Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Where I live

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Where I live

This isn't my video, and the dogs in it aren't mine - but I found it on You Tube, and I thought some of my overseas friends might like to see what my countryside is like. We call these chalk hills the South Downs, in Sussex - where they run into the sea, they make the famous white cliffs. A lot of wind and not many trees! There are prehistoric burial mounds up here, going back 3000 years. Some houses near me show up in the distance at the end of the video.

Concert Stars
    Wow, how cool.
    Thnaks so much for sharing.
    Looks a bit chilly!
    I can almost imagine riding my horse across the moors to catch a spot of tea with the neighbors.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Thanks for posting this Far!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I like it!

Concert Stars
    Thanks for sharing.

Concert Stars
    Nice. Why are there no trees? Was it because of cutting them down for heat/farming a while back or is it because, well, you don't have any?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The trees are in the sheltered hollows, and in the hangers on the sides of the downs. There aren't much more than thorn bushes up on the downs themselves (ha, I've just thought "up on the downs" probably sounds silly, but that's what we call them. There are South Downs in Sussex, and North Downs in Surrey) The soil is pretty thin, with chalk near the surface, and the wind, and (traditionally) sheep grazing stopped much growing. Not many farmers graze sheep now, but some are still moved from hill to hill every few days.
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Beautiful - I loved just looking at how green and beautiful everything was. The dogs are pretty cute too!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Thank you so much for sharing. It reminded me of something about preconceived notions. Where I was born and lived til 6 years ago was very hilly, fertile farmland. My road was gravel until 10 years ago. When I moved to Charlotte everyone assumed when I said I was from upstate NY that it was just like NY city.....skyscrapers and congestion. They were confused by my talk of my mennonite neighbors.....finally I had to explain how radically different my are wasf from NY city. I made the same mistake. I assumed all of England was much like London, mainly because of the fact that England itself it a smaller country.....I just assumed it had lost all of its original rural areas. Very beautiful as well as enlightening. It always pays not to assume.

Carrie Guru
    Looks like a very peaceful place to live.

•