Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Full audio of the AMAs

Those of you who follow the Roots side might like to know that you can hear the full broadcast of this year's AMA awards from the Ryman here:
    The 2011 Americana Music Association Awards : NPR
    There were performances by Alison Krauss, the Civil Wars, Elizabeth Cook, as well as most of the winners.
    There's also a photo slide show on that page.

Buddy Miller won Artist of the Year, and also Instrumentalist of the Year. (He now has 12 AMA awards, either singly, or jointly with his wife, Julie.

Here's a video of him singing one of his best known trademark songs "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go", accompanied by Julie, who wrote the song.
    (which has also been covered by Miranda Lambert)

Album of the Year also went to Robert Plant's "Band of Joy" (which Buddy produced).

Song of the Year went to Justin Townes Earle's "Harlem River Blues" (Justin is the son of Steve Earle)

(In this video, by the way, you can also see one of my favourite bass players, Bryn Davies, who has also played with the Rowan-Rice Quartet and with Patty Griffin). She also joins in harmony vocals.

Other winners included the Avett Brothers (Duo/Group of the Year), and Mumford and Sons (Emerging Artists)
    Lifetime Achievement Awards went to Lucinda Williams, Greg Allman (who is recovering from a liver transplant), Muscle Shoals record producer Rick Hall, and the BBC's radio presenter, Bob Harris (who's been a long time supporter of Roots Country Music)

I was disappointed, though, that, despite three nominations, Elizabeth Cook won nothing on the night. Sadly for fans, these things do happen - many artists feel that the nominations are the best accolade, as it's very difficult to judge very diverse artists to decide an overall winner

Concert Stars
    Thanx for posting this. I actually enjoyed both songs.

I had no idea that Mumford and Sons was considered Americana? I thought of them as sort of an alt rock type band. lol Love them!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Well, I'd agree they seem a rather odd fit for the format (but, then, no one seems able to agree on a satisfactory definition of what Americana actually is!). I think of them as an English Progressive Folk band. . The very British sounding "Winter Winds" is probably recognizably close to the deep roots of much Appalachian music, which lies at the heart of modern Americana; they include themes like "Dust Bowl Dance" which are linked to American history (and contain "angry" lyrics similar to some Roots Country songs); one of their members plays banjo and dobro, and includes the nickname "Country" in his name; and they credit Nashville with inspiring their recent songwriting. I guess all of that is enough to get them in, (but I would have given the award to the Civil Wars...) Lol

The PBR broadcast at the link I posted lasts two and a half hours - that's too much for me at one stretch, but I recorded it - and there is some great music, well worth replaying in smaller chunks!

•