Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Earl Scruggs, banjo legend, RIP

Very sad news for the Country, Bluegrass and Festival community, in that Earl Scruggs has passed away, aged 88.

Over the years, he played with most of the string band artists, but was best known for his partnership with the late Lester Flatt, and the Foggy Mountain Boys.

This video shows part of one of his last public concert appearances (He was at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in 2010 and 2011, despite his advanced age and frail health - you can see him sitting on the front of the stage, playing banjo, while his son sings.
    (I've also picked this clip to show the Country Hippies - who figure strongly in the festival audiences - dancing. They loved Earl as a revered founding figure whose music spanned the generations - and they are presumably the real audience that Taylor Swift was trying to reference in the Mean video!)

Also, I'd like to play a modern song that I've always loved - Claire Lynch's tribute to Lester Flatt (which now can be applied equally poignantly to Earl's legacy as well)

May they rest in peace

Thanks for sharing.

RIP.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for sharing. Fox News played clip of him playing with Steve Martin on one of the late night shows.

Sad, indeed. RIP Mr. Scruggs.

•