Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Award Season in 2012

Concert Stars
    I haven't seen the whole Notebook (I saw about 3/4 of it) but I was with 3 of my friends, 2 of whom absolutely loved The Notebook... like, call it their favorite film and cry everytime they see it, lol. And neither of them were emotionally affected by the movie at all.

^ okay, looks like ill be saving my money!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-omg I loved this movie!!! It was awesome, I felt like i was watching a modern day clue. I kept trying to guess who done it in which room with what weapon LOL. Rooney does a FANTASTIC job, in my opinion. I unfortunately cant compare this to the swedish version or the book because i havent seen/read either. It's so funny that we were just talking about how weak the supporting actor category is and I believe the Lead Actress category is the exact opposite. Unfortunately, Rooney came in a tough year. My only issue with the movie is its end. I hate when movies end with out a proper ending LOL. Not even the oh theres an opening for a sequel but it didnt even feel like a completed movie...and the damn thing was already 2 1/2 hrs long...

These are the movies I still need to see...Bold means theyre available...

"A Better Life"
    "Warrior"
    "A Cat in Paris"
    "Margin Call"
    "A Separation" (i coulda swore this was available....but i cant find it now)

looks like i have some work to do

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"-Wow..what a mistake it was to watch this and Dragon Tattoo in the same day...I think my head might explode. Yikes. I hate when Im five steps behind a movie. I usually feel like Im pretty smart in the movie sense and I can figure things about but either Dragon Tattoo took everything from me today or I was too dumb for this movie. After it was over I still had to look stuff up on the internet to try and put pieces together. And I STILL dont fully have all of it...ugh. That frustrates me and that makes me unable to enjoy the movie fully. Gary Oldman was pretty good, all of the acting was pretty top notch. This is another really really good category this year. I dont know why my heart is still with Pitt this year but it is lol. But my head is still telling me Jean will take it or Clooney but it seems like Jean is on a role lately.

Ive closed the Best Adapted Screenplay Category (order of favs/bolded is prediction of win)-
    1) Moneyball
    2) The Decendants
    3) Hugo
    4) The Ides of March
    5) Tinker Taylor Solider Spy (I thought it was a good movie but it just frustrated me)

Okay...what 2 movies will I watch tmw, probably an animated one cause I need something lighter hahaha. And Albert Nobbs since its the only one left that has 2 nominations (besides Marilyn but Im not positive thats available)
    Last edited by Grace_Of_God; 02-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I actually watched The Vow with a friend the other day. She thought it was good but not movies-material. I reviewed it

The Vow – Movie Review « A Separate State of Mind

Apart from that, guess which medical student will spend a month in Paris this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by eliefares View Post
    Apart from that, guess which medical student will spend a month in Paris this summer?
    hate you

Concert Stars
    ^Congrats, Elie! Oh and hey, guess which undergrad student is interning in London for two months this summer?

Hannah, I guess you not feeling like the end of the movie was worthy means you'll have to catch the next two movies in the series! I totally think I would've loved, loved, loved Dragon Tattoo if I hadn't seen the Swedish version. This version was just too similar. But I still really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    ^Congrats, Elie! Oh and hey, guess which undergrad student is interning in London for two months this summer?

Hannah, I guess you not feeling like the end of the movie was worthy means you'll have to catch the next two movies in the series!
    I just hate all of you....lol

yeahhhh i guess im going to watch the next two hahaha

"Chico & Rita"-I wasnt really into this.....I felt there was a couple storylines that didnt add to the movie. Also, I like my animated movies to be light and entertaining, I feel this movie was trying to be too deep. Meh. I also didnt completely understand the whole point of the guy getting shot with the drug deal. This movie made me upset that Tintin didnt get nominated. Okay so, personal question, does anyone else find it super awkward when cartoons have sex. Like im totally okay with live action sex scenes but i dont why cartoon ones are totally awkward to me lol. I was totally okay with all the scenes in Dragon tattoo (minus the rape scene obviously). LOL oh side note this animated movie is subtitled because it's in spanish.

Concert Stars
    I loved the Notebook. It was one of my favorite chickflicks ever--- mostly because Ryan Gosling is so smoking hot.

Concert Stars
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was a heck of a lot better than I thought it would be. The lead kid annoyed me like crazy, but the supporting cast was pretty fantastic. I was very impressed with Max von Sydow here and I wasn't sure that I would be. Same for Sandra Bullock, and Tom Hanks was just amazing. Viola Davis and Jeffrey Wright were fantastic in small parts, too. Anyway, I feel like Thomas Horn messed up a lot of the really emotional parts of the film (Yelling things he was afraid of, yelling at his mom...), but the part that really did hit me emotionally and where I almost shed a tear was when Oskar said to his mom, "He told me that he loves you very much... I don't tell you I love you enough times, do I?" That and the scene with Jeffrey Wright about the answering machine. Aww. So, I'm not upset at its Best Picture nomination, but I don't think I personally would've nominated it.

^ gah it just irks me because the book is soooo amazing lol

anyways...
    Albert Nobbs-this movie was....interesting....I feel like Mia pops up randomly in movies that I didnt know she was in (that has nothing to do with the movie I just felt the need to mention it lol) This movie was like the Irish version of Mulan....and not set in a war lol. The only thing I knew going into this movie was that Glenn Close dressed up like a man. And well...she was pretty damn good at it....so was Janet McTeer who is nominated for supporting. Those are both extremely tough categories this year though. Props to the woman for holding it down this year. The movie as a whole though was just meh. But acting was great. And always love seeing a harry potter actor in a movie, im like HEY MR.WEASLEY! hahaha

Ive closed out Best Supporting Actress (now ordering this is difficult. I didnt dislike ANY of these performances so my order is from my favorite to i still liked just not as much LOL)

1) Octavia Spencer
    2) Jessica Chastain
    3) Janet McTeer
    4) Berenice Bejo (I just thought her character was a crazy loon/stalker)
    5) Melissa McCarthy

Watching 2 movies a day till sunday is going to be the death of me...tmw i tackle.....My Week with Marilyn and Kung fu Panda 2 lol

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    I haven't seen any new movies in a while. I've had Warrior for a long time but I keep putting it off for some reason.
    My head is so f***ed up right now. I actually had to look up Viola Davis on wikipedia to make sure that I was thinking about the right person.

^ LOL

"My Week with Marilyn"-I love this movie. But let me state, Im not sure youll like this movie as a whole if you dont work in the film business. Thats why I LOVED this movie. The lead character was basically me on my first job so I saw so much of my life in this movie and I laughed alot cause i though "omg thats so true" when something would happen. Now on to the acting parts, since that's what's actually nominated...As far as Kenneth Branagh is concerned. He was really good but Im not sure he was amazing. I still stand by the fact this is a weak category this year. Now...Michelle Williams. How can someone be so socially awkward and be such an amazing actress? She was SOOOOO good. ugh Best Actress is such a tough category this year its ridiculous. If i didnt have so many movies to watch before sunday I would have to rewatch the help just to make sure Viola Davis was still my favorite since I saw that movie the weekend it came out in theaters last year. (Oh and side note, Emma Watsons character was completely useless in My Week with Marilyn)

Ive closed out Best Actress...this is another one of those I didnt hate any of them so this is my favorite to I still liked lol

1) Viola Davis
    2) Michelle Williams
    2) Rooney Mara (they both did great, i couldnt pick)
    4) Meryl Streep
    5) Glenn Close

"Kung fu Panda 2"-Well let me start off by saying I never say the first one so I dont know if I missed anything. I dont feel like I did, I felt like I could still follow this one pretty well. However, after seeing this (making it the 4th out of 5 nominees Ive seen) makes me super upset Tintin wasnt nominated. It's still easily my favorite animated feature Ive seen of the year. KFP was fine. I felt like it had the most cliche lines Ive ever seen in a film...I also wont lie that I zoned out a few times because I have tons on my mind so that might have skewed my thoughts on the movie a bit.

So since "A Cat In Paris" isnt available and I dont think it will be before sunday, Im going to say Ive closed the Best Animated category.

1) Rango
    2) Puss in Boots
    3) Kung Fu Panda 2
    4) Chico & Rita

Not Seen- A Cat in Paris

Im going to try and watch "A Better Life" and "Warrior" today. So that way I can close those 2 categories. That way the only category I wont have closed is the best original screenplay.
    Last edited by Grace_Of_God; 02-25-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Insane Carrie Fan

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was a heck of a lot better than I thought it would be. The lead kid annoyed me like crazy, but the supporting cast was pretty fantastic. I was very impressed with Max von Sydow here and I wasn't sure that I would be. Same for Sandra Bullock, and Tom Hanks was just amazing. Viola Davis and Jeffrey Wright were fantastic in small parts, too. Anyway, I feel like Thomas Horn messed up a lot of the really emotional parts of the film (Yelling things he was afraid of, yelling at his mom...), but the part that really did hit me emotionally and where I almost shed a tear was when Oskar said to his mom, "He told me that he loves you very much... I don't tell you I love you enough times, do I?" That and the scene with Jeffrey Wright about the answering machine. Aww. So, I'm not upset at its Best Picture nomination, but I don't think I personally would've nominated it.
    Good to know I'm not alone in this, I dont know if the character is actually like that or it was bad directing. And normally I'm a big fan of kids acting in serious movies. I still say Abigal Breslin should've won the Oscar just for the scene witht her "grandpa, do you think I'm pretty?". Stupid Jennifer Hudson lol.

Insane Carrie Fan
    My Week With Marilyn I think the movie was very good, I dont know if I loved it, but I liked it . Michelle Williams is amazing on this, while watching the movie I thought she was doing a great job as Marilyn based on a few things I have seen of the real Marilyn but then I went to Youtube and found some footage from the real movie, her arrival to London, the interviews and Michelle captured every single detail, the way Marilyn smiled, what she did with her shoulders, they way she speaked...everything. And when you know how Michelle is in real life (shy, awkward...) it's even more impressive to seer her playing a sexy and not shy at all person. I'm very impressed and it's too bad she got Viola on her way, I know it's not going to happen but I would like to see her winning tomorrow.

I didnt watch The Iron Lady the other day, I'm gonna try to watch it now and I could close Best Actress.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_vzla View Post
    Good to know I'm not alone in this, I dont know if the character is actually like that or it was bad directing
    im really trying to remember in the book....ugh. He was all sorts of awkward in the book. but he was awkward not annoying in the book I felt. But i agree that in the movie I didnt particularly like him. But in the book you get alot more inside his head and you dont hear alot of his thoughts in the movie

Quote Originally Posted by sam_vzla View Post
    [B] Michelle Williams is amazing on this..... And when you know how Michelle is in real life (shy, awkward...) it's even more impressive to seer her playing a sexy and not shy at all person. I'm very impressed and it's too bad she got Viola on her way, I know it's not going to happen but I would like to see her winning tomorrow.
    Michelle William's....shes so outstanding to me. because shes so different from her real life....like she is a true actress. shes great. I could never direct her though, im too sarcastic and i know our personalities wouldnt match up well LOL disaster waiting to happen.

Concert Stars
    Oh man Oscar eve! I still haven't seen the Artist! lol LMAO! I want to see it, but I can't seem to stay awake with it on my laptop with no sound...so I keep hoping it will hit the theaters.

Anyway, I am going to finally watch Marilyn tonight.

I am not as excited about the Oscars this year for some reason as I think the Artist is poised to sweep everything, and that sort of annoys me. lol Not sure why. I just don't feel connected to it yet since I haven't seen it yet.

I am rooting for The Help, but I doubt it will win.

Concert Stars
    OMG it is so hard to believe that Michelle Williams is doing this good in Marilyn! Wow! She is amazing in this role.

I still see her as the Dawson's Creek girl sometimes. lol

I had no Idea Emma Watson was in this film! YAY! so nice to see her transitioning from Harry Potter.

Concert Stars
    I loved My Week with Mariliyn! I can't believe it took me so long to get to a movie that is soo good! Ahh. Michelle Williams is great and Kenneth Branagh is just brilliant as Laurence Olivier. If both of them won tonight I would be happy... but back to reality, neither will. Anyway, the first half of the movie I was like, "What the heck? Branagh's the lead of this film," haha. Anyway, I'm not going to say too much 'cause I'm going to post my really fast predictions for tonight, haha.

Best Picture
    Winner: The Artist
    Alternate: Hugo
    Preference: The Artist

Best Director
    Winner: Michel Hazanavcius, The Artist
    Alternate: Martin Scorsese, Hugo
    Preference: Martin Scorsese, Hugo

Best Actor
    Winner: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
    Alternate: George Clooney, The Descendants
    Preference: Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best Actress
    Winner: Viola Davis, The Help
    Alternate: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
    Preference: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

Best Supporting Actor
    Winner: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
    Alternate: Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    Preference: Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn

Best Supporting Actress
    Winner: Octavia Spencer, The Help
    Alternate: Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
    Preference: Bérénice Bejo, The Artist

Best Original Screenplay
    Winner: Midnight in Paris
    Alternate: The Artist
    Preference: A Separation OR Midnight in Paris

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Winner: The Descendants
    Alternate: Moneyball
    Preference: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best Animated Film
    Winner: Rango
    Alternate: Puss in Boots

Foreign Language Film
    Winner: A Separation
    Alternate: Monsieur Lahzar

Score
    Preference: The Artist

Song
    Winner: Man or Muppet
    Alternate: Real in Rio (Ahahahaha)

Documentary
    Winner: Pina
    Alternate: If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front

Art Direction

Visual Effects
    Winner: Hugo
    Alternate: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2

Makeup
    Winner: The Iron Lady
    Preference: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2

Cinematography
    Winner: The Tree of Life

Costume Design
    Winner: Jane Eyre

Editing
    Winner: Hugo

Happy Oscar Morning Everyone!!! Ill post my predictions later, didnt get a chance to look at yours katie but no doubt theyll be the same lol

•  
    Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast