Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Supreme Court to decide on marriage equality and Obamacare by June 29th.

Supreme Court to decide on marriage equality and Obamacare by June 29th.

It's 20 days away, so I thought it'd be interesting to start the discussion now.

A decision in favour of marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges will likely legalize same-sex marriages nation-wide, in the 13 states that do not currently provide for it. A decision against marriage equality would be more complicated.

A decision against Obamacare in King v. Burwell could lead to a nation-wide repeal of the Affordable Care Act, which could lead to 6 million people losing insurance. A decision in its favour will likely maintain the status quo.

Both decisions are expected on the last day of the Court's sitting, June 29th, but could, theoretically, come out any week day before then.
    Lstname89 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I am hoping for Marriage equality mostly because there seems to be a bias among Christians that want marriage to be a religious union and a large community of gay Christians who want that right just like any christians who are fighting for religious rights. How do you have right to religious freedom but then tell people they can not participate in a religious union?

As for obamacare, I almost want it to fail. Mostly cause at least it will become obvious that Obama wanted to help and republicans stripped it away and left the country back in a state of healthcare chaos. I think they deserve that fall out at least.....
    I say, give republicans what they want and just let people die in the streets. That will mostly mean the bible-belt anyway......... Ironic isn't it??!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I am hoping for Marriage equality mostly because there seems to be a bias among Christians that want marriage to be a religious union and a large community of gay Christians who want that right just like any christians who are fighting for religious rights. How do you have right to religious freedom but then tell people they can not participate in a religious union?

As for obamacare, I almost want it to fail. Mostly cause at least it will become obvious that Obama wanted to help and republicans stripped it away and left the country back in a state of healthcare chaos. I think they deserve that fall out at least.....
    I say, give republicans what they want and just let people die in the streets. That will mostly mean the bible-belt anyway......... Ironic isn't it??
    !
    And the up to 8 million peole that are going to lose their insurance? You're ok kwith that I presume. At least the Republicans will have all the egg on their faces.

Concert Stars
    No, I am very much not ok with that. But how hard is a person supposed to work to give to the people a system of healthcare only to have the people refuse it??!!

If the people are so against it, than what "do" they want??

We can not go back to an America where people took care of themselves. You do realize that people just dropped dead in the street in those days right? There are just too many people now!!
    If people hate Obama care so much than for God Sake come up with an alternative!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    From the looks of it, they will announce on Thursday.

Search - Supreme Court of the United States

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I hate the word equality in the headline as that is bias in itself. Just like income inequality.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    What do you mean, Pi?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    I hate the word equality in the headline as that is bias in itself. Just like income inequality.
    What are we discussing if it is not equality? Gays want equal right to marry and everything that comes with it. Its that simple. If someone believes this is about God or some ordained divine union than lets talk about all the devil worshippers and atheists and buddists and hindu and every other belief system that is not Christian. What of those......? Why are Christians not fighting to take the right away from them?
    Lstname89 likes this.

Concert Stars
    As is the case in most states willing to judge it honestly, the supreme court is basically going to have to concede that an individuals right to marry supercedes any definition that a group wants to believe exists.
    The only other thing they can do is agree that it is not their place to say........ that is also a possibility. But that will only mean it will be a matter of time before all states agree anyway.... either way, its coming...... People should probably start putting away their "family values" t-shirts" they aren't going to need them. BTW, Jesus did not believe in family values. That is a term made up by contemporaries. The whole idea of jesus supporting family is ridiculous when you consider he said he came to tear families apart!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Jesus and Santa are huge supporters of families.

How dare you Patrick!
    pklongbeach likes this.

Either 3 days, or 7 days to go. Hoping goodness will prevail among these learned men and women.

Concert Stars
    So SCOTUS voted to keep the Obamacare subsidies & the GOP is all a bluster. I'd just like to thank them for allowing me to keep my health insurance. It is a good day!
    maddkat likes this.

Obamacare survives! Congratulations, America!

Marriage equality decision expected tomorrow. It'll be a big day for human rights, one way or another.

Victory for marriage equality. The Court finds that the Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when a marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out of state. Same-sex marriages must now be performed nationwide; to not do so would be in violation of the court's order.

I remember the days when, as a teenager, I would count the number of states that I could potentially move to if I ever moved to America. The number was fairly static at seven. Then it exploded to 36. Today it covers the entire country.

Congratulations, America!

Yeah now my friend can get married. They have been together for such long time. Congrats. I bet Carrie is happy.
    Lstname89 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Everybody should have the right to get married and I find it hilariously funny that people bang their fist on the table and point to the constitution when they want things go their way are the same people now that want changes to the constitution because this didn't go their way, sorry people you can't have it both ways.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    Time always follows the correct course, eventually. Nazi's were wrong in their beliefs, they were defeated. Whites and African Americans couldn't marry, now they can. Students were segregated in schools, that changed. Gays couldn't marry nationwide, that changed today. The confederate flag, eventually, will be placed in museums where it belongs. In the not too distant future, guns won't be sold at gun shows without a background check, and I'm a gun owner. It's just a shame that hundreds of innocent people, including children, will have to die before that happens.
    JB172 and carebear4eva like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar
    Amazing! Congrats to all the happy couples out there. Carrie would definitely be in support of this decision
    lizcarlo likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    Time always follows the correct course, eventually. Nazi's were wrong in their beliefs, they were defeated. Whites and African Americans couldn't marry, now they can. Students were segregated in schools, that changed. Gays couldn't marry nationwide, that changed today. The confederate flag, eventually, will be placed in museums where it belongs. In the not too distant future, guns won't be sold at gun shows without a background check, and I'm a gun owner. It's just a shame that hundreds of innocent people, including children, will have to die before that happens.
    My wife and I are both gun owners and people kill people, guns don't.

That idiot in South Carolina could have just as easily chained the doors and set the church on fire he was looking to kill people and just happened to use a gun to do it.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast