• 2 Post By Pi314CA
  • 2 Post By AIgrl06
  • 1 Post By oldyfan
  • 1 Post By AIgrl06
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach

Thread: 10 more children killed by the christian faith in Idaho

Post 10 more children killed by the christian faith in Idaho

Fallen followers: Investigation finds 10 more dead children of faith healers
    By Dan Tilkin, KATU News; Dusty Lane, KATU.com Staff Published: Nov 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM PST Last Updated: Nov 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM PST

206 Comments
    Print
    Email

PHOTOS »
    Peaceful Valley Cemetery
    Peaceful Valley Cemetery
    Peaceful Valley Cemetery
    Peaceful Valley Cemetery
    BOISE, Idaho – Peaceful Valley Cemetery sits on a windswept hill 30 miles east of Boise.

Some of The Followers of Christ faith healers bury their dead there.

The same last names appear over and again, going back decades. Some - like Beagley - are the same names you’ll see in a similar cemetery in Oregon City.

In 2010, jurors in Clackamas County convicted Jeff and Marci Beagley of letting their son Neal die of an untreated urinary tract infection.

KATU’s Dan Tilkin covered that story, as he has so many faith-healing stories. That’s why he traveled to Idaho to trace the connections between Followers members in both states, and a new trail of dead children.

A former member of the Followers of Christ advised him to go to Peaceful Valley and look for two specific names.

He found them. He found many more.

Garrett Dean Eells.

The coroner’s report says Garrett was a 6-day-old baby who died of interstitial pneumonitis. That’s pneumonia, untreated.

Jackson Scott Porter.

Jackson was a baby girl. She lived only 20 minutes. The coroner’s report said she received no pre-natal care.

Her grandfather, Mark Jerome, says she died in his house three months ago after his daughter went into labor.

“Well, when she came over, she was just sick - like a kidney infection or something like that,” Jerome said. “So she just wanted to come to the house for a couple days. And when she had the baby no one expected it, it just happened that quick."

The coroner used the words “extreme prematurity” to describe the labor.

Jerome said he doesn’t regret the lack of pre-natal care. That gets to the heart of faith-healing.

“That's the way we believe,” he said. “We believe in God and the way God handles the situation, the way we do things."

Preston Bowers and Rockwell Sevy.

The Canyon County coroner believes Preston had Down’s Syndrome, and that the 2-year-old died of pneumonia.

KATU reported on his death in 2011, along with that of 14-year-old Rocky.

Rocky isn’t buried in the cemetery, but he lived nearby with his parents, Sally and Dan.

They didn’t want to talk about not getting him treatment.

"What I will talk to you about is the law,” Dan Sevy said. “I would like to remind you this country was founded on religious freedom, and on freedom in general. I would like to say, I picture freedom as a full object. It's not like you take "a" freedom away. It's that you chip at the entire thing. Freedom is freedom. Whenever you try to restrict any one person, then you're chipping away at freedom. Yours and mine."

That was that. Sevy didn’t want to talk any more about it.

“I told you I'm not going to do that,” he said. “You don't understand the full story, and I'm not going to stand in front of a camera and give you the whole story. It's just not going to happen. I see the way these things get edited out.

“All I see is an aggressive campaign against Christianity in general, it’s amazing to me in this day and age where Muslims get soft pedaled and Christians are under attack. It just blows my mind.”

Unfortunately, those weren’t the only names in the cemetery. There are 10 new graves that look as though they belong to children that have appeared since KATU’s last report in 2011.

Arrian Jade Granden.

Arrian was 15 years old. She ran track at Parma Middle School.

In June 2012, she got food poisoning.

She vomited so badly she ruptured her esophagus.

She slipped into unconsciousness and went into cardiac arrest.

She died.

Micah Taylor Eells.

The autopsy says Micah died of “likely an intestinal blockage.”

Micah was four days old.

None of the parents of the children who are buried at Peaceful Valley Cemetery will be prosecuted. Oregon wiped out its laws protecting faith-healers. Idaho did not.

Read more: Faces of the fallen - Autopsy reports for the 12 dead children (Warning: graphic content)
    Pamela Jade Eells.

Doctor Charles Garrison performed the autopsy on 16-year-old Pamela. She died of pneumonia.

"If you’ve ever been in a situation where you can’t breathe, it’s pretty desperate.

"You’re drowning in your own fluids.”

Watch: Raw interview with Dr. Charles Garrison:

The coroner’s report says Pamela died after a long chronic battle with an infection in her pelvic bone.

Garrison hasn’t forgotten.

“It's inexplicable to me to comprehend how anyone can watch a child die and do nothing,” he said.

Linda Martin has seen it before. She’s a former Followers of Christ who grew up near Boise. She left when she was a teenager, and lives in Oregon now.

She contacted KATU when she realized more children were dying. She said she is related to many of them.

She keeps their obituaries in an album.

“Everybody hears about the Oregon City trials and the Oregon City churches,” she said. “What they don't understand is the Idaho churches are more rigid, they are unbending, and they are more ruthless then the Oregon churches are.

“It happens one at a time, and the church is so good at covering up that most people don't even know what's going on next door to them."

Jerry Gardener.

Jerry was Linda’s cousin. In 1980, he died from diabetes at the age of 11.

Both Martin and Dr. Garrison are frustrated Idaho hasn’t followed Oregon’s lead.

In Idaho, you can use faith-healing as a defense when it comes to children.

In Oregon, you can’t.

Syble Rossiter.

Syble was 12 when she died in Albany, Ore., last February.

Her parents, Travis and Wenona Rossiter, face manslaughter charges.

They belong to a congregation called “Church of the First Born” in Brownsville, Ore. According to Linda Martin’s family tree and other historical sources, that church is related to the Followers of Christ.

There’s at least one significant difference between the churches: When a child dies in Idaho due to lack of medical care, the parents aren’t breaking any laws.

“The state of Idaho has the religious shield laws to where you can just about murder your child in cold blood and claim religious exemptions and get away with it,” Martin said.

So many more names.

Of the 553 marked graves at Peaceful Valley Cemetery, 144 appear to be children under 18. That’s more than 25 percent.

Those deaths happened primarily in three different counties, which are manned by three different coroners who aren’t bringing the information to the public.

Very few people had a good idea how many children were dying until now. Linda Martin started a Facebook page to keep track of them. That’s still probably not a complete reckoning.

There are four such churches in Idaho, and they don’t get along.

Followers of Christ church in Marsing, Idaho.

“Difference of opinions, difference of religion, different ideas - we follow the word for what it is, what the bible says,” said Mark Jerome, who attends the Followers of Christ Church in Marsing, Idaho.

Followers members use at least two more cemeteries.

The caretaker at Star Cemetery in Star, Idaho said a Followers member recently showed up saying he needed to bury a baby. The baby was in the back seat of his car. The caretaker said he made the church member get a death certificate before he buried the child.

A spokesman for Idaho Governor Butch Otter asked to see the results of this investigation.

The state recently put together a child death review team, which will likely be looking at faith-healing deaths soon.

No significant move to change the laws is underway.

Fallen followers: Investigation finds 10 more dead children of faith healers | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Concert Stars
    HIl, I think you are great. I love your activity here very much.

I might ask though, when it comes to issues of faith and stories of this nature, how it serves a Carrie Underwood fan site that they be posted.

I am just not sure what relevance they have.

On the one hand, I see that it is just a random story that you thought might be of interest.
    But you must rememeber that Carrie "is" a woman of faith, and as such, I think we owe it to her to respect her attitude toward it and at least make efforts not to offend those who come here under the same faith that she has.

Obviously, she is going to attract people of faith. And I believe she feels it is her calling to do so. So as a fansite dedicated to her, it seems a bit contrary to post articles that might shake the faith that people come here with, and that Carrie is trying to strengthen, not break down.

Just some thoughts on the matter.......
    oldyfan and lizcarlo like this.

Just because Carrie is a christian doesn't mean I have to agree with her.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    HIl, I think you are great. I love your activity here very much.

I might ask though, when it comes to issues of faith and stories of this nature, how it serves a Carrie Underwood fan site that they be posted.

I am just not sure what relevance they have.

On the one hand, I see that it is just a random story that you thought might be of interest.
    But you must rememeber that Carrie "is" a woman of faith, and as such, I think we owe it to her to respect her attitude toward it and at least make efforts not to offend those who come here under the same faith that she has.

Obviously, she is going to attract people of faith. And I believe she feels it is her calling to do so. So as a fansite dedicated to her, it seems a bit contrary to post articles that might shake the faith that people come here with, and that Carrie is trying to strengthen, not break down.

Just some thoughts on the matter.......
    Thank you for your polite post. Unfortunately, this poster based on history continues to post these types of stories... so it is not random. He often purposely selects these kinds of stories to post so as to put the Christian faith in a very poor light. It would be more 'random' if he also selects these kinds of stories to put down the Islamic faith, the Hindu faith, atheists, etc... but no, instead he picks on Christianity almost exclusively.

Concert Stars
    I can understand the feeling that Christianity is being attacked or whatever, but it is kind of sad when an article like this is posted and the comments are all about respecting religious people's beliefs and not offending them.

What's been described in this article is abominable, and the fact that these people are protected under Idaho state law is a huge problem. I will say that the title could certainly be less incendiary, but I don't think things like this should just not be posted, because it's an important issue. And whatever you happen to believe, I think we can all agree that these cases should not be happening in the twenty first century.
    clh_hilary and carebear4eva like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Thank you for your polite post. Unfortunately, this poster based on history continues to post these types of stories... so it is not random. He often purposely selects these kinds of stories to post so as to put the Christian faith in a very poor light. It would be more 'random' if he also selects these kinds of stories to put down the Islamic faith, the Hindu faith, atheists, etc... but no, instead he picks on Christianity almost exclusively.
    Yeah let's just ignore the fact that the faith in christianity is harming all those poor children because I didn't post enough negative news on other religions.

For the record, I'm against all faith (apart from pastafarian) as well as atheists who advocate to ban all religions and/or feel that there's absolutely 0 possibility of any form of 'first cause' having existed. I posted about Rabi sucking babies' dicks and giving them STIs, I posted about islamic incidents which are relevant to the American public, I posted about rapes in India (which are indirectly related to the hindu faith if you look at gender inequality, never the less, the hindu faith is a lot more tolerant than the three middle-east faiths), and I chose not to post Professor Richard Dawkin's claim on President Obama being secretly an atheist because I think that's absolutely bullcrap and deserves no attention whatsoever, the same way I do not post how people have been saying Pres Obama is secretly a muslim.

Also, forgive me for having born into a christian family with a lot of people harmed by christianity and christianity alone, hence my news feed being filled with more of news from christianity not islam.

On another note, christianity and islam (the same goes to judaism) are actually the same religion, with different developments.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Just because Carrie is a christian doesn't mean I have to agree with her.
    You are free to believe what you want, that's the beauty of freedom. That being said, this article does not describe MY Christian faith nor the teachings within the faith. While I believe in the healing of Christ, that doesn't mean we dismiss the logic or treatment of modern medicine. Billy Graham is in the hospital, and a great man of faith. Prayers go out to him tonight.

By the way this is not a debate from me. It is my belief. Period. I hope you take this message with the kindness it is truly being given.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Yeah let's just ignore the fact that the faith in christianity is harming all those poor children because I didn't post enough negative news on other religions.

For the record, I'm against all faith (apart from pastafarian) as well as atheists who advocate to ban all religions and/or feel that there's absolutely 0 possibility of any form of 'first cause' having existed. I posted about Rabi sucking babies' dicks and giving them STIs, I posted about islamic incidents which are relevant to the American public, I posted about rapes in India (which are indirectly related to the hindu faith if you look at gender inequality, never the less, the hindu faith is a lot more tolerant than the three middle-east faiths), and I chose not to post Professor Richard Dawkin's claim on President Obama being secretly an atheist because I think that's absolutely bullcrap and deserves no attention whatsoever, the same way I do not post how people have been saying Pres Obama is secretly a muslim.

Also, forgive me for having born into a christian family with a lot of people harmed by christianity and christianity alone, hence my news feed being filled with more of news from christianity not islam.

On another note, christianity and islam (the same goes to judaism) are actually the same religion, with different developments.
    I actually think this is quite a plausible argument, lol. At this point in time, 99% of politically inclined people are going to say they are Christian, or at least of some sort of faith because they won't get voted into office otherwise. There is no way, absolutely no way an atheist would be elected President of the United States. If I were running for President, I'd probably say I was a Christian too, because otherwise you may as well not run at all. There was one member of Congress who was an atheist, he was defeated in the 2012 elections, now there are none. Out of 538 members of Congress, many of which hold graduate degrees, do you think it's likely that not one of them is an atheist, in a country where 20%+ consider themselves irreligious? I'm not saying President Obama is a closeted atheist, I just think that it's not a ludicrous assertation.

And we've officially veered off topic probably irrevocably. I apologize.
    carebear4eva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldyfan View Post
    You are free to believe what you want, that's the beauty of freedom. That being said, this article does not describe MY Christian faith nor the teachings within the faith. While I believe in the healing of Christ, that doesn't mean we dismiss the logic or treatment of modern medicine. Billy Graham is in the hospital, and a great man of faith. Prayers go out to him tonight.

By the way this is not a debate from me. It is my belief. Period. I hope you take this message with the kindness it is truly being given.
    And this is not about an opinion but the reality of faith. Faith by definition is believing without evidence. If you believe it in a 'good' way, then you may do good things with your faith; but if you believe it in a 'bad' way, you will do bad things with your faith. Everyone is free to believe what they want, but the boundary of freedom sets when you are making decisions about someone else due to your faith. Be it about medication for your child, marriage and abortion laws, or the life or death of anyone. By advocating christianity, you would be putting everybody else at risk because the majority christian will always attempt to force their values upon everybody else. And that is harming people. From black and women rights, to gay rights and climate change. America essentially is putting the entire world at risk with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    I actually think this is quite a plausible argument, lol. At this point in time, 99% of politically inclined people are going to say they are Christian, or at least of some sort of faith because they won't get voted into office otherwise. There is no way, absolutely no way an atheist would be elected President of the United States. If I were running for President, I'd probably say I was a Christian too, because otherwise you may as well not run at all. There was one member of Congress who was an atheist, he was defeated in the 2012 elections, now there are none. Out of 538 members of Congress, many of which hold graduate degrees, do you think it's likely that not one of them is an atheist, in a country where 20%+ consider themselves irreligious? I'm not saying President Obama is a closeted atheist, I just think that it's not a ludicrous assertation.

And we've officially veered off topic probably irrevocably. I apologize.

Yes, you would claim yourself christian this way. But this assertion is ludicrous in the sense that you can say that to everything. President Obama could be anything in this case, he could have been gay, an intersex, a transgender, a muslim, a terrorist, a spy from Russia, or born in Africa. That's because there are incentives doesn't prove anything.

If one is to argue that Pres Obama is more of a theist or a deist (or agnostic) based on his beliefs and personal choices (eg supporting gay marriage), then yeah, perhaps. But the evidence are showing that he does believe in some sort of a power, so there's no reason to believe that he's an atheist. Dawkins was merely trying to get more press time obviously.

Well apparently nobody cares about dead children dying due to their parents' faith so whatever.
    AIgrl06 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Never judge Christianity by what Christians do. But by their source of authority, the Bible. Which taught the opposite of say for example the Catholic church and its pope. Jesus never gave the apostles or any one permission to hurt, kill and destroy. That's the devil's job. Any payback is for the Lord to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie&Taylor View Post
    Never judge Christianity by what Christians do. But by their source of authority, the Bible. Which taught the opposite of say for example the Catholic church and its pope. Jesus never gave the apostles or any one permission to hurt, kill and destroy. That's the devil's job. Any payback is for the Lord to do.
    "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." (Matthew 10:34-37)

"I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?" (Luke 12:49)

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." (Luke 12:51-53)

Concert Stars
    "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." (Matthew 10:34-37)

"I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?" (Luke 12:49)

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." (Luke 12:51-53)
    But the reason for this originally would have been the passive nature of Christs teachings and calling.
    It would be by living a life wholely for Christ that a person would find themselves at odds with thier own family. It would by living a life wholely by Christs commandments that we find ourselves at odd with government/schools/playmates/organizations/neighbors.

The simple act of "loving thy neighbor as thyself" is so contrary to our own human instict, it causes friction. But not friction by the person "enacting" the love, but by those who can not understand it.

The simple commandment "This is my one and only commandment; That you Love One another, that your Joy may be full" is so difficult to do for the human animal, that it becomes a lifelong failure and fraily that is called "sin". That is why we all sin. No one is without it! Because no one can fully love unconditionally.

Christians are called to stand above all others, and thereby cause strife. But christians are not simply called to cause strife! It is those who are shamed by their actions that are causing strife.

Something as simple as Gay Marriage is why christianity will always cause strife.
    Because Christ never said or intended to say "what we should do to love eachother or how to do it" but that we do it.
    And as long as christians hold on to the idea of "hate the sin" they are committing sin themselves in their own hearts cause they are not following christs only one commandment. Love!

Its basically impossible, so it causes strife.

That can not be blames on christ saying he comes to create strife. He just knows people are going to fail, and therefore he recognizes that this commandment will cause strife.

So the commandments of christ do not cause strife.
    Its our inabilitly to do it that does.
    lizcarlo likes this.

The simple commandment "This is my one and only commandment; That you Love One another, that your Joy may be full" is so difficult to do for the human animal, that it becomes a lifelong failure and fraily that is called "sin". That is why we all sin. No one is without it! Because no one can fully love unconditionally.
    "And behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:16-17)

That can not be blames on christ saying he comes to create strife. He just knows people are going to fail, and therefore he recognizes that this commandment will cause strife.
    He explicitly stated that the entire point is to create conflicts. To put it positively, he was to crash the old systems and challenge old points of view because people were backward. He was a liberal 'socialist' after all. And he was not wrong. With the advent of the gospels, which of course were all written loooooong after Jesus had supposedly died, the world keeps getting into religious conflicts triggered by christianity or islam (which shares the same root with the Koran largely resembling The Bible). The irony is that the side representing Jesus had become the conservative side, the side Jesus himself so very much hated, and wanted to challenge.

The simple act of "loving thy neighbor as thyself" is so contrary to our own human instict, it causes friction.
    Just also want to point out, as a side note that, this is not exclusively a religious rule. Utilitarianism has been a part of Chinese philosophy (not under gods) since several hundred years before Jesus was supposed to have born.

•