Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Award Season in 2018

^ I like that all of us here seem to have the same opinion of I, Tonya. All my coworkers think itís like the best movie of the year and Iím like ehhhhhh

Concert Stars
    ^Eh, yeahhhh, I mean it's better than I was expecting, but for me it's certainly not that.

I'm very glad it's turning out to be something of a star turn for Margot though.

Edit: Yep so The Big Sick is really, really good. What a pleasant surprise. I thought Hunter, Romano, Nanjiani and Kazan were all really great, particularly the former two, so this is a very worthy SAG Ensemble nod. The screenplay is great as well. Hopefully it can sneak in at the Oscars.
    Last edited by AIgrl06; 2 Days Ago at 08:11 PM.

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    Coco was a really sweet, well made film. I suppose a lot of us might be able to relate to the film in some way. I liked that it was sort of an original concept. What I would hold against this film is that it's entirely predictable. You can see every twist and turn coming from a mile away. So as a children's movie that adults can also enjoy, I give it a thumbs up, but I've seen far better animated films than this. Kudos on the all Hispanic cast though. Hopefully those kinds of trends continue in Hollywood.

I wanted to watch The shape of water over the weekend but didn't get around to it.

^^ yassss I loved The Big Sick

^ yeah it was totally predictable. But I too enjoyed it. Not my fav Pixar movie but not nearly its worst effort (The good dinosaur anyone?)

The Shape of Water- First of all, whenever Michael Shannons character called Octavia "Delilah" I mentally played the song "Hey There Delilah".....ANYWAYS. I enjoyed this movie BUT. I found the first hour much more enjoyable then the second once they actually got him to escape the lab idk it just became less interesting to me. I didnt care that much about the Russian storyline either. It loses me a couple times but overall I liked it. I think Pans is still my favorite effort from Del Toro. I think Sally does a great job in this. Michael Shannon is good too. I had heard a lot of opinion about the overall story and like how weird it was to watch this love story between a human and monster and at first i was like this is fine its not like theyre having s e x (idk if we can post that word in this forum) or anything. And then it took a turn and i was like oh yeah....im not sure how i feel about this LOL. Im still sitting on it.

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    The Shape of Water: I'm sort of ambivalent about this movie. On the one hand, I appreciate that it's an ode to cinema with some wonderful visuals. I am impressed by the technique and craft behind it. Del Toro did a fine job directing it and Sally Hawkins is just wonderful. It takes more than some guy in a suit to make the sea creature come alive with real emotion and props to Doug Jones for his work. I liked Jenkins's and Spencer's performances. On the flip side, this might be the most one dimensional performance that I have seen Michael Shannon give. I can definitely appreciate that it's telling the "forbidden love story" in a different way this movie didn't have much that gripped me.
    I have been wondering if I've gotten more cynical over the last year or if the movies just aren't interesting enough because I've been like "yeah nice", "it's fine" for almost every acclaimed film I've seen this year.

^ I think thatís how my opinion has been for every movie this year too except Lady Bird, which is cause I connected to that on a personal level. Honestly after years of strong movies I think this is one of the weakest years weíve had in awhile

Concert Stars
    This year is very weird. I like almost everything I've seen. Get Out and Lady Bird are the only things that I've loved and even then, Lady Bird had to sit with me awhile before I really appreciated it. I'm hesitant to call it a weak year just because, again, I've at least liked most of the films.

Also I finally started Mrs Maisel and this show is everything. I love it!

•  
    Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839