Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Fox News host Megyn Kelly tells kids: Jesus and Santa are both white guys

Post Fox News host Megyn Kelly tells kids: Jesus and Santa are both white guys

Fox News host Megyn Kelly tells kids: Jesus and Santa are both white guys | The Raw Story

Fox News host Megyn Kelly on Wednesday assured children viewing her program that both Jesus Christ and Santa Claus were white men even though some liberals were trying to make them black.

In a column for Slate earlier this week, Aisha Harris wrote that she had always been confused as a child because the Santa in her home had brown skin like her, but the Santa in malls and on television was always white.

So Harris made the case “that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man” and adopt a penguin in his place.

“For one thing, making Santa Claus an animal rather than an old white male could spare millions of nonwhite kids the insecurity and shame that I remember from childhood,” she wrote.

But on Wednesday, Kelly decided that Harris had gone “off the rails” with her column.

“For all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white,” Kelly said. “But this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa. But Santa is what he is.”

“Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable doesn’t mean it has to change, you know?” she added. “I mean, Jesus was a white man too. He was a historical figure, that’s a verifiable fact, as is Santa — I just want the kids watching to know that.”

Contrary to Kelly’s assertions, Jesus Christ was a Jew of Mediterranean descent and not the white European figure often depicted in paintings and movies.

Concert Stars
    Bless her heart. Shes an idiot.
    My partner actually watches foxnews, and I am dumbfounded that he does not hear the hostility and negative agression in the programming. But whatever, I stay out of it.

But Santa is one thing, I see the point that he is based off a mythical man who came from a while race enviroment. It seems reasonable that he should remain white. I would not bother trying to argue that with any sensible person. But she did and whatever.

As for Jesus???!!! Oh dear. White???? She can not be that uneducated! IT's scary.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    St Nicholas was a Bishop in what is now Turkey - so neither of them would have been particularly WASPish. But she's rather missing the point - in Christ, our racial heritage is not relevant.

(Jon Stewart satirized this broadcast on the Daily Show. He said "You do know Jesus was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania")
    clh_hilary likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    My partner actually watches foxnews, and I am dumbfounded that he does not hear the hostility and negative agression in the programming. But whatever, I stay out of it.

But Santa is one thing, I see the point that he is based off a mythical man who came from a while race enviroment. It seems reasonable that he should remain white. I would not bother trying to argue that with any sensible person. But she did and whatever.

As for Jesus???!!! Oh dear. White???? She can not be that uneducated! IT's scary.
    Santa is real and he wasn't white.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Wasn't this real st Nicolas guy Italian? He was European either way so that makes him white.
    adam1995 and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    Yes, the story of Santa Claus comes from Europe and yes, that would mean by relation, he would be white.

But because he is a mythical creature, he can really be anything you want him to be.
    But the origin of him is clear.

Concert Stars
    Born in Patara, a land that is part of present-day Turkey, circa 280, St. Nicholas was a Christian bishop who helped the needy. After his death, the legend of his gift-giving grew. St. Nicholas transformed into the legendary character called Santa Claus, who brings Christmas presents to children around the world. He lost both of his parents as a young man and reportedly used his inheritance to help the poor and sick. A devout Christian, he later served as bishop of Myra, a city that is now called Demre.

St. Nicholas is believed to have died on December 6, 343. Over the years, stories of his miracles and work for the poor spread to other parts of the world. He became known as the protector of children and sailors and was associated with gift-giving. He was a popular saint in Europe until the time of the Reformation in the 1500s, a religious movement that led to the creation of Protestantism, which turned away from the practice of honoring saints. St. Nicholas, however, remained an important figure in Holland.

The Dutch continued to celebrate the feast day of St. Nicholas, December 6. It was a common practice for children to put out their shoes the night before. In the morning, they would discover the gifts that St. Nicholas had left there for them. Dutch immigrants brought St. Nicholas, known to them as Sint Nikolaas or by his nickname Sinter Klaas, and his gift-giving ways to America in the 1700s.

In America, St. Nicholas went through many transformations and eventually Sinter Klaas became Santa Claus. Instead of giving gifts on December 6, he became a part of the Christmas holiday. In the 1820 poem "An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas" by Clement Clarke Moore, he is described as a jolly, heavy man who comes down the chimney to leave presents for deserving children and drives a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. The cartoonist Thomas Nast added to the St. Nicholas legend with an 1881 drawing of Santa as wearing a red suit with white fur trim. Once a kind, charitable bishop, St. Nicholas had become the Santa Claus we know today
    lizcarlo and clh_hilary like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I love Megyn Kelly, good for her for standing up for her beliefs. And Fox News doesn't spew nearly as much negativity and hostility as CNN or MSNBC, what you hear from Fox News are the facts, it just comes off that way, because the facts are pretty.

Concert Stars

If you watched Fox News you would have seen the story in context. It was, actually, a funny segment primarily revolving around the Tweeter's feeling that Santa should be a penguin. Megan is a mother of 3. Saying that Santa is real was in deference to little kids in other time zones who might hear and was obviously tongue in cheek. And, yes, she referenced St. Nicholas when she said he is white. The entire panel had fun with the segment and, just as happens to Carrie Underwood, a few idiots decided to make a big deal out of it and Megan, a brilliant, beautiful attorney/news broadcaster who bends over backwards to be fair to all sides, was hated on for no reason, other than the fact that she consistently has ratings that put all others to shame in that time slot.

IMO, the whole world is Beige. Haters, just shut up!!!!!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^Tell it.

If you watched Fox News you would have seen the story in context. It was, actually, a funny segment primarily revolving around the Tweeter's feeling that Santa should be a penguin. Megan is a mother of 3. Saying that Santa is real was in deference to little kids in other time zones who might hear and was obviously tongue in cheek. And, yes, she referenced St. Nicholas when she said he is white. The entire panel had fun with the segment and, just as happens to Carrie Underwood, a few idiots decided to make a big deal out of it and Megan, a brilliant, beautiful attorney/news broadcaster who bends over backwards to be fair to all sides, was hated on for no reason, other than the fact that she consistently has ratings that put all others to shame in that time slot.

I agree with this. Instead of watching her show, people just hear little snippets from other places, and don't even know what she said. Let's not act like other news programs don't have their hostile people.
    adam1995 likes this.

I agree with this. Instead of watching her show, people just hear little snippets from other places, and don't even know what she said. Let's not act like other news programs don't have some hostility and negative agression.

Concert Stars
    I don't think the issue of Santa Claus was what got people scratching their heads.

She said Jesus was white! Jesus was not caucasion.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post

I am sorry I have upset your view of Jesus being white. But he wasn't.
    And stating he was does not make Megan brilliant.

But I'll shut up if that makes you feel better.

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^Have you met Jesus personally to know he wasn't white? Many of the Jews that you see from Israel look fairly white to me. I know that some Israelis are darker in complexion, but there are some that are white as well.

Concert Stars
    Ok, with that, I am just going to let this go............

Concert Stars
    Maggie likes this.

Concert Stars
    I am sorry I have upset your view of Jesus being white. But he wasn't.
    And stating he was does not make Megan brilliant.

But I'll shut up if that makes you feel better.
    It only stands to reason that if Jesus was born in Bethelem, he is not the fair, blue-eyed man pictured by many. We don't know what color he was. A British group, using Biblical descriptions, reconstructed a likeness (much as they do in police work) which is far more accurate than pictures I saw as a child -- very much like any Jewish citizen of the Middle East at that time.

Additionally, I wasn't calling YOU a hater. I was referring to the jerks who took a portion of the entire segment to use for their own agenda, and that fueled the hate against Megan. I'm sorry if I worded it poorly and offended you because I enjoy reading your insightful posts about Carrie and country music in general.

And now, on this topic, I'll say no more except Megan Kelly was taken out of context and did not deserve the hate mail she received any more than Carrie did.
    pklongbeach and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    It only stands to reason that if Jesus was born in Bethelem, he is not the fair, blue-eyed man pictured by many. We don't know what color he was. A British group, using Biblical descriptions, reconstructed a likeness (much as they do in police work) which is far more accurate than pictures I saw as a child -- very much like any Jewish citizen of the Middle East at that time.

Additionally, I wasn't calling YOU a hater. I was referring to the jerks who took a portion of the entire segment to use for their own agenda, and that fueled the hate against Megan. I'm sorry if I worded it poorly and offended you because I enjoy reading your insightful posts about Carrie and country music in general.

And now, on this topic, I'll say no more except Megan Kelly was taken out of context and did not deserve the hate mail she received any more than Carrie did.
    I totally admit that I was taking the quotes out of context.
    So I am letting it go as well. All is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie&Taylor View Post
    Wasn't this real st Nicolas guy Italian? He was European either way so that makes him white.
    No he wasn't Italian. He was born in Turkey, I do think some people claim him to be Greek. Either way he might even be Asian.

Never the less, not all Europeans are white. European is not a race nor an ethnicity.

Yes, the story of Santa Claus comes from Europe and yes, that would mean by relation, he would be white.

But because he is a mythical creature, he can really be anything you want him to be.
    But the origin of him is clear.
    No the general historical consensus is that he wasn't white.

For the kids who are watching at home, Santa just isn't white.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I love Megyn Kelly, good for her for standing up for her beliefs. And Fox News doesn't spew nearly as much negativity and hostility as CNN or MSNBC, what you hear from Fox News are the facts, it just comes off that way, because the facts are pretty.
    Good for her for standing up for false beliefs such as Jesus and Santa being white?

The fact that she has supporters with something like this only damages America's reputation further.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast