Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Christina Aguliera New Album Era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Christina Aguliera New Album Era

I know Christina doesn't have a current album out right now, but there's some news about the new album and such, so I thought it'd be appropriate to start a thread.

Christina performs "Smile" at the Micheal Jackson Tribute concert:

Smile: Audioboo / Christina Aguilera - Smile (Live at Michael Forever)

Performing MJ's Dirty Diana:

An ad for her new fragrance, "Secret Potion."

Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 10-09-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Concert Stars
    So happy for a new album. I was not a fan of Bionic...

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Bionic. Granted, it wasn't a traditional Christina album or anything like her previous work. But, I feel as though it has some very strong songs. You Lost Me, Prima Donna, Desnudate, Vanity, Bionic...just to name a few. I also hate that people were so quick to say that Christina was just doing this to jump on the GaGa bandwagon. Shortly after Back to Basics was released, Christina was quoted as saying that her next album would take a futuristic approach. Back To Basics came out well before Lady GaGa arrived on the scene, so I hate that people say this just because GaGa was the IT girl at the time of the album's release. However, I do hope that Christina goes back to her Stripped roots for her fifth album. Songs like The Voice Within, Fighter, Can't Hold Us Down, Infatuation, Loving Me For Me, Beautiful, and Keep On Singing My Song. Those are the types of songs that Christina needs to release. I'm not saying that she should not try new things, but I don't think that she should venture too much from her formula. I mean...you don't see Carrie releasing a song like California Gurls or another pop song just to try something new. That's what Christina went for with Bionic. She ditched her traditional R&B/jazz flavored pop for electro/house music. Heck, the Burlesque soundtrack performed better than Bionic, and that was due to the fact that those songs seemed to fit Christina's image than songs like WooHoo and Not Myself Tonight (although I love both of those songs). All in all, I'm hoping that this new era brings Christina back to the spotlight

Concert Stars
    I completely agree.

Although I don't think "Bionic" is Christina's best album, it didn't deserve the negative reception it received, IMO. Some of the ballads are among the best of her career, in my opinion. "I Am," "Stronger Than Ever," "Prima Donna," "Little Dreamer."

I remember when Christina mentioned she wanted "Bionic" to have a futuristic approach, and it was inspired by the birth of Max, way back in 2008. She had the idea for the record way before Gaga's songs became popular.

I usually try not to judge artists but their fans, but Gaga's are so incredibly over-the-top; they constantly bash Christina for no reason.
    I don't know if "Bionic" would've performed better if Gaga hadn't been around, but I do think the comparisons hurt the album's performance.

The thing that irritates me is the album underperformed because of the Gaga comparisons, but Xtina fans know she had a vision for the album well before Gaga became popular. They didn't even bother to get the facts straight before spreading lies.

Christina has always created albums that are each different from the last; "Bionic" was a continuation of that, and it's a shame it was taken the wrong way.

Concert Stars
    I liked alot of the songs on Bionic, including the lead single. I didn't like "woohoo" lol but otherwise it was a decent album. I feel like it got the shaft too soon.

I think the problem was that Lady Gaga was blowing up right around the time that Christina's album came out, so everyone was so wrapped up in Gaga that they sort of overlooked Christina's project.

It is kind of like what happened with Carrie's Play On album. It was a very good album, but it came out right when SWSRN was blowing up with Fearless and the whole Kanye thing, and then Miranda's THTBM blew up--- so Carrie got overlooked for the PO era.

Hopefully both Carrie and Christina can come roaring back with their next albums.

Concert Stars
    "Wohoo" is....yuck.

Trashy. But Christina has always been very open about body image/sexuality in her music, so it wasn't totally out of left field.
    I love her voice, and although I hope she can make a comeback with her next album, I'm a little skeptical.

Pop music fans aren't nearly as loyal as country fans, which hurts every aspect of their careers, especially longevity. If people are tired of Christina, it could be for any number of reasons, including the fact that Gaga is the current "queen" of pop. I doubt pop fans are going to go back and take a listen to her music simply because she's back in the spotlight, unless she comes out with a new smash single that radio will actually play.

In addition, pop music doesn't seem to be as much about the vocal talent as it used to be; Christina's golden days were when she could be heard alongside Whitney and Mariah, but now great vocalists seem to be in a tough spot. Either they go along with the popular autotune/tween pop craze and risk being called a "sell out" by loyal fans, or they go with what they're used to, and risk not being "relevant" enough.

"Not Myself Tonight" fell off the radar fairly quickly, and it doomed the entire era.
    Luckily "Berlesque" is doing really well in DVD & soundtrack sales worldwide (according to figures over at Pulse).

Although I don't usually think of an entertainer's personality as having anything to do with their success (or lack therefore of), Christina's notorious "diva" reputation seems to continue to hurt her.
    She never had positive reputation in the business, but her talent/music was so great, it seemed to overshadow that. Now, Christina's still known as a b*itch, and it's likely most pop fans have found someone else they'd rather support.

She's now looking pretty promising with "Moves Like Jagger" smashing day and night and The Voice coming strong next year, but she really needs to get a solo hit asap to establish herself for the album.

I think she wouldn't necessarily need to do everything all over again cuz her soundtrack almost goes over 500k copies actually.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    She's now looking pretty promising with "Moves Like Jagger" smashing day and night and The Voice coming strong next year, but she really needs to get a solo hit asap to establish herself for the album.
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post

I think she wouldn't necessarily need to do everything all over again cuz her soundtrack almost goes over 500k copies actually.
    I don't know; Christina has a very small part of "Moves Like Jagger," and, if I recall, Maroon 5 does very well with digital single sales. I can't help but wonder if the success of the song is due to Maroon 5's popularity, or simply because a lot of the public seems to have suddenly taken a renewed interest in Christina due to "The Voice." Who knows how long that will last; I agree she needs to get an album out soon if she wants to keep riding her wave of success.

Judging by the negative reception Christina's personality seems to have generated on "The Voice," I doubt her stint as a judge will win her many new fans that will go out and buy her album.

But, I've been following Christina's thread at Pulse, and it seems as if she's taking a different approach with this album, which could do very well for her.
    Someone mentioned Christina has said this album will be more like "Stripped," which is a fantastic album, so hopefully that approach would pay off. I've also heard Christina is working with a vocal coach (finally! Everyone knows she can sing, but she needs to learn to use her voice), and there's also speculation we'll probably be waiting two years for a new album, instead of the standard four.

Considering "Bionic" was pretty much a dud in every way, I would be surprised if this wasn't true.

Concert Stars
    Stripped is my favorite Christina album. It was great. I hope she comes back strong as I am tired of bad singers ruling the music world. (not counting Gaga who can actually sing, or Pink who has a good voice, or of course, Kelly Clarkson, who rocks). But Katy Perry has a pretty "meh" voice live, as does Rihanna and of course, Tonedeaf Taylor. I love Katy Perry and Rihanna's music though. I just wish they were better live vocally. Keisha is hard to say as I have never heard her live.

I want there to be a new trend with only good vocalists applying...thank you very much. lol But I doubt I will get what I want as the tweens seem to actually think Taylor is a good singer. They have no freakin' clue what real singing is, sadly. So if this is the new generation of music fans, good luck to the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    [B]

I don't know; Christina has a very small part of "Moves Like Jagger," and, if I recall, Maroon 5 does very well with digital single sales. I can't help but wonder if the success of the song is due to Maroon 5's popularity, or simply because a lot of the public seems to have suddenly taken a renewed interest in Christina due to "The Voice." Who knows how long that will last; I agree she needs to get an album out soon if she wants to keep riding her wave of success.

Judging by the negative reception Christina's personality seems to have generated on "The Voice," I doubt her stint as a judge will win her many new fans that will go out and buy her album.

But, I've been following Christina's thread at Pulse, and it seems as if she's taking a different approach with this album, which could do very well for her.
    Someone mentioned Christina has said this album will be more like "Stripped," which is a fantastic album, so hopefully that approach would pay off. I've also heard Christina is working with a vocal coach (finally! Everyone knows she can sing, but she needs to learn to use her voice), and there's also speculation we'll probably be waiting two years for a new album, instead of the standard four.

Considering "Bionic" was pretty much a dud in every way, I would be surprised if this wasn't true.

I don't mean to say MLJ revives her career or that she has fans. I mean her soundtrack sold fairly well so it's not like she's totally unknown. But I thought she got positive reception from the Voice?

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    [B]

This excites me! Stripped is most definitely my favorite Christina album (Bionic would land in the #2 spot for me, actually). But like I said earlier, that album is what Christina is all about. The self-empowerment songs, the sexual songs, and the songs that show off her voice. Those are Christina's bread and butter. And the fact that we won't be waiting as long is just icing on the cake

As for the MLJ comments...I think that this will somewhat work in Christina's favor. Yes, her part is small in the song. But the hype that was built around this song before its release was the fact that she was on the track with Maroon 5. It blew up shortly after because of not only how catchy the song was, but because of the fact that it represented the type of music that people wanted out of BOTH Christina and Maroon 5. Maybe there will be some songs like this on the new album...

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thank you for creating this thread. I would love a new Christina album. She has an AMAZING voice and I really love all of her albums with the exception of her first which I think was just too young for me. I love Stripped but I actually think that Back to Basics is her best album. Does it have the strongest number of songs that could be singles? no, but I love the album. I bought Bionic and listened to that album like crazy when it was out. I think Not Myself Tonight was a great song and would have performed better if not for the video perhaps. You can not make a pop video today without a fan of another pop star saying it is a rip-off but Not Myself Tonight just got hammered as ripping off Bad Romance. There are many songs on Bionic that I love and I do think that the perception at the time that she was ripping off Gaga (which as stated above was not true not to mention that the album was complete many months before it was released with the exception of Not Myself Tonight but was being held back b/c Christina was working on Burlesque) and the negative perception of her personality helped kill the album. The album has strong, strong ballads. These are break your heart ballads in my humble opinion and sung with such restraint. It also has some great upbeat songs with Not Myself Tonight, Bionic, Prima Donna, I Hate Boys, etc. It also had some really off-beat original offerings with Elastic Love, Birds of Prey, Monday Morning (the latter two from the Deluxe edition). I think Woohoo has a great beat and Christina sounds great but I don't care for the subject matter. I wish she would steer away from being so overtly sexual.

I also bought the Burlesque soundtrack and I love it. Christina's covers are great and I love the ballad Bound to You (another Sia Furler collaboration). I also love Express, Show Me How You Burlesque and especially The Beautiful People (sampling from Marilyn Manson - weird but it worked). I personally also love the movie.

I agree that Christina needs to be a little more careful with this next album. She needs to play it safer b/c her last album did fail basically. She has not had great public relations over the last year which has hurt her image and where The Voice launched Blake Shelton, I think it just further cemented Christina as being a diva. She needs help with the way she presents herself. Basically the material will have to be undeniable b/c "people" (non-fans, fans of other artists) basically appear to want her to fail.

I actually used to like her A LOT but for some reason other than "Genie In A Bottle" and "Beautiful", all her other songs burnt out on me roughly around the same time as the "Bionic" disaster started...

But then I started to like her again with MLJ so judging from personal experience it's actually doing something for her.

Concert Stars
    Great post, Quincey; I agree with most of what you've said. I grew up listening to Christina's music, so I love all her albums, including the first.
    I got away from her music (and pop music in general), until I fell in love with "Ain't No Other Man."

But I didn't really take a renewed interest in her music until "The Voice." I actually loved that they had the judges perform, because it made me a Christina fan again. She has an outstanding, outstanding voice. Since then, I have bought singles from all her albums, and I'm hoping to buy the few I don't have when I have the money to do so.

I really respect Christina for taking a different approach to each of her albums; her first focused on her teen pop image, "Stripped" allowed her to explore her sexuality/empowerment as a woman, Back To Basics had the old-school jazz feel, and "Bionic" was a step into the future.

I love that Christina likes to explore herself as an artist, and doesn't want to be stuck in "pop diva with the big voice" mold.
    She could very easily made the same type of album had she wanted to, but I respect her for taking risks and not playing it safe, as some might expect or want her to. It shows that she actually cares about being her own artist, instead of just putting out radio hits.

Christina's best asset is her voice, but I do like that she attempts to mix up her output as an artist. Every artist should be able to experiment to what works for them and what doesn't. Obviously, "Bionic" didn't work so well, but I give Christina credit for creating an album like that.

It's a shame that it came around the time Gaga become popular, and people assumed she was copying her, then there was the Superbowl flub & her breakup (a lot of people seemed to believe the rumors that she cheated on Jordan with Matt while she was still married).
    I don't think it was one thing that hurt "Bionic," but a bunch of events that happened around the same time.

I've noticed a lot of people like to hate on Christina because of her personality, and the chaos and rumors swirling around her breakup/ album release just made people loathe her that much more.

At this point, I think it'd be Christina's best to make a more stripped (no pun intended), down album that focuses on her voice. Get rid of the songs about boys vanity, bobbleheads, etc. Christina is a mature, grown woman who has never been afraid to sing about her life and her experiences. In my opinion, "Bionic" didn't have the intimate, empowering elements her previous albums did, and maybe the buying public caught on. The songs on "Bionic" don't show us who Christina is or what she's about, and that has always been a key element to her music & her connection with her fans.

If it was Gaga, Katy or Taylor it'd be acceptable because they've never strayed far from who they are as artists. Christina not only chose songs that were below her talent, but she allowed the music to paint her in a fairly negative way, which is not something I could've said about any of her previous albums.
    The songs any artist chooses represent them as an artist (and as a person) to most fans; when Christina records songs like "Vanity," "I Hate Boys," and "Wohoo," she's allowing herself to be shown not as a sexual, self-assured powerful woman, but as an object that is vain and as plastic as the very artists she is moking on some of the songs on "Bionic."

Considering Christina's image is about as far away as you can get from using women as sexual objects & singing about vanity and boys, I can see why most of her fans (and general public) didn't buy this album. Fans want the artist they can relate to, not the one they don't know.

I do love the "Berlesque" soundtrack because those types of songs allow Christina to be shown at her best as an artist, not at her worst.
    My favorite tracks are "Bound To You," "Something's Got A Hold On Me" and "Guy What Takes His Time."

People who say Christina has no sense of emotion or toning it down in her music should listen to this soundtrack; after buying this album, I came to realize Christina actually has great control and timing of her voice. If she'd learn to channel those skills into her pop music, who knows what could come out?

Concert Stars

Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera's "Moves Like Jagger" stayed at #1 on the Global tally for a seventh week, with a minor 0.2% points increase. This has become her longest-reigning #1 single on the chart.

1. "Genie In A Bottle": 7 weeks

2. "What A Girl Wants": 1 week

3. "Lady Marmalade" (with also P!nk, Mya and Lil Kum): 9 weeks

4. "Beautiful": 5 weeks

*"Nobody Wants To Be Lonely" with Ricky Martin in lead got its #1 status cancelled after reviewing of data. It 'originally' enjoyed a week at #1.

ADELE's "Someone Like You" is far behind at #2, with a 5% increase. It will unlikely to be the song to dethrone MLJ since it has already finished smashing on most territories. However, the true threat comes from the #3 song, Rihanna's "We Found Love" (Featuring Calvin Harris), which increased 48% in points this part chart week and shall enjoy its first week of sales in the UK, where it debuted at #1 on the previous chart week, blocking MLJ for yet another week.

Concert Stars

Concert Stars

Concert Stars

Concert Stars
    This is what not to do if you want to make a positive impression, which you need to have a comback.
    What is she thinking? The last thing she needs is more negative press to influence her album sales; it'll be "Bionic" all over again.

What Were They Thinking?! Photos | What Were They Thinking?! Pictures - Yahoo! OMG!

•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast