Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 332
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Rants Thread

  1. #41
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Anyone who calls Nirvana a one hit wonder and irrelevant clearly needs to brush up on their music history knowledge. (And don't even get me started on comments like "thank goodness Kurt killed himself, good riddance!" Ughhh)
    This is gonna sound incredibly rude, but this is why most young kids on the internet annoy me. So many of them just act like blind stans who will literally do or say anything for attention. I'm all for freedom of speech, but when you say "good riddance" to someone who had a lot of talent and fought so many demons for so many years, you need to take a step back. Not only is it insane to say Brit is more talented/relevant than Nirvana, but this girl's comment about Kurt just proves how desperate and pathetic some people can be. Reading anything like that makes me sad to live in this generation; it's sick.

    It annoys me to no end that so many people think they're entitled to say what they want because they're sitting behind a computer. Just because you're entitled to an opinion doesn't mean it's appropriate to say whatever you want. People really need to think before they speak, or learn some respect and not say anything at all.

    Sidenote: Jess, you should totally revive your Nirvana thread because I'm craving some rock right about now.

  • #42
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    I was the last one to post in it! haha.

  • #43
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Since we don't really have a place to post random things, I wanted to post this amazing story.




    Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars, all in the same day.

    Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. on a bike. Makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right? And what has Rick done for his father? Not much, except save his life.

    This love story began in Winchester, Mass., 43 years ago, when Rick was strangled by the umbilical cord during birth, leaving him brain-damaged and unable to control his limbs.

    "He'll be a vegetable the rest of his life," Dick says doctors told him and his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. "Put him in an institution."

    But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They noticed the way Rick's eyes followed them around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the engineering department at Tufts University and asked if there was anything to help the boy communicate. "No way," Dick says he was told. "There's nothing going on in his brain."

    "Tell him a joke," Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out a lot was going on in his brain.

    Rigged up with a computer that allowed him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the side of his head, Rick was finally able to communicate. First words? "Go Bruins!" And after a high school classmate was paralyzed in an accident and the school organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, "Dad, I want to do that."

    Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described "porker" who never ran more than a mile at a time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he tried. "Then it was me who was handicapped," Dick says. "I was sore for two weeks." That day changed Rick's life. "Dad," he typed, "when we were running, it felt like I wasn't disabled anymore!"

    And that sentence changed Dick's life. He became obsessed with giving Rick that feeling as often as he could. He got into such hard-belly shape that he and Rick were ready to try the 1979 Boston Marathon. "No way," Dick was told by a race official. The Hoyts weren't quite a single runner, and they weren't quite a wheelchair competitor. For a few years Dick and Rick just joined the massive field and ran anyway, then they found a way to get into the race officially: In 1983 they ran another marathon so fast they made the qualifying time for Boston the following year.

    Then somebody said, "Hey, Dick, why not a triathlon?"
    How's a guy who never learned to swim and hadn't ridden a bike since he was six going to haul his 110-pound kid through a triathlon? Still, Dick tried.

    Now they've done 212 triathlons, including four grueling 15-hour Ironmans in Hawaii. It must be a buzzkill to be a 25-year-old stud getting passed by an old guy towing a grown man in a dinghy, don't you think?

    Hey, Dick, why not see how you'd do on your own? "No way," he says. Dick does it purely for "the awesome feeling" he gets seeing Rick with a cantaloupe smile as they run, swim and ride together.

    This year, at ages 65 and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best time? Two hours, 40 minutes in 1992, only 35 minutes off the world record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things, happens to be held by a guy who was not pushing another man in a wheelchair at the time.

    "No question about it," Rick types. "My dad is the Father of the Century."

    And Dick got something else out of all this too. Two years ago he had a mild heart attack during a race. Doctors found that one of his arteries was 95% clogged. "If you hadn't been in such great shape," one doctor told him, "you probably would've died 15 years ago."

    So, in a way, Dick and Rick saved each other's life.
    Rick, who has his own apartment (he gets home care) and works in Boston, and Dick, retired from the military and living in Holland, Mass., always find ways to be together. They give speeches around the country and compete in some backbreaking race every weekend, including this Father's Day.

    That night, Rick will buy his dad dinner, but the thing he really wants to give him is a gift he can never buy.

    "The thing I'd most like," Rick types, "is that my dad sit in the chair and I push him once."

    Written by Rick Reilly,
    Sports Illustrated 2005.

  • #44
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Wow, that is an incredible story. It gave me chills.

  • #45
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Wow, that is an incredible story. It gave me chills.
    I cried. I'm such a sap. LOL.

  • #46
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I was quite enjoying reading your convo with that person, but then he/she blocked me so I can't read their tweets anymore. lol
    You got blocked? Did you tweet her at some point and I missed it or something? x) I'm shocked she didn't block me. In fact, not only did she not block me, she ended up following me. O_O

    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Actually... they are the weaker ones. It's not easy at all to be polite to people who have been treated you badly, and to not bear grudges. To not let our emotions overcome our rationale, judgment and manners is a lot harder.

    Good on you for being able to do that!
    Thank you for this. The juxtaposition between my mom and sister and me always puts me in a bad mood. My sister has become self-absorbed (she's the type of person who yells at you for using the restroom when she needs to) and my mom is lovely and all but she's a total fire and brimstone person lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    I had the biggest crush on Britney, I've developed a crush on her sister because she looks like Britney, and I've been one of her consistent supporters.



    But anyone who claims she's more relevant than Nirvana is on crack.
    Ouch! The truth hurts.

    I didn't think Jamie Lynn looked much like Britney. On a related note, am I the only one who thought she was by far the weakest link on Zoey 101? Her acting was fine, but her character had no personality. She makes Cinderella look multi-dimensional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    This is gonna sound incredibly rude, but this is why most young kids on the internet annoy me. So many of them just act like blind stans who will literally do or say anything for attention. I'm all for freedom of speech, but when you say "good riddance" to someone who had a lot of talent and fought so many demons for so many years, you need to take a step back. Not only is it insane to say Brit is more talented/relevant than Nirvana, but this girl's comment about Kurt just proves how desperate and pathetic some people can be. Reading anything like that makes me sad to live in this generation; it's sick.

    It annoys me to no end that so many people think they're entitled to say what they want because they're sitting behind a computer. Just because you're entitled to an opinion doesn't mean it's appropriate to say whatever you want. People really need to think before they speak, or learn some respect and not say anything at all.

    Sidenote: Jess, you should totally revive your Nirvana thread because I'm craving some rock right about now.
    What really bugged me is when I said, "If Britney killed herself, would that tarnish her legacy?" and the person replied, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT BRITNEY HAS BEEN THROUGH?" As though I haven't been alive for the past fifteen years of Britney's career. x) The response was dumb anyway since I was asking a hypothetical.

  • #47
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Anyone who calls Nirvana a one hit wonder and irrelevant clearly needs to brush up on their music history knowledge. (And don't even get me started on comments like "thank goodness Kurt killed himself, good riddance!" Ughhh)
    You are going to track down that person and kick their ass aren't you?

    I don't know how anyone would consider them a one hit wonder when Nevermind is considered by a lot of people in the industry as one of the best albums ever.

  • #48
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    You got blocked? Did you tweet her at some point and I missed it or something? x) I'm shocked she didn't block me. In fact, not only did she not block me, she ended up following me. O_O
    I never even tweeted her I don't think, I was just tweeting Karen about it and then the girl started following me. A few minutes later I noticed she blocked me. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    You are going to track down that person and kick their ass aren't you?

    I don't know how anyone would consider them a one hit wonder when Nevermind is considered by a lot of people in the industry as one of the best albums ever.
    Not only that, but their influence on rock music is pretty much undeniable for anyone who knows anything about the genre.

  • #49
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    Nirvana singlehandedly changed the entire rock music scene in the '90s.

  • #50
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Nirvana singlehandedly changed the entire rock music scene in the '90s.
    And people changed it before them, too.

    I saw an article today that blasted "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as one of the ten most overrated songs ever. lol.

  • #51
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    And people changed it before them, too.

    I saw an article today that blasted "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as one of the ten most overrated songs ever. lol.
    I don't know - I could understand some people being sick of the song, but that's not really the same as it being overrated. Its influence was massive, and it was the catalyst for an album that (like Nicole said) single-handedly changed the face of rock music in the 90s. So I think it'd be a little hard for it to be overrated, because of that.

  • #52
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I don't know - I could understand some people being sick of the song, but that's not really the same as it being overrated. Its influence was massive, and it was the catalyst for an album that (like Nicole said) single-handedly changed the face of rock music in the 90s. So I think it'd be a little hard for it to be overrated, because of that.
    Well, that's true. But everybody is always going to find some songs overrated, even if they did have a massive influence on the industry itself. But I completely see your point that some people could view something as 'overrated' simply because it's overplayed and mentioned the most.

    I can see that argument, too, though, because more often than not, the biggest hits DON'T represent an artists best work, so I could where the hardcore fans are coming from. To them, it's 'overrated' because there are far better songs in their catalog, but in reality the massive influence can't be denied, so it probably doesn't deserve the distinction of being truly 'overrated' in terms of impact.

    Like, I don't like the original SOCM, but I wouldn't call it 'overrated' just because it's the song everyone knows and I prefer others over it.

  • #53
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Well, that's true. But everybody is always going to find some songs overrated, even if they did have a massive influence on the industry itself. But I completely see your point that some people could view something as 'overrated' simply because it's overplayed and mentioned the most.

    I can see that argument, too, though, because more often than not, the biggest hits DON'T represent an artists best work, so I could where the hardcore fans are coming from. To them, it's 'overrated' because there are far better songs in their catalog, but in reality the massive influence can't be denied, so it probably doesn't deserve the distinction of being truly 'overrated' in terms of impact.

    Like, I don't like the original SOCM, but I wouldn't call it 'overrated' just because it's the song everyone knows and I prefer others over it.
    You know, that's very true. As a fan, I'd probably call SLTS overrated too, since it doesn't even come close to being their best song. It's probably not even in my top 15 or top 20.

  • #54
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    To me, it depends on what you mean by overrated. If you mean it by, like, you believe there were better songs by that band/artist, then I'd definitely call that valid. But I hate when people say it as a way to cushion the impact said song made, y'know? It's like whether I like "Black Sabbath" (the song) or not, I cannot deny that it created heavy metal, and for that, it is not overrated. So it just depends on context.

    I'd say SLTS is slightly overrated (I still think the energy is amazing) as a Nirvana song, but it is by no means overrated as an iconic song.

  • #55
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    When you trend set like The Beatles, Nirvana, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. and people say that they are overrated they are either haters, stupid or both.

  • #56
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    To me, it depends on what you mean by overrated. If you mean it by, like, you believe there were better songs by that band/artist, then I'd definitely call that valid. But I hate when people say it as a way to cushion the impact said song made, y'know? It's like whether I like "Black Sabbath" (the song) or not, I cannot deny that it created heavy metal, and for that, it is not overrated. So it just depends on context.

    I'd say SLTS is slightly overrated (I still think the energy is amazing) as a Nirvana song, but it is by no means overrated as an iconic song.
    That's a good way of putting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    When you trend set like The Beatles, Nirvana, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. and people say that they are overrated they are either haters, stupid or both.
    You speak the truth!

  • #57
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    This whole thing slightly reminds me of when Carrie fans got mad at me on Twitter for saying Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, and Aretha Franklin are better greater and better than Carrie. They weren't THAT bad, though.

    I wish somebody would make a special documenting the landmarks in music. Personally, my knowledge of music history pretty much begins in the '50s. That's THOUSANDS OF YEARS OF MUSIC that I'm completely ignorant of.

  • #58
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2996--nfl.html

    What a bunch of knuckleheads posting the things they did about the young lady.

  • #59
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    This whole thing slightly reminds me of when Carrie fans got mad at me on Twitter for saying Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, and Aretha Franklin are better greater and better than Carrie. They weren't THAT bad, though.

    I wish somebody would make a special documenting the landmarks in music. Personally, my knowledge of music history pretty much begins in the '50s. That's THOUSANDS OF YEARS OF MUSIC that I'm completely ignorant of.
    From a technical standpoint, Mariah and Whitney are better than Carrie; both are celebrated as two of the best singers of all-time. But, that doesn't discredit Carrie's talent in any way. She's still an amazing singer, no matter who she's compared to.

    The thing that bugs me most, though, is that Carrie fans almost feel the need to convince everyone why Carrie is better than everyone on the planet. Yes, she's amazing, but it's completely ignorant to say she's the best vocalist ever. From a technical standpoint, she's not. Just because you stan for someone doesn't mean you should believe they are the one and only impossible standard.

    Very few artists ever match that level of talent, although I'd put Whitney, Celine, and Mariah near the top.

    Mariah has never been a favorite of mine, and I think she's become a bit of a parody of her former self in recent years. From a technical standpoint, she was fantastic, but my dislike stems more from dislike of her material than her talent.

    And I'd personally say Whitney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Celine >>>>>>>>>> Mariah, but that's just my personal preference.

    I think it's fine to consider anyone 'overrated' if you choose to. There have been plenty of songs and artists that I find 'overrated' because I either think the song is average, the singer is average, or both. I'm not a Beatles fan at all, but I wouldn't call them overrated, because no one can deny that they changed the face of pop music. The same goes for MJ, Whitney, Celine, and so many others. To me, there's a difference between finding the material overrated and finding the IMPACT of the artist overrated. Impact cannot be debated, and I suppose technical talent can't be overrated, either. But, labeling something as overrated because it's overplayed is an entirely different issue.

    I personally think Whitney is the best singer of all-time. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of talent like Mariah, Celine, Whitney, etc ever again, and it's sad. The power diva style just doesn't seem to be accepted anymore, and we're missing out on some amazing talent because of it.

    This discussion reminds me of something else I can't stand, actually. I hate it when fans label a certain artist a legend when they haven't earned it. It takes time to earn that label, and just because you sell a lot of records and concert tickets doesn't mean you deserve to be up there with the best artists ever. I consider many modern artists 'overrated' because I just don't see the same impact/talent in certain artists, but their stans go on and as if they're already labeled 'legends.' No. Sit down.

  • #60
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    I haven't done a technical breakdown between them, but I think Aretha Franklin might be better than Whitney. They're certainly the top 2. I'm not insulting Carrie by not placing her in their tier. In fact, I think that just shows how amazing these women are if even Carrie freaking Underwood can't touch them.

    From a personal standpoint, Whitney's actually my least favorite of those three. Her voice doesn't do anything for me, and I prefer Mariah and Celine's material.

    Well, by the same token, you cannot deny a song's impact. Sometimes it's not even the artist that's making the impact; it's the song. Like I said, I think it totally depends on context. If someone formulates a best Nirvana songs list and places SLTS at the top, I would certainly say, "Get that overrated mess out of the top 10!" However, if someone formulates a greatest rock songs ever list and places SLTS in the top 10, that's quite alright with me. It's probably the only '90s song that would deserve a top 10 placement actually.

    Re: the legends thing, it depends on context once again for me. I know a lot of people do it more in jest than anything. The people who are serious when they call certain artists "legends," though, really piss me off because other artists worked hard to earn their title.


  •  
    Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. NFL Thread
      By JB172 in forum Sports
      Replies: 1684
      Last Post: 12-19-2017, 06:47 AM
    2. MLB Thread
      By imacubsfan in forum Sports
      Replies: 1460
      Last Post: 10-23-2016, 10:04 PM
    3. Why Was This Thread Just Closed??
      By carriefann in forum Dazed & Confused?
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
    4. Theme Thread
      By Naco1776 in forum American Idol Chatter
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 05-20-2011, 01:18 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •