Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyonce "4" Era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Beyonce "4" Era

People magazine has released B's deluxe album cover on their website which will include three new songs and video footage.

Beyonce's New Album: 4 : People.com

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I actually like this cover more than the real one. Im still excited for the album, but I dont feel as though the 3 songs I've heard so far have been really strong. I thought 1+1 was a really great song but not a single-esque song or anything (I dont think it was right? She just performed and released it?) Best Thing I Never Had is good, but its nothing that special, and I dont know why but I hate the Girls Run the World song, it just gets on my nerves. Anyways, Im still really excited for the album, I really like beyonce.

She's releasing the album in a weak week (her only competitor would be ADELE if Eminem fans still haven't realized that Bad Meets Evil is Em, for new releases, only Selena Gomez & the Scene) so she's very likely to going to get her 4th #1 album straight from the first, tying Britney Spears ("...Baby One More Time", "Oops!...I Did It Again", "Britney", "In The Zone" - "Blackout" debuted and peaked at #2), Miley Cyrus ("Hannah Montana (Soundtrack)", "Hannah Montana 2 (Soundtrack)/Meet Miley Cyrus", "Breakout", "Hannah Montana: The Movie (Soundtrack)" - "Hannah Montana 3 (Soundtrack)" debuted and peaked at #2), Alicia Keys ("Song In A Minor", "The Diary of Alicia Keys", "Unplugged", "As I Am" - "The Element of Freedom" debuted and peaked at #2) for the most back-to-back #1 albums from debut record. But "I Am...Sasha Fierce" opened with 'only' 480k copies with two hit singles released prior, and being released in the Thanksgiving week of 2008. Chances are that Beyonce may dive under 200k copies this time, following the footprint of the sudden sales drop of Christina Aguilera (from 360k copies of "Back To Basics" to 111k copies of "Bionic") and Miley Cyrus (from 216k copies in 10 days for "The Time of Our Lives" EP to 103k copies of "Can't Be Tamed"). Anyhow, if she manages to debut with just above 200k copies, she'd only be behind Lady GaGa ("Born This Way"), Britney Spears ("Femme Fatale"), ADELE ("21"), Wiz something (forgot the name) and Chris Brown (can't recall the name), which isn't shabby actually. But rumor has it that "4" will be done at $0.49 so who knows?

As a side note, "Run The World (Girls)" was pretty much DOA BUT actually is seeing some amazing longetivity despite the lack of airplay, "1+1" didn't go anywhere but it was only a promotional single so it's not supposed to, and "Best Thing I Never Had" is actually posing some pretty decent radio airplay gains right now, despite the lackluster sales performance. I personally only like the leaked track "End of Time" though.

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love the album. I have heard the entire album which leaked but have not heard the Target Deluxe version. I think there were a few songs that would have been better lead off singles. She has 4 up-tempo songs that I think would have done well and really hope will be released. Her Kanye produced song "Party" featuring Andre 3000 should definitely be released to urban but I think it is so good that it will cross over to pop. I think "Countdown" is really good and should be released to pop. "Love On Top" is very retro R&B feel good. I don't know if radio would embrace it but I love it. "End of Time" is also very good. The album is ballad-heavy which is fine with me. I'm glad to see Beyonce stepping out of the dance/pop phenomenon which is pop music right now. That is not to say that I don't like dance/pop b/c I do but I like to see Beyonce doing her own thing. Countdown To Beyoncé's '4' | The Official Beyoncé Site is releasing a song everyday from "4". It is releasing them in the order they are on the album. So - so far:
    1. 1+1
    2. I Care (great ballad)
    3. I Miss You (love this too)
    4. Best Thing You Never Had
    5. Party
    6. Rather Die Young

AOL is doing a listening party for the album and is releasing a new song there everyday but they are not in order ( Play Full Music Albums Free - AOL Music ). So far:
    1. I Care
    2. Best Thing I Never Had
    3. Rather Die Young (LOVE this)
    4. Love On Top
    5. End of Time (rumored to be her next single)
    Last edited by quincyeyes; 06-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I am a Beyonce fan and I love most of her work. I think the last few songs have not been as strong as the others. Hoping for a boost on the others on the album. The (?????) keep saying Britney is back but A friend now lives and works in Sacramento and went to see Britney's kick off concert and he said that Britney still does not sing live and her dance moves are awkward and he found himself looking at the props, etc. instead of listening or watching Britney. She has had a rough road to go and I was really hoping for something more--------------

Concert Stars
    I like Britney's most recent album but I have not been impressed with the videos. Dancing has always been her strength and now she seems to have basically given it up. I'm not sure what is going on. Obviously, you have to be in great shape to dance and I remember years ago watching something on MTV about her working out in preparation for touring (this was pre-children - not to date myself - lol). Obviously you still have to be in shape to dance in a video but I would not think it would be as demanding as being on tour. I'm not quite sure what that is. I was appalled at the Billboard awards when Britney joined Rihanna on S&M and was lip-syncing. It is not like Rihanna sounded amazing live but she was singing and it was just bizarre that Britney wasn't. Hmmmmmm. It's too bad to hear that her concert was not that engaging b/c that is where the money is not that she is in need that I know of.
    Last edited by quincyeyes; 06-20-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    She still has her devoted fans--although not as many now. Some have been with her since she was young. My friend and I liked her when we were 13--she was cute---and never had many clothes on LOL. At that time we did not care if she was a good singer or not. LOL She managed to keep her little friends as she grew older because she grew older with them---and then went nuts. As a result a lot of the young fans and older left but a lot of people go to her concerts just to see how she is doing--- I think TS is gonna have a problem with her little fans---(they are just like my friends and I were at 12 and 13) because TS can't stay 13 or 15 forever---she will have to grow up and change her songs, shows, etc.. I am not sure she can and all the indicators point to the fact that all her albums and songs are the same---bashing, poor me, etc.. I honestly see no maturity in them at all. Time will tell for both artists.

I heard that Britney is actually singing part of her concert live this time. And she did interact by saying some words to the audience this time, unlike in "Circus". And actually "Till The World Ends" the single got her back some mainstream love, which was very different from "Hold It Against Me", which basically only was liked by her fans. She'll do fine, she has her own core solid fanbase, and is still relevant (unlike many veterans like Janet Jackson, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette), that's basically all you can ask for for a Pop star I think. Some stars have the relevance but don't have a solid fanbase, like Katy Perry, like Rihanna. Some have the solid fanbase but not the relevance, like Susan Boyle, like Alicia Keys (for now), like Shakira (as of now), like Beyonce (needs to wait to see how her album does though), like Eminem before and after "Love The Way You Lie". And many of them lack both, like Ciara. Currently I think only Taylor Swift (to a lesser extent) and Lady GaGa have as equally big solid fanbase and relevance in the industry, which put Britney in a very good league.

Okay, get back to Beyonce on a Beyonce thrend. lol

Alicia Keys released "Doesn't Mean Anything" and "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart" prior to "The Element of Freedom" and both flopped. But her album opened with more than 400k copies and debuted at #2 behind Susan Boyle's "I Dreamed A Dream". But it was in December and Keys had the Latin #1 track and "Empire State of Mind" smashing at that time, as well as some hype for her Beyonce collaboration on "Put It In A Love Song". Similar thing will happen to Beyonce, it's just the difference is Alicia Keys' previous album, "As I Am" opened with more than 700k copies (Thanksgiving week) which isn't something Bey had ever done before. So apparently "4" will open way fewer than TEOF. My guess is around 200k copies or less, but should be definitely above 150k copies, giving her an easy #1 album. Her competition would be Selena Gomez & the Scene, David Cook, an Alicia Keys' re-release and of course ADELE. She's lucky that Eminem fans didn't quite realize that Bad Meets Evil is halfly Em.

On the single side, "Best Thing I Never Had" is still getting great updates, but payola is getting apparent as a 100 spins increase would give it only around 0.1 million of Audience Impression gain on Pop radios, and that it's again close to dropping out of the Top 100 on iTunes again.

Concert Stars
    I know people keep talking about Alicia's TEOF underperforming in comparison to her prior albums and predicting that Beyonce's "4" will be like that as well but I actually love TEOF. It is my favorite album by her. It may not have had a hard impacting single although I personally really liked the singles. It is definitely a staple for me. I think similarly "4" could possibly be my favorite Beyonce album all around. Again, it may not have that hard-hitting single but be a better all around album for me personally. I listen to TEOF as an album more than pulling songs out for playlists and I think that says a lot about the album - for me anyway. I think I will similarly do the same with "4". This is not to say that I have none of the songs from TEOF on playlists and the same will hold true for "4" but there are albums where I pull out the songs I want for playlists and then barely ever listen to the rest of the album. I would like to see "4" do well but I guess from a selfish perspective I am just happy that I like it. Beyonce will be making a ton of money touring anyway and I do not think this album will hold her back. jmho.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I dont know what to expect in terms of 4's performance. Im sure its a fine album, I haven't listened to it yet, and Beyonce is beyonce so Im sure her name alone will allow it do sell well, but so far I dont feel like the songs have been strong releases for building up anticipation and I could definitely see it doing much worse than her other albums

Concert Stars
    I personally think it would have been nice if she lead off the era by sending "Countdown" to pop and "Party" to Urban. I think these songs if done in that way would have had long chart runs (total speculation but by now I suspect there would be a lot of people saying "swagoo" - lol - Kanye's intro and outro alone on Party stick in your head). I Care is a really good ballad imo and I would like to see it released but I think Rather Die Young is good too. Actually, as of listening to the album now, there is not a track I skip with the exception of RTW which I do listen to but on a playlist. It doesn't fit in as well with the rest of the album imho. I support BTINH as a single but not as the follow-up to RTW as RTW underperformed. End of Time would also be a good choice for a single and I heard that it will be. However, I really think at this point she should send "Party" to Urban and push BTINH on pop.
    Last edited by quincyeyes; 06-21-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quincyeyes View Post
    I know people keep talking about Alicia's TEOF underperforming in comparison to her prior albums and predicting that Beyonce's "4" will be like that as well but I actually love TEOF. It is my favorite album by her. It may not have had a hard impacting single although I personally really liked the singles. It is definitely a staple for me. I think similarly "4" could possibly be my favorite Beyonce album all around. Again, it may not have that hard-hitting single but be a better all around album for me personally. I listen to TEOF as an album more than pulling songs out for playlists and I think that says a lot about the album - for me anyway. I think I will similarly do the same with "4". This is not to say that I have none of the songs from TEOF on playlists and the same will hold true for "4" but there are albums where I pull out the songs I want for playlists and then barely ever listen to the rest of the album. I would like to see "4" do well but I guess from a selfish perspective I am just happy that I like it. Beyonce will be making a ton of money touring anyway and I do not think this album will hold her back. jmho.
    I love "The Element of Freedom" too, but I think one thing to note is that Alicia Keys is more of an album seller than Beyonce. Yes, Beyonce moves albums, but she always depends on hit singles to do that. If you calculate the ratio to her sales, she could even be considered a single artist. "I Am...Sasha Fierce" opening with 'only' 480k copies during THANKSGIVING week in 2008 with TWO smashes out at the time is an evidence. And "B'day" opening big and tumbled down the charts before "Irreplaceable" saved the era (and the deluxe version actually accounts for many units for the album) also showed that.

Quote Originally Posted by conorlovescarrie:) View Post
    I dont know what to expect in terms of 4's performance. Im sure its a fine album, I haven't listened to it yet, and Beyonce is beyonce so Im sure her name alone will allow it do sell well, but so far I dont feel like the songs have been strong releases for building up anticipation and I could definitely see it doing much worse than her other albums
    Beyonce her name alone didn't bring "Run The World (Girls)", "1+1" and "Best Thing I Never Had" anywhere. Actually it didn't bring "Fever", "Put It In A Love Song" (with Alicia Keys), "Video Phone" (Featuring Lady GaGa), "Why Don't You Love Me", "Green Light", "Ego" (Featuring Kanye West), "Broken-Hearted Girl", "Upgrade You", "Listen", "At Last", "Stand Up For Love" (Destiny's Child) and "Get Me Bodied (Remix)". And "Diva", "Beautiful Liar" (With Shakira), "Love In This Club, Part 2" (originally by Usher), "Till The End of Time" (with Justin Timberlake). So her name alone really isn't enough.

Concert Stars
    I completely agree about Alicia being more of an album seller than Beyonce and almost put that in my post but wasn't quite sure how I wanted to word it. Alicia has a good record (no pun-intended) of selling albums and not being as reliant on singles. Beyonce has been more reliant on singles. Certainly, her name did not ignite RTW which is kind of surprising as she had not put out new material in quite some time. I know I was eager for new material. Again, I think she could make some selections that would help sell albums but I don't think her opening week will be as strong as it could have with different lead off singles.

Concert Stars
    I purchased the Deluxe Edition of 4 today and although I have been already listening to the album as it leaked am so excited to have it in my hands. I love this album. I don't skip any of the songs except for the remixes of Run the World that are on the Deluxe Edition. Really love Schoolin' Life which is only available on the Deluxe edition and I definitely think it should have made the regular album. I keep turning over which are my favorite songs. I really love them all but right now I am just love rocking out (so dated - lol) to Countdown and Schoolin' Life and mooning away over Love on Top. Just a great album. Selfishly I would rather have an album from Beyonce where I love every song than an album that produces 3 or 4 mega-hits but I skip all or most of the other songs. I'm not emotionally invested in her the way I am with Carrie. lol Carrie is number 1 and I want her to have an amazing album and amazing commercial success.

I really dislike this album. It's not like awful or anything, it just nothing sticks to me. "Run The World (Girls)" grows on me a lot though. But, her vocals are so gooood!

Fresh off her triumph on closing night at Glastonbury, Columbia diva Beyonce’s 4 will debut at #1 next week on the HITS album chart with between 275-300k in first-week sales. Her previous album, ‘08’s multiple Grammy winning I Am… Sasha Fierce, debuted with 463k, but that was during the Q4 sales rush in November.

HITS Daily Double: News

^ HDD got "I Am...Sasha Fierce" incorrectly. Soundscan has it at around 482k copies. Regardless, this is a very good number, can't believe she has a bigger core fanbase than Britney Spears now!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Beyonce on GMA!
    talk about some great reception!

June 27 - July 3: Beyoncé Explains Meaning Of Her New Album '4' - That's Really Week

VID in the article ^^

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Beyonce was announced as a performer for the 2011 VMA's; her first performance on the show in two years.

Beyonce To Hit The VMA Stage - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I wish I was more excited for her VMA performance, but I just don't like this new album at all. She does always put on an entertaining performance though, so at least it will be visually stunning I'm sure.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast