Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Harry Potter at Universal Studios - Questions

Well, my husband and I just booked a hotel in Orlando for fall break in October. Now, we're trying to decide which theme parks to go to with his kids. We have an 8 year old girl and a 13 year old boy. They have both been to Disney before and Sea World, but I'm not sure if they've been to every Disney park or just the Magic Kingdom. Also not sure if they have been to Universal at all. We're only going to have two full days to do theme parks, so we can't do everything. We'll get there on a Sunday, have Monday and Tuesday to do parks, and leave on Wednesday.

Anyway, both me and my stepson are HUGE Harry Potter fans and he hasn't had the chance to go to the HP theme park at Universal, so that is going to be a definite stop. I was reading up on it and the rides within it and was hoping maybe someone here had been and could give me some advice. I'm obviously stoked about getting to walk through Hogwart's and Hogsmeade and going through all the shops and eating at the Three Broomsticks, but my biggest concern is the rides. I hate amusement park rides. Seriously, the carousel is about as exciting a ride as I'll get on! When I was a kid I adored the Scrambler and Tilt-a-Whirl, but for some reason as I got older I got afraid of them. And I've never been a roller coaster fan. Anyway, I know that the Dragon Challenge is a no-go for me, because it's a true coaster. I'm sure my husband and stepson will ride it, and I'm not sure that my stepdaughter is even tall enough for it. Even if she is, I'm not sure she's really old enough for a true coaster. Then there is the Flight of the Hippogriff which is a "family" coaster. Since you only have to be 36" tall to ride it, I'm assuming that my stepdaughter and I could handle it, but even though I'm an adult I wonder how fast it will be.

Finally, the biggie that I have the question about is the HP Forbidden Journey ride which is in Hogwarts. Hogwarts is the part of the theme park that I'm most excited about and I really don't want to be the only one in the family that refuses to ride it. I have read that you can walk through Hogwarts to the point of getting on the ride and then exit without riding. Has anyone here ever been on it? First, is it suitable for a 9 year old if they meet the height requirement (which I think she will). Would she be too scared, not by the motion, but by the scenery of the ride? Second, for someone like me that doesn't like rides that go fast or jerk me around, would it be something I could handle? I've also read that it breaks down a lot and that it is very dimly lit, so I am also afraid of getting stuck in the dark and freaking out. I know that the basic premise is that a robotic arm moves the bench around the ride, but I just didn't know how fast it goes. I've also read that although it doesn't turn you upside down, it does turn you on your back a couple times. I guess my second question is are there any sudden drops or accelerations because I don't think I could handle that.

Thanks to anyone who has been there and could give me your thoughts! Feel free to give me any suggestions on the other theme parks and places to eat in Orlando as well. Our problem is that we need to find a happy medium between pleasing an 8 year old girl and 13 year old boy (will be 9 and 14 when we go). Thanks!
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Ive never been to harry potter world but I just wanted to say youre so lucky!! That place sounds amazing! Have a great time! Sorry I can't help you much with the other themeparks, I haven't been in 10 years since I was 5 and I dont really remember anything

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Tha'ts ok. Universal's website has a pretty interactive "map" of the Harry Potter world and it looks incredibly cool. I think even if I don't ride the rides, there is still a lot to enjoy. But, I hate to be a chicken and miss out on a big part of the theme park because I won't ride the Forbidden Journey ride.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

•