Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Cherie Oakley Auditioned for The Voice

Hi guys Cherie Oakley, you guys might know her as Cherie Beybo I think that's how you spell her maiden name. Any way Cherie was Carrie's first background singer when she was starting out. She auditioned for the "The Voice" and Christina Aguilera picked her in her team. She said she worked with Carrie Underwood, Gretchen Wilson and wrote a song for Reba called "Turn on the Radio" and it made it number 1. Cherie also brought her husband also Carrie's former guitarist Mark Oakley. Cherie sang "Gunpowder and Lead" by Miranda Lambert. Here's Cherie singing "Gunpowder and Lead" on "The Voice:

Junior Carrie Follower Daydreamer81's Avatar
    There's already a topic on this in the Carrie's band section but thanks for posting the vid I missed the first half hour of the episode tonight so I missed her audition and really wanted to see it

I was never a huge fan of Cherie as Carrie's background singer. I'm sure she's a very nice and talented person, but it always felt like she was trying to steal Carrie's spotlight, which isn't what a background singer's job is. I'm glad she's branching out and trying to make it as an artist of her own, because I always felt that that was clearly what she wanted to be doing, and she didn't really want to be a background singer.

I personally wasn't too crazy about her rendition of Gunpowder and Lead. She had a few great moments in there, but as Blake said, she definitely didn't beat Miranda.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I watched it and I was glad Blake didn't pick her. She is a good singer, but nothing extraordinatory - and like Blake said, if you're going to sing his fiance's song, you better beat his fiance at it and Cherie didn't come close. Her voice wasn't suited for G&L at all.

Another girl also sang ML's THTBM and Blake didn't pick her either. She was better than Cherie and I was hoping Blake would pick her because she so desperately wanted to be on his team. She got a second chance though and sang Adele's Rolling in the Deep and got on someone else's team. I think it was Adam's, because he was the only one left with picks by then.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

^^I agree. While she has a good voice, I don't think her vocal is suited for Gunpowder and Lead. Her rendition lacked the fire that Miranda has with that song.

Concert Stars
    As a lead vocalist shes a good back up singer... LOL
    I remember she left Carries band citing other oppurtunities and a few weeks later she ended up backing up Grethen Wilson on stage at the same festival Carrie was at....I always found that strange and always figured there was much more to this story that we may never know about!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I was never a huge fan of Cherie as Carrie's background singer. I'm sure she's a very nice and talented person, but it always felt like she was trying to steal Carrie's spotlight, which isn't what a background singer's job is. I'm glad she's branching out and trying to make it as an artist of her own, because I always felt that that was clearly what she wanted to be doing, and she didn't really want to be a background singer.

I personally wasn't too crazy about her rendition of Gunpowder and Lead. She had a few great moments in there, but as Blake said, she definitely didn't beat Miranda.
    I remember watching many of Carrie's earlier performances (during Carnival Ride era) and Nikki (who currently branched out as Pop Duo) seemed to be the one always trying to outshine Carrie instead of just being content with being backup singer.

I'm really happy Jamie is her backup singer now. She seems the best out of the 3 Carrie has had

Quote Originally Posted by carriecountrystar View Post
    I remember watching many of Carrie's earlier performances (during Carnival Ride era) and Nikki (who currently branched out as Pop Duo) seemed to be the one always trying to outshine Carrie instead of just being content with being backup singer.

I'm really happy Jamie is her backup singer now. She seems the best out of the 3 Carrie has had
    Oh, okay, maybe it was Nikki that I was thinking of then, not Cherie. lol

Concert Stars
    ^No, Cherie did the same thing, lol. I remember it specifically during her performances of "Jesus, Take the Wheel."

Well then Jamie is officially the best!

•