Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    And the same age as Adele is now. The maturity levels are just so glaringly different.

Don't forget the maturity levels of Taylor's fans vs Carrie's fans.......But yes our girl would NEVER!!!!! make a face when she lost an award........It doesn't bother her.........she doesn't live for the awards their not important to her........and when she does win she's very thankful for it.........sweet and humble about it........and never forgets the fans!!!!!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Country View Post
    Commentary: CMAs

I wouldn't take issue if the voters handed her awards for songwriting.
    Although I haven't heard enough of Taylor's songs to feel I could be wholly fair on that, what I have heard makes me doubt it.

I actually have no problem with her winning Entertainer of the Year - I think she probably is a good entertainer, who wows her audience at concerts, addresses her fans' concerns, and gives them an experience that forges bonds with her and with each other. If the voters feel she does all that in an outstanding way for the year they're basing their judgment on, I don't feel I'd have good grounds to dispute it - they know the Mainstream entertainment business a lot better than I do.

I'd have a real problem, though, with her winning Female Vocalist of the Year, and I don't think she's ready for Song of the Year. As I think you nearly all agree she's not a great vocalist, I'll try to explain why I haven't seen her yet as a great songwriter.

Although she's praised as a songwriter, I think it's more accurate to say she's a good lyricist. There's more to writing a good song than the lyrics - and what I've heard suggests that she's rather limited as a composer. Her musical lines seem to lack strength and variety, and I haven't seen much evidence of constructing the song around a good match between the instrumentation and the themes of the lyric. (Kimberly Perry made a better job of song construction, though I would have given the award to Matraca Berg and Deana Carter).

Let me give some examples. "Not Ready To Make Nice" is certainly not my favourite song by the Dixie Chicks, and I still think the theme was a mistake - but for all that, it's one heck of a well-written song, in the way the instrumentation moves between an introspective whisper, accompanied only by Keith's guitar, and a full scale clash of the full ensemble expressing frustration and desperation. Like it or hate it, it's a classic piece of writing. (It was nominated for Song of the Year at the 2006 AMAs, but lost out to James McMurtry's hypnotic and even fiercer piece of Texan resentment, "We Can't Make It Here Any More". The following year, it won three Grammys, for studio recording, songwriting, and performance.)

People have praised Taylor's "Ours" for simplicity - and it might be argued that a simple lyric doesn't need much emphasis on the musical composition. I disagree. Take for example the Drive-by Truckers' "Little Bonnie". Here I'd argue they're working outside their normal stylistic range, with a hauntingly plaintiff lyric. Patterson Hood's not the greatest vocalist in the world - but if you listen to the musical line, it's full of subtle variations, and gentle expressiveness in the instrumentation. Simplicity doesn't have to mean monotony.

Finally it might be argued that it's unfair to compare Taylor, as a solo singer, to songs written for groups. Groups can always find fertile ground for musical variation. I agree, that's valid, up to a point. But Carrie works well with her band, and I think her songs show more evidence of a co-operation between the lyric and the musical composition. "Temporary Home" and "Crazy Dreams" are two examples.

Take this as a parting example of another solo artist many of us love. This is actually the only song Hillary Lindsey herself has ever released commercially to disc (on a compilation album). Tell me this is not a great piece of writing, with the composition working hand in hand with the mood of the lyrics:

Concert Stars
    To me EOTY is an award for someone who not only Entertains the most people but also represents Country music in the best possible light.... Taylor represents herself using Country music as a means to enhance her career.... That being said she has a remarkable work ethic and a very magnetic personality that endears her to people.... Sometimes I think she has hypnotic powers that puts everybody in a trance right before she sings.....

Concert Stars
    For all the pro's and con's we can throw T's way, I think the article hits the nail on the head.
    The girl is a singer. She makes her living singing! She is in a very competative industry of singers. She goes up against other singers for awards.
    IT IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK THAT SHE BE EXPECTED TO BE ABLE TO SING.
    Yes, songwriting is her strength. But I agree with faraway that it is not an exceptional ability that she is showing. I think we can all agree that when she was 14 and under the direction of a professional songwriter (L.Rose) she was having great moments as a CO-songwriter and probably sharpening her teeth on the craft.
    But since then she basically churns out the same song over and over again but with different tempos and treatments from the album producer. If anyone deserves awards around her it is her production people. From all area's of her career her production people (studio/tour/video/marketing)
    are all doing an amazing job of making this girl look and sound like a superstar.
    But when it comes back down to the CMA voters voting for the most entertaining person in the industry it is a outright shame to Call Taylor Swift your most entertaining artist.
    Plane Crashes are entertaining if entertaining means you can't take your eyes off the screen. Muggings are entertaining if you count the number of hits they get on youtube. Barney the Purple Dinosaur is entertaining if you count the number of tickets that were sold to his live concerts series.
    And Album sales? Really? I don't need to go there as far as what kid's buy that has nothing to do with musical quality.
    So what again makes her country's most entertaining person if she can't sing?
    She is a profecssional singer among professional singers. I don't wish to take from her her popularity among kids. But can the adults in the room please pull themselves together and use some discression here?
    Please?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    To me EOTY is an award for someone who not only Entertains the most people but also represents Country music in the best possible light.... Taylor represents herself using Country music as a means to enhance her career.... That being said she has a remarkable work ethic and a very magnetic personality that endears her to people.... Sometimes I think she has hypnotic powers that puts everybody in a trance right before she sings.....
    I agree with you that someone who wins EOTY needs to be someone who entertains but also represents country music in the best possible light, that being said not every voter is going to see things the same way that any artists fan base wants them to see it as and they are going to have their own opinion on what is or what isn't "entertaining" and have their own opinion on what is or what isn't representing the industry in the best possible light.

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    And the same age as Adele is now. The maturity levels are just so glaringly different.
    ADELE is actually 23 or 24 now though. She named her album "21" because she started writing it when she was 21.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    GADS!!!!!!! A friend just told me that Swift brought Flo Rida on stage with her in Miami. IS SHE NUTS???? She has a crowd of screaming kids and she is (trying) dancing around with him and singing his song (pretty bad words for kids) "You spin my head around when you go down, when you go down". WOW---- what parent wants their young kids to hear this---or sing the words? What the he$$ is she thinking? This needs to be posted all over the place and maybe SOME PEOPLE will have a wake up call. Roll model??? I don't think so at all. Just thought you all would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    ADELE is actually 23 or 24 now though. She named her album "21" because she started writing it when she was 21.
    It doesn't really matter, since I'm referring to her songs and music, which were written and recorded at 21/22, the same age Taylor is now. The material she wrote and recorded at that age is light years ahead of Taylor Swift's material that she has at the same age.

Concert Stars
    ^^Wow. I wonder if this is her way of showing everyone she's "growing up"? Huge difference going from fairytales and princesses to that!

Concert Stars
    I'm sure eventually the Taylor sheen will wear off with fans - she should hardly be the face of country music but people look at her and say isn't she just the cutest thing and don't really care if she can sing or not - I've read posts like that. If they only knew what she's really about -sexy dancing on stage with POP, rock and R&B singers but they don't see that and the awards are really a product of labels bartering for their wins, it has nothing to do with quality but more with $$$$$$. The youtube video Taylor Swift singing with Hayley Williams of Paramore at her concert showed me who she really is - I wouldn't be surprised she gets herself in a Hollywood scandal someday.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    The SWSRN fans on Vh1 are reading this thread on the Carrie board there acting like a bunch of crybabies!!!!

I have no idea why her fans have so much money. It's obvious that her songs are not really liked by the public, and that they went #1 on iTunes because of her core fanbase (They always have massive free falls after some days -- even "Mine"). I understand that a song costs only $1.29, but her fans also buy every version of her albums and tour tickets! And I thought the US has no money!

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Yep------this is my almamater's newspaper. I was going to post it here but someone got to it first---thanks. Swift nor Lambert is popular here on campus. I was proud of Jami for telling it like it is. Hope you all got a kick out of it like we did. See Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So you went to OSU? I did too....just haven't graduated yet. 4 of the best years of my life.

Junior Carrie Follower steven77571's Avatar
    I don't get why Taylor got these big liscensing promos (fan magazines, dolls, 3 TV specials,) and Carrie got diddly squat! So what about the age factor here? People act like there is a curse on Carrie because she married Mike Fisher. Perhaps it may not have been last year's biggest-grossingt tour, one of the Play On tour dates should have been televised (a friend of mine told me Carrie's show was the best concert
    he had seen since Garth Brooks played Houston in 1998). I would rather watch Carrie rise up on the stage in her black tuxedo singing "Cowboy Casanova" than Swift's marching-band opener because she's not trying to re-create the music video for the song. What I mean by this, more people should give Carrie a little more R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Taylor wouldn't be where she is now if it weren't for Carrie, Shania, Faith or Reba, and needs to realize that. If you asked Lauren Aliana, Miranda Lambert or Kellie Pickler who was responsible for the current wave of female hitmakers, they would say Carrie Underwood. I'll guarantee it.

Concert Stars
    ^^ There's a big difference between Taylors travelling POP extravaganza Broadway circus compared to Carrie's PLAY ON country music tour It is a matter of taste but I guarantee that most of the CMA voters never saw the TS concert and had no idea what they were voting for - yes Taylor enthralls thousands of screaming teenagers but does that mean that it is the best country music has to offer ???? yikes! she is in no way the face of country music by any stretch of the imagination - 2 country songs on Speak Now?? - POP song versions, R&B singers at her concerts?? - where does the country music come in?? Judging by the reaction I've been hearing from the country community grapevine on this latest award win her future career in country may not be as bright - why should tickets and CDs sold to POP fans beget country awards?? Taylor is about as country as Simon Cowell wearing a cowboy hat!

^^
    As for the promo junk like dolls, perfume etc it's usually the artist themselves that iniate it- that's not who Carrie is, she's not into making money like that - she has her merchandise attached to her music career - I'm sure Carrie was offered the same products to put her name to as Taylor but Carrie is a musician and I would be surprised if she ever got into selling products like that. Maybe where the proceeds went to her charity like Paul Newman did, now I could see Carrie doing something like that

Concert Stars
    Carrie should at least do a perfume line as that is a respectable thing to do-- and every celeb has one. It would be a way to increase her brand without embarassing herself like taylor with sparkly guitars and toys.

I swear Carrie's marketing team needs to get out of the dark ages and take some chances this era. Ie-- do the Target ads again, a deluxe edition and do different talk shows for once, not only the same ones. Try something new! Do a Tour DVD someday. Get her a twitter account run by the label at least to promote her on twitter, even if Carrie doesn't want any part of it. They could announce tour dates and pre-sales and stuff like that.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Carrie should at least do a perfume line as that is a respectable thing to do-- and every celeb has one. It would be a way to increase her brand without embarassing herself like taylor with sparkly guitars and toys.

I swear Carrie's marketing team needs to get out of the dark ages and take some chances this era. Ie-- do the Target ads again, a deluxe edition and do different talk shows for once, not only the same ones. Try something new! Do a Tour DVD someday. Get her a twitter account run by the label at least to promote her on twitter, even if Carrie doesn't want any part of it. They could announce tour dates and pre-sales and stuff like that.
    Simon & Ann either need to do a better job of marketing their client or they have brought those ideas to Carrie and she isn't interested in doing it.
    Last edited by JB172; 11-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

I would think Carrie's team has brought her some ideas, but maybe she just isn't interested in developing perfumes or clothing lines or anything like that. She is very focused on her music and that's what she loves; I would be surprised if she wanted to do any side projects at this point. Developing any kind of new product takes a lot of time and energy, on part of the artist and the marketing team; perhaps she doesn't feel like that's something she wants to devote her extra time to at this point in her life. She's still young and is finally at a point where she can call some of her own shots; Carrie seems to value her personal life outside of her music more than anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if she nixed any big projects or put them on hold for the future.

Based on the way Carrie has talked in the past year, it sounds like she is putting everything she has into her music at this point, and she won't rest until she makes the best album she can; her music seems to be her only career priority these days. Carrie is also a perfectionist, and we know she would put all of her energy into whatever she was doing at the time. By the way she has talked about the new album, I'm almost positive Carrie wouldn't take on any huge projects because she wants to focus on the album right now.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of Carrie branching out in the future, but she has plenty of time to do things like that. I'm fine with her focusing on the music if that's where her heart is right now. I do feel if Carrie was truly interested in doing something else, she would've spoken up by now. If anything, I'd think her team probably has suggested numerous side projects because they know Carrie is a marketable name and anything she attaches her name to will sell. When Carrie is ready to do something outside of her music, it will happen, but if she's not ready that's OK. She has earned the right to call the shots about what she does and does not want to take on.

PS- Carrie needs to do a perfume line "because every celeb has one?" Carrie should do something because she wants to, not because she wants to fit in. Just had to comment, because that sentence caught my eye. We know Carrie wouldn't do that kind of thing for the sake of money.

Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 11-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post

Take this as a parting example of another solo artist many of us love. This is actually the only song Hillary Lindsey herself has ever released commercially to disc (on a compilation album). Tell me this is not a great piece of writing, with the composition working hand in hand with the mood of the lyrics:

I heard this song might have been offered to Carrie before and/or this song was going to be put on Hillary's own album. But, I think Hillary hasn't released (or made) the official album yet so I wonder if there's a chance of this song being on Carrie's list. I so wish she would record this song!
    Imagine Carrie's vocals on this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    [B]

I would think Carrie's team has brought her some ideas, but maybe she just isn't interested in developing perfumes or clothing lines or anything like that. She is very focused on her music and that's what she loves; I would be surprised if she wanted to do any side projects at this point. Developing any kind of new product takes a lot of time and energy, on part of the artist and the marketing team; perhaps she doesn't feel like that's something she wants to devote her extra time to at this point in her life. She's still young and is finally at a point where she can call some of her own shots; Carrie seems to value her personal life outside of her music more than anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if she nixed any big projects or put them on hold for the future.

Based on the way Carrie has talked in the past year, it sounds like she is putting everything she has into her music at this point, and she won't rest until she makes the best album she can; her music seems to be her only career priority these days. Carrie is also a perfectionist, and we know she would put all of her energy into whatever she was doing at the time. By the way she has talked about the new album, I'm almost positive Carrie wouldn't take on any huge projects because she wants to focus on the album right now.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of Carrie branching out in the future, but she has plenty of time to do things like that. I'm fine with her focusing on the music if that's where her heart is right now. I do feel if Carrie was truly interested in doing something else, she would've spoken up by now. If anything, I'd think her team probably has suggested numerous side projects because they know Carrie is a marketable name and anything she attaches her name to will sell. When Carrie is ready to do something outside of her music, it will happen, but if she's not ready that's OK. She has earned the right to call the shots about what she does and does not want to take on.

I think that they have brought her ideas of doing this or that but she isn't interested in doing it.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12