Post Salvation Army rented boys for sex

Boys 'rented out' for abuse at Salvation Army boys' home at Bexley in Sydney's south

Children at a Salvation Army boys' home in Sydney were "rented out" to strangers who sexually abused them, the royal commission into child sexual abuse has heard.

The Bexley Boys Home in Sydney's south is one of four homes being examined by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Until now, former residents of two homes in Queensland have given evidence about being beaten and sexually abused.

Today the inquiry turned its focus to the Bexley home, and a police investigation launched in the 1990s after several men came forward.

Detective Inspector Rick Cunningham investigated the allegations of abuse at the home.

A man named FV told police that in 1974 the Superintendent of the Bexley home, Captain Lawrence Wilson, introduced him to a woman in Salvation Army uniform who was accompanied by a man.

FV said they took him back to their home and sexually abused him.

More on this:

Salvation Army major 'punched 4yo boys in the face'
    Boys 'punched and locked in cages' at Salvos homes
    Royal commission to hear of abuse at Salvation Army homes
    Inspector Cunningham told the commission that when the boy reported the incident it was ignored.

"Captain Wilson said, 'These are good people I send you to' and caned him about 18 times," he told the hearing.

Lawyers representing the Salvation Army asked Inspector Cunningham if he was aware of a paedophile network operating through the home.

"Information from various former residents [was] that they went to homes on weekends, that there were visitors to the Bexley home," he replied.

"But as to who sanctioned or organised if that occurred, it's difficult to say."

Detective Inspector Rick Cunningham (wearing sunglasses) began investigating allegations of abuse at the Bexley home more than a decade after it had closed down.
    PHOTO: Detective Inspector Rick Cunningham (wearing sunglasses) began investigating allegations of abuse at the Bexley home more than a decade after it had closed down. (ABC News)
    Wilson has been described by counsel assisting the commission Simeon Beckett as the "most serious offender" in the Salvation Army's Eastern Territory.

FV's evidence in the 1990s resulted in criminal charges being brought against Wilson, including for buggery, common assault and indecent assault.

He was ultimately acquitted of the charges in 1997, but the commission was told the Salvation Army "expressed surprise" at the decision and has paid more than $1.2 million in compensation to his victims to date.

Captain Wilson died in 2008.

Other homes being examined include the Alkira Salvation Army Home for Boys at Indooroopilly in Queensland, the Riverview Training Farm at Riverview in Queensland and the Gill Memorial Home at Goulburn in southern New South Wales.

Older boys 'also perpetrators of sexual abuse'

Bexley Boys Home in Sydney
    PHOTO: The commission has been told both Salvation Army officers and older boys sexually abused vulnerable children at the Bexley Boys Home. (Supplied)
    The inquiry was also told about Captain Russell Walker, who worked at the home during the 1960s and 1970s, and in 1994 was described by a man known as EO as "the molester of the home".

Captain Walker was charged with indecent assault in 1974.

He was found guilty and placed on a good behaviour bond.

The inquiry has referred to a letter dated March 5, 1997 from the state's Director of Public Prosecutions hinting to the possibility of further court action against Walker.

"There is obviously an indication from the DPP that if this man's health condition does improve, there may be a point at which he could be re-considered for prosecution," Mr Beckett said.

Walker is still alive but the charges have never been pursued.

He has been provided notice of the commission's hearing.

The Bexley Boys Home, also known as the Charles Kolling Memorial Boys Home, opened its doors in 1915.

It originally admitted primary school-aged boys who had been abandoned or relinquished by their parents, but older boys were allowed to stay from 1968 when a public high school opened nearby.

Younger boys and those with intellectual disabilities were housed separately from the other residents in a cottage dormitory.

Former residents have described the conditions as "Dickensian" with a regimented daily routine starting in the early hours of the morning.

The hearing was told many staff members did not provide emotional support to the boys, telling one he had to "get on with it" when told his mother had just died.

Both Salvation Army officers and older boys were the perpetrators of sexual abuse at the home.

Older boys often threatened and intimidated the younger boys, forcing them to perform sexual acts.

The home closed in 1979.

Boys 'rented out' for abuse at Salvation Army boys' home at Bexley in Sydney's south - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Oh and they also physically and sexually abused them themselves.

Australian Salvation Army Officers Rape, Lock Boys in Cages

The victims of child abuse in Salvation Army homes spoke about their experiences in the first public hearing in Sydney before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse for 2014. On Jan 28, the commission began its fifth inquiry into the case.

Abuse victims claimed young boys were kept in a cage for days and raped in Salvation Army homes during the 1950s, 60s and 70s. According to revelations in the public hearing, Salvation Army leaders failed to impose discipline or remove those who committed abuses permanently. Perpetrators were simply transferred to other homes where abuses continue.

Mr Beckett said the focus of the hearing would be the response of the Salvation Army and government agencies to charges of child sex abuse inside the homes for boys located in Indooroopilly, Riverview Training Farm in Queensland, Bexley Boys home in North Bexley and the Gill Memorial Home in Golbourn.

The Royal Commission will focus on the alleged abuse on young boys aged 6 to 17 years old by Salvation Army officers Russell Walker, Laurence Wilson, Victor Bennett, Donald Schultz and John McIver.

Based on testimonies heard by the commission, Mr Beckett said the boys were punched, thrown on the ground and hit with straps until they bled or had welts on their bodies. The boys were anally raped by officers and forced to have oral sex with their house parents. The victims were also abused by other boys in homes.

One witness, who is only known as ES, is expected to tell the commission that he was locked in a cage in the Riverview home for nine days. After he was released from the cage, his house parent Mr Bennett allegedly sodomised him.

Mr McIver was named as the one who broke a boy's arm and refused to let a boy go to a hospital for a dislocated shoulder. He allegedly forced the boy's injured shoulder to go "back into its socket."

Mr Beckett said the victims of abuse had complained but no one believed them. Those who complained were severely punished.

The Royal Commission is set to hear from two former house parents in Salvation Army homes, Cliff and Marina Randall, who were dismissed after complaining about Mr McIver. According to reports, only three out of five officers being charged are still alive. They have denied allegations of child abuse.

The inquiry continues as more details of the investigation are revealed.

Australian Salvation Army Officers Rape, Lock Boys in Cages - International Business Times

Concert Stars
    This is hard to even read.

Quote Originally Posted by carrieguy2 View Post
    This is hard to even read.
    And they are against same sex behaviour between consenting adults.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    And they are against same sex behaviour between consenting adults.
    There are sick people out there. This is a vicious cycle. There are victims of sexual assault, that in turn sexually assault others. I think it is horrible that there are individuals out there that are sexually abused. Call me what you want, but I think people who sexually assault adults should be put into prison for life, and I think people who sexually assault children, should be given the death penalty. I feel for these victims who have the courage to come forward, and speak about what has happened to them, and then they are called liars, and nobody believes them. There really are no words to describe this, except I hope that there is a special place in hell for these abusers when they die(if hell does exist).

Quote Originally Posted by lolita55 View Post
    There are sick people out there. This is a vicious cycle. There are victims of sexual assault, that in turn sexually assault others. I think it is horrible that there are individuals out there that are sexually abused. Call me what you want, but I think people who sexually assault adults should be put into prison for life, and I think people who sexually assault children, should be given the death penalty. I feel for these victims who have the courage to come forward, and speak about what has happened to them, and then they are called liars, and nobody believes them. There really are no words to describe this, except I hope that there is a special place in hell for these abusers when they die(if hell does exist).
    YES. THIS.
    Our family never liked The Salvation Army b/c a relative of ours had to go there once, they let him stay a night then told him he had to pay to stay but he had no money.
    But this is much, much more serious. I agree, the death penalty should be given to the sick, sick monsters who sexually abuse children. (I'm looking at you Ian Watkins) This is shocking and disgusting.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    This doesn't mean this goes on at every Salvation Army. It depends on who that particular leader is. They don't teach this sort of thing my dad told me. Sad though to use God's name for sexual gratification.

•