Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Adele - "21" Era

I'm shocked that she doesn't have a thrend here.

Anyway, this multi-Grammy away winner is killing it this year in critical acclaim, sales (American and global, albums and singles) and even airplay now. And she's not even thin!

Her album is currently the best-selling album globally in 2011 (and in the States as well, but if you go by Billboard chart year, there's still an around 600000 copies difference between her and Taylor Swift's "Speak Now"), sold around 4 million copies as of now, with a million plus of them coming from the States. She's also broke sales record in the UK with 12 weeks selling in 6-digit. And actually she was still selling more than 100k copies last week, so...

She's now definitely a frontrunner for multiple Grammy awards! I think she will definitely get Best Pop Vocals Album ("21"), Best Pop Solo Vocal Performance ("Rolling In The Deep"), and possibily Record of the Year ("Rolling In The Deep"), Song of the Year ("Rolling In The Deep") and Album of the Year ("21"). I hope "Someone Like You" shines in some other fields as well, although it was more Pop than anything so I don't think it would happen. Her competitors are Alison Kruass (but she has her country field to shine), Kanye West ("All of The Light" featuring Rihanna, Elton John, Kid Cudi, Fergie @ The Black Eyed Peas and Alicia Keys for Record of the Year and Song of the Year; "My Beautiful Dark Fantasy" for Album of the Year...But Grammy doesn't like Hip-Hop records much. They snubbed Eminem's "Love The Way You Lie" featuring Rihanna and "Recovery last year.), Taylor Swift ("Speak Now" for Album of the Year, no hopes in any other).

And, there are people saying, there have always been people like Norah Jones and Susan Boyle who comes alone and 'kills it'. But what makes a difference is that Adele is actually having a smash single, "Rolling In The Deep", which is currently #1 on iTunes, and actually has an outside chance to go #1 on Hot 100 if she sells 70000 copies more than Katy Perry featuring Kanye West's "E.T." which was performed on American Idol this week. "Turning Tables" is also smashing now after being performed on Glee. The album version is actually charting higher than the Glee Cast version right now. "Someone Like You" and "Set Fire In The Rain" are also both potential hits and have been on iTunes consistently. Another song, "Rumor Has It", is having some Triple A's radio spins and it's sitting right outside of the Top 200 on iTunes.

I think the best comparison would be Alanis Morissette. She's got a breakthrough album globally in 1995-1996, "Jagged Little Pill", which went 16xPlatinum in the States (12 weeks atop Billboard 200), and produced a string of hit singles: "You Oughta Know", "Hand In My Pocket", "You Learn", "Ironic" and "Head Over Feet". And of course a bunch of Grammy's. It took her 7 years to go irrelevant airplay-wise (after "Hands Clean" in 2002) and 9 years sales-wise (after "So-Called Chaos" in 2004). There had been 4 albums ("Jagged Little Pill", "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie", "Under Rug Swept" and "So-Called Chaos" -- I'm not counting "Alanis Unplugged", "Feast On Scraps", "Alanis Morissette: The Collection" and "Jagged Little Pill Acoustic"). Norah Jones took 7 years to go completely irrelevant, and also 4 albums. ("Come Away With Me", "Feels Like Home", "Not Too Late" and "The Fall") Susan Boyle is fading but she's still very relevant ("I Dreamed A Dream" and "The Gift").

OMG! I love Adele!!! really love chasing pavements!

I love Adele too!!! Not Carrie Underwood-love, but she's very very very good....I want Carrie to cover SLY!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    i am obsessed with '21'... its so good!! and 'set fire to the rain' is the new single and i could see it being even bigger than "rolling in the deep" imo.
    becca T

Junior Carrie Follower CarrieFan928's Avatar
    I've only bought RITD and SLY but I love them both. I'm hoping to buy her album soon when I get the chance to go to the store. I wonder if this year it'll just be Adele madness since she's well on her way to 2x Platinum for her album and RITD crossed 1 million a few weeks ago. I hope she can release another hit. As for awards, she's always had Grammy love, all she need was a bit more commercial success. Radio was a bit slow with her though. She was in the top 10 of itunes while receiving low airplay but it's rapidly growing now.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    Just viewed the video of "Rolling in the Deep" a few days ago and I am amazed by this woman! I saw her on tv a while back at the artists of the year show singing NYN with Darius Rucker and was amazed then too!

I'll definitely have to buy her cd!

I've heard nothing but amazing things about this album. Been meaning to get it for a while. Today will be the day!

Concert Stars
    ^^^^ did ya get it?

she is amazing! love this

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allirishgirl View Post
    ^^^^ did ya get it?

she is amazing! love this

this is my fave performance of hers. that song is so emotional.
    becca T

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Just bought the album...... Turning Tables is now my new obsession. The production and that voice were just killer. I hope its her year at the Grammys.

Her debut album bores me and I basically only liked a few songs...but this one is really good.

I am so in love with this album. This is easily the best album to be released this year haha.

Hoping for a Grammy Album of the Year nod for this one!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    she's got that in the bag imo. she's got critic and sales support. I'm hoping for a win lol
    becca T

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Oh me too. I think she will get it. Critics are already saying it's the album of the year, and this year isn't even half over haha.

I've been thinking alot lately that this might be the return of legitimate music. Like, in the midst of Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Ke$ha, and Lady Gaga, Adele is a breath of fresh air.
    I wrote an article about it. Album Review: “21″ by Adele; Is Adele Ushering in a New Age of Music? « Music, Words, Passion

Am so addicted to Someone Like You right now. GORGEOUS song!

Concert Stars
    This is a fantastic album. Her voice is incredible -- and she's like 22 years old! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    she's got that in the bag imo. she's got critic and sales support. I'm hoping for a win lol
    becca T
    Well, we'll need to wait until the eligible period ends before saying that.

Although I agree with you

She recently performed Set Fire to the Rain, amazingggg stuff Adele Performs ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ on the Graham Norton Show « Music, Words, Passion

"Set Fire To The Rain" is the obvious follow-up single after "Rolling In The Deep" and "Someone Like You". I hope "Rumor Has It" follows that, and then "Turning Tables" to close the era!

•  
    Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast