Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Concert Stars

Exclamation SONY: Ready For Digital Retail War?

The volatile world of digital music could get even more tumultuous in the coming days and week. DIGITAL LIFE reports that SONY is seriously considering the removal of its artists from APPLE's iTUNES store, as well as withholding its games from the iPHONE. Meanwhile, APPLE has applied for a patent for a system that could implement a music cloud service.
    SONY's move against APPLE would complement its plans to launch MUSIC UNLIMITED, a competitor to iTUNES, in AUSTRALIA soon. Also debuting in that Continent later this year is a service that would enable mobile phone users to pay and play first-generation PLAYSTATION games on their handsets. The head of SONY's games unit in AUSTRALIA said it was unlikely to be available on the iPHONE or through iTUNES.
    Does Sony Music need to provide content to iTunes? ... Currently we do. We have to provide it to iTunes as that's the format right now ... Publishers are being held to ransom by Apple and they are looking for other delivery systems, and we are waiting to
    The SONY/APPLE relationship soured two weeks ago, when APPLE blocked SONY's electronic book application from the iPHONE because it would have bypassed APPLE's system for buying content.
    When discussing the viability of MUSIC UNLIMITED, SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT CEO MICHAEL EPHRAIM said, "If we do [get mass acceptance] then does SONY MUSIC need to provide content to iTUNES? ... Currently we do. We have to provide it to iTUNES as that's the format right now ... Publishers are being held to ransom by APPLE and they are looking for other delivery systems, and we are waiting to see what the next three to five years will hold."
    Clouds On Apple's Horizon?
    APPLE could blur the lines between locally saved media files and additional content streamed from the cloud, listing all files as if they are part of the same media library on a device like an iPHONE or a MAC.
    Meanwhile, APPLEINSIDER found a new patent application from Apple entitled "Audio Clips for Announcing Remotely Accessed Media Items," which details a system that would include a centralized list of media files -- files that could be saved locally or remotely. This would enable users of a cloud-based iTUNES music streaming service "to seamlessly merge their locally saved media files with additional content available for streaming via the Internet. Rather than having a separate list of cloud-based content, all of the media would be listed in one location, and the Internet-connected device would play back the selected content from the appropriate location."
    "The device can include an audio clip of an artist name, song title, and album name, for example generated using a text to speech engine, or pre-recorded by an actor," the application reads. "The electronic device, however, may only locally store audio clips for media items that the device knows will be played back, for example locally stored media items."
    "The application describes media being identified by locally stored metadata, detailing the artist, song title or album title of a particular track, or other information for different types of media. By reviewing this metadata, a connected device like an iPHONE could then begin streaming the appropriate content from the cloud, if the file is not locally stored on the device. APPLE's filing notes that streamed media could be made available through the iTUNES Music Store, or via an alternate source."

Source: ALL ACCESS

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    My first thought is how will this affect Carrie.

Seriously? If they remove all their artists' songs off itunes, they can kiss their paycheques goodbye.

Further proof to me that Sony is a sinking ship that I hope Carrie can get off of.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    My first thought is how will this affect Carrie.
    That was my immediate thought. Sony is making me nervous

well it's clear the music industry in general is in trouble, and it's not Sony. Sony is trying to save itself imo. After the recent buyout of EMI, and then Warner not doing well at all, it's a wonder what this decade will bring for the music industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I'm sure this is probably true, but why would you remove your artists from itunes?
    Based on this: "SONY's move against APPLE would complement its plans to launch MUSIC UNLIMITED, a competitor to iTUNES, in AUSTRALIA soon."

.......I think they want to keep the whole pie instead of splitting the already small pie with iTunes. It's not going to happen (removing their artists from iTunes) soon though, until their own music/games store really take off. Now they still need to rely on iTunes' (almost) monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Based on this: "SONY's move against APPLE would complement its plans to launch MUSIC UNLIMITED, a competitor to iTUNES, in AUSTRALIA soon."

.......I think they want to keep the whole pie instead of splitting the already small pie with iTunes. It's not going to happen (removing their artists from iTunes) soon though, until their own music/games store really take off. Now they still need to rely on iTunes' (almost) monopoly.
    I agree. It will happen, but I think this process will take awhile.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    As someone who couldn't use i-Tunes if I wanted to (only Apple and Microsoft customers can use their website - I'm a Linux user, and Apple don't, and have made it clear many times that they won't - provide versions of their special software for any other desktop operating systems), I have no liking for them or their monopoly-seeking business model. Anything that Sony can do to chip away at them is potentially interesting - but until we get more details, I'll stick with Amazon or buy direct from artists' channels.

^Whoa. Way to bump an old thread there Farawayhills (winky face)

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ seriously
    bumping an old thread just to hate on Apple. *confused*

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread. This site is behaving rather strangely at times recently. I opened the Music thread, and none of the current topics appeared. This one did, and I thought it was a new conversation.

(And - seriously - Donna, haven't you got that rather the wrong way round? It's not me "hating on" Apple - if they won't accept Linux users it's more a case of them "hating on" us.) wink!

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread. This site is behaving rather strangely at times recently. I opened the Music thread, and none of the current topics appeared. This one did, and I thought it was a new conversation.

(And - seriously - Donna, haven't you got that rather the wrong way round? It's not me "hating on" Apple - if they won't accept Linux users it's more a case of them "hating on" us.) wink!
    It takes time and money to release a different version of a software. And there are other concerns with Linux because it's an open platform.

I wouldn't have replied to this thread if I'd noticed the date. It appeared as the second item of the top page that showed up when I clicked on "Music" (presumably as the result of a temporary server glitch which didn't load the preceding pages) So I apologize again to anyone who's irritated to see it revived.

However, as people are also replying, I'll clarify my position. The argument about time and money is hard to sustain. The i-Tunes store has been lucrative for its owners (one of the reasons the record companies have been less than enthusiastic about its market dominance), and Apple bought the i-Tunes software as long ago as 2000 - so it appears they've had plenty of both time and money. Also the community would quickly provide development expertise if they would co-operate (as several other companies have done)
    Linux is one of the most secure operating systems (some users, who prefer convenience, in fact, complain that its security can be over-tight) - and glitches and bugs can be noticed and corrected considerably faster than in proprietary systems that depend solely on in-house developers. But what weakens the argument about security concerns further is that i-Tunes is open to Microsoft - which has historically been a much less secure system, and, even with recent improvements, is still the platform used by hackers and malware peddlers.
    What the i-Tunes store is doing, basically, is selling MP3 files - a format available to any company willing to pay Frauenhoff a licence fee. Amazon, and several other outlets also do this - without seeing any reason to make it dependent on using additional software, or a particular operating system.

If people are happy with the i-Tunes store - that's fine, of course, I'm not trying to argue against them using it. But they can't expect people they've consistently shut out to refrain from criticizing them - nor to stop advocating more competition in their market.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post

Yep - it's enough to turn your hair white! (Eat up your porridge and bury the thread again, lol)

Yep - it's enough to turn your hair white! (Eat up your porridge and bury the thread again, lol)
    Naw, bumping old threads is fun x)

I wouldn't have replied to this thread if I'd noticed the date. It appeared as the second item of the top page that showed up when I clicked on "Music" (presumably as the result of a temporary server glitch which didn't load the preceding pages) So I apologize again to anyone who's irritated to see it revived.

However, as people are also replying, I'll clarify my position. The argument about time and money is hard to sustain. The i-Tunes store has been lucrative for its owners (one of the reasons the record companies have been less than enthusiastic about its market dominance), and Apple bought the i-Tunes software as long ago as 2000 - so it appears they've had plenty of both time and money. Also the community would quickly provide development expertise if they would co-operate (as several other companies have done)
    Linux is one of the most secure operating systems (some users, who prefer convenience, in fact, complain that its security can be over-tight) - and glitches and bugs can be noticed and corrected considerably faster than in proprietary systems that depend solely on in-house developers. But what weakens the argument about security concerns further is that i-Tunes is open to Microsoft - which has historically been a much less secure system, and, even with recent improvements, is still the platform used by hackers and malware peddlers.
    What the i-Tunes store is doing, basically, is selling MP3 files - a format available to any company willing to pay Frauenhoff a licence fee. Amazon, and several other outlets also do this - without seeing any reason to make it dependent on using additional software, or a particular operating system.

If people are happy with the i-Tunes store - that's fine, of course, I'm not trying to argue against them using it. But they can't expect people they've consistently shut out to refrain from criticizing them - nor to stop advocating more competition in their market.
    They have the time and money, but why should they spend them on an operation system which has a relatively very small market share?

Refusing to sell to any number of potential customers is not in the best interest of artists hoping to maximize sales and provide a welcoming environment for people who resist the temptation to look for unlawful downloads.

In fact Apple wouldn't need to spend time and money on this aspect, if they didn't require special software to access the site. As I said, Amazon (and others) sell to any customer within their store's catchment area, without requiring any specially installed software.

I have seen screenshots of the i-Tunes interface, and it looks pretty good. I might have used it in the past if I'd been able to - but their long term attitude has put me off. From my point of view, there would probably now be no point in them developing another version, as I'd be likely to still use more welcoming competitors, and advocate the growth of more competition. (New adopters, though, may feel differently, and still hope Apple will cater for them)

Refusing to sell to any number of potential customers is not in the best interest of artists hoping to maximize sales and provide a welcoming environment for people who resist the temptation to look for unlawful downloads.

In fact Apple wouldn't need to spend time and money on this aspect, if they didn't require special software to access the site. As I said, Amazon (and others) sell to any customer within their store's catchment area, without requiring any specially installed software.

I have seen screenshots of the i-Tunes interface, and it looks pretty good. I might have used it in the past if I'd been able to - but their long term attitude has put me off. From my point of view, there would probably now be no point in them developing another version, as I'd be likely to still use more welcoming competitors, and advocate the growth of more competition. (New adopters, though, may feel differently, and still hope Apple will cater for them)
    Apple doesn't work for the producers of the products they sell, but for Apple alone. They do not have the business obligation, or even the moral obligation to maximize sales for the artists or save the record industry.

iTunes Music Stores have to be connected through iTunes instead of just the website because the stores are not profitable. From the very beginning, it was to link up to other Apple products such as Mac and iPods where the money was at for Apple (and now iPhones and iPads). It is entirely different for Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Apple doesn't work for the producers of the products they sell, but for Apple alone. They do not have the business obligation, or even the moral obligation to maximize sales for the artists or save the record industry.
    You cite a good reason why other parties with an interest in music distribution (recording companies, artists, consumers) should investigate, and, where beneficial, welcome, the development of more competitive channels.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast