Concert Stars

How Would A $900,000 Gwyneth Paltrow Record Deal Add Up? We Did Some Math ...

Interesting article...

Of course, a pop-oriented album released by a New York label would not have the same marketing, promotion strategy and budget as one released by a Nashville-based country imprint. But assuming that Paltrow's hypothetical album had the usual costs associated with a big country album that sells from 1 to 2 million units, how well would it need to sell for Atlantic to recoup its costs?

If Paltrow's release had a typical superstar country budget, it would need to sell about 710,000 track-equivalent albums to break even, based on the typical album expenses shared by a Nashville record executive who chose to remain anonymous. (The track equivalent album metric converts tracks into albums by adding one tenth of track sales to album sales.)

A $900,000 album deal would actually cost significantly more than $900,000. That amount is a recording fund that pays for the cost of making the record. A superstar country artist's album can cost around $300,000. The remaining $600,000 would be given to Paltrow as a recoupable advance.
    Read entire article: https://secure.billboard.biz/bbbiz/i...05069222.story

Another Gwyneth article: Gwyneth Paltrow reportedly close to signing a record deal. Is she worth it? | The Music Mix | EW.com

So much is a usual record deal? I'm assuming that $900,000 is too high considering that this is her first album, though of course she's already a Hollywood celebrity. So for the record company to break even Gwyneth's album should at least reach gold status?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Sorry, but since when does playing a singer in a movie earn you a record deal? And people say Carrie didn't pay her dues...

Carrie Fans Maniac aussiefan_21's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    ^^ I guess she's also been quite successful on Glee, so she's had alot of exposure lately! I say good for her if she can get it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :-)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Another Gwyneth article: Gwyneth Paltrow reportedly close to signing a record deal. Is she worth it? | The Music Mix | EW.com

So much is a usual record deal? I'm assuming that $900,000 is too high considering that this is her first album, though of course she's already a Hollywood celebrity. So for the record company to break even Gwyneth's album should at least reach gold status?
    I know that the American Idol winner (at least in the first few seasons...) got a $1 million recording contract.

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I know that the American Idol winner (at least in the first few seasons...) got a $1 million recording contract.
    Whoa! $1 million? Huge record deal! lol

I just don't get a genuine vibe from Gwyneth in going into country music. I feel like this is just yet another person trying to cash in on the popularity of country music, but I don't feel like she genuinely loves country music like, for example, Carrie does.

The deal is off.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    good.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    The deal is off.
    That's good. Country Strong didn't fare that well on the Country Chart. And the duet from McGraw/Paltrow didn't make the Top 30.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    good.
    This.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    She's rather flat and unbelievable as a country artist. If anyone should be awarded a recording contract it should be Garrett Hedlund.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    That's good. Country Strong didn't fare that well on the Country Chart. And the duet from McGraw/Paltrow didn't make the Top 30.
    I heard that she herself isn't really interested to recording albums.

•