Thread: Diwali!

Diwali!

It's Diwali! The Great Festival of Lights! Or, as I described to a friend here at college, "It's Christmas, only brighter and less snow"

So happy Diwali to anyone celebrating it, and anyone who isn't too. The superstitious consider it to be the time when good luck goes around, so I pray every CF gets loads of prosperity, and the SWSRN fans get some too, but just smaller amounts

On a less cheery note, it's my first Diwali away from the family. Not fun. I miss the parents, the house, AND MOST OF ALL THE FOOD!

Anyway, hope you all have a good day, and most of all hope we get the patience to wait for album #4!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ooh, I learned about Diwali in my Fine Arts Survey class last year!! Don't they celebrate that in India? And we made little paper laterns for the "Festival of Lights"! And thank you! Happy Diwali to you too!

just another fan

Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    ooh, I learned about Diwali in my Fine Arts Survey class last year!! Don't they celebrate that in India? And we made little paper laterns for the "Festival of Lights"! And thank you! Happy Diwali to you too!
    it is one of the main festivals in the Hindu religion. Hinduism is the main religion in India, and is celebrated there and other countries with significant communities of Indian descent.

Quote Originally Posted by carriefann View Post
    Yeah, it's the biggest Hindu festival, the only common to all the various branches of the religion. Despite that, it's not really a religious festival. Like I said, basically it's Christmas - essentially a religious holiday, but celebrated with a lot of zest even if you're not religious....Good food, new clothes, gold for women, and most of all family-bonding!

It literally means the festival of Lights, which means a lot of oil lamps and firecrackers (although I'm opposed to the firecrackers - they're terrible for the environment).

And again, Happy Diwali!! Good wishes to all

•