Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pistol Annies "Hell On Heels" Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I downloaded the album and have listened once. Not really liking anything but HOH yet, but I'll have to give it another listen.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    ^^I think the album is certainly not for everyone. Many fans of current country won't like the sound of this album. Personally, I'm a fan of classic and dirtier (for lack of better word) country. Of course, I love the more polished sound of many country artists today, too, but there is something about that more organic feel that really interests me.
    I hope the album grows on you as you listen more .

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Pistol Annies’ ‘Hell On Heels’ Debuts at No.1-Country Music Is Love

A tweet from Ashley today:

It's official!! Pistol annies sold over 44,000 records our first week!!! I am in shock. I can't take it. Thanks to everyone who believed.

Concert Stars
    Just saw this over at Pulse:

It sold nearly 42,000 copies most of those digital. They're now manufacturing them to make the album available in stores everywhere.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Hold onto your hats - but the Pistol Annies have made the AMA airplay chart!

They debuted at number 37 this week.

I suspect it has a lot to do with Ashley Monroe, but it is unusual to see a current Mainstream act in the Roots chart at all. Normally the two wings of Country Music can't agree on anything - but this year is seeing a couple of exceptions. First, both the AMA and the CMA nominated The Civil Wars for their award shows - and now the Pistol Annies are on both charts.

Concert Stars
    ^^It's nice to hear a few more traditional sounding acts getting mainstream attention, as well as getting respect from those that favor a more traditional sound.
    Perhaps this will make room for more traditional sounds to co-exist with the contemporary, and both being successful and getting the appropriate attention in the future. I'd love to see acts like Pistol Annies and Civil Wars get performance spots at the mainstream country shows while not losing the respect of traditionalists. I think it would be nice to actually showcase more sides to the country music landscape to a wider audience. People might like what they hear lol.

I agree - these are good signs, but there is a lot of mutual dismissal (We tend to get thought of as "Hippies, Hillbillies and Hasbeens" , lol). Not many fans listen to both sectors. One big festival (Stagecoach, in California) has tried to bring the two wings together, but from what I've heard, it hasn't really worked, as the fans tend to listen to their own artists and not mix much.
    The real traditionalists are probably respected - but the modern artists in the Roots sector are definitely a separate market.

This is the link to the AMA chart:
    Last Week AMA Chart

Concert Stars
    On CMT Canada, they air a show called Wide Open which features the music videos of the Roots artists and those that don't fit mainstream, contemporary mold. These videos often don't get aired during the rest of the day. This is an example of the divide that certainly exists. Steve Earle, for example, gets aired on Wide Open.
    I really hope that there are artists that can help bridge the gap between the traditionalists and contemporary. So many great artists exist in all country markets, and it's a shame that people don't get to experience it all.

Concert Stars
    Revamped Pistol Annie website they did a makeover of there site looks a lot better:Pistol Annies

Ty
    This is probably me favorite album of 2011.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I think it will be up for some awards but I find it too country and I like old country. I tried to listen to it several times to see if I wanted to buy it but I just could not get into it.

Concert Stars
    I listened to all the songs. I like it, but it's not something I'd play repeatedly. The harmonies are good though.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I listened to it a couple of times but just not digging it. Bring back the Dixie Chicks. THEY are what a girls band should sound like.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    I think it will be up for some awards but I find it too country and I like old country.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    I tried to listen to it several times to see if I wanted to buy it but I just could not get into it.
    I agree with you. I love new and old country music, but something about the sound of this record bothers me. I do love "Beige" and "Hell On Heels," but I didn't hear anything that would make me go out and buy the album.

I love Miranda's solo music, and I love Ashley's voice as well, so I was disappointed when I listened to the album and found out the other woman had lead vocals on most of the songs.

Verdict: Bring back solo Miranda, Ashley, please release a solo record, and please bring back The Dixie Chicks.

Fans of the Dixie Chicks might like to know that they are reuniting this month for a charity benefit, in aid of Texas wildfire victims (they were asked to appear by Ray Benson, of Asleep At The Wheel, who played with Carrie on the "Rose of San Antone" Grammy tribute - he's perhaps one of very few people who could have persuaded Natalie to break her hiatus.)

I think the Pistol Annies' project has some common ground with the Dixie Chicks' music, but differs from them in two other respects. Firstly all three Annies alternate singing lead - both on individual songs, and on verses within the same song. The Dixie Chicks have not done anything like that since their first two albums (when Robin and Laura used to alternate lead - and Robin with Patty Mitchell on some very early live appearances. On their Mainstream records, Emily and Martie never sang lead (which is why I find the Court Yard Hounds project so exciting.) Secondly, the Annies are not significant instrumentalists - it's very largely a vocal and songwriting collaboration. The Chicks/Hounds have always been instrumentally driven - something that made them almost unique among Mainstream female groups (and moving away from that was, in my view, one of the weaknesses of their last album).

The Annies have been called "too Country" - bur Carrie recently protested against that idea, and said you can't be too anything!,
    I agree - I love the Annies. The traditional feel that people have commented on is mainly in their voices, and in the "down home" themes of many of the lyrics. If you listen to the musical accompaniment, though, much of it sounds pretty modern - often more contemporary Country than Mountain Music. I'd say that Ashley and Angaleena's strong Appalachian background predominates in the songs, but Miranda's Texas background is more evident in the music.
    Interestingly, the only solo Miranda write ("Trailer for Rent")sounds very reminiscent of Sunny Sweeney to me.

Angaleena has two solo writes ("Lemon Drop" and "The Hunter's Wife"). I find her pretty impressive. (I posted two videos of her near the start of this thread)

My favourite track, though, is "Beige", where Ashley shows that mixture of vulnerability and heartfelt feeling that makes her, in my opinion, one of our leading young vocalists. The two most tragic songs on this album, "Beige" (Ashley & Miranda) and "The Housewife's Prayer" (all three) are really impressive pieces of writing.

I hope this project becomes permanent, and I look forward to a follow up (my only regret is that several of the songs, and the CD as a whole, seemed rather on the short side)

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I love Ashley and wish she could catch on as a solo Artist. I did buy Beige and like it. It is so true the Dixie Chicks were instrumentally driven as well as great songwriters and vocals. It is so a shame the yrs that has been wasted by a 15 sec banter to an audience.

Concert Stars
    When are the Dixie Chicks going to record a new album? dying. lol

I think the country audience is still pretty conservative, so the Dixie Chicks will unlikely to have successes in the future, I'm not surprise they're not recording an album for real...

Here's a picture of the Annies at tonight's BMI awards (left to right, Miranda, Angaleena, Ashley)

http://twitter.com/?photo_id=1#!/tuneinmusiccity/status/134059053545570304/photo/1

Thank you for posting!!

•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast