Page 327 of 456 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377427 ... LastLast
Results 6,521 to 6,540 of 9109
Like Tree22923Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood.....Greatest Hits: Decade #1 ERA

Huge Carrie Follower
    guys, antimusic has a review of SITW but I cant seem to open it. can anyone access it?

Concert Stars
    I'm Jason and FGL should die down pretty quickly. I'm just hoping she can still increase a bit to pass SIA and AATB
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    There is no reason to think this song will not get a video. I think it is going to be a #1 song. Why would it not have a video.........?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Review: ?Something in the Water? by Carrie Underwood ? EST. 1997

Carrie Underwood has never been shy about her Christian faith. Her first full single, after all, was “Jesus, Take the Wheel.” It was a huge country hit, but it was also a top 5 hit on the Christian Songs chart. With that in mind, the religious nature of her new single “Something in the Water” shouldn’t come as a surprise. It is a bit unexpected, though, considering the current climate of the country music industry. “Bro country” has been dominating the country airwaves for a few years now, in part meaning that songs by women have had a tough time finding an audience. Underwood is one of the few females who can consistently generate hits, and with “Something in the Water” she is sending a clear message that there is more to sing about than dirt roads, hometowns, and alcohol.

Country radio has been unfriendly (if not bitter) to female voices as of late. Not only have female artists struggled to find radio support, but meaningful songs about females (even from a male voice) have been few and far between. The release of Underwood’s new single could be perfect timing since all trends are cyclical. Can “Something in the Water” help re-assert a more female – and a more religious – voice at country radio? That remains to be seen. It’s a fact, though, that “Something in the Water” is overtly religious in its lyrical theme. It’s not a song that is focused on a story where faith is a by-product or where the Bible gets a stock reference. With overt references to baptism and the inclusion of “Amazing Grace,” there is no doubt “Something in the Water” is a worship song.

Whether intentional or not, the lyrics referring to a wasted life but then breaking into “Amazing Grace” easily hold a subtext about the wasteful songs on radio and how there needs to be an embrace of songs with a deeper, abiding meaning. Having said all of that, the lyrics aren’t overly insightful, and some of the lines are fairly basic; for instance, the rhyme of “grace” and “face” is more Katy Perry than Katherine Porter.

“Something in the Water” has unaffected, mid-tempo production also more in line with Christian music than classic country (there is banjo, but it’s not mixed prominently). Guitars are placed at the forefront, and the undercurrent of the song is a Coldplay-lite piano line that is used to nice effect when the production drops out entering the chorus. Toward the end of the track, a gospel choir comes in to sing “Amazing Grace.” As always, though, Underwood’s vocals are what shine through over everything else. For the most part, her vocal on this song has real clarity and strength. It’s also nice to hear Underwood use her head voice, as she does at the start of the chorus when the instruments back out. Little of this suggests mainstream crossover success, and thus the single is another reminder that Carrie never actively sought mainstream popularity.

“Something in the Water” is a new single off of Underwood’s upcoming greatest hits set, which has the tag line of “Decade #1.” The song is a representation of Underwood as a person. It’s also a full circle moment for Underwood to return to a similar theme to the debut single that proved she was a voice – and a commercial force – with whom to be reckoned. That fact is heightened by the story being told in first person as opposed to the third person story-telling with which she began her career.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I just have to say that the more I hear SITW, the more I love it. The beat and the drums are just infectious. I can't get the Amazing Grace part out of my head. I know some people have talked in this thread about wishing Carrie had used a little more nuance in the song or a softer vocal, but I love it the way it is. When you are singing to/for God, you sing to the heavens and I think Carrie's vocal performance does just that in SITW - no holding back whatsoever and that is how it should be when you are singing to God! Carrie was probably having her own little worship session in the studio, lol.

Concert Stars
    The inclusion of Amazing Grace in the background at the end is pure genius and gives the song the ability to make a listener, mainly me, shed a tear.
    PRGuy79, oldyfan, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I just have to say that the more I hear SITW, the more I love it. The beat and the drums are just infectious. I can't get the Amazing Grace part out of my head. I know some people have talked in this thread about wishing Carrie had used a little more nuance in the song or a softer vocal, but I love it the way it is. When you are singing to/for God, you sing to the heavens and I think Carrie's vocal performance does just that in SITW - no holding back whatsoever and that is how it should be when you are singing to God! Carrie was probably having her own little worship session in the studio, lol.
    Not only singing to the heavens, but putting absolutely everything she has into it.
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    That's a good point. : )
    oldyfan and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Slightly off-topic, but having just heard THREE killer tunes by Our Miss Carrie within a teensy-weensy seventy-nine minutes (somebody get the lovely Teesharky some smelling salts like YESTERDAY slowpoke!!), thank goodness that country radio has shrunk the amount of time between hearing two or more songs by the same artist to less than an hour over the past couple of years with NO risk of suffering a decline in TSL (Time Spent Listening) numbers.

Hearing 'SITW' @ 6:37 AM, 'SYA' @ 7:21 AM and the downright wonderful 'Wasted' @ 7:56 AM is a wonderful way to start anyone's day, and thanks to a very robust opening day total of 1,095 spins for 'SITW', yet another debut in the mid-twenties on 'CT 40' a week from Saturday is a foregone conclusion.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    What an inspirational-song year for Carrie.. We had KUS, AIW, SITW, and she covered EH! She's such an angel!
    AIW is probably my fave among the 4
    Gator and oldyfan like this.

Huge Carrie Follower

Junior Carrie Follower
    I agree 100%. The structure of the song, its lyrics and the tempo of it remind me of some American folk hymns taken from Southern Baptist churches that are sung at my home church. Although I am Catholic, some Baptist hymns are sung, especially during particular points during a Mass or during Baptism. The manner in which they are sung is exactly like how Carrie sings SITW. They're supposed to be uplifting hymns that are fast-paced and just make you wanna clap your hands and move. Like the production for BA was correct to enhance the feeling of the song, I think the manner in which Carrie sings SITW is correct considering the lyrics and Carrie being raised a Baptist.
    ethelu, oldyfan, Kizmet311 and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILHUNK View Post

"This is the true “anti Bro-Country” salvo country music has been lacking—one that doesn’t write its plan as the exact opposite of the scribblings in Bro-Country’s playbook"

love this part.Maddie and Tae should take notes from Carrie on how it's done.
    Ann055, ethelu, oldyfan and 2 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    oldyfan, opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Do you guys think any of the other new tracks will be a single once SITW peaks?I know Im thinking way too far ahead LOL

Junior Carrie Follower
    ^I think that's the best review Carrie's ever gotten from Saving Country Music. I drop in every now and then to read some of the articles on there. They really hate the bro-country guys; they want them long gone.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by NEILHUNK View Post
    Great review. Love these statements also:

"A wide, sweeping undertaking, “Something In The Water” sees Carrie Underwood carve out the sweet spot for her voice and make an inspiring and faith-based composition the vessel to illustrate the mighty ferocity of her God-given vocal prowess, along with instilling the moments with an elegance and grace that in unison swell to achieve one awe-inspiring performance height."

"Carrie Underwood once again proves she’s one of the strongest singers of this generation."

Junior Carrie Follower
    That first review though; I love that the writer likes SITW, but I can't take him seriously when he says that the songwriting and themes have gotten progressively worse and lists BA as one of those "progressively worse" songs. Yeah, the one that won its writers a Grammy for Best Country Song, and won Carrie a Grammy for Best Vocal Performance. Ok genius.
    jptexas, oldyfan and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Do you guys think any of the other new tracks will be a single once SITW peaks?I know Im thinking way too far ahead LOL
    I think so.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    What appears to be one of the few potential downside to her forthcoming CD if indeed there are any is that several of the tunes will have to be edited since the capacity of a single CD has been stuck at around 80 minutes for years AFAIK, assuming that it will include at least one or two more new songs in addition to 'SITW'.
    oldyfan likes this.

•