Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss Era

Insane Carrie Fan

Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss Era

Lady A just unveiled their new single Just A Kiss.

Read my thoughts and listen to it:
    Just A Kiss – Lady Antebellum « A Separate State of Mind

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    i Think its great but there's not one trace of even a country instrument.
    becca T

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love this song even more now that we have an actual studio version. They did a great job with the arrangement...Hillary and Charles sound great. I actually like this song more than NYN lol...the arrangement for NYN was good, but I felt like it was too big in some ways.
    I can't wait to see Lady A perform this on Idol in a few days. I really hope the rest of the upcoming album is as good as this song!

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    New single is on itunes now.

I really enjoy it... That said, it sounds like a straight-up pop song, not a hint of country in it. Even moreso than NYN. Which is disappointing. I just hope their actual album will sound more country.

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Aww Hillary. This is sweet and all, but really, we talked about this. You didn't have to write this for me.

I'm liking it. I'll agree it isn't all that country, but it's no worse than some of what gets played these days.

Now I know that "Just A Kiss" will go up against Carrie and Brad Paisley's "Remind Me" on the Grammy's, I hope they flop really hard until the eligibility period ends.

j/k This song is amazing.

Concert Stars
    I was never a fan of NYN. This song is not at all COUNTRY and sounds more contemporary! I don't see this being that BIG, it will do good because it's Lady A's LEAD single! I am not a fan of this song either, but it will probably grow on me, if I give it a chance. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SONG BY THE IS "LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE"!!!

BUT I MUST SAY THAT I LOVE THEIR HARMONIES AND CHARLES HAS AN AMAZING VOICE!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think this is a really good song! I really really like it

Junior Carrie Follower CarrieFan928's Avatar
    It's a pretty good song. Excited for the album. I thought the NYN album was okay but I hope this next one is better.

P.S. Is the album called "Just a Kiss" or is that just the temporary title (for this thread)?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    Aww Hillary. This is sweet and all, but really, we talked about this. You didn't have to write this for me.

I'm liking it. I'll agree it isn't all that country, but it's no worse than some of what gets played these days.
    To be honest outside of people like Alan Jackson, Josh Turner, Jamie Johnson, etc... the rest of "country" really isn't what country music is suppose to sound like.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    To be honest outside of people like Alan Jackson, Josh Turner, Jamie Johnson, etc... the rest of "country" really isn't what country music is suppose to sound like.
    How is country "supposed" to sound though? If you listen to stuff from the 90's it sounds way countrier than now, but then it was bashed for not being country enough. same thing happened in the 80's... sound of music will always change. Pop music certainly keeps changing but for some reason country has a lot of trouble with this "change" even though it's not new. I will say though that "Just a Kiss" doesn't even have one ounce of even a country instrument. With carrie's music, there are influences from other genres but she always leaves the country instruments and yet shes apparently the one ruining country music haha (besides tswift of course)... I'm getting kind of annoyed that Lady A. literally is having no backlash from remixing or the sound of their music. If TS gets it, they should too.
    becca T

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    How is country "supposed" to sound though? If you listen to stuff from the 90's it sounds way countrier than now, but then it was bashed for not being country enough. same thing happened in the 80's... sound of music will always change. Pop music certainly keeps changing but for some reason country has a lot of trouble with this "change" even though it's not new. I will say though that "Just a Kiss" doesn't even have one ounce of even a country instrument. With carrie's music, there are influences from other genres but she always leaves the country instruments and yet shes apparently the one ruining country music haha (besides tswift of course)... I'm getting kind of annoyed that Lady A. literally is having no backlash from remixing or the sound of their music. If TS gets it, they should too.
    becca T
    What does having to have a "country instrument" in a song have anything to do with a song being country or not?

If Beyonce put a fiddle in "Single Ladies" it sure in the hell isn't going to make the song country.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow that's really good anyone know when their new album will come out?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_Rocks_The_House View Post
    Wow that's really good anyone know when their new album will come out?
    Andrew, I would imagine it will be sometime in the fall.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    becca T
    Lady A has remixed/released two songs (NYN and I Run To You...did they even remix the second one?) for pop/hac radio. Their situation is far from Taylor's where she remixes everything to fit the genre, and releases just as many singles to pop music as she does country. Furthermore, Lady A don't cater to the pop community like Taylor. Lady A have made it clear they love being in country music, and the remixing of NYN for pop was a compromise they made with their label.
    I second Jim's comments in response to your post, as well. Country instruments add to country music, but they do not define it. Lyrically, Just a Kiss is a country song; melodically, it's a country song. Who cares if they add a fiddle or a steel guitar to the arrangement?
    Since Jim mentioned Single Ladies, there are many other songs that would not be country even if you added country instruments. Most of pop radio would sound out of place on country radio...it just wouldn't work.
    Country music is more than the instruments...it's the style of writing, the melodies used, the sincerity of the artists. It's far more than fiddles, steel guitars, and banjos.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Lady A has remixed/released two songs (NYN and I Run To You...did they even remix the second one?) for pop/hac radio. Their situation is far from Taylor's where she remixes everything to fit the genre, and releases just as many singles to pop music as she does country. Furthermore, Lady A don't cater to the pop community like Taylor. Lady A have made it clear they love being in country music, and the remixing of NYN for pop was a compromise they made with their label.
    I second Jim's comments in response to your post, as well. Country instruments add to country music, but they do not define it. Lyrically, Just a Kiss is a country song; melodically, it's a country song. Who cares if they add a fiddle or a steel guitar to the arrangement?
    Since Jim mentioned Single Ladies, there are many other songs that would not be country even if you added country instruments. Most of pop radio would sound out of place on country radio...it just wouldn't work.
    Country music is more than the instruments...it's the style of writing, the melodies used, the sincerity of the artists. It's far more than fiddles, steel guitars, and banjos.
    Yes, I completely agree, I've loved country all my life, this isn't something I need to be told BUT country does have a sound and thats what makes it different.
    becca T

Concert Stars
    ^^My post wasn't an attack, Becca. Sorry if it felt that way. I wasn't insinuating you didn't know about country music. I know country has a sound...that is what I was actually saying in part of my post. It has a sound based on lyrics and melody, not just instruments. I get your point about Just a Kiss lacking country instrumentation, but I'm personally not going to take offense to that as a country fan. I, too, have been a country fan my entire life. I appreciate all varieties of country, both old and new.

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Agreed. Not so much that it's not what it's supposed to sound like in the sense that there's a certain sound, but in the sense that it's not what hardcore country fans think it should sound like.

Basically if it doesn't sound like something Hank Sr., or Patsy Cline, or Loretta Lynn, or Tammy Wynette, or Conway Twitty, or George Jones, etc. would have done, it's "not country" to these people. But country music has changed, and frankly what I like most about country music these days is that just about anything can in some way be considered country. Country to me is all in the lyrics, and this is definitely country lyrics. Sound wise, it's not quite what you'd expect, but neither is Jason Aldean rapping(love that song btw) or a lot of what Carrie or Taylor Swift put out. Does it make any of it "not country." That's for the experts to decide. Til then I'll just listen to it and make my own opinions.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    ^^My post wasn't an attack, Becca. Sorry if it felt that way. I wasn't insinuating you didn't know about country music. I know country has a sound...that is what I was actually saying in part of my post. It has a sound based on lyrics and melody, not just instruments. I get your point about Just a Kiss lacking country instrumentation, but I'm personally not going to take offense to that as a country fan. I, too, have been a country fan my entire life. I appreciate all varieties of country, both old and new.
    don't get me wrong, i LOVE lady A. Clearly we all love new country bc we love carrie haha. but what annoys me is that Carrie gets such flack for being "non" country when Lady A have gotten none.
    becca T

•  
    Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast