Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree47Likes
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By Kizmet311
  • 4 Post By Carrieslegs84
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 6 Post By rainbow1
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 6 Post By lizcarlo
  • 5 Post By lolita55
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 6 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 4 Post By txacar
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Momin

Thread: Thinking of Texas

Thinking of Texas

Be safe!

Smokyiiis, bluetb4 and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I was watching a video on the Weather Channel online and they said that in one particular town, they were telling those who chose to stay behind and not evacuate to write their name and social security number on their arm in a sharpie marker. That is one of the saddest things I've heard. I pray that people stay safe, somehow.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I was watching a video on the Weather Channel online and they said that in one particular town, they were telling those who chose to stay behind and not evacuate to write their name and social security number on their arm in a sharpie marker. That is one of the saddest things I've heard. I pray that people stay safe, somehow.
    That does seem sad,considering the circumstances so I get why they told people to do that.My sisters husbands parents are from Texas & they just built a house on Galveston Bay & they had to evacuate because of the hurricane,so they went to stay with my sister & her husband in Nashville until everything dies down.I just pray that the people who got out & the ones who chose to stay are safe & protected in this nasty hurricane from any harm & danger.From what I hear,this hurricane sounds pretty nasty & the footage showed wind & water blowing & that looked bad enough for a Category 4 hurricane.I just hope everyone is safe from harm during this hurricane.

Torrential rain and flooding, expected to last for several days, are the aftermath. There've been many picture and interviews shown over here. As ever, some of the hardest hit will be the poor. They've shown trailer homes in Rockport, wrecked, with the remains of their belongings scattered all around. (I think Rockport was the place that inspired Emily Strayer's song "The Coast" - which was a happy song from earlier times, about getaways from San Antonio. Perhaps they'll hold a benefit concert later for victims, like the one they performed in Austin for wildfire victims a few years ago)
    Momin, bluetb4 and lolita55 like this.

Concert Stars
    Yes, the poor are affected, but they tried to bus them out to different locales, before the storm hit. San Antonia took hundreds and hundreds of them, as did other places. From what I've seen on TV, not many were left in Rockport, most left.
    I have 2 married granddaughters who live in the Woodlands, just a bit north of Houston. One of them is due to have a baby today. So far, they are Ok. Just lots of rain. We have been saying many prayers for everyone in this tragic storm.

I hope your granddaugters, and the awaited little one, stay safe, Rainbow.!
    I think other regulars on the board live in South Texas - I'll pray for all affected.

Pictures of Houston on our news tonight look bad, with flooded roads, and dangerous currents, but residents and rescuers striving hard to keep spirits up. More rescue boats, and repairs to power lines seem the main needs at present.
    bluetb4, lolita55 and rainbow1 like this.

Hope everyone from Texas is okay. I have family down there as well. Prayers for everyone.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I just wanted to let everyone know that my brother who is a truck driver is headed to Texas today to help with the disaster relief. I don't know what he is hauling, but I hope whatever it is, that it will help the people that desperately need it.

"Texas Flood" , an '80s performance by the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan

txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'm fortunate that my area was not hard hit. We lost a tree and had some wind damage but definitely didn't have the flooding. I can't say the same for numerous friends. And I pray for healing for them and so many others in this catastrophe. I also fervently pray that Florida is spared the disaster with Hurricane Irma.
    lolita55, txacar, liz278 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    I'm fortunate that my area was not hard hit. We lost a tree and had some wind damage but definitely didn't have the flooding. I can't say the same for numerous friends. And I pray for healing for them and so many others in this catastrophe. I also fervently pray that Florida is spared the disaster with Hurricane Irma.
    I'm very fortunate, as well. Had to evacuate last Monday but was able to return on Thursday. It was a risk because the river had not crested but, while a record setter, it crested 3 ft. below predicted level and we were not flooded. On Thursday my son received mandatory evacuation order and, after several hours on the road, finally made it to my house (normally a 20 minute drive). He was given the all clear to return yesterday evening. Neither of us had damage, but I have many friends who lost everything. I'm overwhelmed at the response to this disaster and so proud of my Carrie friends and grateful for their prayers and support of all affected by this horrific event. I intend to give generously, as well, and help wherever I can. I also pray that Florida and other areas will be spared the horror of Irma's wrath. I especially pray for Haiti -- they've had to endure so much!!
    lolita55, liz278, hjj and 1 others like this.

A partial clip of Martie (Erwin) Maguire, performing with Ruthie Foster and Bonnie Raitt, in aid of Texas Recovery. (The song is John Prine's classic "Angel From Montgomery")

https://twitter.com/txmusicoffice/st...26160579497985

...I miss those fiddle solos! (Sometimes loyalty leads down a long and twisted path)
    Momin and lolita55 like this.

The Dixie Chicks are deeply missed.
    lolita55 likes this.

•