Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar

To Imac Or Not to Imac. That is the Question?

Hello all you lovely Carriefans on this place called planet earth.
    I am thinking of Changing. No not from Carrie to Taylor.
    From a PC to a Mac. Is that a good idea or not? I know it would be a big change, but i have yet to hear anything bad about Imac except the price.
    Then the other decision. Do I go for a 21.5 inch or 27 inch? I did see the 27 the other day and it does look huge.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I also assume that the Imac that is out now was just released? Doesnt seem to have a Bluray slot which sucks.
    Thanks all
    Brian

Concert Stars
    If we had an Apple store here, I'd change....love my Iphone!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It depends a bit on what aspect of computing you're interested in. PCs are modular, so you can install different parts in them easily. So if you think you'd want to change the motherboard or CPU, install expansion cards or extra hard drives, a PC is much more flexible. Also, you can install and run different operating systems, and dual boot between them. For example - I've built two computers from parts (I couldn't do that with an Apple, which is a closed, proprietary system.) Also, I'm running Linux (not Microsoft) on this PC.

However, if none of that interests you, it wouldn't matter. Apple Macs tend to be a bit more expensive, but they're reliable, and well designed. There's less software available, and you tend to have less choice, but they're also not so liable to be targeted by viruses or malware. (Linux is safer still - but it can be harder to get used to, and you have to persevere). I think Apple OSX is pretty easy to get used to.

Apple used to be favoured by design and graphic workers, but I'm told that advantage has largely disappeared with modern PCs.

For displays, most people would probably advise you to go for the largest screen you can afford.

Concert Stars
    ^exactly. I have a Mac desktop and I love it! However, doing school work is sometimes difficult because many schools are not Mac friendly, the same with offices etc. Thats why I have a PC laptop for those reasons stated.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I have an iMac and love it. It is so easy to increase and decrease your viewing area. IDK, the new OS of a pc might have the same feature. For $99 a year you can purchase apple lessons and schedule weekly lessons. The instructors are patient and knowledgeable.
    I also love the wireless feature. The monitor is the main computer. The keyboard and mouse are wireless and have a comfortable design.
    You can buy a program called "parallels desktop" that enables you to use pc programs.

Concert Stars
    Without buying the extra parrells software, you can run the Mac program bootcamp that divides the drive into two, and you can run Windows or Mac individually on the same computer switching by a simple reboot.
    I think the only drawback of the imac is (as mentioned above) the Blu-Ray issue. Essentially any Sony hardware is not compatible with mac.
    I've used the same Imac for a few years now, and just this year encountered my first realization that I have a "slower computer" that cannot take newer software, which in itself is pretty good, since a PC might have a shorter lifespan unless you replace parts.

thanks for the help/advise guys and gals. I will probably be getting the 27 inch Imac. I was looking at some "touchscreen" PC's. But I kinda think its just a bit of a gimmick. Yah its fun and interesting for a few minutes. But I cannot see myself sitting infront of my computer for an hour or so and swiping my hand across the screen. How long does it take before you start getting shoulder/arm/ pain?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I certainly agree there - touch screens are suitable for objects you hold, or lie flat on the table. For a vertical desktop, it would soon be painful to keep stretching and groping forward for the screen!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    My sister uses her ipad all the time for work. She gets her email and other things on it when she is on the road but her pc is what she uses at work. Imac or PC is just a preference but I am not sure about imac because they allow pc emulation. What does that say? I am a Microsoft person so I am bias.

my next question is about whats with the heat coming from the top of the fan from the Imac? Can you feel it making the room hotter? I know it is normal, but ... Someone was commenting about it making his room about 10 degrees hotter..Yikes. i had a plasma tv that did bring up the temp in my living room a bit.

New Carrie Fan
    Great Info in here, Thanks for the responses!!!

New Carrie Fan
    Just spent the week-end working with my new iPhone, along with my iPad and iMac to get everything coordinated. Had to upgrade my iMac to Lion so that I could use iCloud. Man, this is going to be great. I have to change my email to the .me account but it will be worth it to have all the email organized on the iCloud server so that I don't have to go through and repeat mail actions over and over. Also, the Contacts, Browser settings etc, will all be coordinated. Mac is the way to go.

James, does this count as an activity to keep you from deleting me?

•