Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Billboard Names Top Ten Country Artists of 2011

Taylor Swift has yet another achievement she can call "Mine." She was named the top country artist of 2011 by Billboard magazine on Friday (Dec. 9).

In addition, Swift's album, Speak Now, ranked second on the industry publication's year-end Top 200 list for album sales, just behind Adele's 21. Swift placed eighth on the all-genre Top 100 artists list.

Jason Aldean ranked second on the top country artists list, and his My Kinda Party album placed fourth among the Top 200 albums, just after Lady Gaga's Born This Way.

Lady Antebellum came in third on the top country artists list. Meanwhile, the Zac Brown Band entered in fourth place, followed by Blake Shelton, The Band Perry, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley and Luke Bryan.

CMT : News : Taylor Swift Tops Billboard's Top Country Artists of 2011

Concert Stars
    Time for me to go back to Classic rock.....

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I hope the country association is very pleased with who they've pushed into the lead with the cd which is nothing but pop. I don't blame billboard as she has had the backing of all the country voters for quite some time - can't blame her, she is only doing what anyone would do in her situation. Nobody else would have been able to get away with passing such a pop cd off as a country cd - they'd been blasted out of town. Somebody has a lot of power to get all this to evolve. What a joke country has become.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDollyDee View Post
    I hope the country association is very pleased with who they've pushed into the lead with the cd which is nothing but pop. I don't blame billboard as she has had the backing of all the country voters for quite some time - can't blame her, she is only doing what anyone would do in her situation. Nobody else would have been able to get away with passing such a pop cd off as a country cd - they'd been blasted out of town. Somebody has a lot of power to get all this to evolve. What a joke country has become.
    You do realize these Billboard charts are based on album sales, single sales, airplay, concert revenue, and a few other stats right? It's not just something the people at Billboard made up based on who they like best. Unfortunately, Taylor's album is labeled as country, thus Billboard must count her on the country charts. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
    The country association didn't push her into the spotlight, but rather Big Machine pushed her into the spotlight and people bought what they were selling. It is Scott Borschetta that has all the power, not the country music association.
    I do agree though that no one else could get away with trying to sell a pop album in country music. Critics were terrible to Sugarland and Lady A for what they felt were albums that didn't fit the country mold, and there is no less country on those albums than on Ms. Swift's latest effort.
    Last edited by supercarriefan; 12-13-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Time for me to go back to Classic rock.....
    agree. I am so tired of SWSRN on top of every "Country" chart when she is not even remotely country.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    You do realize these Billboard charts are based on album sales, single sales, airplay, concert revenue, and a few other stats right? It's not just something the people at Billboard made up based on who they like best. Unfortunately, Taylor's album is labeled as country, thus Billboard must count her on the country charts. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
    The country association didn't push her into the spotlight, but rather Big Machine pushed her into the spotlight and people bought what they were selling. It is Scott Borschetta that has all the power, not the country music association.
    I do agree though that no one else could get away with trying to sell a pop album in country music. Critics were terrible to Sugarland and Lady A for what they felt were albums that didn't fit the country mold, and there is no less country on those albums than on Ms. Swift's latest effort.
    I do understand what you are saying but I have a hard time believing this all would have come to this point if the Country Assn hadn't also backed her in every way possible - right from the start. It hasn't been that long that we've been saying how they were pushing her on every award show. I still do not blame TS and I don't think her label would have the power if the powers to be didn't allow it. I don't remember one comment about her album being anything but pop. The Country Assn awarded her at every turn. Sure discouraging to the artist following the rules. This is coming from a country fan not a Carrie fan (though I"m definitely that) - I think its a travesty to say least.
    My opinion I know.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Exactly.

Big Machine does a great job of promoting Swift and putting her in position to have great success, that along with a huge worldwide fan base allows her to get the across the board numbers that she has and with her being on a country label is why she gets nominated for & wins country awards.

Concert Stars
    Just wait, just wait! Carrie is going to spin Taylors head like a top!!!!!!!!

She has great success of Country radios, her album will be counted as 'country' simply because of that. Her singles performance also suggests that she's a primarily a country based one so there you go.

Had we make this Calender years instead of Billboard years, the #1 Country Album in 2010 would have been Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" and 2011's would have been Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party". But then, I do now realize that Billboard also counts tour sales and Swift has a considerable advantage over Aldean on that, so now I'm content with her being the #1 Country Artist.

As a side note, for the past few years, she's managed to move 4 million units of albums yearly, I suppose this will be her first year since "Teardrops On My Guitar (Pop Mix)" blew up on Pop radios she fails to do so. "Speak Now" has yet to scan a million copies for this Calender year, and her other releases would not have sold enough to place her total any more than a million copies for the year. I also think this year her singles sales have been suffering a massive drops. Annually she's moved like 10 million digital singles + for the past few years, but this year, "The Story of Us" totally bombed, "Mean" crossed Platinum by a little but a lot of its sales came from 2010, "Sparks Fly" barely went Gold and a large portion of its sales came from 2010, "Back To December" is Platinum but most of its sales came from 2010 as well. She also doesn't have a random track which sold like "Today Was A Fariytale" (Platinum) this year. Both "If This Were A Movie" and "Ours" are not looking to go Gold anytime soon. So actually she might have sold less than 2 million copies of digital tracks this year. Between her massive sales drop and airplay for the year, can we say this is the beginning of the end of her reign?

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDollyDee View Post
    I do understand what you are saying but I have a hard time believing this all would have come to this point if the Country Assn hadn't also backed her in every way possible - right from the start. It hasn't been that long that we've been saying how they were pushing her on every award show. I still do not blame TS and I don't think her label would have the power if the powers to be didn't allow it. I don't remember one comment about her album being anything but pop. The Country Assn awarded her at every turn. Sure discouraging to the artist following the rules. This is coming from a country fan not a Carrie fan (though I"m definitely that) - I think its a travesty to say least.
    My opinion I know.
    In terms of country music awarding Taylor at every turn, they really haven't awarded her as much as one would think. Sure, they've nominated her, but it would look bad on the industry if they didn't because she is obviously one of the biggest names out there. However, she has only won 5 ACMs in the course of her career; she has been nominated 11 times where she didn't win including Album of the Year for Speak Now. She has never taken home the actual Top Female Vocalist trophy at the ACMs. The CMAs seem to have had their time when they did award her heavily, but that has cooled substantially with Taylor only taking home one award this year. Of course, it was the big award, but again it would have looked bad if she hadn't won something given the year she had. Taylor has only taken home Female Vocalist at the CMAs once, and it seems the industry is reluctant to give it to her again. If they were so keen on pushing Taylor despite her lack of growth, they would have handed her Female Vocalist and Album of the Year at the CMAs this year, but they didn't. Those awards went to actual country artists. Taylor has yet to win a single ACA despite the show being fan-voted. Her winning streak at the CMT Awards seems to have cooled as well.
    I'm not trying to argue with you, btw. I just like facts, so I thought I'd give people some facts on the subject lol. It's interesting to actually see the decline in Taylor's winning at country award shows. Perhaps the industry and the public are starting to raise their expectation for Ms Swift.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Lambert finally landing a # 1 which in turn gave those voters who wanted to vote for her to win FVOTY but didn't feel right in doing so when Carrie & Taylor both already had multiple # 1's is one of the reasons that she has beat out both Carrie & Taylor at both the ACM & CMA.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    So, basically, Billboard sucks.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    She has great success of Country radios, her album will be counted as 'country' simply because of that. Her singles performance also suggests that she's a primarily a country based one so there you go.

Had we make this Calender years instead of Billboard years, the #1 Country Album in 2010 would have been Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" and 2011's would have been Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party". But then, I do now realize that Billboard also counts tour sales and Swift has a considerable advantage over Aldean on that, so now I'm content with her being the #1 Country Artist.

As a side note, for the past few years, she's managed to move 4 million units of albums yearly, I suppose this will be her first year since "Teardrops On My Guitar (Pop Mix)" blew up on Pop radios she fails to do so. "Speak Now" has yet to scan a million copies for this Calender year, and her other releases would not have sold enough to place her total any more than a million copies for the year. I also think this year her singles sales have been suffering a massive drops. Annually she's moved like 10 million digital singles + for the past few years, but this year, "The Story of Us" totally bombed, "Mean" crossed Platinum by a little but a lot of its sales came from 2010, "Sparks Fly" barely went Gold and a large portion of its sales came from 2010, "Back To December" is Platinum but most of its sales came from 2010 as well. She also doesn't have a random track which sold like "Today Was A Fariytale" (Platinum) this year. Both "If This Were A Movie" and "Ours" are not looking to go Gold anytime soon. So actually she might have sold less than 2 million copies of digital tracks this year. Between her massive sales drop and airplay for the year, can we say this is the beginning of the end of her reign?

I've heard conflicting stories about SN's official sales. I heard Big Machine shipped 3 million copies of the album and even though it's only sold 1 million, it's certified 3x platinum. Is that accurate? (if so, it's completely ridiculous Taylor was credited for such high sales when her actual numbers are on par with Jason Aldean, Sugarland, Rascal Flatts, etc).

Even though I really don't like her being classified as a country artist these days, I'll give credit where it is due. The girl has massive touring numbers and she is very popular both in and out of country music. If she has the numbers, she should be credited. However, I was kind of disappointed Jason Aldean came in at #2, because if Taylor had not been included on the list Jason, TBP, and many others would've gotten their chance to shine, and I think it's sad they are overshadowed, because they won't be recognized anywhere else. I do wish Taylor was not classified as country, because she has not been a beacon for the genre for a few years now. I think it's sad other country artists who had their breakouts this year (Jason, TBP), are going to be overshadowed by someone who is clearly a pop star. I'd like to see the country artists get some credit for being able to stand alone and be successful, instead of making it seem like they all pale in comparison to someone who is not really country & is really only still here because she's marketed as country.

And I agree her pop radio singles have bombed compared to the one's released during the "Fearless" era. I was actually shocked TSOU bombed, because that is a perfect slice of pop ear candy that is arguably should fit right along side golden pop jams like "You And I" and "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)." Based on the formula, TSOU should've been HUGE. The fact that it bombed really says volumes about how the pop world feels about her these days. It's ironic that most country fans refuse to classify her as country (or even country pop), but yet her lack of success at pop radio really suggests she'd be in a completely different situation if she was only marketed as pop. In the country world, she's seen as being so far above country artists (even though she isn't country), but in the pop world she clearly wouldn't be able to keep up with the big boys. It's very telling.

And someone mentioned Miranda? Although this has been discussed in the "Four The Record" thread, Miranda is in a much better position than she was before "Revolution"/THTBM. She pulled in first week numbers that were double of what she pulled in with her last album & it looks like she may have an easier time getting radio support with the massive push of "Baggage Claim." I think it's clear that she'll never be as successful as Taylor or Carrie, but she is still in a respectable position that is a few steps above where she was a few years ago. She is in a position where she may struggle to find massive success because of the rough style of her music and the twang in her voice, but I would say she's in a much more secure spot in country music than she was pre-"Revolution." I'd think she and her label are very happy with her position, simply because she is above where she was before. If she has found her craft (and it clearly works for her), I see no reason why she shouldn't be happy with where she is.

Look at Little Big Town; they are not huge, but they are still able to make great music and they have a fanbase that seems to be very loyal, even though they have never found consistent success. In country music, it's considered more acceptable to be a moderate success than it is in pop music; when artists like Little Big Town and Kellie Pickler can still remain signed while struggling to find radio success or garner album sales it says a lot about the comfortable position an an artist like Miranda is in. Miranda may never find massive success, but that's OK. She is who she is, and she has always had a loyal fanbase to support her. Even if she fails to hit platinum, she's still in a a decent position, when you consider the success of say Kellie Pickler or Little Big Town. She'll have no problem remaining signed and maybe getting a few radio hits once in awhile; if she's going to fail to explode, I'd say she's in a good spot, considering it'd now be difficult for her to be ignored.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
    In terms of country music awarding Taylor at every turn, they really haven't awarded her as much as one would think. Sure, they've nominated her, but it would look bad on the industry if they didn't because she is obviously one of the biggest names out there. However, she has only won 5 ACMs in the course of her career; she has been nominated 11 times where she didn't win including Album of the Year for Speak Now. She has never taken home the actual Top Female Vocalist trophy at the ACMs. The CMAs seem to have had their time when they did award her heavily, but that has cooled substantially with Taylor only taking home one award this year. Of course, it was the big award, but again it would have looked bad if she hadn't won something given the year she had. Taylor has only taken home Female Vocalist at the CMAs once, and it seems the industry is reluctant to give it to her again. If they were so keen on pushing Taylor despite her lack of growth, they would have handed her Female Vocalist and Album of the Year at the CMAs this year, but they didn't. Those awards went to actual country artists. Taylor has yet to win a single ACA despite the show being fan-voted. Her winning streak at the CMT Awards seems to have cooled as well.
    I'm not trying to argue with you, btw. I just like facts, so I thought I'd give people some facts on the subject lol. It's interesting to actually see the decline in Taylor's winning at country award shows. Perhaps the industry and the public are starting to raise their expectation for Ms Swift.
    I know that, and she was actually pretty late in sweepings awards because of Carrie's continued domination. I recall she only started to sweep anything anywhere since the second year of "Fearless", that is, basically after she won her first (and only?) VMA with Kanye West's interruption (I recall she only won much in the following CMAs, Grammy's, ACMs and CMY Online which was STILL dominated by Carrie). She couldn't even beat Carrie in the PCAs after that (She beat her in another year though). And very likely she'll be forgotten by award shows with her massive drop in popularity.

But the fact that people hate her for 'dominating' those award shows and that acted as a backlash to her really doesn't annoy me any bit. :P

Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    So, basically, Billboard sucks.
    No, they're not. They made her the Top Country Artist with hard statistics. And if you compare them to Mediabase, they had made effort to make manipulation to their charts difficult, hence giving her only one #1 hit this era, as opposed to 4 on Mediabase.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    [/B]

I've heard conflicting stories about SN's official sales. I heard Big Machine shipped 3 million copies of the album and even though it's only sold 1 million, it's certified 3x platinum. Is that accurate? (if so, it's completely ridiculous Taylor was credited for such high sales when her actual numbers are on par with Jason Aldean, Sugarland, Rascal Flatts, etc).

Even though I really don't like her being classified as a country artist these days, I'll give credit where it is due. The girl has massive touring numbers and she is very popular both in and out of country music. If she has the numbers, she should be credited. However, I was kind of disappointed Jason Aldean came in at #2, because if Taylor had not been included on the list Jason, TBP, and many others would've gotten their chance to shine, and I think it's sad they are overshadowed, because they won't be recognized anywhere else. I do wish Taylor was not classified as country, because she has not been a beacon for the genre for a few years now. I think it's sad other country artists who had their breakouts this year (Jason, TBP), are going to be overshadowed by someone who is clearly a pop star. I'd like to see the country artists get some credit for being able to stand alone and be successful, instead of making it seem like they all pale in comparison to someone who is not really country & is really only still here because she's marketed as country.

And I agree her pop radio singles have bombed compared to the one's released during the "Fearless" era. I was actually shocked TSOU bombed, because that is a perfect slice of pop ear candy that is arguably should fit right along side golden pop jams like "You And I" and "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)." Based on the formula, TSOU should've been HUGE. The fact that it bombed really says volumes about how the pop world feels about her these days. It's ironic that most country fans refuse to classify her as country (or even country pop), but yet her lack of success at pop radio really suggests she'd be in a completely different situation if she was only marketed as pop. In the country world, she's seen as being so far above country artists (even though she isn't country), but in the pop world she clearly wouldn't be able to keep up with the big boys. It's very telling.

And someone mentioned Miranda? Although this has been discussed in the "Four The Record" thread, Miranda is in a much better position than she was before "Revolution"/THTBM. She pulled in first week numbers that were double of what she pulled in with her last album & it looks like she may have an easier time getting radio support with the massive push of "Baggage Claim." I think it's clear that she'll never be as successful as Taylor or Carrie, but she is still in a respectable position that is a few steps above where she was a few years ago. She is in a position where she may struggle to find massive success because of the rough style of her music and the twang in her voice, but I would say she's in a much more secure spot in country music than she was pre-"Revolution." I'd think she and her label are very happy with her position, simply because she is above where she was before. If she has found her craft (and it clearly works for her), I see no reason why she shouldn't be happy with where she is.

Look at Little Big Town; they are not huge, but they are still able to make great music and they have a fanbase that seems to be very loyal, even though they have never found consistent success. In country music, it's considered more acceptable to be a moderate success than it is in pop music; when artists like Little Big Town and Kellie Pickler can still remain signed while struggling to find radio success or garner album sales it says a lot about the comfortable position an an artist like Miranda is in. Miranda may never find massive success, but that's OK. She is who she is, and she has always had a loyal fanbase to support her. Even if she fails to hit platinum, she's still in a a decent position, when you consider the success of say Kellie Pickler or Little Big Town. She'll have no problem remaining signed and maybe getting a few radio hits once in awhile; if she's going to fail to explode, I'd say she's in a good spot, considering it'd now be difficult for her to be ignored.

Billboard uses actual sales from Soundscan, not R.I.A.A.. So no matter how overshipped it is it won't affect anything. Britney Spears' "Femme Fatale" got certified Platinum and is not like it was reflected on the Billboard 200 or the Billboard 200 Artist/Albums year-end lists.

But, to address your concern more directly, she's opened with 1.04 million copies IIRC, its initial shipment was something north of 2 million copies, which is a standard shipping amount as labels tend to ship double of actual sales in albums' first weeks. "Speak Now"'s actual sales is inching towards 4 million copies in the States, and I believe it got Triple Platinum for now, so it was not overshipped. However, the thing to note is that "Speak Now" has sold almost 3 million copies in 2010 Calender Year, making her selling not enough for a million copies for the 2011 Celender Year so far.

It would be hard to omit Taylor Swift from Country's lists. Her singles perform the best on Country radios. Truth be told, she's basically either underperformed big time or flopped on every other formats, with the exception of "Mine" being quite a big Adult Contemporary radio hit. But to address her status more specifically, I think it's obvious that all her 'successes' for this year, or the year before, were basically due to the fact how well "Fearless" had been connecting with the Pop audience. While this is also quite an amazing feat, seeing how well she'd still be performing ever if casual fans don't exist anymore for her, her country 'success' doesn't classify her correctly which I suppose is why many of us are very annoyed by her identifying as a Country artist. The fact that 3 Country #1 singles could push her to sell even a million copies and 1.5 million copies of singles shows just how little casual fans she's having at the moment.

The bombing of "The Story of Us" got multiple factors. 1. It does not get served with a Pop mix; 2. Taylor Swift and Big Machine have not catered as much to Pop radios this year, in comparison to the "Fearless" era: a. They didn't bother to send out the Pop mixes (This is not a matter of whether her songs needed one, but rather how Pop radios wanted to be treated special) until it's later in her singles' chart runs, b. She didn't do as much interviews with Pop radios anymore, she also didn't pull any stunt remotely resembles her push for "You Belong With Me" on Pop radios; 3. She identifies herself as a Country artist and usually Pop radios don't give much chances for Country artists -- See Rascal Flatts, Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes, Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, etc. It's extremely difficult for a Country artist to have continue success on Pop radios; 4. Her previous singles underperformed and failed to connect with listeners -- After "You Belong With Me" smashed (And it actually only reached #1 with a massive push), "Fifthteen" killed all the momentum she's had as listeners and radios both hate it, and then, "Today Was A Fairytale" connects to exactly 0 person outside of her core fanbase, the fact that Big Machine forced Pop radios to play it hurt her brand even more; for the new era, "Mine" underperformed, "Back To December" underperformed, both with rather disappointing sales -- yes, they both made it to Platinum which is nothing to be ashamed of, but considering she's the biggest-selling digital artist of all-time, and that most of their sales were sold in their first few weeks, it's a very dangerous thing for Pop radios to play her, in other not to alienate their listeners.

All of these are pointing towards a doom day for the Taylor Swift Empire. And it's certain that she'll fade away pretty quickly for the upcoming year and so. However, she has a few things on her side, 1. She has established a really loyal and big fanbase, meaning without casual fans she could still appear to be pretty popular, and it'd take time for her core fanbase to wan off, and 2. there really isn't anybody to replace her at the moment. Jason Aldean is a male artist, male artists usually don't do well outside of country; Miranda Lambert seemed to be the next big thing, but she was just too country for it and the performance of "Baggage Claim" and "Four The Record" basically told us that she won't be. As for Carrie, while we should never count her out, as I've said, Pop radios don't tend to give much chances for country artists, and she's just not aggressive or hunger for such success, which would translate to her not taking the throne from Swifty. Faith Hill also is flopping as well as Shania Twain. Oh well, let's see whether Lady Antebellum can have major success this era outside of country and we shall see whether Swift will be forgotten in a short period of time.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    [COLOR="blue"][/B]

The crazy thing is, even if she were "officially" classified as pop artist, she will still be considered a huge "star" based on the #, wouldn't she.
    She sells out albums like CRAZY. I believe SN has sold even more than that of the "queen" of pop, Lady Gaga.
    Yes, her single's success this era pales in comparison to that of Katy Perry, Adele,and Rihanna and yet, she still manages to outsell most every pop/mainstream artist out there (except for Adele).
    Also, hasn't she sold more singles in total than anyone else out there, ALL genre, of all time? (I heard Lady Gaga is a close 2nd)

I strongly dislike some of the methods they use for marketing but clearly, SOMETHING is working to her advantage as she has already sold 5x SN worldwide and sells 4 mill copies averaged annually.

Looking at the stats, I wouldn't be so sure her 15 minutes are anywhere near over. What a shame that she's being billed as a country artist when she has hardly any love or respect for country music. I just can't tolerate this act. Why not go to pop already if that's where your heart is? What a faux pass.

Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    The crazy thing is, even if she were "officially" classified as pop artist, she will still be considered a huge "star" based on the #, wouldn't she.
    She sells out albums like CRAZY. I believe SN has sold even more than that of the "queen" of pop, Lady Gaga.
    Yes, her single's success this era pales in comparison to that of Katy Perry, Adele,and Rihanna and yet, she still manages to outsell most every pop/mainstream artist out there (except for Adele).
    Also, hasn't she sold more singles in total than anyone else out there, ALL genre, of all time? (I heard Lady Gaga is a close 2nd)

I strongly dislike some of the methods they use for marketing but clearly, SOMETHING is working to her advantage as she has already sold 5x SN worldwide and sells 4 mill copies averaged annually.

Looking at the stats, I wouldn't be so sure her 15 minutes are anywhere near over. What a shame that she's being billed as a country artist when she has hardly any love or respect for country music. I just can't tolerate this act. Why not go to pop already if that's where your heart is? What a faux pass.
    No actually, if she's considered Pop, she'd just lose the spot on Top Country Artists, and she'd just keep everything else.

"Speak Now" sold more than Lady GaGa's "Born This Way" but not "The Fame"/"The Fame Monster" (Excluding the "Monster" EP here).

She's the biggest-selling digital artist of all-time (Lady GaGa is the most certified), but in this era she's only sold around 6 million copies of digital tracks, which would be less than what one Lady GaGa or the Black Eyed Peas song has sold.

"Born This Way" Era (Lady GaGa): ~ 9 million digital tracks
    "The Fame" Era (Lady GaGa): ~ 21 million digital tracks
    "Monster" Era (Lady GaGa): ~ 10 million digital tracks
    "Fearless" Era (Taylor Swift): ~ 17 million digital tracks
    "Taylor Swift" Era (Taylor Swift): ~ 10 million digital tracks
    "The E.N.D." Era (The Black Eyed Peas): ~ 22 million digital tracks
    "The Beginning" Era (The Black Eyed Peas): ~ 6-7 million digital tracks
    "Femme Fatale" Era (Britney Spears): ~ 6 million digital tracks
    "Circus" Era (Britney Spears): ~ 10 million digital tracks
    "All I Ever Wanted" Era (Kelly Clarkson): ~ 5 million digital tracks
    "Play On" Era (Carrie Underwood): ~ 5 million digital tracks
    "Carnival Ride" Era (Carrie Underwood): ~ 6 million digital tracks
    "Some Hearts" Era (Carrie Underwood): ~ 7 million digital tracks
    "Stronger" Era (Kelly Clarkson): ~ 3 million digital tracks
    "Talk That Talk" Era (Rihanna): ~ 3 million digital tracks
    "Loud" Era (Rihanna): ~ 10 million digital tracks
    "Recovery" Era (Eminem): ~ 6-7 million digital tracks
    "21" Era (ADELE): ~ 10 million digital tracks

I think we should focus on the differences between 2011 Billboard Year and Calender Year. She really has a harsh drop in sales, airplay and popularity in general. This is even more obvious over Pop audience. "Back To December" was once in like #4 on Overall Airplay, and at the 40s on iTunes, selling only over Platinum eventually.

Concert Stars
    don't forget alot of Taylor's sales are from the hype her label gets for her - her sales come from multiple rereleases, .99 sales and lots of other sales - I still think the million debut was manufactured for hype. I wonder what they will come up with next time - debuting her new single while she's riding up to the space station

As for Taylor going POP - she wouldn't get the awards - they submitted Back to December for POP vocal at the Grammy's and it didnt' get nominated so she has to stay in country to maintain getting awards by selling to POP audiences - I see why she is going back to co writing her songs for the next album- it looks like her songs on Speak Now weren't as strong only 1 made it to #1 in country

And if you see things on a global scale, there's no such thing as a Taylor Swift...

Concert Stars
    I honestly think she sells specifically to a core group. And the general public is just not interested but that core group is very committed.
    I also think that it will only take one person to come along and connect with young people and the Swift era will be gone in the blink of an eye.
    I think her writing and singing and production are so specific that if you don't absolutely love it than you just don't care about it. And the minute some other young lady comes along with a specific sound that young ladies will relate to, that sound that Swift has created will seem immediately dated and even gimmicky.
    And you cannot underestimate the fact that the huge difference between the ages of Swift and her fans just seems to grow and grow ever greater.
    HEr video for "Ours" puts her in a situation that her fans can not possilby relate to or care anything about. And if it was an attempt to "connect with an adult audience" it is not nearly "adult" enough.
    She is getting more and more poparized between children and adults. Both of which are having a harder time seeing themselves through her.
    But I don't think much is going to change between now and the next era (escept I imagine things will quiet down abit) until that new "flavor of the month" comes along. The one overwelming truth is that as singers like Carrie Underwood Miranda Lambert TBP and Sugarland continue to create an image of being legitimate aritsts and therefore will sell albums based on quailty as well as popularity, Swift has only and ever been a flavor of the month and try as they may Big Machine never really got society to buy into the idea of Swift and a child prodigy or genius. She is to most simply the lastest Hannah Montana and she will be replaced. The question is only when.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I honestly think she sells specifically to a core group. And the general public is just not interested but that core group is very committed.
    I also think that it will only take one person to come along and connect with young people and the Swift era will be gone in the blink of an eye.
    I think her writing and singing and production are so specific that if you don't absolutely love it than you just don't care about it. And the minute some other young lady comes along with a specific sound that young ladies will relate to, that sound that Swift has created will seem immediately dated and even gimmicky.
    And you cannot underestimate the fact that the huge difference between the ages of Swift and her fans just seems to grow and grow ever greater.
    HEr video for "Ours" puts her in a situation that her fans can not possilby relate to or care anything about. And if it was an attempt to "connect with an adult audience" it is not nearly "adult" enough.
    She is getting more and more poparized between children and adults. Both of which are having a harder time seeing themselves through her.
    But I don't think much is going to change between now and the next era (escept I imagine things will quiet down abit) until that new "flavor of the month" comes along. The one overwelming truth is that as singers like Carrie Underwood Miranda Lambert TBP and Sugarland continue to create an image of being legitimate aritsts and therefore will sell albums based on quailty as well as popularity, Swift has only and ever been a flavor of the month and try as they may Big Machine never really got society to buy into the idea of Swift and a child prodigy or genius. She is to most simply the lastest Hannah Montana and she will be replaced. The question is only when.
    YES YES YES. And I think the reason for her not having been replaced is because her competitors are gone in a one way or another, like in Country, Carrie; and in Pop, Miley Cyrus. And that no new forces have been emerged (yet). I have no faith in Miranda Lambert taking over her, but I see some hopes in Lady Antebellum. I suppose it's a done dea for Demi Lovato not being able to take over her, but Selena Gomez & the Scene is suddenly smashing on Pop so that could be her.

Some figures:

"Taylor Swift" Era:
    Singles: 10.211 million copies sold
    Albums: 6.208 million copies sold
    Total: 16.419 million copies sold (Track-Equivalent-Album: 7.2291 million copies sold)

"Fearless" Era:
    Singles: 17.907 million copies sold
    Albums: 6.419 million copies sold
    Total: 24.326 million copies sold (TEA: 8.2097 million copies sold)

"Speak Now" Era:
    Singles: 5.804 million copies sold (LOOK AT THE DROP!!!)
    Albums: 3.91 million copies sold (THE DROP!!!)
    Total: 9.714 million copies sold (DA DROP!!!!) (TEA: 4.4904 million copies sold)

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast