style wars is over generalizing (as in, "it was all better then and it's all worse now"). That's just not true - the "then" is a shifting target, determined by what the writer best remembers from an era he or she happens to prefer. If you examine the "then", it usually turns out to be just as focused on the contemporary demand for hits in that era, and just as guilty of marginalizing other, less commercially popular styles. The demand for styles in chart and radio music changes as time goes on. Artists can consciously reject that, and focus on an off-Mainstream market - or they can embrace the contemporary demand and concentrate on the current Mainstream. Some do both, either at different stages of their careers, or by including stylistic variety in some of their album work. But one isn't right and the other wrong.

The over-generalizing is misleading. One poster lumps together Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Brooks & Dunn - but that conceals what I see as a major difference, The first three illustrate the "different stages of their career" approach, because all three had a significant degree of commercial success in the Mainstream of that era, but all three made a conscious move to be considered "Outlaws" and follow the Alternative route later in their careers. Brooks & Dunn, I feel, remained focused on the commercial Mainstream, with some "stylistic variety" (an example being the more rootsy song "South of Santa Fe").
    On the contemporary scene there's more unwarranted generalization. Lady Antebellum, for example, don't strike me as similar to Taylor Swift in either their main target market, their style, or their musical range. If the Pop Music world like Lady A - fine - more power to them. But Dave Hayward's playing and Hillary Scott's voice anchor them, for me, in contemporary Country.
    Miranda, I see as musically different, and often stylistically more adventurous, than her husband (picking a Fred Eaglesmith song, and taking part in the Pistol Annies project for example)

Turning to Carrie, I don't see her as ever likely to follow the "different stages of their career" route and become an Alternative Roots Country Outlaw (Miranda, possibly, as she has kept one toe in the water and could probably go back to Texas music if she wanted to). But I do think Carrie is a good example of an artist who aims for "stylistic variety", both in her albums and in her off-album performances. Take for example my two favourite songs on "Play On" - SLT and SWISLY - both showing Roots influence, but one leaning more Alternative, and the other more Traditional. Yet both still Carrie, and both still capable of winning a contemporary audience. Too often, I feel, people don't give her enough credit for the variety of choices she makes.

But many of the comments in that article are the same old complaint, from the "it's all gone downhill, because it's not the same as I remember" brigade. That complaint will always exist - and it happens in other genres too. We won't see the end of it, but I don't think it's a major worry. The Opry got it right when they jumped at the chance to recognize Carrie for what she truly is.

I don't mind with the whole "it's not country" because I'm used to it at this point.

What bothers me is he saying Carrie did a "strip tease act". Talk about being hungry for attention...

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    The interesting thing about the article is the comment about John Denver in the 70s. I'd be willing to bet we could find "controversies" from a lot further back than that. Obviously this whole discussion has been going on for a really, really long time. I found the comment about "checklist" artists interesting as well. I have noticed people artificially inserting the requisite truck or country reference just to be considered more authentic. To me that is way more "fake" than anything the supposedly more pop artists do. To me the whole discussion is silly. Artists should do what they want and the public can decide what they like and what they want to buy. There are plenty of "traditional" acts out there. The purists are free to buy their music and ignore what they don't like. I hate rap but why would it matter to me if other people like it? I'm perfectly happy to just not listen to it.

Carrie Guru
    Corneos says what he really offensive about the telecast was Carrie Underwood’s opening act and an appearance by the rock band KISS.

“As someone who appreciates the traditions of country music I found Carrie Underwood’s strip tease act and KISS coming onstage with their bit more offensive than what Kutcher did,” Coroneos said.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast