Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

CMT Reveals Artists of the Year Honorees

Sadly, Carrie wasn't nominated this year. But congrats to Jason, Kenny, Lady A, Brad & Taylor.

Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Brad Paisley and Taylor Swift will be honored during CMT Artists of the Year, a 90-minute special premiering Dec. 13 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CMT. Criteria for choosing the five acts included music sales, country radio airplay, concert grosses as a headliner or co-headliner and video streams, searches and page views on CMT.com.

CMT : News : CMT Reveals CMT Artists of the Year Honorees

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    There really isn't any surprises in the five.

Concert Stars
    I'm actually kind of surprised Brad & Kenny made it on the list, to be honest.

Sure, Brad & Kenny sell concert tickets, but as far as album sales & overall impact (especially in 2011), I just don't see it.
    Kenny had one successful single, but he doesn't sell well digitally, and he really hasn't accomplished much outside of the touring world, save a platinum album and one mildly successful single.

Brad had a big hit with "Remind Me," but that was about it & a lot of its success was due to Carrie, IMO. She's a consistent seller of albums & singles, and her fans (and radio) were dying for something new from her.
    "Old Alabama" and "This Is Country Music" didn't really do much, either.

Even Lady Antebellum seems slightly out-of-place on the list this year. Outside of "Need You Now," none of the follow-up singles were huge hits, and they're still a headlining act, if I'm not mistaken. Although the opening numbers for "Own The Night" were impressive, it hasn't been out long enough to know if it's an album that will have staying power on the charts. None of their digital singles, outside of NYN, have gone gold or platinum yet, either.

In my opinion, if the criteria involves single, album, and digital sales, the nominees should be based on who has been the most successful through their current album era, not who has some momentum left from the previous one.

Concert Stars
    I can live with it but yes, I am alittle surprised by LA Kenny Brad. But if it is in fact based on numbers. Well, than, numbers don't lie.
    Not so surprised that Carrie is not visible here. But I am surprised that even in an off year that she would not rank pretty high on radio play and the 2nd half of a very large tour.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I was hoping CMT would choose to honor some different people this year instead of honoring just 2 new people, and 3 people we saw honored last year. Oh well...all acts are big names in country (as much as I hate to say that about Taylor lol).
    I hope Lady A actually performs one of their songs themselves this year since they had someone perform their song for them last year.
    I wonder if Carrie will appear to help honor Brad. I hope she does!
    I hope Taylor doesn't have all pop people honor her again because it honestly looks bad when other artists are given praise from others in country music and she only has people outside the genre.

Concert Stars
    ^Who do you guys think should be in there instead of Kenny, Brad and Lady A? Blake Shelton is really the only one that I can think of.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Wow Jason, Taylor, and Lady A returning to the Artist of the year special!

I can see why Carrie didn't get it, she just wasn't active in the music scene this year. But oh well.

Next year!

I'm glad Kenny at last got SOMETHING! it seems he works so hard and hardly ever gets awards and stuff.

And for Brad to be on it! Awesome! A great list of people this year!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    ^Who do you guys think should be in there instead of Kenny, Brad and Lady A? Blake Shelton is really the only one that I can think of.
    If it were my list I'd include these artists:

Luke Bryan
    Rascal Flatts
    The Band Perry
    Jason Aldean
    Brad or Taylor

I know a case can be made for all the artists nominated, but some don't seem quite strong enough to warrant it, in my opinion.
    Congrats to all the nominees though.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    TOBY KEITH will stick a boot up their A$$.... LOL He also had a couple of #1s and had the highest grossing tour.....

Concert Stars
    Ok here is the thing. I knew Carrie would not be nominated this year as she basically took the entire year off. They look at factors such as album sales, single sales, radio success, touring, internet activity, etc.
    Carrie did not tour, had very small album sales, only one song on the radio in 2011 (Remind Me), and she does not have twitter or anything, which directly hurts her at award shows now....
    t
    However--- I think it is a crock that they will just keep nominating Taylor and Lady A and the same people every year, as they will always have these kinds of sales, etc. They may as well give Taylor a permanent table at the award shows, as she will be back every friggin year--- which is a joke and an insult to country music since she is not even country.

I am glad Brad and Kenny are being honored this year....but feel bad that poor Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts got the shaft again.,

I guess next year-- it will be Taylor, Lady A, Jason, hopefully Carrie, and Miranda or Keith Urban or Rascal Flatts. How boring to do the same people every year. Blah!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

If it were my list I'd include these artists:

Luke Bryan
    Rascal Flatts
    The Band Perry
    Jason Aldean
    Brad or Taylor

I know a case can be made for all the artists nominated, but some don't seem quite strong enough to warrant it, in my opinion.
    Congrats to all the nominees though.

Kenny had massive touring numbers in 2011, and also decent album sales...plus good radio charting, so I can see why he made it in. Same with Brad. I think Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban got the shaft though.

^^ True that Toby Keith and Blake Shelton should have been considered. Miranda had a much quieter year in 2011 then 2010, but I still think they should have honored her instead of SWSRN again. yuck.

If Taylor is at this freakin' show every year, count me out.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Nothing against LA but I would have thought Rascal Flatts would have been there this year instead of them. Also, surprised Keith Urban is not selected either.

What time frame is this supposed to be for? Is it from January 2011 up until now or some other time frame?

Concert Stars
    I think it is Calender year 2011---- which is why Carrie got the shaft. Her touring does not count for 2010.

CMT Artists of the Year :(

They just announced the artists of the year....Carrie's not one of them *sad face*

And yes, SWSRN got one of the 5 spots.

Other ones are Jason Aldean, Lady A, Kenny Chesney and Brad.

I know this isn't really 'about' Carrie, but I had to post it somewhere

Concert Stars
    I started a thread about this a few hours ago.

Concert Stars
    Unfortunately, Carrie took 2011 off pretty much, so she didn't really do enough to be picked this year.

But it is annoying that SWSRN will be there every year. Ugh. Can't we ever get a break from her?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I started a thread about this a few hours ago.
    Oh, sorry, then

I'm surprised how bummed out I am by it....I kinda knew she wouldn't get it, but I was also hoping she would :/

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Unfortunately, Carrie took 2011 off pretty much, so she didn't really do enough to be picked this year.

But it is annoying that SWSRN will be there every year. Ugh. Can't we ever get a break from her?
    EXACTLY what gets me! SWSRN wasn't exactly active last year until October when SN came out (and the start of the year with her big win but EPIC FAIL performance at the Grammys)

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

This is exactly how I feel! I didnt expect Carrie to be picked I just wish SWSRN wasnt haha

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Oh, sorry, then

I'm surprised how bummed out I am by it....I kinda knew she wouldn't get it, but I was also hoping she would :/
    Oh, it's fine. Double threads are just a weird pet peeve of mine, for some reason. I'm not surprised by any of the nominees, but I don't agree with all of them, either.
    It'd be one thing if all the artists were chosen purely by hits on CMT, video views on their site, and such, but if all the other criteria factored in, I don't understand why they'd chose to nominate so many of the same artists two years in a row.

If they're going to claim this "award" is based on everything- album sales, concert gross, radio airplay & overall impact- some of these artists shouldn't be nominated again, IMO.

Most of the nominees had the brunt of their impact last year, or during the first half of this year.
    Nominating the same artists seems to say this is no different than any other award in Nashville- mostly political. It just seems like a way to give the same artists attention that, while nice for them, is not something that anyone else has a reason to care about.

I love awards shows just as much as the next country music fan, but this is getting out of hand. The ACA's, CMA's, CMT Awards, CMT Artist Of The Year Awards, ACM's. This is just silly; it almost seems like creating another "award" show is just a silly, pointless way for the "hot" artists to get more publicity they don't need.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast