Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

The most emotional performances in country music- opinions?

This piece from Country Universe got me thinking about my favorite performances of all-time in country music. The author feels like so many country performers are void of emotion, and don't connect with their lyrics/performances like some of the older country artists.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2011/...eone-like-you/

I completely disagree with this, and I think Carrie (and plenty of others), have provided us with moments we will be talking about for years to come.

Here are my picks, what are yours?

"Just A Dream" 2008 CMA's: This is not only one of my favorite Carrie performances, but also one of my favorite of all-time. The level of emotion Carrie displayed here is heartbreaking; Carrie feels this with all her heart.
    As Brad says, "Now that is what country music is all about."

"Jesus, Take The Wheel" 2006 ACM:

Carrie sings this song with so much emotion already, but the way she teared up at the end is so sweet.

"Temporary Home" 2010 ACM's: The arrangement of this performance combined with Carrie's personal connection makes this one of her best performances, IMO. This song & her performance represents everything that's great about country music.

"How Great Thou Art" Girls Night Out- If this doesn't bring you to tears, you have no heart. One of the best performances in country music in years, maybe ever.

A few others:

Kellie Pickler, "I Wonder" 2007 CMA's:

So sad. Makes me so thankful for my own wonderful Mom.

Sugarland, "Stay" CMA Awards.

Alan Jackson, "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning?)

Now I want to hear your picks. Go!

Tim McGraw's performance of "If You're Reading This" at the 2007 ACMs is also one of my favourites. I agree with your choices for Carrie, and also Kellie Pickler's "I Wonder" performance was heartbreaking.

Also, some of Carrie's concert performances have been incredibly moving. Of course, her dedication of TH to her late truck driver was perhaps one of her most emotional performances ever, made even more moving when you hear the audience singing along to help her finish the song. She also put in some very emotional performances of DFTRM during the CR tour in 2008.

Carrie's "Temporary Home" performance from the 2010 ACM Awards and her 2011 ACM Girls' Night Out "How Great Thou Art" performance are not only my favorite, they are so emotional. There have been some wonderful, emotional performances over the years in country music overall.

Concert Stars
    I have to say that I take this particular article alittle personally.
    I think Adele did beautifully and I think Carrie is one of the few in the industry today who is also doing that kind of singing.
    And I finding rather pointing that she is infact a country singer who very often has standout emotional performances at award shows and who happens to have been relevent for the "last several years".
    I don't know, it just sounds alittle pointed.
    But Carries JTTW was a moment for a decade.
    And I also agree with "If Your Reading this".
    Unfortunately for me Kellie's song somewhat fell apart so I am not able to give much credit to that.
    but it was certainly heart felt.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I definitely agree with all of the choices that everyone has posted so far. Each and everyone of them brings tears to my eyes every time I watch them.

This isn't country, but immediately a performance that came to my mind was this one:

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    For me, all the performances mentioned thus far are some excellent examples of emotional performances from some of country's finest, and are some of my favorite performances.

Trace Adkins with the West Point Cadet Glee Club - Til the Last Shots Fired...really gets me at about the 4 min mark, and when Trace removes his hat at the end:
    Trace Adkins and the West Point Cadet Glee Club USMA ACM 2009 - YouTube

I could not find Toby's ACM performance of Cryin' For Me, but here is a live concert video...stupid concert-goers laughing the background...seriously people? This is one of the best Toby songs, IMO...he really put his heart out there.
    "Cryin For Me" (Waymans Song) Toby Keith (LIVE FRONT ROW) - YouTube

For me, an emotional performance doesn't always mean tears. This performance of Tim McGraw singing Live Like You Were Dying is powerful. Tim pours himself into this song, and you can tell he means every word.
    Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying (LIVE) - YouTube

Brad and Allison - Whiskey Lullaby...how could a performance of this not be emotional?
    Brad Paisley & Alison Krauss - Whiskey Lullaby (LIVE) - YouTube

This is all I've thought of for now, but I might come up with more emotional performances to share later.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I agree with Carrie's performances...TH and HGTA are both absolutely stunning.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Sugarlandgirl4life's Avatar
    A million times YES to Trace!

And I know these aren't really fair to post right now, but they were what naturally came to mind:

And of course this one:

^^ Yes, every time I've seen Tim perform Live Like You Were Dying, he always puts so much emotion into it.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That is just typical garbage from Coyne, if he hates country music that much then he should just find something else to write about instead of b!tching about it as much as he does.

Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I agree with all of the ones posted above me so far, and disagree with the article about country stars not connecting with us. Go to a Carrie concert and then say country artists of today don't connect with their audience.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Meg,

I posted this thread because emotion doesn't have to mean tears; that was one thing that struck me about the column.

That was why I wanted to see what you guys think are the most heartfelt performances.

Great picks everyone.

A few more:

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Here's another one:

This is my absolute favorite performance of Keith's, ever.

Concert Stars
    I didn't see this one listed yet. Carrie's performance of Change for CNN Heroes was fantastic -- and emotional.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Here's Tim's 'If You're Reading This' in case someone hasn't seen it.

And I just watched the Trace Adkins one again, and it's so haunting when the West Point Glee Club starts to sing. It's incredible.

Carrie Follower
    i think it's really hard to beat this one. plus its tough to find a really good beatles cover.

Carrie Follower
    And this too, I know it's not the best quality, but it is still amazing.

Concert Stars
    Now you can't get more heartfelt emotion as this one!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Wonderful topic - thanks for posting!

I'd like to post two videos that I always find very moving - both tributes after the death of Townes van Zandt

First, Nancy Griffith, close to tears, with "Tecumseh" (her middle name is Caroline, and she regarded TVZ as her mentor. ). She gets through it with help from a perfect and sensitive accompaniment by James Hooker

Secondly, Steve Earle, with the song he'd written while touring in Ireland, when he heard of Townes' death. Kelly Joe Phelps accompanies on steel.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    And here's a contemporary song, by Tonya Watts, expressing her feelings after the attempt to ban homeless people from Downtown Nashville. It's from her great debut album "Handcuff My Soul". Waylon Payne appears with her in the video.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast