Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar

Broken Ankle Question.

Hey all. I have a question for anyone that has broken an ankle before, as I sit here with one.
    I have a hard cast on now and am able to get a "air cast" after 3 weeks. Is that a good idea, or should I just stick it out?
    im getting too much conflicting info online. Some say It heals faster with the air cast and my dr says the opposite?
    Anyone out there have any advise? Thanks all. And dont break a leg.lol

Well, I'm probably not alot of help because I broke a bunch of bones in my foot and had to have surgery and ended up in a cast for 9 months, non weight-bearing. Drag for sure!! But if your dr. says a hard cast, I'd go with that. That's just me, but I just know from my experience, feet and ankles are nothing to take for granted and I'd do exactly what your dr. wants you to do. They tried everything on me before a trauma surgeon finally stepped in & he scheduled surgery 1 day after seeing my films. Good luck -- do what your dr. says & you'll be good as new soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Well, I'm probably not alot of help because I broke a bunch of bones in my foot and had to have surgery and ended up in a cast for 9 months, non weight-bearing. Drag for sure!! But if your dr. says a hard cast, I'd go with that. That's just me, but I just know from my experience, feet and ankles are nothing to take for granted and I'd do exactly what your dr. wants you to do. They tried everything on me before a trauma surgeon finally stepped in & he scheduled surgery 1 day after seeing my films. Good luck -- do what your dr. says & you'll be good as new soon!!!
    wow I guess I shouldnt complain about 6 weeks. Sorry to hear about your experience. I broke my ankle in a couple places and they said it should heal just fine. I have a walking cast and actually the second day I could actually slowly put pressure and walk on it. They said I could try if it didnt hurt. I think I was able to because it was still numb/swollen. Now its been one week and I dont put any pressure on. Worst thing is when I get up and the pain from the blood rushing down. I was told that is normal. Oh well.. thanks for your help..Hope all is well for you now.. Good news for me also, is that it happened at work, so I am covered.

Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    wow I guess I shouldnt complain about 6 weeks. Sorry to hear about your experience. I broke my ankle in a couple places and they said it should heal just fine. I have a walking cast and actually the second day I could actually slowly put pressure and walk on it. They said I could try if it didnt hurt. I think I was able to because it was still numb/swollen. Now its been one week and I dont put any pressure on. Worst thing is when I get up and the pain from the blood rushing down. I was told that is normal. Oh well.. thanks for your help..Hope all is well for you now.. Good news for me also, is that it happened at work, so I am covered.
    Is ok, you can complain...any time off your foot is hard to deal with. But, the good news is, you'll be good as new in the near future!!! Also good news that your employer is covering any expense. And thank you, I'm ok -- 10 years and a bunch of pins and screws later -- but I'm fine, except for the weather sometimes, but just makes it ache. I can walk just fine, so I'm very thankful they were able to fix it all up!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    As Ann already said listen to your Dr.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    As Ann already said listen to your Dr.
    i agree!

Insane Carrie Fan buckeyecarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I've never done more than sprained my ankle(and I've done that about 20 times), I'd listen to the doctor. They know what they're talking about.

The thing with foot injuries is they don't always feel that bad. You'll be tempted to get back up and at it the minute it feels better. Don't do it. Give it time to heal right and strengthen back up. It may feel like you're walking just fine, but you're more likely to injure it all over again. Believe me.....I wouldn't have bone chips now and about half of my sprains could have been prevented if I just hadn't pushed it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyecarriefan View Post
    I've never done more than sprained my ankle(and I've done that about 20 times), I'd listen to the doctor. They know what they're talking about.

The thing with foot injuries is they don't always feel that bad. You'll be tempted to get back up and at it the minute it feels better. Don't do it. Give it time to heal right and strengthen back up. It may feel like you're walking just fine, but you're more likely to injure it all over again. Believe me.....I wouldn't have bone chips now and about half of my sprains could have been prevented if I just hadn't pushed it.
    You are right. On the second day I was actually putting pressure and walking on it slowly and saying it wasnt gonna be that bad. Looking back I think that was mainly because it was still swollen.
    Now after one week I dont even put any pressure on it. Its fine when I lay on the couch, but when I get up..Ouuuuuuch. That blood rushing back down is unbelievably painful.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    Hey all. I have a question for anyone that has broken an ankle before, as I sit here with one.
    I have a hard cast on now and am able to get a "air cast" after 3 weeks. Is that a good idea, or should I just stick it out?
    im getting too much conflicting info online. Some say It heals faster with the air cast and my dr says the opposite?
    Anyone out there have any advise? Thanks all. And dont break a leg.lol
    Did you break a bone or did you sprain your ankle they are two different things. Actually putting a broken ankle on a regular cast works fine because the cast it hard and stiff so you don't can't move your ankle around too much as it heals. The main thing is to keep your ankle from moving around. I sprained my ankle a few times and it swells ups really bad because I can't even walk straight because putting any weight on it hurts. If you need to go to work with a broken ankle ask your doctor if you can wear an ankle boot because my auntie sprained her ankle and she asked her doctor if she can wear an ankle boot because she works 12 hours a day as a nurse and she can't miss work.

•