Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Robertson Tells Men to Marry Underage Girls Who Cooks

Robertson Tells Men to Marry Underage Girls Who Cooks

Phil Robertson has been reinstated by A&E after a brief suspension for making anti-gay remarks, but the Duck Dynasty patriarch is caught up in a new controversy thanks to a video in which he advises men to marry girls as young as 15.

The footage, which surfaced Monday on YouTube, is said to be from a 2009 Georgia Sportsmen's Ministry event. In it, Robertson offers what he calls "river rat counseling," and warns men not to marry girls who are out of their teens.

"Look, you wait 'til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that's going to take place is your pocket," he says. "You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course."

That last remark refers to the parental consent required in many states for a girl to marry before she is 18. (Some states forbid anyone underage to marry at all.)

Among Robertson's other dating advice: "Make sure that she can cook a meal" and "make sure she carries her Bible. That'll save you a lot of trouble down the road."

Robertson, 67, made similar remarks in his book Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander, published earlier this year. In that book, he revealed that he married his wife, Kay, when she was 15.

"Miss Kay was the perfect woman for me," he wrote. "I was sixteen and she was fifteen when we were married. Nowadays some people might frown on people getting married that young, but I knew that if you married a woman when she was fifteen, she would pluck your ducks. If you waited until she was twenty, she would only pick your pockets."

He added: "Now, that's a joke, and a lot of people seem to laugh at it, but there is a certain amount of truth in it."

Meanwhile, Phil's son Willie Robertson will speak about his father in a special appearance Tuesday night on Fox News Channel’s New Year special.

Willie and his wife, Korie, will be guests on Fox's All-American New Year's Eve, hosted by Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Bill Hemmer beginning at 9 p.m. ET, the Associated Press reports.

Phil Robertson Tells Men to Marry Underage Girls in Newly Unearthed Video - Duck Dynasty, Phil Robertson : People.com

When will their 15 minutes of fame be over? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    When will their 15 minutes of fame be over? Lol
    Never. After he suggested that homosexuality will lead to people sleeping around with women, and black people never felt mistreated ever, ratings and sales have both gone up.

But then it's a show based on killing for fun so what do you expect?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This whole family needs to go away.

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    This whole family needs to go away.
    Are you aware that Mike and Carrie follow these peeps on twitter and they are involved in the same ministries. They did the I Am Second testimony as Mike did.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight12 View Post
    Are you aware that Mike and Carrie follow these peeps on twitter and they are involved in the same ministries. They did the I Am Second testimony as Mike did.
    That doesn't mean Mike or Carrie share these thoughts... Mike and Carrie appear to be what I consider a true Christian..
    maddkat and pklongbeach like this.

She followed four Robertsons but not Phil Robertson.

Don't know if she's followed him before but if she did, this means she's made a stance.

Also, this actually means nothing. Not only does Carrie follow 246 acts on Twitter, but nobody also has the obligation to support everything and everyone she supports. Wasn't there lots of fans here who were appalled by her stance to support same-sex marriage? I wouldn't say 'Carrie supports same-sex marriage so you should', and similarly not 'Carrie supports the Robertsons so we all should'. Not to mention there's a difference between following someone on Twitter and supporting one specific act or idea of that certain someone, especially for a celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by GumbyJRH View Post
    That doesn't mean Mike or Carrie share these thoughts... Mike and Carrie appear to be what I consider a true Christian..
    Also, I'd find it very strange if Carrie becomes a vegetarian because she believes that animals have rights, and turns out to be a huge supporter of a show like Duck Dynasty.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I am. So what? I should give them a pass on their ignorance?

In his defence though, I have to emphasise that when he said people should marry underaged girls, he meant a 16-year-old boy marrying a 15-year-old girl. That's paedophilia in the eyes of the laws (that is, if they actually have sex - you don't need to have sex in a marriage, though for a 'traditional' man like him I think he will also think that married couples should have children as early and as many as possible but that's beyond the point), but not really paedophilia.

I personally think we should abolish age of consent laws together, but to pass anti-paedophilia laws instead. What we should be against is a 50-year-old having sex/marrying a 15-year-old, not a 16-year-old having with a 15-year-old. Of course some people will feel that it's too soon to have sex, but they are not exactly stopping them anyway so I think we need a serious reform world-wide on this so we can fight against the real issue.

Marriage is another issue altogether. Putting apart my personal views on marriage laws, I think people should only be allowed to marry later in their lives, with the principle being to assume that they are financially-able to. Not just because they do need money to start a healthy family, but that if they are too young, or too poor on their own, it means their marriages may very well be 'arranged' ones by their parents. This leads to something like what's still happening in India, with parents selling their daughters for old guys to marry. Marriages should only be limited between consenting adults, no matter how many persons are involved in it.

Then of course he's incredibly sexist to suggest that only women who cook should be marriable women, and that mature women are all gold diggers. That's more terrible on top of his racist and homophobic comments stated earlier.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Honestly, this entire thing, I think, has been blown out of proportion. I mean I will venture to guess that none of us know Phil Robertson, so none of his comments should personally effect anyone, whether they post here or anywhere. I support people having their own opinions about everything, but its a two way street and people all over the Internet need to understand that. We should notice that this was said in 2009, before Duck Dynasty, and before his most recent comments, so nobody knew he said this until somebody dug into his past to try and soil his reputation even more. And he wasn't saying adult men should marry teenage girls, but teenagers marrying. That's the time period he came out of, you can't expect someone to change the way they are. Phil Robertson wasn't singling out any one person, but that's what people are doing now to him and that's what true bullying is. So what if Carrie and Mike follow them on twitter, this family is not a bad family, they are Godly and kind people, it is evident in their show. I don't know if anybody here has watched the show, but they show that they care about people and God on there. Carrie and Mike can follow them it's really no big deal just because views my differ you can still like somebody. And another point that is funny to me is when people try to destroy a person's reputation and career, it almost never works, because more people rally around them and they get bigger. There are of course exceptions like Paula Deen, but they are only exceptions.

No it's more about how their fan bases are like.

You're only done if you've alienated your target bases.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Exactly, so they are not done, because usually someone who says something questionable isn't targeting their fan base, so that's why they don't fall.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Just remember, neither Phil or anyone else on this show speaks for Christians or Christianity. My dad likes the show, but says is doesn't mean its a role model show.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    Honestly, this entire thing, I think, has been blown out of proportion. I mean I will venture to guess that none of us know Phil Robertson, so none of his comments should personally effect anyone, whether they post here or anywhere. I support people having their own opinions about everything, but its a two way street and people all over the Internet need to understand that. We should notice that this was said in 2009, before Duck Dynasty, and before his most recent comments, so nobody knew he said this until somebody dug into his past to try and soil his reputation even more. And he wasn't saying adult men should marry teenage girls, but teenagers marrying. That's the time period he came out of, you can't expect someone to change the way they are. Phil Robertson wasn't singling out any one person, but that's what people are doing now to him and that's what true bullying is. So what if Carrie and Mike follow them on twitter, this family is not a bad family, they are Godly and kind people, it is evident in their show. I don't know if anybody here has watched the show, but they show that they care about people and God on there. Carrie and Mike can follow them it's really no big deal just because views my differ you can still like somebody. And another point that is funny to me is when people try to destroy a person's reputation and career, it almost never works, because more people rally around them and they get bigger. There are of course exceptions like Paula Deen, but they are only exceptions.
    by not singling out; I assume that means you are not the target of any one of his rants.
    HE basically stood up and said that I was the beginning of Sin, and it should start with me.

Ironic considering people who read the bible are supposed to believe that Women started sin!

My issue with the "preaching" to people about marrying at 16 (and yes, christians believe a marriage must be consomated (having sex) to be official in the eyes of God) is not condoning having sex with underage children, but that any woman over a certain age is only good for picking your pockets!!

Go ahead and defend him all you want. But if you are homosexual, you are supporting someone who thinks you are going to hell. IF you are black, you supporting someone who thinks you were better of without any rights. And if you just happen to be a woman, you are supporting someone who sees you as an object to be labeled and classified, and denegrated after the age of 16.

For the rest of you, you are supporting someone who pretends to be a christian but efuses to follow Jesus's commandments, and makes up rules of his own and blankets them into what Jesus wants!

"Jesus came to abolish the old testiment, and to make a new testiment. Everything thing this guy is preaching is completely against what Christ whated people to start doing. "Stop judging and condemning based on old laws and start showing the world Gods love, by loving, not hating, not condemning, and not degrading!!!

You may think he won this, but I assure you, he only showed the world what a small person he really is.
    And when he stands before God, he is going to have to explain why he changed christs words just so he could preach condemnation.
    maddkat and CALEBJOE like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post

For the rest of you, you are supporting someone who pretends to be a christian but efuses to follow Jesus's commandments, and makes up rules of his own and blankets them into what Jesus wants!

"Jesus came to abolish the old testiment, and to make a new testiment. Everything thing this guy is preaching is completely against what Christ whated people to start doing. "Stop judging and condemning based on old laws and start showing the world Gods love, by loving, not hating, not condemning, and not degrading!!!
    1. No one, except God, truly knows whether anyone is a Christian. We mere humans can only observe the fruits stemming from their actions/deeds.

2. Jesus came to abolish the Old Testament is FALSE. In Matthew 5:17, Jesus said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

and finally...

in this world, we will hear many opinions, stances, ideologies, etc. from Christians and non-Christians. And for all these inputs into our worldview, I believe that Christians need to scrutinize it like the Bereans did (ref. Acts 17:11 "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.").

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    Exactly, so they are not done, because usually someone who says something questionable isn't targeting their fan base, so that's why they don't fall.
    No but sometimes they said something they didn't know would offend their own fan bases. Such as Kelly Clarkson supporting Ron Paul.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I'm not defending the words he said exactly, but the fact that he can say what he believes. The fact that you are judging whether he is a Christian or not isn't the Christian way either. I believe that the Bible is a book open to your own interpretation, because you could ask 10 people to read the same scripture and come out with 10 different interpretations. You may interpret the Bible different than Phil does, it doesn't mean either one of you is wrong. We can all find and follow God in different ways, and as long as Christians find strength and guidance in the Bible, I don't really have a problem with how anybody uses God's word.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    No but sometimes they said something they didn't know would offend their own fan bases. Such as Kelly Clarkson supporting Ron Paul.
    I totally agree, but I'm not sure that the fan base was as riled up as other group, and if anything he gathered more support than he lost along the way.

Concert Stars
    Romans 7 1-7. Paul tells us we are dead to the old laws that once governed us because we are born to Christs new Law of love.

John 13 and John 15 make it very clear "written in red" This is "my" commandment; that you love one another as much as I have loved you."

It is not enough that you love your wife or children or parents, you are to love all!

Nothing else is more important than this.

We can argue scripture all day long. and probably both prove ourselves right again and again.
    But what we can not change. The one thing that christians are asked to do above all else, is follow "the words written in red". Those are the words christ spoke.

All else is interpretation....

As much as supporters of this person want to believe him to be chirstian, he is not showing love to me!!

He is condemning me. HE is NOT following Christs commandments.

•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast