Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Pia Toscano Debut Album/This Time Era"

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

"Pia Toscano Debut Album/This Time Era"

Pia's new single "This Time" is now up on Amazon.
    Buy it, Pia fans!

Amazon.com: This Time: Pia Toscano: MP3 Downloads

Concert Stars
    I don't know about this song, her live performances of it don't show off her vocal ability

Ultimate Carrie Fan

Concert Stars

Pia's album will be released in November!!! So excited for this.

From MJ's blog:

Pia Toscano sang her single, “This Time” on Good Day New York this morning. After her performance, she revealed in a short interview that she’s finished 9 songs for her debut album that will likely be released in November.

Pia Toscano - This Time - Good Day New York | American Idol, Pia Toscano | mjsbigblog

Edit: From twitter:

Pia Toscano "This Time" Music Video! 3,308,650 Views! http://tinyurl.com/4y49opw

Congrats to Pia! That's huge!

Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 08-24-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Concert Stars
    Adorable picture of Pia & Lauren, posted on Pia's twitter:

Pia Toscano's photo "Me and my girl @lauren_alaina" on WhoSay

"This Time" is not going anywhere. She needs to release another single before the public loses all interests in her!

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^
    I can only listen to that song once in a while but I wish others had taken more of a liking to it. She had great opportunities to promote the single.

Concert Stars

Pia had good numbers for the single initially, but it's too bad "This Time" lost momentum so quickly.

I think Pia is kind of in a tough spot right now. Like Jordin Sparks & Christina Aguliera before her, Pia has a great voice, but people just don't seem interested in the music these great vocalists are recording.

If It's not the autuned, party anthem Katy Perry/Taylor Swift crap, it's chances of becoming a huge hit are slim to none.

Look at what happened to Jordin. A beautiful girl with a beautiful voice who did well in '07-'08, but now that her style of pop isn't "in" at radio anymore, she's struggling to stay relevant.

I love Pia, but I am kind of worried about her future as an artist. Hopefully even if she doesn't do extremely well she can still continue in the entertainment business as a smaller-scale artist who can act, design, sing, etc. Pia is a gorgeous girl with a magnificent voice; I may worry about her future in music, but I would think her future in entertainment is bright.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

Pia had good numbers for the single initially, but it's too bad "This Time" lost momentum so quickly.

I think Pia is kind of in a tough spot right now. Like Jordin Sparks & Christina Aguliera before her, Pia has a great voice, but people just don't seem interested in the music these great vocalists are recording.

If It's not the autuned, party anthem Katy Perry/Taylor Swift crap, it's chances of becoming a huge hit are slim to none.

Look at what happened to Jordin. A beautiful girl with a beautiful voice who did well in '07-'08, but now that her style of pop isn't "in" at radio anymore, she's struggling to stay relevant.

I love Pia, but I am kind of worried about her future as an artist. Hopefully even if she doesn't do extremely well she can still continue in the entertainment business as a smaller-scale artist who can act, design, sing, etc. Pia is a gorgeous girl with a magnificent voice; I may worry about her future in music, but I would think her future in entertainment is bright.
    I like her a lot too.

She is just a stunningly beautiful girl with that great voice but and it's a big BUT she has no swagger to her at all and I don't know if that is something she can find, I really hope that she can but I have my doubts.

Concert Stars
    ^I don't blame the non-success of "This Time" on not being what's in, I blame it on not being a very good song. Adele and the Band Perry are two recent examples of records that don't fit the mold of current pop music, but they've become hits on the format because they're just that good. Pia needs to get some stronger material, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    ^I don't blame the non-success of "This Time" on not being what's in, I blame it on not being a very good song. Adele and the Band Perry are two recent examples of records that don't fit the mold of current pop music, but they've become hits on the format because they're just that good. Pia needs to get some stronger material, in my opinion.
    Agree.

I also think that part of the problem is Pia's personality doesn't really "gel" with her musical direction. She's very very shy, quiet, holds back a lot etc... yet she's trying to be this sexy pop-star in her song (I get that feeling from This Time video).

If you look at the idols that found big success right out of the gate (Carrie, Kelly, Daughtry... even Adam), they are the ones who continue to do mainly the same type of music that they did while on Idol, with their music "connecting" to their personality.

JMO...

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Unfortunately, I can see Pia turning out to be another Katharine McPhee. I already see the beginnings of it: Just like Kat, the label is pushing Pia to play the sexy pop star role, and I'm sure her label will have her posing on magazine covers soon if they can. They are giving her less than stellar material that has zero resemblance to anything she did on Idol, just like Kat. I just hope they don't give her an over-the-top sexy CD cover like Kat's.
    Kat's image has changed quite a bit since that first album...sure she's undeniably sexy, but not in a forced way anymore. Plus, she is getting a new tv show, so I hope Pia's future holds good things for her, too, even if this first try doesn't work.

I admit that I don't really like This Time...it's kind of catchy when you hear it, but not something I'd rush out and buy. I hope the rest of her album is more appealing to me.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    If Katy, Taylor, Lil' Wayne, Rhiannah, and Britney can be successful based on catchy tunes and autotune, I can see why it'd be hard for Pia to be successful. Just because America is enamored with Adele right now doesn't mean they have good taste in all music. Just sayin...

I don't see why some people are saying "This Time" doesn't show Pia's direction as an artist.
    Considering that 99% of her performances were ballads, I don't see the connection. We still don't really know what direction she'll take on her album; it's nearly impossible to guess based on one single. Give her a chance and lets see where she takes this before judging her.

As for Kat, I wasn't a big fan of hers on Idol, but I saw her perform last year and she was amazing.
    She has really grown as a vocalist since Idol, and I didn't expect to be all that impressed.
    Her new album "Unbroken" is completely different from anything on her debut; it's not the manufactured pop music. These songs seem like ones she can get behind and enforce as an artist. Check it out if you're a fan of hers.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

If Katy, Taylor, Lil' Wayne, Rhiannah, and Britney can be successful based on catchy tunes and autotune, I can see why it'd be hard for Pia to be successful. Just because America is enamored with Adele right now doesn't mean they have good taste in all music. Just sayin...

I don't see why some people are saying "This Time" doesn't show Pia's direction as an artist.
    Considering that 99% of her performances were ballads, I don't see the connection. We still don't really know what direction she'll take on her album; it's nearly impossible to guess based on one single. Give her a chance and lets see where she takes this before judging her.

As for Kat, I wasn't a big fan of hers on Idol, but I saw her perform last year and she was amazing.
    She has really grown as a vocalist since Idol, and I didn't expect to be all that impressed.
    Her new album "Unbroken" is completely different from anything on her debut; it's not the manufactured pop music. These songs seem like ones she can get behind and enforce as an artist. Check it out if you're a fan of hers.
    I have "Unbroken", and love it. It is far better than anything RCA forced her to record on her first album. That was my point in connecting her with Pia. I hope Pia really speaks up, and records material she likes with her first album because if she doesn't it won't go well for her. As you mentioned with Kat, she seems like she can really stand behind the material on Unbroken whereas she now states that the first album wasn't really her at all.

To respond to your comment about not knowing what direction Pia will take based on her first single: I think that Pia's problem partly lies in the fact that people are a little confused about her. She was the ballad singer on Idol, in post-Idol interviews she said she wanted to go the pop/r&b route and now she is promoting a midtempo fluffy pop tune. People don't know who she is as an artist. This Time says absolutely nothing about who is as an artist or a person. This is actually a problem with many artists...they release a song that says nothing about the material they want to release, and expect it to do well. Often, it doesn't.
    Take Kat, for example, when she released Over It...that song said nothing about her as an artist, and quite honestly had zero connection to the rest of the album. The album was a disconnected glob of upbeat dancey songs, and sweeping ballads.
    I hope Pia has figures out who she is as an artist because she has the talent to make it big in the industry.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I have "Unbroken", and love it. It is far better than anything RCA forced her to record on her first album. That was my point in connecting her with Pia. I hope Pia really speaks up, and records material she likes with her first album because if she doesn't it won't go well for her. As you mentioned with Kat, she seems like she can really stand behind the material on Unbroken whereas she now states that the first album wasn't really her at all.

To respond to your comment about not knowing what direction Pia will take based on her first single: I think that Pia's problem partly lies in the fact that people are a little confused about her. She was the ballad singer on Idol, in post-Idol interviews she said she wanted to go the pop/r&b route and now she is promoting a midtempo fluffy pop tune. People don't know who she is as an artist. This Time says absolutely nothing about who is as an artist or a person. This is actually a problem with many artists...they release a song that says nothing about the material they want to release, and expect it to do well. Often, it doesn't.
    Take Kat, for example, when she released Over It...that song said nothing about her as an artist, and quite honestly had zero connection to the rest of the album. The album was a disconnected glob of upbeat dancey songs, and sweeping ballads.
    I hope Pia has figures out who she is as an artist because she has the talent to make it big in the industry.
    I agree it's difficult to say who Pia wants to be as an artist, but again, look at all the popular artists right now.

I can't say I know who Katy Perry & Lil' Wayne are trying to be as artists, but they have both manged to become two of the biggest stars in the industry.

I know Pia sang ballads on Idol, but she has also said many times that's just what she was comfortable singing; she said she wanted to stick with her niche.

She chose to sing those songs, so I'd argue they did represent who she wanted to be as an artist, even if America didn't buy it. I'd rather hear her sing songs that she's comfortable with than hearing her go way out of her comfort zone because other people were telling her who to be.

I think all the gossip about her personal life is hurting her as well. Idol fans know who she is, but the general public is probably turned off by all the attention she's getting, and probably thinking she's using Mark to benefit her own career.

Pia can't really win in this situation; either she releases an uptempo pop song and people say they don't know who she wants to be, or she releases another ballad and people criticize her for being a one-trick pony.

I think Pia has gotten the message that she cannot make a career off ballads, and hopefully her team will be smart with promo and try to get her a hit.
    She's a gorgeous girl who could land a variety of gigs in the industry if she wanted.

Hopefully, if music doesn't work out for her, she can still continue trying to make a living in entertainment & maybe eventually find a nice balance.

I really like "This Time" actually. I bought it. It's an ok song, won't really hurt her or anything. She can keep putting out singles until one clicks for a while.

Concert Stars
    I was watching TV just now & heard "This Time" playing in a promo for "The Good Wife."

I'm not sure if the song will be connected with the last season, but I thought it was cool.

Concert Stars
    I agree it's difficult to say who Pia wants to be as an artist, but again, look at all the popular artists right now.

I can't say I know who Katy Perry & Lil' Wayne are trying to be as artists, but they have both manged to become two of the biggest stars in the industry.
    I know what direction Katy Perry's going in. Fun, flirty, fluffy pop. Nothing wrong with that at all, I love Katy Perry, and she does have a 'musical direction.'

I think the best route for Pia may be to focus on Hot AC. There are tons of successful artists who are primarily Hot AC artists, and that way Pia can have some uptempo songs, but her music won't be such a departure from what people have come to expect from her based on Idol.

Concert Stars

They need to stop beating a dead Leona and release a new single asap.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast