Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Concert Stars

Natalie Maines Takes Jab at Jason Aldean

That old saying, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” must have fallen on deaf ears at the Natalie Maines household. The Dixie Chicks vocalist rode a storm of criticism on her own Twitter page after cracking a joke at Jason Aldean‘s expense during the 2012 Grammy Awards on Sunday night.

“Well the good thing about his mic going out is suddenly the song got a lot more in tune,” Maines tweeted, adding that he was “pitchy” in his delivery. Aldean’s microphone cut out during the end of his performance of ‘Don’t You Wanna Stay’ with Kelly Clarkson. Perhaps more surprising than the verbal slap is Country Music Is Love‘s report that the ‘Wide Open Spaces’ singer doesn’t even know who Aldean is.

“I don’t know him. I just know this wasn’t a good night for him. It happens,” she responded when a fan called her out. Unsurprisingly, many fans didn’t care for her comment against the ‘Dirt Road Anthem’ hitmaker. “Country music star Jason Aldean was singing with Kelly and your tweet was just plain mean – and incorrect,” one fan said.

“I got nothing against the guy, but really? You thought that was in tune?” Maines asked. She clarified her point for another fan, tweeting, “I get the feeling you don’t like that I don’t like top 40 country music.Music’s subjective.”

It seems that in the nearly 10 years away from mainstream country music, the singer hasn’t kept up with the times — which she admits. “I haven’t been aware of country music in at least 6 years. It’s not my thing,” she tweeted in response to one shocked fan. A look at who she follows on the social media site backs up that statement. It’s mostly actors, comedians and friends. “I used to follow it because I felt it was my job to know what was going on. I don’t think that anymore,” she added later.

Maines did have nice things to say about Bon Iver and Etta James, and earlier said a few nice words about Whitney Houston. She even paid Taylor Swift a compliment. “Haven’t seen anybody make the banjo look sexy since Emily Robison. #goodjobtaylorswift,” she tweeted. It was an typically open and honest night on Twitter for the singer, who often says things that would make Blake Shelton blush.
    Dixie Chicks’ Natalie Maines Takes Jab at Jason Aldean

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Guess I should follow the same rule of "if I can't say something nice then don't say anything at all" so I can honestly say Aldean was just fine - always is!! There are some people I just haven't missed either.

Concert Stars
    I guess when you stop making music you have to do something to stay relevant... Saying stupid things seems to be what shes best at these days...instead of WIDE OPEN SPACES it should be WIDE OPEN MOUTH WITH FOOT STUCK INSIDE.... LOL

Concert Stars
    OMG, Natalie.
    I don't even know what to say to this.
    I have been a big fan of her voice and the Chicks in general. But this sort of banter is so "low budget".
    Sorry Natalie, you're intitled to your opinion but sometimes for the sake of social graces you should keep it to yourself.
    As someone who has been a target for many people not appreciateing her, I find it kind of offensive that she could be so hard on other artists.
    And really? You;re going to throw a compliment out to none other than Taylor Swift but you're gonna bad mouth a fellow "singer"?
    BTW, I watched that performance. And she is completely wrong. He was not off pitch! His voice may sit low but he was still on pitch!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Well I guess she doesn't consider herself a country artist. Anyways, I do agree Jason did not sound very good; however, I think you have to be careful with what you say on Twitter. To me Jason sounded nervous but maybe that was just me. Also, with regards to the comment about Taylor and the banjo you don't play a banjo like Taylor did do you? She bascially was strumming it like a guitar and I am pretty sure that is not how you play a banjo.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I LOVE twitter and the poor choices that celebs make on it, you don't ever know what someone is going to say and it is always good for a "what the hell was ___________ thinking when they tweeted?"

Concert Stars
    Any notion of the Dixie Chicks getting back together and be relevant in country music might have had the final nail shut on the coffin.What a waste of talent i am seeing here clearly Natalie has moved on from country music.I believe country would have embraced them back in the fold if Natalie at least released a statement following her George Bush remark.Stating while she has a right to her opinion she should have not said it publicly i think what made matters worse was the attack on America.And people viewed her comments as not patriotic and the firestorm that assumed was astounding as there career at least in country music was done over night almost.I wish Natalie the best but going after Jason like this won't sit well with the country community.

Concert Stars
    I agree that the comments she made about country music came across as hypociritcal and self serving.
    Country music made her a very very rich woman. And now she has the nerve to suggest that she never really liked or followed it in the first place.
    Not cool Natalie.
    Even if it's true, not cool.
    And yeah, you can kiss a comeback goodbye at country.
    And as little as they get played right now, I imagine they are getting pulled now once and for all.

Concert Stars
    I see she still hasn't learned to just shut up and sing.

How does she know she doesn't like mainstream country if she doesn't even listen to it or know who the artists are? Lol

I like the Dixie Chicks, and I was on their side with the last controversy, but now she's just coming across as unnecessarily rude.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I'm surprised she would say something like this.
    Her comment was just rude, uncalled for, and totally unnecessary. Seriously, Nat?

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    once a *****, always a *****.
    Becca

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I totally get that we all have the right to express our opinions, but what she said was just mean and bitter, and she knew she was going to tick off a lot of fans by saying that. It's kind of surprising, actually; she just called Jason out for no reason, just out of nowhere? What has Jason Aldean ever done to anyone, Lol? He didn't even win a Grammy that night, but he sure has had a lot more success than she ever will. And a big part of that is because Jason is always so soft-spoken and has never said a negative thing about anyone. He's just the nicest guy, and a great singer. He didn't deserve that. Could she get up there and sing with Kelly Clarkson? No.......

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    I totally get that we all have the right to express our opinions, but what she said was just mean and bitter, and she knew she was going to tick off a lot of fans by saying that. It's kind of surprising, actually; she just called Jason out for no reason, just out of nowhere? What has Jason Aldean ever done to anyone, Lol? He didn't even win a Grammy that night, but he sure has had a lot more success than she ever will. And a big part of that is because Jason is always so soft-spoken and has never said a negative thing about anyone. He's just the nicest guy, and a great singer. He didn't deserve that. Could she get up there and sing with Kelly Clarkson? No.......
    Natalie is the lead singer for the Dixie Chicks, who are the most successful female band of all-time. They have also won plenty of industry awards, including Grammy's. They won 5 for the album that isolated them from country music. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think your statement should be the other way around.

I agree it was in poor taste for Natalie to say what she did, but she has always been very opinionated; she seemed to have no problem saying that she thought Aldean sounded rough at the Grammy's and replying to his fans about it. I'm sure plenty of people said much worse, too. The main thing I had an issue with was that Natalie is still raging on mainstream country music; if it weren't for the support of country music fans, no one would know who she is. She almost seems desperate to prove she doesn't want to be a part of the country music community, because she still continues to discuss it after all these years. Leave it alone already, Nat.

I grew up with the Chicks music and I adore them, but sometimes Natalie puts her foot in her mouth too often. She just seems to be isolating herself from the entire industry the more she speaks, and it's truly sad to see how she has single-handedly run DC into the ground. I wish she'd stop beating the dead horse and get on with her life; if she doesn't like country music she sure talks about it a lot.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^Whoops! Sorry about that I guess she is more successful than him, lol. But at least Jason knows class.

Yeah, I understand why Natalie is mad at the industry and especially country radio, but I don't think that should be taken out on mainstream artists, especially ones who weren't even around when the issue happened. It's been about 9 years - its time for both sides to move on.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The Chicks have 13 Grammy wins to their name, plus 8 additional nominations on top of that. One of their Grammy wins includes Album of the Year. The Chicks have had a lot more success than Jason at this point, but Jason might surpass that in time.
    Jason isn't some meek and mild little thing who doesn't say anything negative either lol. He made some negative comments about the CMAs being rigged in 2010 when he was left off the ballot. Of course, he forgot all about that when they made him their golden boy this past year. His comments were slightly more diplomatic than Natalie's though lol.
    As for Natalie being able to sing with Kelly, she probably could. Natalie's a great singer.
    I'm not criticizing your post, btw, just straightening out some things lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

Natalie is the lead singer for the Dixie Chicks, who are the most successful female band of all-time. They have also won plenty of industry awards, including Grammy's. They won 5 for the album that isolated them from country music. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think your statement should be the other way around.

I agree it was in poor taste for Natalie to say what she did, but she has always been very opinionated; she seemed to have no problem saying that she thought Aldean sounded rough at the Grammy's and replying to his fans about it. I'm sure plenty of people said much worse, too. The main thing I had an issue with was that Natalie is still raging on mainstream country music; if it weren't for the support of country music fans, no one would know who she is. She almost seems desperate to prove she doesn't want to be a part of the country music community, because she still continues to discuss it after all these years. Leave it alone already, Nat.

I grew up with the Chicks music and I adore them, but sometimes Natalie puts her foot in her mouth too often. She just seems to be isolating herself from the entire industry the more she speaks, and it's truly sad to see how she has single-handedly run DC into the ground. I wish she'd stop beating the dead horse and get on with her life; if she doesn't like country music she sure talks about it a lot.

Nice post, Karly .
    I'm not nearly as bothered by Natalie's comments about Jason as I am about her comments on mainstream country. First of all, I love how hypocritical it is to claim she doesn't pay any attention to mainstream country, yet she congratulated Taylor on her performance lol. If she can't stand mainstream country, I would think Taylor would be the last person she'd want to associate herself with, given that many a country fan thinks Taylor is the ruin of country music lol.
    Anyway, Natalie is biting the hand that fed her with her comments on country music. Mainstream country audiences and radio were very kind to her at one point. She, along with Emily and Marty, were awarded Album of the Year twice by the ACMs and once by the CMAs, not to mention they have several Vocal Group awards from both associations. Don't forget that EOTY as well lol. Natalie has a lot to thank the country industry for. Yes, country fans did run them out of town, and yes, a few artists (namely Toby Keith) helped the efforts, but country music overall was very good to Natalie.
    I had been hoping the Chicks would return to country at some point, but now I don't think I want that to happen. Natalie clearly doesn't appreciate the genre as a whole, so why would country fans invite her back with open arms? It's sad that she is still acting so bitter toward country music. It makes me wonder if she ever really did appreciate her peers in mainstream country.

I guess Natalie still isn't ready to make nice .

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Lol, ok, I apparantly missed out on a lot! I had no idea Jason criticized the CMAs.

Lol, ok, I apparantly missed out on a lot! I had no idea Jason criticized the CMAs.
    I think this was the interview where Jason Aldean commented on the lack of CMA nods:

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Hm, yeah I do remember the 2010 Entertainer of the year noms were like, what?? I was broken hearted Carrie wasn't nominated. And Carrie has been snubbed by the CMAs so many times, and yet you don't see her ever "speaking out" about it, because that's just not Carrie to criticize anyone.

But, regardless of any of that, I thought Jason still did well with Kelly at the Grammys, and he didn't deserve that comment.

I'm not a big fan of his music in particular, but he does work hard, and he does a great job of upholding country music's standards.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast